• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi (LA Noire) bankrupt, studio assets to be sold to KMM

Shiggy

Deserves a new thread...

Strummerjones said:
Team Bondi are now bankrupt and the remaining staff are going to be bought by KMM, including Brendan McNamara who was instrumental in sealing the deal. Apparently Depth Analysis (the sister company who own the face tech) are also in some trouble after making little to no money off of LA Noire (like TB themselves).

Rockstar own the LA Noire ip, so it will be interesting to see what happens next.

Thats after this:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-05-la-noire-the-team-bondi-emails-article
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-04-embattled-team-bondi-seeking-buyer

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The game and tech were probably not cheap to make. I understand why it was not on just 1 platform. Anyone can see that this game doesn't exactly look cheap to make.

DaBuddaDa

There was a big thread a little while ago with David Cage of Heavy Rain infamy said that the face tech in LA Noire was a dead end, unsustainable and not the direction the industry should be headed in. Many jumped at his throat and it turned into a David Cage/Heavy Rain shitfest.

Lookie what we have here...

So did Rockstar fuck them over? Making little to no money off of a million seller seems unlikely.

And some of the devepolment cost would have been paid by Sony so its not like Bondi would have to shoulder that burden.

ezekial45 said:
Rockstar owns the IP. So i'm assuming that they took a big chunk of the revenue?

It probably hasn't even turned a profit yet. Sony was rumored to have pumped 20m into the game before Rockstar bought the IP in 2006. There's no telling how much money Rockstar had to put into it.

nib95

Banned
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
So did Rockstar fuck them over? Making little to no money off of a million seller seems unlikely.

And some of the devepolment cost would have been paid by Sony so its not like Bondi would have to shoulder that burden.

This....Smells fishy.

An-Det

I'm not surprised, considering they couldnt find a new deal after the shit with Rockstar and Sony. The game did well, but just not good enough.

At least LA Noire will live through Rockstar.

LiquidMetal14

Bad management decisions if the game did decent or well and still went bankrupt. After those stories on how hellish the process was and such I'm even less surprised.

TheStevo said:
I thought it sold over a million as well... just how much money did they invest into LA Noire? I thought this game was a hit...

Doesn't mean the amount sold makes it turn a profit. There's without a doubt massive and insane R&D budgets and after seven years, there must have been some serious employee costs involved.

But LA Noire sold like 3 million copies in a month, and still charts pretty regularly in Europe.

I remember saying a little while back that that if there was ever a point where a multi-million selling game still can't make back its budget, then we reached the feasible limit of game budgets. Well, ladies and gentlemen, there you have it. Barring a revolutionary improvement in the time and manpower invested in asset creation, modern games have reached the upper limit of what we can expect in terms of content.

Edit: Scratch that, it's 4 million shipped as of mid-June

haha I like McNamara, he's a really artist with a relentless aim to accomplish envisioned goals.

That face tech in the game wouldn't have been invented without his design plans I assume. I think he is the kind of guy who needs to be challenged at every turn for ingenuity.

For a game to have sold as well as LA Noire did, the development of the MotionScan tech must have cost a fortune.
Edit: Oh yeah, it was also a dev marathon (6+ years was it?). That still seems like some way unbalanced spending.

Not nice that a company went out of business, but the game was a huge letdown and in some regards an absolute mess, so... I don't feel too bad about it.

I hope Rockstar internally develop LA Noire 2 and it's equally as Godly as GTA IV/RDR.

Foffy

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
There was a big thread a little while ago with David Cage of Heavy Rain infamy said that the face tech in LA Noire was a dead end, unsustainable and not the direction the industry should be headed in. Many jumped at his throat and it turned into a David Cage/Heavy Rain shitfest.

It didn't come off that Cage was referring to finances and profitability. Which is why people got into an argument in the first place.

diffusionx

Gold Member
TheStevo said:
I thought it sold over a million as well... just how much money did they invest into LA Noire? I thought this game was a hit...

Depending on how it cost... that might not even be enough. I know historically "million seller" has always been a benchmark, but these damn games are costing so much that it is entirely possible that it's not enough anymore.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I remember saying a little while back that that if there was ever a point where a multi-million selling game still can't make back its budget, then we reached the feasible limit of game budgets. Well, ladies and gentlemen, there you have it. Barring a revolutionary improvement in the time and manpower invested in asset creation, modern games have reached the upper limit of what we can expect in terms of content.

Eh... this game was mismanaged for 7 or 8 years, and the studio was run by an incompetent dictator. Thankfully not every game is like that (more than there should be, though).

LiquidMetal14

Sho_Nuff82 said:
But LA Noire sold like 3 million copies in a month, and still charts pretty regularly in Europe.

I think this will improve next gen, like many others. Things need to come down, not get exponentially complex.

DaBuddaDa said:

While the face tech would be expensive its really not the reason for any of this, it looks to me (just by the known history) like McNamara was hard to work with after Sony dropped the project they would have had to self fund, leading to McNamara taking what ever offer Rockstar would give him, turns out the deal meant they kept all the cash.

A lot of expensive tech and development time for what ended up being a mediocre (at best) game.

I won't lie, I fell for the marketing hype. I read up and I was impressed by the tech. And I will admit, the facial animations are great. But at the end of the day I just didn't have *fun* with LA Noire.

TheStevo

Banned
Vinterbird said:
Doesn't mean the amount sold makes it turn a profit. There's without a doubt massive and insane R&D budgets and after seven years, there must have been some serious employee costs involved.
But the game is still selling pretty good right now--topped both months on NPD, and has been expected to shift 4 million from what I recall (may be inaccurate, just going off memory). Pulling the plug on the Studios so soon after it released seems a bit off base to me. Craziness, actually. Anyways, I hope for the best for the employees--pity that they were brought down after their game was a hit.

Foffy said:
It didn't come off that Cage was referring to finances and profitability. Which is why people got into an argument in the first place.

He was referring to how much it would cost to use it and how viable it was as a tool for developers. People still dismissed his opinion.

TheStevo

Banned
diffusionx said:
Depending on how it cost... that might not even be enough. I know historically "million seller" has always been a benchmark, but these damn games are costing so much that it is entirely possible that it's not enough anymore.
Indeed, which is inherently a very sad ordeal. I don't suppose any of us here are privy to the costs they faced with LA Noire?

Top Bottom