• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Kart 7 screens, trailer, and Iwata asks

Berordn

Watch Da Birdie said:
Anyway, I like Wiggler. Awesome to use in Mario Tennis and Baseball. But why did we get two secret characters that are bugs? :/
Must be devolution. Last time we had babies and now we're going further down the ladder.

Sianos

Some new info (other than two new characters) was released in the latest Nintendo Power.

Tracks:

Mushroom Cup:

Toad Circuit:

Generic starter track, first use of glider.

Daisy Hills:

The track with the hot air balloons. Features long gliding section and rams.

Cheep Cheep Lagoon: First water level, shown off at E3 and demoed multiple times.

Shy Guy Bazaar: Arabian themed with multiple routes.

Flower Cup:

Wuhu Loop:

The track that is one long lap. There are giant cars you need to dodge.

They really want to emphasize those cars.

Mario Circuit:

Contains a lot of coins for unlocking parts.

Music Park:

Music themed (obviously), features pirahna plants and music notes that shake the ground.

Rock Rock Mountain:

Another air themed track, has a lot of shortcuts to take.

Shell Cup:

Luigi Raceway (N64)
Bowser's Castle 1 (GBA)
Mushroom Gorge (Wii)
Luigi's Mansion (DS)

Banana Cup:

Koopa Beach (N64)
Mario Circuit 2 (SNES)
Coconut Mall (Wii)
Waluigi Pinball (DS)

Characters:

They confirm that there are more characters than the sixteen released. I'm personally hoping for Waluigi and Dry Bones to round out the roster.

Items:

Fire Flower is on a timer.
Last item in the lucky seven is a mushroom (as I predicted!)
Tanooki tail deflects shells back. Not sure if multi use.

I don't have any problem with the two newly revealed characters. Would they be my first choices? No. But I don't think they are awful.

What does confuse me is that so many people got hyped over Metal Mario, who is literally just a reskin of Mario, (not even a new character in any sense), and yet so many are upset about these two actual brand new characters.

Different strokes I guess, and if you like Metal Mario, more power to you, but it is perplexing to me. :/

Javier

Maybe they'll add more characters through SpotPass later on?

Hey, this game has awesome online already. I say there's a good chance.

Delio said:
Ah so happy Coconut Mall made it in. Shame Maple Treeway didnt :/

That's only half the tracks, right?

Also, who are the confirmed characters?

Mario
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Koopa
Toad
Bowser
Peach
Daisey (?)
Rosalina
Lakitu
Shy Guy
Metal Mario
Wiggler
Queen Bee

Who am I missing?

StreetsAhead said:
That's only half the tracks, right?

Also, who are the confirmed characters?

Mario
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Koopa
Toad
Bowser
Peach
Daisey (?)
Rosalina
Lakitu
Shy Guy
Metal Mario
Wiggler
Queen Bee

Who am I missing?
Wario

Gunloc said:
I don't have any problem with the two newly revealed characters. Would they be my first choices? No. But I don't think they are awful.

What does confuse me is that so many people got hyped over Metal Mario, who is literally just a reskin of Mario, (not even a new character in any sense), and yet so many are upset about these two actual brand new characters.

Different strokes I guess, and if you like Metal Mario, more power to you, but it is perplexing to me. :/

I agree. I'd rather original characters, no matter how obscure, over palette swaps or babies.

m.i.s.

Banned
NSQuote said:
Some new info (other than two new characters) was released in the latest Nintendo Power.

Tracks:

Mushroom Cup:

Toad Circuit:

Generic starter track, first use of glider.

Daisy Hills:

The track with the hot air balloons. Features long gliding section and rams.

Cheep Cheep Lagoon: First water level, shown off at E3 and demoed multiple times.

Shy Guy Bazaar: Arabian themed with multiple routes.

Flower Cup:

Wuhu Loop:

The track that is one long lap. There are giant cars you need to dodge.

They really want to emphasize those cars.

Mario Circuit:

Contains a lot of coins for unlocking parts.

Music Park:

Music themed (obviously), features pirahna plants and music notes that shake the ground.

Rock Rock Mountain:

Another air themed track, has a lot of shortcuts to take.

Shell Cup:

Luigi Raceway (N64)
Bowser's Castle 1 (GBA)
Mushroom Gorge (Wii)
Luigi's Mansion (DS)

Banana Cup:

Koopa Beach (N64)
Mario Circuit 2 (SNES)
Coconut Mall (Wii)
Waluigi Pinball (DS)

Characters:

They confirm that there are more characters than the sixteen released. I'm personally hoping for Waluigi and Dry Bones to round out the roster.

Items:

Fire Flower is on a timer.
Last item in the lucky seven is a mushroom (as I predicted!)
Tanooki tail deflects shells back. Not sure if multi use.

Sounding not unlike Double Dash. You have the one lap Wuhu Island (analogous to the 7 lap free for all Baby Park in DD) and water and air borne gimmicks as compared to the dual drivers in DD.

That's a bad thing where I'm concerned. Minus the blue shell, really enjoyed the no-nonsense design that was Mario Kart DS. That's going to be a hard game to top I think.

Berordn

M.I.S. said:
Sounding not unlike Double Dash. You have the one lap Wuhu Island (analogous to the 7 lap free for all Baby Park in DD) and water and air borne gimmicks as compared to the dual drivers in DD.

That's a bad thing where I'm concerned. Minus the blue shell, really enjoyed the no-nonsense design that was Mario Kart DS. That's going to be a hard game to top I think.
It's not as bad, given that the Water and Air gimmicks are really just extra paths through a course. Assuming they use the same idea for every course, water is something of a detriment as it replaces Lakitu's fishing from older games and punishes you for falling, and the air segments reward you for skillful flying and your kart build. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, but I do doubt we'll be seeing anything as tight as MKDS again.

Neiteio

Guys, that list up above is only 16 of the 32 tracks. And yes, Maple Treeway is in the game. It's been featured extensively in every trailer since E3. The latest builds of the game even have the giant Wigglers running around. I guess it will be Wiggler's course, if you would. Kind of fitting for Honey Queen, too.

I'm thrilled to see Koopa Beach (N64) and Coconut Mall (Wii) return. The latter will have great gliding opportunities. And Koopa Beach, in particular, was unique for how you'd sink if you drove too far ashore. Now I bet you'll dive into underwater trenches and continue along a separate route.

In fact, on Luigi Speedway (N64), I notice they've added a second tier to the track along the banked curve, with a glider jump to other side that leads above the brick tunnel. I love all the crisscrossing paths afforded by land, sea and air routes. This is not a gimmick like Double Dash's two-seat karts; these are branching paths like Yoshi Valley but with verticality (water below and skies above). No two races will be the same!

I love the Arabian style of Shy Shy Bazaar, from the onion domes and curved gateways to the music. I love the rams crossing the road in Daisy Hills, as well as how once you glide past the hot air balloons, you can choose to land on the road or on the rooftops. So much awesome going on in the first cup alone.

Somewhere (the Japanese site, irrc?), there were short videos of each character, and one of them clearly shows the characters racing through Koopa Cape from Mario Kart Wii, complete with the river rapids and giant koopa shells. I wonder if they'll turn the ramps on the mountain into glider pads, and if they'll fill the tunnels with water for an underwater portion?

Note that, beyond the courses listed earlier, we also know of the following:

- Airship Fortress (DS)
- DK Pass (DS)
- Koopa Cape (Wii)
- Kalamari Desert (N64)
- New snow level
- New rainy city level
- New DKCR level

I think I may be missing a confirmed course or two. Either way, we've seen no more than 25 of the 32 track. I can't wait to find out more. :)

Richie

This is shaping up to be a beast of a Mario Kart game.

You have...
  • The addition of hang-gliders and propellers, offering multiple paths to go through each course.
  • Retro stages remade to take advantage of aereal and underwater gameplay.
  • The ability to customize your kart, which goes beyond an aesthetic feature and may give you an advantage on certain tracks.
  • A more balanced selection of items.
  • What is, for Nintendo standards, an ambitious online mode.
  • Smooth, colorful, sharp, just-plain'-purty graphics, running at 60 fps.
  • SpotPass and StreetPass compatibility.

Aside from the DS' absolutely glorious Mission Mode, this game has everything I could ask for in a MK installment and then some. December can't come soon enough.

Richie said:
This is shaping up to be a beast of a Mario Kart game.

Aside from the DS' absolutely glorious Mission Mode, this game has everything I could ask for in a MK installment and then some. December can't come soon enough.

I hope Mission Mode is back...that was so awesome

Berordn

I think they mentioned something akin to the competitions returning for the Mario Kart Channel, so we'll have that cop-out even if we don't get a legit Mission Mode.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Is there any reason Nintendo has publicly said for not bringing back the most insanely fun track, Baby Park?

fisheyes

Plinko said:
Is there any reason Nintendo has publicly said for not bringing back the most insanely fun track, Baby Park?

They already brought it back in MKDS and haven't brought any other track back twice yet?

I really wish each game had a simple Baby Park-esque track, they're the best ones for mutliplayer.

The M.O.B

Plinko said:

After MKDS, I have had enough of that track. Snakers loved it. I know Nintendo has gotten rid of snaking but really, it's an oval......any track could take it's place.

BowieZ

Banned
Shell Cup
Luigi Circuit (N64)
Bowser's Castle 1 (GBA)
Mushroom Gorge (Wii)
Luigi's Mansion (DS)

Banana Cup
Koopa Troopa Beach (N64)
Mario Circuit 2 (SNES)
Coconut Mall (Wii)
Waluigi Pinball (DS)

Leaf Cup (unconfirmed)
Kalimari Desert (N64)
Daisy Cruiser (GCN)
DK Pass (DS)
Maple Treeway (Wii)

Lightning Cup (unconfirmed)
Dino Dino Jungle (GCN)
Koopa Cape (Wii)
Yoshi Valley (N64)
Airship Fortress (DS)

So far we have
4 Wii
4 DS
3 N64
1 SNES
1 GBA
1 GCN

+ 2 more unknown

I'm gonna predict GCN Daisy Cruiser and N64 Yoshi Valley

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All those blackbars hiding the other characters. It is rather tempting to peep behind them.

histopher

It says Battle Stage underneath the Coin.

GBA - Battle Course 1
Honeybee House
64 Big Donuts?
Something Rink
DS Something Reef?
Something Town

:p

Javier

Berordn said:
Pretty sure those are the battle courses, but I can't read it to say for sure.
Yeah, those are Battle courses, they say (using my best basic knowledge of Japanese to translate Katakana):

GBA Battle Course 1
N64 Big Donut
DS Palm Shore

Honey Bee House
Sherbert Rink
Wuhu Town

Javier said:
Yeah, those are Battle courses, they say (using my best basic knowledge of Japanese to translate Katakana):

GBA Battle Course 1
N64 Big Donut
DS Palm Shore

Honey Bee House
Sherbert Rink
Wuhu Town

sure hope there's more than that, what about the cake arena from the gc version?

Berordn

They already used that in MKWii, and they haven't repeated any retro stages yet. But yeah, it's not a lot. Maybe you unlock the last few like in Double Dash, but MKDS also had six battle courses.

Berordn said:
Pretty sure those are the battle courses, but I can't read it to say for sure.
Ah of course it is. Haven't really enjoyed battle since the SNES, dunno why, so I completely forgot it existed.

edit:
THIS IS MY MOST ANTICIPATED GAME at the moment. Can't freaking wait. I love love love mario kart.

BowieZ

Banned
December 3rd for Australia! YES! (<<<<--- didn't see this posted anywhere yet..)

A day and a half before the U.S.!

Top Bottom