• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record |OT2|

Foliorum Viridum said:
I watched the QL of this last night and it's pretty embarrassing.

I hope it fails. That's from a big fan of the first two games.

It's a little sad yeah. Would have been WAY more acceptable as a budget DLC.

Orayn

AgentOtaku said:
I'm guessing it adds just enough that they couldn't easily release it as a straight add-on. A hybrid thing like the GTA episodes would have been nice, though.

B-Dex

Yep. Definately changed her design.

Original:
Dead_rising_2_case_1-1_cutscene00065_justin_tv_(3).png

I couldn't find a pic of her new look but her face is completely different. More "realistic" I guess.

EDIT: Found one. (Well made one)
pf2wV.jpg

Jigsaw

Banned
i will only buy this if rebecca
survives this time,i won't carry her through the whole damn city again just so she gets shot in the head again minutes later,so please someone spoiler me

derFeef

Chinner said:
i dunno what the difference is? different eyes and smaller mouth>??
Lips, shape of chin and jawline... everything. I liked her old look better to be honest, now she looks like Mrs. Anybody.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Jigsaw said:
i will only buy this if rebecca
survives this time,i won't carry her through the whole damn city again just so she gets shot in the head again minutes later,so please someone spoiler me
I totally know what you mean. What you spoiler marked is probably the biggest blemish of DR2. When it happened, I was pretty mad and disappointed, since I was having a blast playing through DR2 coop.

Jaroof

I just unlocked
zombie walk
How do you use it? It gives you the controls, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Edit: Never mind. Got it. Was thinking it did something else.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Anybody got this on PC? Did they optimize this port better than DR2?
Couldn't get 60fps locked for the life of me with evetything maxed and 2xAA on DR2 even if much more demanding games gave me no problem.
Since I've yet ti really sink my teeth on DR2 I'd play this one instead if the port is better this time.

AgentOtaku said:

For better or worse, that just wasn't possible in this case. It's not a skin swap; its a ton of new voice recording, a new zone, new combos, a new UI, etc. Basically, a $30-40 remix/polish/super-gold-edition game that for some reason got $50 worth of development time into it. It's literally unpatchable.

The problem is - and I think this better speaks to your point - it's unclear why this was greenlit for development versus shipping a model change DLC 6 months ago and spending all of the development dollars on DR3. I love that the game is almost the polished final-cut of DR2, but they missed out on a lot of features that would have really taken it in that direction (Chuck's story, for instance.) As it is, the game is "better" but at the same time just some alternate universe take.

As mentioned earlier in this thread it will be interesting to see which version is "canon" going forward.

I'm just going to wait for the inevitable "Super" Hyper Dead Rising 2 that we all know Capcom will release next quarter.

*All the DLC
*Both Storymodes
*Online TiR
*Blah blah Sandbox

bubnbob

Banned
KibblesBits said:
I'm just going to wait for the inevitable "Super" Hyper Dead Rising 2 that we all know Capcom will release next quarter.

*All the DLC
*Both Storymodes
*Online TiR
*Blah blah Sandbox

I'll buy that too.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have the DR2 Zombrex Edition I bought last year on sale and did not play. Should I play that, or just try to get rid of it and play this?

I do want to play DR2. I just don't know if it should be that or this.

Jintor

how much do you like

a) photography

B) frank west

Ithought DR2 was perfectly acceptable with the stoic Chuck Greene at the helm. And his daughter was one of the least offensive child characters in gaming I've ever seen. But if you like Frank more...

hamchan said:
This doesn't include all the DLC? wtf

No, it's a seperate bag this time, its own DLC whatever that may be.

For those with a fishiness alarm, there is no DLC available yet but you can download the 30 meg patch that allows you to play with people that have said theoretical DLC.

:/

diffusionx said:
I have the DR2 Zombrex Edition I bought last year on sale and did not play. Should I play that, or just try to get rid of it and play this?

I do want to play DR2. I just don't know if it should be that or this.

If you already have DR2 and can't get the money you paid for it back, may as well stick with that one. At least, on 360. It's basically the same game; you don't get the extra content and you have to put up with Chuck instead of Frank, but I'm guessing you get 75-80% the same experience. If you want to play co-op with strangers, strongly prefer Frank to Chuck, or just want the better version of the game you may want to switch.

Jintor said:
And his daughter was one of the least offensive child characters in gaming I've ever seen.
I'll miss the gift quests, that's for sure. Poor tiger.

there's a $10 off coupon in a best buy magazine but you gotta buy the magazine though.

hopefully this goes on sale for $30 before November so the coupon can make it $20.

damn red box, i wish they got this :(

How is this version "better" exactly? My only real beef with the original version was the poor framerate, and allegedly it's worse now since they added more zombies.

Also, I think Chuck is a more likable character than Frank.

Dram

BY2K said:
There's actually a reason for Stacey's redesign. You'll know when you get there.

Is it because
it's actually Stacey's sister? Since this is a what if game, they could change the story somewhat. They already have Evan the clown as a boss, who I think is the brother of Adam; the clown from the first Dead Rising.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Dram said:
Is it because
it's actually Stacey's sister? Since this is a what if game, they could change the story somewhat. They already have Evan the clown as a boss, who I think is the brother of Adam; the clown from the first Dead Rising.

Nope.

The reason is (late game spoiler btw):
In the original DR2, Sullivan works for the company that makes zombrex and shoots Rebecca. In Off The Record, it's Stacey. So I guess the redesign was to give her a more evil-ish look.

Nabs

Dash Kappei said:
Anybody got this on PC? Did they optimize this port better than DR2?
Couldn't get 60fps locked for the life of me with evetything maxed and 2xAA on DR2 even if much more demanding games gave me no problem.
Since I've yet ti really sink my teeth on DR2 I'd play this one instead if the port is better this time.
What does your setup look like?

AgentOtaku said:
Same here. They bump it up to 720p or AT LEAST add Vsync, I'll get the PS3 version over 360.

Im in the exact same boat, hopefully we can get some info soon. Though with it being a small re-release I don't anticipate much in depth analysis.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Did they balance the Psycho fights? Maybe it's just me, but I hit a real brickwall with the hippie psycho in the bathroom.

Compared to DR1(which I beat in its entirety), I just could not figure out a good strategy against that asshole and gave up. And that was the first goddamn boss fight!

Fuck, just talking about this makes me want to put the disc in and retry... Some reason feel the urge to beat DR2 Chuck edition before bothering with Frank edition.

ArjanN

Brandon F said:
Did they balance the Psycho fights? Maybe it's just me, but I hit a real brickwall with the hippie psycho in the bathroom.

Compared to DR1(which I beat in its entirety), I just could not figure out a good strategy against that asshole and gave up. And that was the first goddamn boss fight!

Fuck, just talking about this makes me want to put the disc in and retry... Some reason feel the urge to beat DR2 Chuck edition before bothering with Frank edition.

You can make all the bossfights in DR2 really easy by levelling up. (by starting over)

That psycho is likely the first you run into and I felt they clearly designed him to be a speedbump, the trick it to not chase him, just wait for him to come to you, dodge his attack (jump away if you don't have the dodge roll yet) and hit him once or twice. It just takes some patience. Also, the defiler (axe+sledgehammer) owns everything in the game and you can make that in the first save room. It also a good idea to bring some food.

It's pretty funny though once you're high enough level you can beat most of the psychos in like 10 seonds.

ArjanN said:
You can make all the bossfights in DR2 really easy by levelling up. (by starting over)

That psycho is likely the first you run into and I felt they clearly designed him to be a speedbump, the trick it to not chase him, just wait for him to come to you, dodge his attack (jump away if you don't have the dodge roll yet) and hit him once or twice. It just takes some patience. Also, the defiler (axe+sledgehammer) owns everything in the game and you can make that in the first save room. It also a good idea to bring some food.

It's pretty funny though once you're high enough level you can beat most of the psychos in like 10 seonds.
One aspect I really didn't like in DR2 that seemed to carry over from DR1 was the random upgrades. Some randomness is ok but I'm playing DR2 now and didn't get the roll until around level 18 (and still don't have the defiler or the boxing glove weapon) and it really made earlier boss fights fall from challenging to un-fun. The mascot psycho with the flamethrowers was particularly bad because the range of the fire was so significant (I think I was pounding down wine and cheesing the environment to get through that one).

YoungHav said:
Off the record. I thought it was downloadable DLC? It's a disc add-on?

Its not an add on at all, its a full re-release of the original DR2 with alterations and a few new areas. Its like the DMC 3 re-release that let you play as Virgil and other costumes with a new easy mode.

Still wish I could find some info on if the PS3 version is improved over the original DR2 or if this version will be even worse because of the higher enemy count.

Xander51

YoungHav said:
Is this out on PSN yet? I am confused.

It's not coming out on PSN as far as I know, it's a retail disc product.

I'm thinking about picking up the PC version, even though I never finished original DR2.

Brandon F said:

I found him much easier in this - one of the reasons is that there are more food items scattered around the place - throw/knock over a bin & there'll be food in there 80% of the time & I think there are 2 bins close by to this psycho.

Also;
Boxing Gloves + Bowie Knife
are incredibly easy to get and are incredibly powerful. You should always at least have a Nail Bat on you at all times anyway.

Of All Trades said:
One aspect I really didn't like in DR2 that seemed to carry over from DR1 was the random upgrades. Some randomness is ok but I'm playing DR2 now and didn't get the roll until around level 18 (and still don't have the defiler or the boxing glove weapon) and it really made earlier boss fights fall from challenging to un-fun. The mascot psycho with the flamethrowers was particularly bad because the range of the fire was so significant (I think I was pounding down wine and cheesing the environment to get through that one).

What do you mean 'and still don't have the weapons' ? You know the combo cards only give more PP, right? You can still construct the weapons before you get the cards.

Yeah, this dude is annoying, but remember the gun shop is right around the corner, making this fight MUCH easier.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Started playing this today, I have to say very ho hum about the game so far. The photography is an addition that i'm not even using .. maybe i'm too tuned to playing dead rising 2 without it.

Also is it just me or does Stacy's voice changes from time to time ? probably because of them splicing new and old lines, not that noticeable with others though.

Top Bottom