• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| |OT| Volunteer, coordinate, (index), create

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

I'm not sure if the user who posted the OT now had seen your claim in here. I certainly hadn't, which goes on to show that we need the new thread soon. It probably also didn't help that you didn't have the thread up even several hours after the game launched - most OTs are up a day before release so that people have a place to discuss once the game is available. For games that nobody cares about it might not matter, but Pokemon games have a relatively higher interest I guess.

If you had something prepared, maybe ask him to add that to the OT?

Forkball

So claiming doesn't mean anything? Cool.
You are in the right, but 99% of GAF has no idea this thread exists. I almost never post in this thread, but only popped in because there was no GS OT and I was going to make it if no one was working on it. There is rarely an OT overlap considering the amount of effort a general OT takes, but with a VC version with no new additions, it's easy for anyone to slap together. The game was already out in Japan/Aussieland and maybe even Europe when the OT was posted. And again, you underestimated the zeal of Pokémon fans. Next time, post it a day before release.

So claiming doesn't mean anything? Cool.
Don't worry it happens to us from time to time. I reserved the OT for Shantae HGH but due to some circumstances I had to collaborate with another GAFer. I sent him all the media I made when lo and behold another GAFer out of nowhere made the thread minutes before we posted ours.

After requesting a mod to combine the two threads everything was put together from the two.

....except for any acknowledgement or credit that I created the images and headlines. So I guess the images were credit to one of the two GAFers who now owned the thread. I was a little peeved. Literally every other GAFer was thanked but me.

Yeah that sounds really petty haha but I can't help but feel a but upset every time I visit that OT thread.
So, how to do this?

#2 You
#3 Me
#4 You

or the other way around? what timezone are you in, we should coordinate this :D
Actually, to be safe, you can have full rights to the new OT OT. Thinking about my last "collaboration" as mentioned above soured me on this heh heh. But you'll do great! Good luck!

TheMoon

Don't worry it's happens to us from time to time. I reserved the OT for Shantae HGH but due to some circumstances I had to collaborate with another GAFer. I sent him all the media I made when lo and behold another GAFer out of nowhere made the thread minutes before we posted ours.

After requesting a mod to combine the two threads everything was put together from the two.

....except for any acknowledgement or credit that I created the images and headlines. So I guess the images were credit to one of the two GAFers who now owned the thread. I was a little peeved. Literally every other GAFer was thanked but me.

Yeah that sounds really petty haha but I can't help but feel a but upset every time I visit that OT thread.

Actually, to be safe, you can have full rights to the new OT OT. Thinking about my last "collaboration" as mentioned above soured me on this heh heh. But you'll do great! Good luck!

That sounds like an unpleasant experience. At least warn a brother before backstabbing. Like your friendly backstabby moon does!

I'll throw together a new OP based on this one and all the necessary stuff. I'll try to streamline the instructions a bit and finally include the 1-year-out rule :D

Shiggy

That sounds like an unpleasant experience. At least warn a brother before backstabbing. Like your friendly backstabby moon does!

I'll throw together a new OP based on this one and all the necessary stuff. I'll try to streamline the instructions a bit and finally include the 1-year-out rule :D

Before that rule is in place, I quickly claim the OTs for the next 3D Mario (the one after Odyssey), the next F-Zero, and The Last Story 2 :p

luulubuu

I'm not sure if the user who posted the OT now had seen your claim in here. I certainly hadn't, which goes on to show that we need the new thread soon. It probably also didn't help that you didn't have the thread up even several hours after the game launched - most OTs are up a day before release so that people have a place to discuss once the game is available. For games that nobody cares about it might not matter, but Pokemon games have a relatively higher interest I guess.

If you had something prepared, maybe ask him to add that to the OT?

At this point I rather just ignore it, and no, I cant post earlier since I work a lot I dont think im the one to blame here

TheMoon

At this point I rather just ignore it, and no, I cant post earlier since I work a lot I dont think im the one to blame here

Just a reminder, we encourage knife fights.

or was I the only one at that meeting. it was dark and my eyes may or may not have been closed.

luulubuu

But he's sleeping!

1475810204314.png
Easier for me then

BiggNife

You were slower than a Gen VII Pokémon and underestimated the savage hunger of the Pokémon fan base. You can make the RSE VC thread for Switch... if you're fast enough.

"You're too slow" is stupid when the whole point of this thread is to reserve threads. That defeats the entire purpose of why this thread exists.

I will say Nemesis' lack of updating the OP has thrown a lot of people off so maybe the guy just didn't know it was reserved.

TheMoon

I will say Nemesis' lack of updating the OP has thrown a lot of people off so maybe the guy just didn't know it was reserved.

possible, but when in doubt, check "latest update" in the OP, realize that was two months ago, and then ask if you don't wanna bother going through the last few pages by hand (you'll get a snarky response from me most likely but that comes with the territory).

Simo

You're including the General list too right? I just don't want to find out later or out of a blue a OT I called was taken by someone else, even though claimed it by the rules. :p

Cornbread78

You're including the General list too right? I just don't want to find out later or out of a blue a OT I called was taken by someone else, even though claimed it by the rules. :p

If you claimed and OT in here and someone posted one anyway, you can/should PM a mod and they will close it and post yours. That is whole purpose of this thread.

luulubuu

If you claimed and OT in here and someone posted one anyway, you can/should PM a mod and they will close it and post yours. That is whole purpose of this thread.

But someone said I should be faster next time, even though if I'm doing this to help the community with my spare time!

Cornbread78

I call Kirito. I'm the MC so I can't die. Plus I have a girl. Or two. Or five.
Uh oh.

Gotta take responsibility for that harem Kirito......

So, how to do this?

#2 You
#3 Me
#4 You

or the other way around? what timezone are you in, we should coordinate this :D

That works. You two kids plan it out and make sure you get the first few posts. Also, make sure the OT Clearly outlines the rules are in the OT now.

At the same time, We should ask a mod to sticky a thread introducing the OT thread and give a quick overview as a reminder to everyone, so nobody can say that they "didn't know"

If it is being updated, then there is not excuse.

Can the 4th post of the OT be an index of all the posted OTs that were claimed....

Cornbread78

But someone said I should be faster next time, even though if I'm doing this to help the community with my spare time!

I think that was a joke. If you had a legitimate claim, then you can PM a mod and that OT will be locked and yours will replace it, even if it was a masterpiece; there are rules for a reason.

Gotta take responsibility for that harem Kirito......

That works. You two kids plan it out and make sure you get the first few posts. Also, make sure the OT Clearly outlines the rules are in the OT now.

At the same time, We should ask a mod to sticky a thread introducing the OT thread and give a quick overview as a reminder to everyone, so nobody can say that they "didn't know"

If it is being updated, then there is not excuse.

Can the 4th post of the OT be an index of all the posted OTs that were claimed....
Believe me I'd go insane if I took "that" responsibility. I love kids but maybe not 5 at once!

Also TheMoon is now fully in charge of the OT OT. I'm not involved anymore.

luulubuu

I think that was a joke. If you had a legitimate claim, then you can PM a mod and that OT will be locked and yours will replace it, even if it was a masterpiece; there are rules for a reason.

I don't want to be that girl, people are having fun and I sent a PM already to the OP to at least aknowledge them about this stuff. Honestly, this was not cool for me and I guess I will stop caring and making the effort to produce cool OTs, after the ones I have, I'm probably to be donezol.

Not cool

I don't want to be that girl, people are having fun and I sent a PM already to the OP to at least aknowledge them about this stuff. Honestly, this was not cool for me and I guess I will stop caring and making the effort to produce cool OTs, after the ones I have, I'm probably to be donezol.

Not cool
No offense but just because you had one bad experience doesn't mean that you should throw in the towel and quit after you finish the threads you already claimed.

Like I said I had a bad experience with making an OT and someone else taking it from me but it didn't stop me from continuing on and making the StarCraft, Undertale, and the upcoming Skyrim and Sims 4 OTs. And I worked hard to make sure that Shantae OT looked nice. I'm not as good as you when it comes to skills but I'm just happy making an OT.

My OTs suck but when more things are getting closer to release I'll still be making OTs. It's fun for me.

luulubuu

No offense but just because you had one bad experience doesn't mean that you should throw in the towel and quit after you finish the threads you already claimed.

Like I said I had a bad experience with making an OT and someone else taking it from me but it didn't stop me from continuing on and making the StarCraft, Undertale, and the upcoming Skyrim and Sims 4 OTs. And I worked hard to make sure that Shantae OT looked nice. I'm not as good as you when it comes to skills but I'm just happy making an OT.

My OTs suck but when more things are getting closer to release I'll still be making OTs. It's fun for me.

Actually, is not that but the "You should have been more quick" well no? Fuck that entitled attitude.

Shiggy

As a rule of thumb, post your OT a day before release and you won't run into such issues. You can't expect users to wait until eternity just because you claimed the thread. If you don't have the time to create the OT in time because of your work, then it might be best to not claim it or ask others for help to speed things up.

OTs are place for discussions at release.

Cornbread78

As a rule of thumb, post your OT a day before release and you won't run into such issues. You can't expect users to wait until eternity just because you claimed the thread. If you don't have the time to create the OT in time because of your work, then it might be best to not claim it or ask others for help to speed things up.

24 hours prior to earliest release is fine for smaller games, but larger games should only be posted about 12 hours prior to release to reduce the number of "HYPEDDDD" posts prior to launch.

Reminds me that those updated guidelines should be clearly outlines in the OP of the new OT thread as well.

luulubuu

Life stuff > > > > an OT

And I announced when I was posting it, stop making me the bad one here, thanks.

I just ignore it cause it happened to me too but it's up to you. I shouldn't be trying to convince you.

You can walk away if it's better.

I actually appreciate it, thanks

TheMoon

that part sounds like more work than keeping the claims up-to-date :D

24 hours prior to earliest release is fine for smaller games, but larger games should only be posted about 12 hours prior to release to reduce the number of "HYPEDDDD" posts prior to launch.

Reminds me that those updated guidelines should be clearly outlines in the OP of the new OT thread as well.

I stayed up super late one time in my early OT-career because I didn't realize we could post before the game is actually "out" via digital midnight release... :D

BiggNife

The whole point of this thread is to reserve OTs

Saying "If you're too slow then it's anyone's game" is 1) not a rule and 2) ridiculous in this context because luu was going to post it the day of

Like the least the the creator of the GS OP could've done is PM luu and ask her about it first but he didn't do that

Shiggy

Reminds me that those updated quidelines should be clearly outlines in the OP of the new OT thread as well.

Such a strict limit is not very practical because games are often available at different times due to different time zones. What might be 12 hours till release in the US can already be a released title in Australia and Europe, as the release of Pokemon Gold/Silver just illustrated. The less strict "day limit" seems to work pretty fine.

Life stuff > > > > an OT

And I announced when I was posting it, stop making me the bad one here, thanks.

As said, then don't claim the thread if you don't have the time to create the OT in a timely fashion. Other people want to discuss about the games they got and there simply wasn't any suitable thread for that for Pokemon Gold/Silver. Don't get so worked up about it.

The whole point of this thread is to reserve OTs

Saying "If you're too slow then it's anyone's game" is 1) not a rule and 2) ridiculous in this context because luu was going to post it the day of

Like the least the the creator of the GS OP could've done is PM luu and ask her about it first but he didn't do that

So would you have proposed that user to create a "Pokemon Gold/Silver Game Discussion" thread instead due to the lack of an OT?

Let's just stop for now. It's not helping when both parties are pointing fingers, no matter who has the correct answer.

If it needs to escalate then PMing would be best.

Man am I so HYPEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDASDFDDDDD for the new OT OT thread!

*gets shot by Cornbread78.

BiggNife

As said, then don't claim the thread if you don't have the time to create the OT in a timely fashion. Other people want to discuss about the games they got and there simply wasn't any suitable thread for that for Pokemon Gold/Silver. Don't get so worked up about it.

It's

the

same

day

You're acting like she was a week late

And when you put days of work into a OT only for it to go unused that fucking sucks so saying "don't get so worked up" is unfair

Shiggy

It's

the

same

day

You're acting like she was a week late

And when you put days of work into a OT only for it to go unused that fucking sucks so saying "don't get so worked up" is unfair

As said before, contact the user (or mod) to add that stuff to the OT then. Not sure what's so bad about that.

Edit: To add to Cornbread78's suggestion, maybe have it as part of the guidelines that the OT is ready before release. That would avoid such situations.

luulubuu

So would you have proposed that user to create a "Pokemon Gold/Silver Game Discussion" thread instead due to the lack of an OT?

First of all, you don't have any entitlement to say any of these, the rules specifies the same day or a day before, theres no a hype gauge to size these things so shut. up.

I had it and I said that was a work and It would be posted after that, same day of release, so try to drill that.

and I'm sorry, people talking about what's the best starter is such an important discussion to have that I have to anticipate every move for a community that is only busting my good intentions.

I will claim the ones I want to and I'm willing to work on them and you are nobody to tell me otherwise.

Shiggy

First of all, you don't have any entitlement to say any of these, the rules specifies the same day or a day before, theres no a hype gauge to size these things so shut. up.

Watch your manners...

I had it and I said that was a work and It would be posted after that, same day of release, so try to drill that.

and I'm sorry, people talking about what's the best starter is such an important discussion to have that I have to anticipate every move for a community that is only busting my good intentions.

I will claim the ones I want to and I'm willing to work on them and you are nobody to tell me otherwise.

Claim what you want if you have the time to do the OTs, I don't see any problem with that nor do I intend to stop you from creating any OTs. I even suggested that you contact the person who created the OT to add your content. Or contact a mod to add your content. So what exactly is your problem here?

But as said before, just don't be surprised when others create the OT when they want to discuss about their new games when they are already out for half a day.

Cornbread78

Such a strict limit is not very practical because games are often available at different times due to different time zones. What might be 12 hours till release in the US can already be a released title in Australia and Europe, as the release of Pokemon Gold/Silver just illustrated. The less strict "day limit" seems to work pretty fine.

As early as 12 hours before the earliest release time or if there are a bunch of people already playing due to a broken street date, etc is not "strict." It's the standard now.
Mods have asked people to stop posting them early and there is no debate there so as a community, lets follow their lead and do as asked....

Not sure why these basic standards are an issue suddenly..

Simo

Yeah no biggie, I was just making sure the General list of OTs without specific dates gets carried over to the new thread since myself and others have OTs listed there.

Also the whole time before a thread can go up was admin/mod created and enforced that Cornbread listed and I thought was pretty well known. If for some reason you think the thread should go up early due to unforseen circumstances like broken street dates or early screenings etc then you gotta PM a mod and get approval.

TheMoon

Let's just stop for now. It's not helping when both parties are pointing fingers, no matter who has the correct answer.

If it needs to escalate then PMing would be best.

Man am I so HYPEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDASDFDDDDD for the new OT OT thread!

*gets shot by Cornbread78.

aww man, I could come up with temp subtitles for all claims and have my own little subtitle party! :O holy shit, that is genius!

tenor.gif

Edit: To add to Cornbread78's suggestion, maybe have it as part of the guidelines that the OT is ready before release. That would avoid such situations.

Eww, I often throw them together the day-of XD

I'd want to avoid nailing down things too much like that. Has anyone talked to the Pokemon GS VC thread creator about this?

TheMoon it would be a good time to post the new thread if it's ready.

Tomorrow morning.

Yeah no biggie, I was just making sure the General list of OTs without specific dates gets carried over to the new thread since myself and others have OTs listed there.

Also the whole time before a thread can go up was admin/mod created and enforced that Cornbread listed and I thought was pretty well known. If for some reason you think the thread should go up early due to unforseen circumstances like broken street dates or early screenings etc then you gotta PM a mod and get approval.

I have OTs in there myself, don't worry :)

Shiggy

As early as 12 hours before the earliest release time or if there are a bunch of people already playing due to a broken street date, etc is not "strict." It's the standard now.
Mods have asked people to stop posting them early and there is no debate there so as a community, lets follow their lead and do as asked....

Not sure why these basic standards are an issue suddenly..

Well, the bolded part adds information here. Just saying "12 hours before release" was very vague and left room for discussion as it didn't make clear which release region it would refer to or what would happen in case of broken street dates. I for example didn't know that posting OTs early due to broken street days was OK. But if you want to make it more specific in the new thread, then it should really be this specific.

Not sure how much of an effect it will have anyway. If I post an OT 12 hours before midnight in Australia, then that's still more than a day out for New York (assuming a launch on the same date), giving plenty of time for "HYPE" posts despite following the 12 hour guideline since only a minority of users on here is Australia-based. Anyway, haven't really come across threads where there were issues related to the current vague guidelines ("no more than one day before release") so I guess the issues you described aren't very widespread.

Eww, I often throw them together the day-of XD

I'd want to avoid nailing down things too much like that. Has anyone talked to the Pokemon GS VC thread creator about this?

As long as those are games that nobody cares about, it's not an issue I guess. Having an OT OT that's up-to-date should also help.

And no, nobody has talked to him/her apparently. luulubuu was busy whining about how mean I am ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom