• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

1upsuper

Found what I was looking for on GameFAQs. Did anyone finish all the special ranks in the arenas?
I want those three super special items but I'm having a hard time and haven't gotten any of them yet. I'm not talking about the NieR1 clothing.

Kyuur

Finish route B. No problems with it,
hacking
is fun and it was good to be able to basically pick up from where I left off.
Ending ghost girls too spoopy.

Finished all but 2 sidequests (that I know of):
- the
racing
one, was waiting to get chips to help out since the 3rd part seemed impossible without. It disappeared from the map by the time I got the chips.
- the
desert treasure finding
, finished the first two parts and just couldn't be damned

Was a bit disappointed by the
Emil
quest.
Thought he would have more of a main story mystery presence. Maybe he still will?

Have started Route C now! Just hit the part where you have to
stumble around infected with the virus towards the mall.
I got knocked down into
the alien cave entrance
by some enemies and decided to call it quits for the night there.

One pet peeve:
Went into 21O's room to get the gift she promised 9S and the game wouldn't let me pick it up? :/ Doesn't look like you'll be able to get back to the bunker either...

Was a bit disappointed by the
Emil
quest.
Thought he would have more of a main story mystery presence. Maybe he still will?

Have started Route C now! Just hit the part where you have to
stumble around infected with the virus towards the mall.
I got knocked down into
the alien cave entrance
by some enemies and decided to call it quits for the night there.

One pet peeve:
Went into 21O's room to get the gift she promised 9S and the game wouldn't let me pick it up? :/ Doesn't look like you'll be able to get back to the bunker either...

Remember you were looking for
Emil's house? You haven't found it yet, but you can get in now. It's fairly well-hidden.

The easiest path to take
while infected with the virus is through a hollowed-out building on the right as you come out into the big hole.

Do you have the auto pickup items chip from
Devola and Popola
's shop? It pretty much guarantees you can pick up anything (unless your inventory was full at the time).
The gift you're talking about was a bunch of +6 hacking chips, but you will still be swimming in them this route (if you've done a lot of quests up to now).

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Playing through Route B and I have to say that I'm actually really enjoying it. I heeded all of the warnings about repeated content but it's not nearly as bad as some of the naysayers made out. The combat isn't quite as fun but having my bearings straight away means that I'm blasting through it and really having fun. Spent more time on side quests than I did in Route A!

Although I will say that I was slightly disappointed when I finished Route A. The combat is OK but by and large I didn't give a shit about the story, and then all of a sudden it was finished. I hear that it's built upon in the next couple playthroughs so hopefully I get into it. Solid 7-8/10 so far.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Playing through Route B and I have to say that I'm actually really enjoying it. I heeded all of the warnings about repeated content but it's not nearly as bad as some of the naysayers made out. The combat isn't quite as fun but having my bearings straight away means that I'm blasting through it and really having fun. Spent more time on side quests than I did in Route A!

Although I will say that I was slightly disappointed when I finished Route A. The combat is OK but by and large I didn't give a shit about the story, and then all of a sudden it was finished. I hear that it's built upon in the next couple playthroughs so hopefully I get into it. Solid 7-8/10 so far.

Man, you pretty much mirrored my A/B experience.

Moaradin

Route B is pretty rad.

SeemsGood.png

duckroll

Finished Route B. 27 hours now. I think I did almost all the quests, except... errrr... the Emil ones and -fuck- Speedstar. I missed the Emil ones because erm... err... well once I got to the Flooded City I just powered through it again. Lol.

I think the game did a fantastic job balancing between recycling the same quest again, and having tons of new stuff for the player to experience. Between the new interlude scenes, 9S's side of the story, the hacking gameplay, the new loot from the hackable chests, the new quests, and just getting a ton of extra context on every little new thing you can find in the world... I wasn't bored at all.

The end of the credits in Route B is fucking brilliant. If this were a Xenosaga game, that's where the game would really have ended, and the preview would be for the actual sequel. Lol.

8/10 - Would hack again.

LotusHD

Banned
Finished Route B. 27 hours now. I think I did almost all the quests, except... errrr... the Emil ones and -fuck- Speedstar. I missed the Emil ones because erm... err... well once I got to the Flooded City I just powered through it again. Lol.

I think the game did a fantastic job balancing between recycling the same quest again, and having tons of new stuff for the player to experience. Between the new interlude scenes, 9S's side of the story, the hacking gameplay, the new loot from the hackable chests, the new quests, and just getting a ton of extra context on every little new thing you can find in the world... I wasn't bored at all.

The end of the credits in Route B is fucking brilliant. If this were a Xenosaga game, that's where the game would really have ended, and the preview would be for the actual sequel. Lol.

8/10 - Would hack again.

Can't wait for your Route C-E impressions lol

LotusHD

Banned
On Route B, do the same side missions pop up?

Some of them do, but if they're quests that make it obvious that only 2B would be interested in doing them (Like the ones for Operator 6O), they likely won't show up in Route B.

EDIT:

Oh you changed it. Nah, completed ones stay completed.

awdrifter

Finally got to Ending E. For the most part I enjoyed the game. I don't like 9S's hacking minigame, I much prefer playing as 2B and A2. That said, the overall gameplay is enjoyable, the 60fps really helps with the smoothness of the combat. The only problem is (I'm playing the PC version) in the hacking minigame the GPU will not run at the highest boost clock, I edited the vbios to make the other clocks higher, so that mostly solved the slowdown issue. The Japanese voice acting is also very good, whenever I fight a big machine lifeform and 2B says something, it reminds me of Mikasa. :D The music is also awesome, the Chaos language version of Weight of the World is great.

Spoiler for Endings A - E
I'm pretty OK with endings A - D. I wish it would've ended at ending B, but of course knowing this is a Nier game, it won't end that happily. I can even accept ending C where A2 sacrifice herself to save 9S and ending D where 9S send himself into space. Those endings are still logical and it gives the player some hope in the grim story. But ending E feels completely tagged on to give the player a happy ending. If we go off ending D, 9S is sending a copy of his data onto the rocket (Ark?), so where can the pods collect his conscious stream data? Same for A2, she's killed by 9S in this ending, so how did the pods get her data? The only possible one is 2B, because she downloaded her data into her sword, so assuming A2 still has her sword, that can be reconstructed.

Also I'm kinda confused on the timeline of the alien invasion and YoRHa formation. In the record that 9S hacked into, it was said that YorHa created the Council of Humanity to give the YoRHa soldiers a purpose. But according to Devola and Popola's visual novel record, humans did exist and when Project Gestalt failed, the data was sent to the moon. So which one is the true history? Also, who put in the backdoor into the YoRHa bunker? It seems like even the Commander wasn't aware of this. It doesn't seem like it's created by the Tower AI (the AI that's in the white tower), the Tower AI simply exploited it. Maybe because I didn't play Nier, that part of the event is not very clear.

But anyways, for such a convoluted story, it's pretty interesting. Overall I still enjoyed the game a lot. I hope this gives a boost to the series, maybe they'll make Drakengard 4.

I'm absolutely in love with this so far, but holy shit is the camera getting on my nerves. It's so close to the ground. Every few seconds I'm moving the right stick down a little bit so I can actually see things directly in front of me during combat.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Finally got to Ending E. For the most part I enjoyed the game. I don't like 9S's hacking minigame, I much prefer playing as 2B and A2. That said, the overall gameplay is enjoyable, the 60fps really helps with the smoothness of the combat. The only problem is (I'm playing the PC version) in the hacking minigame the GPU will not run at the highest boost clock, I edited the vbios to make the other clocks higher, so that mostly solved the slowdown issue. The Japanese voice acting is also very good, whenever I fight a big machine lifeform and 2B says something, it reminds me of Mikasa. :D The music is also awesome, the Chaos language version of Weight of the World is great.

Spoiler for Endings A - E
I'm pretty OK with endings A - D. I wish it would've ended at ending B, but of course knowing this is a Nier game, it won't end that happily. I can even accept ending C where A2 sacrifice herself to save 9S and ending D where 9S send himself into space. Those endings are still logical and it gives the player some hope in the grim story. But ending E feels completely tagged on to give the player a happy ending. If we go off ending D, 9S is sending a copy of his data onto the rocket (Ark?), so where can the pods collect his conscious stream data? Same for A2, she's killed by 9S in this ending, so how did the pods get her data? The only possible one is 2B, because she downloaded her data into her sword, so assuming A2 still has her sword, that can be reconstructed.

Also I'm kinda confused on the timeline of the alien invasion and YoRHa formation. In the record that 9S hacked into, it was said that YorHa created the Council of Humanity to give the YoRHa soldiers a purpose. But according to Devola and Popola's visual novel record, humans did exist and when Project Gestalt failed, the data was sent to the moon. So which one is the true history? Also, who put in the backdoor into the YoRHa bunker? It seems like even the Commander wasn't aware of this. It doesn't seem like it's created by the Tower AI (the AI that's in the white tower), the Tower AI simply exploited it. Maybe because I didn't play Nier, that part of the event is not very clear.

But anyways, for such a convoluted story, it's pretty interesting. Overall I still enjoyed the game a lot. I hope this gives a boost to the series, maybe they'll make Drakengard 4.

I mean you can choose to stay.

Also devola and poppola did create a moon server to store human data, but the council of humanity is not a part of that. I mean they did make use of the data server to act as if that's where the council of humanity is, but the whole point is that the council is a lie enacted by certain androids to fool the rest of the androids into thinking that humans are still alive, when in reality they're dead. The same people responsible for that plan also came up with the backdoor as part of project yorha, because the plan was always to sabotage it so that the link between moon base and the androids on earth are severed, making it impossible for the androids to verify the lie.

Maou

I'm absolutely in love with this so far, but holy shit is the camera getting on my nerves. It's so close to the ground. Every few seconds I'm moving the right stick down a little bit so I can actually see things directly in front of me during combat.
This game has literally the most adjustable camera settings in history. 9S' tutorial is no joke! You can decide the zoom level for both exploring and fighting, and countless other bits. I promise you there is an angle for you! Even (especially) if that angle is a low angle going up ladders.

1upsuper

Took me four hours but I finally landed a beetle fish. Woo. I prefer Automata's super simplified fishing to NieR 1's, but NieR 1's bait system meant collecting every fish (albeit there were only 15) didn't take long at all.

Took me four hours but I finally landed a beetle fish. Woo. I prefer Automata's super simplified fishing to NieR 1's, but NieR 1's bait system meant collecting every fish (albeit there were only 15) didn't take long at all.

I wish there was a little more to it than pure RNG, and that there was more feedback so you don't have to strain your eyes. Especially since sometimes the lure never sinks, but the game registers as having hooked a fish when you try to reel in.

1upsuper

I wish there was a little more to it than pure RNG, and that there was more feedback so you don't have to strain your eyes. Especially since sometimes the lure never sinks, but the game registers as having hooked a fish when you try to reel in.

Yeah, the bites without sinking are bizarre. I just reel in every 20 seconds or so if I don't get an obvious bite. I just turn the volume up and wait to hear a plop while I browse the web.

First playthrough. Just made what I didn't realize was a Choice and I have a very distinct feeling I've made a baaaaad call.

Edit: Okay, well, it wasn't what I expected at least, lol

Kyuur

Quite far (I think) into Route C now.
Finished up the 2A parts and the second retrieval unit with 9S.

During Route B I found myself wondering when they were going to
make hacking more of a challenge and there it was. Frustrating but enjoyable at the same time!

Regarding P
ascal: at the end of the 2A storyline (thus far) I decided to leave Pascal to cope with his loss instead of removing his memory or killing him. Got a trophy that implied that I granted his wish, which I didn't :lol: Does the choice you make there actually have an impact?

Super frustratingly ran into another bug, this time with a subquest: The one where you need to collect tree sap for
the twins
, I already had like 10 in my inventory. Went to the quest area, killed the quest robot, got all 5 available sap in the area, and it didn't progress. Killed everything and revisited the area but it won't complete. Tried selling to bring my total down to 5, sold all of them and revisited to see if they respawned... Nothing. Ah well.

Regarding P
ascal: at the end of the 2A storyline (thus far) I decided to leave Pascal to cope with his loss instead of removing his memory or killing him. Got a trophy that implied that I granted his wish, which I didn't :lol: Does the choice you make there actually have an impact?

Well, if you wipe his memory, you can meet him in his village again, where he'll sell the kiddy machine parts, as well as a machine head weapon.
Super frustratingly ran into another bug, this time with a subquest: The one where you need to collect tree sap for
the twins
, I already had like 10 in my inventory. Went to the quest area, killed the quest robot, got all 5 available sap in the area, and it didn't progress. Killed everything and revisited the area but it won't complete. Tried selling to bring my total down to 5, sold all of them and revisited to see if they respawned... Nothing. Ah well.

Hm, normally sidequests just skip ahead if you already have the required parts. And I know for a fact that it works like that with this quest as well.

Regarding P

the twins

There are several things that you can only see if you erased his memory (including one of the most mind-blowing moments in the game).

You will be able to revisit all this later (including restarting the bugged quest).

Kyuur

Well, if you wipe his memory, you can meet him in his village again, where he'll sell the kiddy machine parts, as well as a machine head weapon.

Hm, normally sidequests just skip ahead if you already have the required parts. And I know for a fact that it works like that with this quest as well.

Yeah, it is odd. I just seem to be having bad luck with bugs in this game :lol:

There are several things that you can only see if you erased his memory (including one of the most mind-blowing moments in the game).

You will be able to revisit all this later (including restarting the bugged quest).

Good to hear, thanks!

Golnei

Unarmed combat is pretty cool considering probably 99% of players forgot it even exists.

Most of my time in the debug room not spent with invincible training dummies has been playing with the unarmed moveset I neglected - it is pretty fun. I'm surprised they differentiated it that much from the bracers given how few players would use it - this wasn't a game swimming in time and money.

1upsuper

Wait, what are you referring to here?

No one stops.

It's way to late to stop.

Oh no. Oh no. Why would you dredge up these memories.

Most of my time in the debug room not spent with invincible training dummies has been playing with the unarmed moveset I neglected - it is pretty fun. I'm surprised they differentiated it that much from the bracers given how few players would use it - this wasn't a game swimming in time and money.

The Taro is in the details.

Top Bottom