• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE NEVERHOOD (claymation, p&c adventure game) developers making a new game

Fanboy squeal!

Give some fucking love to the Indie Games thread, that's where I got this info from and Musiol! :D

Facebook: The Neverhood
Through the years Neverhood fans have asked for another game, and I'm partnering with my EWJ and Neverhood buddies Mike Dietz and Ed Schofield to make a full sized, PC and Mac point and click adventure game in clay and puppet animation. New characters, but in my usual style. Terry Taylor is doing the music. Here's where you come in. What would you, the Neverhood fans, want to see in a new game? We'll read every suggestion and actually try to make all of the good ideas happen! Now it's your turn:
iw3RuocWh4Db7.jpg

Started on Twitter:
iblBG8FDJfwvJn.jpg

iZzTHEmTkKR9m.jpg

i1ktqXtpOLTUM.jpg

inZ1XW5MXZbJV.jpg

iXPLZcT8TcbVi.jpg

Pencil Test Studios is the animation company founded in 2009 by Mike Dietz (Aladdin, Earthworm Jim) and Ed Schofield who worked on Neverhood.

Neverhood (1996, PC) was my absolutely favorite game from childhood along with Jazz the Jackrabbit and Prince of Persia. It still has one of the best soundtracks in a game, thanks to Terry S. Taylor. The Hall of Records is one of the greatest and nonsensically detailed codices in a game ever.

Nevergood0105.jpg

iBGKVxdd7ygrS.gif

ivSTNh1c3lpRn.gif

The only other game I know that uses claymation and is a point-and-click adventure is The Dream Machine which is pretty awesome too and you should give it a go.

I'm guessing a Kickstarter is soon in the making.

Hey, you forgot to give love to the Indie Games thread!

epmode

In related news, it would be really neat to get The Neverhood on GOG/Steam!

And yeah, The Dream Machine is pretty good!

sappyday

I really liked Skullmonkeys as a kid however i never played Neverhood. I'll be interested in what the developer is gonna do.

dude

dude
Oh my god YES.
Kickstart this shit so that I can throw my money on it. Soundtrack by Terry S. Taylor is almost too good to be true as well.

EDIT: Fargo... I should have known he'll have something to do with this! He seems to have some sort of sinister plot to revive all my favorite games.

Seriously, what is going on today? Did we miss some sort of Apocalypse last night?

Between this and the Drakengard news, it's like...several dreams are converging into one massive reality.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Het_Nkik

This is crazy, never thought I'd see the day. I will give them all of my money. Well, most of my money. A lot of my money.

Some of my money.

Celegus

Ahhh I've been trying to think of the name of that game forever! It creeped me the heck out as a kid. I honestly can't stand the look of claymation because of this game. This is cool for people that liked it, but I don't exactly have great memories of it.

eshwaaz

Holy... this is amazing. The Neverhood was incredible. I have the entire soundtrack on my phone, and still marvel at its brilliance.

Boerseun

Banned
The majority opinion in this thread (so far) appears to be that The Neverhood was a great game. In my opinion, however, it was a terrible game, with few puzzles, few examples of good writing, and nary a thing of consequence for the player to do. It reminds me of another all style no substance pseudo-adventure game, Full Throttle. I can appreciate these titles for their artistic merit, but that is where my appreciation ends. The lack of depth kills replay value (besides showing off the art to your friends), and made finishing them even once a challenge.

Inkwell

Banned
First they need to put The Neverhood on GOG, and maybe Steam, though I could swear they were going to re-release the game on mobile devices. It's great that Terry Taylor is on board. The soundtrack for The Neverhood is just amazing.

Wiktor

Saw the thread, clicked it thinking "meh..don't get your hopes up, propably another mobile game"..then I raead the OP...now I feel like I've tasted sunshine and rainbows.

dude

dude
The majority opinion in this thread (so far) appears to be that The Neverhood was a great game. In my opinion, however, it was a terrible game, with few puzzles, few examples of good writing, and nary a thing of consequence for the player to do. It reminds me of another all style no substance pseudo-adventure game, Full Throttle. I can appreciate these titles for their artistic merit, but that is where my appreciation ends. The lack of depth kills replay value (besides showing off the art to your friends), and made finishing them even once a challenge.

I half agree with you. The Neverhood had a lot of faults, especially the puzzles - But to me, it more than made up for it in charm, humour and art direction. I found the writing to be very funny. I had tremendous amount of fun with the game, especially as a kid. It's a matter of taste.

I too don't hold Full Throttle in very high regards though.

If they can tie this in with a means to actually purchase and play the original games, I'm all in.

If EA is willing :p

The Facebook post has become more of an AMA. I just read through all 400+ comments, and here's what I got.

It'll try to be a spiritual successor:
i3EL1MSbfhsmk.jpg

Right now, no talks of mobile ports:
inUeDOAanxV9L.jpg

Why can't have cameos:
iJxnMdHtFXaa2.jpg

ifFKMGTic7QRw.jpg

ibcsp994Dn4DBA.jpg

Ah, the troubles of not fully voiced dialogue like in JRPGs:
ibsh9Cwfdqsmvu.jpg

3 tons of clay is still being used! In addition to other material:
ik4cJdj56UJ6E.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
What I'd like to not see is a room where you have to walk past 47 screens to flick a switch and then walk back. And each screen has (literally) walls of text, and to read it all takes 3 months.

More intuitive storytelling than that, please!

OmahaG8

came here to post this. those guys have a great sense of humor

There are two things my ~12 year old self remembers about Skullmonkeys. One being the bonus music, and two the ruthless, horrid difficulty of the game itself.

EDIT: Three - beans.

Oh my god, The Neverhood was one of my favorite games as a child. I can still remember when I went to the store to buy it with my mother. I can't remember the store (it wasn't a chain) I just know that she let me pick between 3 games, and I chose The Neverhood and fell in love with that game. I remember reading that damn long wall of mythology. Doubt I ever finished reading the whole thing, but I can remember spending a lot of time just reading that. I got clay and started making my own Klaymen and such. This news has just gotten me so giddy and nostalgic. I need to go listen to the soundtrack!

katkombat

Banned
I've always wanted to play The Neverhood, but I haven't been able to find it for under $20... :/ played skullmonkeys though... That was fun.

Mr_Zombie

A new Neverhood (or Neverhood-like) game? Oh YES!
The game's OST is phenomenal!

Ok, I never played original Neverhood. Is it still worth trying, and how does it run on modern day machines?

I have no idea if the game runs on modern day machines, but yes, it is worth playing. It has so-so puzzles, but the unique art style, humor and soundtrack are where the game really shines.

Mr_Zombie

The Hall of Records is one of the greatest and nonsensically detailed codices in a game ever.

Nevergood0105.jpg

I wonder if anyone even read that whole (literally) wall of text. I remember that when I first played the game I started reading it, since I thought it will be essential for a puzzle or the in-game story. But after 3rd or 4th screen I gave up. And then there were several more screens filled with text that just went on and on... D:
and then, at the end of the horribly long corridor - a single disk lying on the floor. That was cruel.

Ok, I never played original Neverhood. Is it still worth trying, and how does it run on modern day machines?

There is a restoration project, but I think that's just for if you already have the physical CD-ROM. I'll need to go find my physical copy if it works on Win 7.

I wonder if anyone even read that whole (literally) wall of text. I remember that when I first played the game I started reading it, since I thought it will be essential for a puzzle or the in-game story. But after 3rd or 4th screen I gave up. And then there were several more screens filled with text that just went on and on... D:
and then, at the end of the horribly long corridor - a single disk lying on the floor. That was cruel.

I read all of it. ALL OF IT.

When you're younger, you get lost in that mythos. It became a novel for me. I didn't really care there was something at the end of it.

Teknoman

I might need to play The Dream Machine. Wish I had the chance to play Neverhood, but only played the demo. I'll get Skullmonkeys one day.

Top Bottom