• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(ND Jan 23rd 2013) New Pikmin 3 Screenshots

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
God it looks gorgeous... and then I look at the ground.

I'm sure they measured each camera angle to help minimize the pain, but the game is so gorgeous, it hurts to see texture work that is so obtuse.

I thought that the announced camera functionality sounds pretty damn cool. Not something I can see myself messing with for months down the line, but a cool addition nonetheless.

The Lamp

The texture work is so inconsistent. Why do the environments look like blurry horseshit but the enemy and Pikmin models look clean and vibrant?

iPZPGCP0YNC45.png

Textures CAN look great in this game. o_O

And the lighting and color is FUCKING INSANE!!!

The problem is that this is one pretty rock in a sea of blurry floors and ledges.

The environment needs to be consistent, at least.

We still don't know what you will be collecting this time other than some fruit that was shown previously. I doubt that's all you have to collect in this one and if it is I will be dissapointed.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
We still don't know what you will be collecting this time other than some fruit that was shown previously. I doubt that's all you have to collect in this one and if it is I will be dissapointed.

olimar has scurvy confirmed.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Love the eyeballs on the bulborbs
Love the colors
Love the lighting
Love the butterflies/moths
Love the scenic backgrounds

I can't wait *.*

Porcile

Looks like it got a nice graphical boost. Hopefully it gets further refined as it nears closer to release. It's been in development for long enough that the gameplay and design must be fairly set in stone by now.

guek

Banned
Games in motion are like screenshots but at 10x kaioken anyway.

Pikmin 3 gives me more confidence though that despite the vocal minority that would like a prettier game, we're pretty close, if not right at, that level of fidelity that will look "good enough" for 95% of the population, provided the art style is up to par and the hardware is well used.

Maybe that theory will change once PS4/XB3 debut but I'm doubtful.

So these are all in-game shots that you can take yourself from Olimar/Pikmin level? If so that is a very cool feature and should make good use of the GamePad.

I wonder if you can get a shot of the inside of a Bulborb.

It looks amazing because its taken from the feature CG film NIntendo will release close to or along side the game.

Here's hoping for some actual "in game" screenshots. Tired of all the pre rendered cinematics BS to advertise games.

ArynCrinn

Banned
It looks amazing because its taken from the feature CG film NIntendo will release close to or along side the game.

Here's hoping for some actual "in game" screenshots. Tired of all the pre rendered cinematics BS to advertise games.

Game should look relatively close though. Bullshots or not.

The game looks great for what it is, now it just needs to finally release.

What the hell are you talking about.
{^_^}
Game should look relatively close though. Bullshots or not.

The game looks great for what it is, now it just needs to finally release.
If we are talking about the screen caps in the OT maybe the "enhanced" IQ is due because of downsampling. So maybe they arent bullshots in the strict sense of the word. So yea, bearing some extra aliasing the game will look like that. Texture improvements from the E3 version are a galaxy apart and some enhanced lighting effects too. The extra time is being put to good use.

Amir0x

Banned

i am not even sure i get the joke, since this looks so far even from mid-tier Xbox 360 titles that to confuse it for a CG title must mean there's some joke I'm missing

zashga

Looks great to me. I really love the monster designs, and the pikmin themselves look amazing. Hopefully we'll get a release date sometime soon.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm suprised at all the people saying this looks good graphically. It looks like shit to me.

Low polygon count, horrible IQ, rough textures, etc etc. looks horrid.

I'm suprised at all the people saying this looks good graphically. It looks like shit to me.

Low polygon count, horrible IQ, rough textures, etc etc. looks horrid.

Safe to assume most people are judging the overall aesthetic and design, rather than the technical achievements.

guek

Banned
{^_^}

If we are talking about the screen caps in the OT maybe the "enhanced" IQ is due because of downsampling. So maybe they arent bullshots in the strict sense of the word. So yea, bearing some extra aliasing the game will look like that. Texture improvements from the E3 version are a galaxy apart and some enhanced lighting effects too. The extra time is being put to good use.

Seriously now, are you trying to be an ass or not? If so, be more overt with it goddamnit!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Boy I REALLY hope that this "take pictures with the GamePad" thing is how you flesh out your Piklopedia, like some cross between Wind Waker's figure gallery and Pokemon Snap, where it detects good photos and identifies the enemies in them.

Well, it's no Watch_dogs now is it? And we all know that game is awesome. With AAA ground textures.

Who does Miyamoto think he is? Focusing on gameplay? Nothing nextgen about that... /s

Game looks really fun, with amazing art direction. Some really cool dof and lighting.

Ryoku

Low poly count and anisotropic filtering leave more to be desired.

However, since the game will be played from a top-down perspective, the low poly count will be less noticeable, and the lack of anisotropic filtering even less so (especially the ground textures, which I'm sure are much sharper than these screenshots may have you believe).

On the other hand, it would be nice of Nintendo to go ahead and add anisotropic filtering so that shots like the one of the rock would be able to shine much more, and the photo-mode would be greatly improved because of it. I personally don't mind the low poly count. It may be one of the legacies that the original Wii development has left us. Performance hit on the GPU may be very miniscule.

ANYWAYS, the game looks to be shaping up nicely. I can't wait until I grab myself a Wii U sometime in spring or summer.
Or a 3DS. Maybe both. Fuck, Nintendo, so many games I want! Pokemon, HNNGG

Margalis

Banned
AF in photo mode would be nice. For the actual game it would make almost no difference the vast majority of the time.

Still think Halo Wars looks better though.*

* = lol

Top Bottom