• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be ideal casting, but the role is
too small for Ron Perlman. I cant see HBO paying the funds for a big actor like Ron Perlman for such a minor role, unless Ron Perlman offered to do it at a huge discount

Ron Perlman works for cheap as far as I know.

How much do you think he got for Scorpion King 3 or Banruku?

Lol of all the things to complain about. If you guys get tits, ass and vageen on a weekly basis, we're entitled to SUGGESTIVE sucking.

My problem is it just sounds wrong. Like they are intentionally adding the sucking sound if only TO laugh at the idea.

Snake

Would you guys recommend reading AGoT before ACoK? I know it sounds silly, but I've already watched the series twice so I know all of the major plot twists and such, but I kinda feel like I'm cheating the series if I just skip the first book, but at the same time I don't feel as if I'd be totally compelled to read something when I know what happens.

Usually wouldn't do this, but it was worth an ask.

There's some important stuff in the book that the show doesn't at all cover. I read the first book after watching Season 1 and I still got a lot out of it.

There's some important stuff in the book that the show doesn't at all cover. I read the first book after watching Season 1 and I still got a lot out of it.

I think the biggest thing lost in season 1 from GoT is a focus on the Direwolves connection to the children (which seems like it is being remedied in season 2) and some dream sequences but otherwise, season 1 is a really faithful adaption.

SickBoy

How far can you safely read without fear of seriously spoiling the show?

I think I'm much happier to read a book where I've got a sense of what happens next, than I am to watch a TV show where I know how the plot goes. For that reason, I appreciate that the Walking Dead diverged a fair bit from the comics.

Roche

Would you guys recommend reading AGoT before ACoK? I know it sounds silly, but I've already watched the series twice so I know all of the major plot twists and such, but I kinda feel like I'm cheating the series if I just skip the first book, but at the same time I don't feel as if I'd be totally compelled to read something when I know what happens.

You might as well if you're enjoying the series you might as well read the book, I started reading them when I was halfway through the first series and it didn't retract at all from the events in the book.

Ark

I'll take the plunge and dive straight into ACoK I think, I'll certainly read AGoT eventually, but maybe not first.

Chris R

I'll take the plunge and dive straight into ACoK I think, I'll certainly read AGoT eventually, but maybe not first.

I'd suggest going for AGOT first, just because you will be able to adapt to the writing style while reading a story that should be mostly familiar to you, as well as pick up on several things that the show never even covered.

apana

After season 1 was finished I just went ahead and read Clash of Kings first, it was fine. I was more motivated to get through some of the less interesting parts because I wanted to know what the next plot twist was. After I finished ADWD I went back and read the first book.

KingK

If your only motivation and interest in the series is seeing how the plot develops, by all means skip the first book.

If you are interested in world building, quality writing, and character growth and development then I would highly recommend reading AGoT first.

anaron

Ron Perlman works for cheap as far as I know.

How much do you think he got for Scorpion King 3 or Banruku?

My problem is it just sounds wrong. Like they are intentionally adding the sucking sound if only TO laugh at the idea.

It IS dumb, just like most of the pointless littlefinger brothel scenes. I just want equal gratuitousness. :p

Kuroyume

Banned

I don't know how fast of a reader you are it's very easy to get hooked and burn through them within two weeks. I think it's worth reading the first one because you'll see names of smaller houses that are mentioned repeatedly throughout the books but are barely covered on the show. I think that may throw you off if you begin from ACOK, but other than that I don't see any other issues.

Ark

I'd suggest going for AGOT first, just because you will be able to adapt to the writing style while reading a story that should be mostly familiar to you, as well as pick up on several things that the show never even covered.

This is a good shout actually.

Thanks for all your opinions, but it seems Amazon have answered the question for me themselves. Apparently my copy of ACoK I had ordered got lost and they just refunded it for me, that money has now gone onto AGoT and I'll order ACoK once the actual refund comes though :)

Thanks for the help :)

Speaking of Spartacus and Peter Mensah. I mentioned a few weeks ago that he would make an awesome
Belwas
, and I still believe it. They would probably have to expand that character a little more for the show if they went with an actor like Mensah, but that would be a good thing for the character. Get Oenomaus on this show!

Oenomaus
Belwas
= Best
Belwas

spartacus-vengeance-peter-mensah-4.jpg

He would make a good
Grey Worm
Though they could get pretty much any actor to play that guy.

apana

If your only motivation and interest in the series is seeing how the plot develops, by all means skip the first book.

If you are interested in world building, quality writing, and character growth and development then I would highly recommend reading AGoT first.

It wasn't my only motivation in reading the books but it was my main one. Like I said, I went back and read the first book and didn't feel like I had missed all that much. The show is sufficient to let you start on the second book, not ideal but sufficient.

My god - the Graphic Novel is AMAZING.

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING INCREDIBLE THE BEST EVER. TOTALLY is the best medium ASOIF has been presented in (after the books) so far. I think I would tie it with the books even. The imagery is not restricted and therefore, it is free to be what George wants and it's just so much like how I pictured it in my head originally :D

LuchaShaq

Banned

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING INCREDIBLE THE BEST EVER. TOTALLY is the best medium ASOIF has been presented in (after the books) so far. I think I would tie it with the books even. The imagery is not restricted and therefore, it is free to be what George wants and it's just so much like how I pictured it in my head originally :D

Wanted to ask about it but it seemed kinda expensive.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Not to much a fan of the artstyle and Ned looks like Jesus, Catelyn is hot, Daenerys looks stuckup. Those aren't complaints, well except Daenerys. Still the artstyle.
There's a sample on Amazon.

$15 is expensive? It's not... it's the whole fist book, and it's just huge and amazingly intricate.

I love the art style, Cersei is perfect. Perhaps Dany is not exactly as I expected (because Dany on TV is perfect, but she is perhaps the only one).

Catelyn is great. I loved the early scenes when I knew who Jon and Robb were by the color of their hair - was great.

I haven't finished reading it yet, but I can't wait to see how big the Dire Wolves get in part 2.

It's definitely not the whole first book, I think it barely even covers a few episodes of the show

I was really excited for the comic series, bought the first issue and it killed my interest entirely. I'll probably read it eventually but I agree with what others have said, the art style was pretty bad. I really hated how some of the kids looked exactly the same (Theon and Jon I think)

Wray

So after rewatching the Theon/Balon scene in Episode 2 again, I have to say that Gemma Whelan absolutely slayed Asha (Yara).

While it's true that she doesn't look at all like I imagined her in my head and
fap sessions
, her mannerisms, body movement, and demeanor were absolutely fucking perfect. She totally nailed the character and just oozed the confidence and charisma Asha has. The 'What is Dead May Never Die" part gave me total nerd wood.

So far I have to say that Nina Gold is 8/8 with the new characters we've seen so far.

- Stannis
- Davos
- Melisandre
- Balon
- Asha
- Salladhor Saan
- Craster
- Gilly

I think Jaqen's scene was much too short to get a good read, so I'm withholding judgement till next week.

This is a good shout actually.

Thanks for all your opinions, but it seems Amazon have answered the question for me themselves. Apparently my copy of ACoK I had ordered got lost and they just refunded it for me, that money has now gone onto AGoT and I'll order ACoK once the actual refund comes though :)

Thanks for the help :)

Why not just buy the 4 book paperback set? And then by the time you finish those ADWD will be in Paperback as well :p

Arment

I was very happy to see they kept Biter's filed teeth. His nickname wouldn't mean much without them.

I wish people wouldn't do this. You are missing countless inner monologues from AGoT that you don't get from the show.

Just because you've seen the first season of A Game of Thrones doesn't mean you've experienced the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Pkaz01

- Stannis
- Davos
- Melisandre
- Balon
- Asha
- Salladhor Saan
- Craster
- Gilly

I think Jaqen's scene was much too short to get a good read, so I'm withholding judgement till next week.

You forgot Hot Pie

edit - I just remembered he was in episode 10. Nevermind carry on. All is well.

bengraven

I know people only like 4 panel comics on NeoGAf, but the brooding panel at the end fucking sells it on me. I laugh so hard.

apana

I can't believe it took me so long to find out but Game of Thrones is shot on Arri Alexa cameras.

http://www.arri.de/news.html?article=655&cHash=cc3587c6fb7faace2e86d73d0386df39

I can't quite describe the look of the show, it has a very "clear" look if anyone understands what I am saying. It's the kind of look I associate with a Japanese soap opera. You can see it especially when they are filming scenes in the North. I think the show looks great everywhere except for maybe parts of castle black and the deep North beyond the Wall.

Holy shit, awesome segment on tonight's SNL making fun of the constant sex/nudity in Game of Thrones.

"The success of the show is linked to its two creative consultants: Author George RR Martin..."

"I'm on set to ensure the show stays true to the spirit of my books."

"...and Adam Friedberg, a 13-year-old boy."

"I make sure there are lots of boobs in the show."

New episode tonight!
What Is Dead May Never Die

At the Red Keep, Tyrion plots three alliances through the promise of marriage. Catelyn arrives in the Stormlands to forge an alliance of her own. But King Renly, his new wife Margaery and her brother Loras Tyrell have other plans. At Winterfell, Luwin tries to decipher Bran’s dreams.

Strange episode title considering the lack of Iron born in the synopsis.
There's a bunch of different versions of the logline floating around, and Theon is mentioned in a few of them. e.g.: "In this week’s episode, written by Bryan Cogman and directed by Alik Sakharov, we see the fallout from Jon Snow’s following of Craster in the woods beyond the Wall. Arya and the Night’s Watch recruits run into trouble on the road north, while Tyrion accumulates power in King’s Landing. Theon struggles in the Iron Islands as his family questions his true alliance. Renly Baratheon and his youthful court take the stage, and Catelyn Stark arrives to treat with the self-proclaimed king."

Arnie

There's a bunch of different versions of the logline floating around, and Theon is mentioned in a few of them. e.g.: "In this week’s episode, written by Bryan Cogman and directed by Alik Sakharov, we see the fallout from Jon Snow’s following of Craster in the woods beyond the Wall. Arya and the Night’s Watch recruits run into trouble on the road north, while Tyrion accumulates power in King’s Landing. Theon struggles in the Iron Islands as his family questions his true alliance. Renly Baratheon and his youthful court take the stage, and Catelyn Stark arrives to treat with the self-proclaimed king."

That makes more sense. I'd say Theon is the most important plot point at this stage, alongside Renly. I'm very surprised how little Renly we've had so far. That should all change tonight (or tomorrow if you're not in the privileged US).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom