• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben affleck admits to groping Hilarie Burton

as4OGIh.png
cringe.gif

louiedog

It is pervy but that woman herself came out to speak about it and how it was consensual and not unwarranted towards her

It's considerable different from the other cases he's being called out on

How can we be sure? If there's a big takeaway from all of this it's that these guys get away with it because women are afraid of what they'll lose by telling people their behavior isn't okay.

Replicant

What are you even going on about?

You haven't said anything about Affleck and yet managed to complain alot about me. It's kind of the exact point I was making about people shifting the narrative away from the actual issue at hand.

So I'm asking again: what is your opinion on the thread tittle?

Keanu is the only decent guy left

Hmm that reminds me how Keanu and Rachel McAddams quit "Passengers" which was produced by the Weinstein brothers.

Quikies83

You haven't said anything about Affleck and yet managed to complain alot about me. It's kind of the exact point I was making about people shifting the narrative away from the actual issue at hand.

lol just read through this thread and it sure seems like you want the attention.
Listen to what others have said and consider taking a break from the keyboard.

And Ben Affleck sucks.

Excuse YOU? No. I have NEVER done this to any woman. EVER. It helps that I'm gay but again, NO just NO. I'm sure there are straight men who have never done this either.

2014-09-19-1062sea.png

Fox Mulder

I can confirm this. I’ve had my butt grabbed and slapped by random women before. At the time I felt violated now I find it funny. It’s not excusable though. No one should be grabbed inappropriately without their consent regardless of their gender.

I had a female manager constantly squeeze my biceps. I didn't feel violated though.

A lot?

I made one post.

As with most people I obviously think that what Ben Affleck did was bad.

There's no shifting of anything though, it's the same topic. Ben Affleck groped some, the other poster said that men are doing this everywhere (which is sadly true) and you took it like he meant every single men. That wasn't the case and this type of post is often a nitpick to downplay the prevalence of sexual harrasment.

Which is also the topic of the thread.

How can we be sure? If there's a big takeaway from all of this it's that these guys get away with it because women are afraid of what they'll lose by telling people their behavior isn't okay.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...leck-interview-is-being-taken-context-1047745

She goes into detail here, while also giving an anecdote about a run in with Harvey Weinstein.

Affleck's guilty about the other stuff, for sure. This isn't one of them. And in her own words,

I can't say I am thrilled to have that interview mixed in with the other stories because I don't think that is at all the same thing

So I feel it's best to respect her wishes.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

So you were expecting this thread to just be a few hundred posts of "fuck Ben Affleck" and that's it? There's no discussion there. There is discussion on the point where you completely twisted a factual statement into being some kind of accusation of all men, and can't seem to own up to it. You want this back on track (whatever that is), own your error and calm down.

Replicant

lol just read through this thread and it sure seems like you want the attention.
So you were expecting this thread to just be a few hundred posts of "fuck Ben Affleck" and that's it? There's no discussion there. There is discussion on the point where you completely twisted a factual statement into being some kind of accusation of all men, and can't seem to own up to it. You want this back on track (whatever that is), own your error and calm down.

I'll tell you what. I'll leave this other detail about Ben Affleck and you can discuss it instead of talking about me:

Remember when Ben tried to cover-up about his slave-owning ancestors on PBS and the show got canceled?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-is-suspended-by-pbs/?utm_term=.73ca57cd6fbf

WhatNXt

There are going to be a lot of celebrities who have grabbed tits and ass, or said incredibly pervy and inappropriate things. I'm not excusing any such behaviour, Affleck is right to apologise. There will probably even be people here, reading, who've done it. Lascivious behaviour is endemic beyond the world of celebrities. We shouldn't act like this behaviour is exclusive to Hollywood - you only have to go to any office party, or any city where people drink and party to the point of stupidity and you will see wanton unwanted advances, unwanted physical contact, and regrettable behaviour all round. Apps like Tinder and Snapchat have exposed young people to all kinds of grim social encounters and personal vice.

While I can understand anyone aggrieved by such behaviour, part of me does wonder if the media reaction to Weinstein is creating a hunger for such revealatory stories in the media that will just suck them towards the big name celebrities, and maybe serve to drown out stories of lesser knowns committing "predation that happens behind closed doors" as Matt Damon put it. Copping a feel isn't great, and Ben will have to bear some criticism for it, but I'd hesitate to label him as much of a monster as Weinstein - who has clearly fled the country to avoid justice. He's a man now being accused of rape and coersion that is way beyond inappropriate. I'd brace yourselves anyway, when the Jimmy Saville story broke over here in the UK, a lot of careers started tumbling like dominoes. People like Rolf Harris ended up in jail. There were some falsely accused too. If the Weinstein expose means that more people feel empowered to speak up, and more people answer for their crimes I'm all for it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'll tell you what. I'll leave this other detail about Ben Affleck and you can discuss it instead of talking about me:

Remember when Ben tried to cover-up about his slave-owning ancestors on PBS and the show got canceled?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-is-suspended-by-pbs/?utm_term=.73ca57cd6fbf

You're really bad at this. Do you at least understand that this all spun out of you reading someone's words wrong and blowing up at them for no reason? You are not really the one who should be self-righteous about the misunderstanding here.

I've never done it and my son never will either if I have any say in the matter. Don't make excuses for this behavior.

Another one? Really? How in the world can you read this as an excuse? The poster is trying to impress up on people that this is not limited to the entertainment industry, and that every woman deals with it. It's a widespread universal societal problem, not a Hollywood problem.

Replicant

You're really bad at this. Do you at least understand that this all spun out of you reading someone's words wrong and blowing up at them for no reason? You are not really the one who should be self-righteous about the misunderstanding here.

I said it before that my understanding of that sentence is that he was trying to absolve Ben by saying that all men does it. I don't take that back. I don't think that wasn't what he was trying to do.

Seriously? How dumb do you think people are? Of course this happens in other industry. People know that. That is why my first understanding of his word wasn't that but him trying to absolve Ben.

Sunster

I've never done it and my son never will either if I have any say in the matter. Don't make excuses for this behavior.

omg we are still quoting this verifiably correct post? read it again, nowhere does it say all men. it says men everywhere. that is without a shadow of a doubt true.

There are going to be a lot of celebrities who have grabbed tits and ass, or said incredibly pervy and inappropriate things. I'm not excusing any such behaviour, Affleck is right to apologise. There will probably even be people here, reading, who've done it. Lascivious behaviour is endemic beyond the world of celebrities. We shouldn't act like this behaviour is exclusive to Hollywood - you only have to go to any office party, or any city where people drink and party to the point of stupidity and you will see wanton unwanted advances, unwanted physical contact, and regrettable behaviour all round. Apps like Tinder and Snapchat have exposed young people to all kinds of grim social encounters and personal vice.

essentially my thoughts

still don't understand how people took my post as defending or deflecting for affleck

besada

Banned
This thread has derailed into a stupid cul-de-sac of people misreading each other and arguing about it. Stop or I'll toss all sides.

I don't think what he did is OK, because that type of behavior is never ok. But why the sudden outrage when it happened over a decade ago? It's not like this is some bombshell news story either, it was televised for everyone to see. Yet people are acting like this is comparable to Weinsten, somebody who serially raped many women over a 20 year period? Again what he did is NOT OK but I feel the outrage is a bit overblown.

Sunster

I don't think what he did is OK, because that type of behavior is never ok. But why the sudden outrage when it happened over a decade ago? It's not like this is some bombshell news story either, it was televised for everyone to see. Yet people are acting like this is comparable to Weinsten, somebody who serially raped many women over a 20 year period? Again what he did is NOT OK but I feel the outrage is a bit overblown.

it's about bringing light to sexual abuse in Hollywood

Zaphrynn

I don't think people are comparing it, but it's connected to a larger problem in Hollywood. Nobody cared then because people cared less about sexual assault.

His victim chose to speak up because she was actually going to be heard this time, thanks to so many names being attached. Good for her.

I mean, the fact that he made that post about Weinstein when even he isn't beyond reproach is a pretty hypocritical thing.

Another one? Really? How in the world can you read this as an excuse? The poster is trying to impress up on people that this is not limited to the entertainment industry, and that every woman deals with it. It's a widespread universal societal problem, not a Hollywood problem.

Yes, another one. Hollywood's problem with sexual exploitation is what we're discussing here. It's current news, we're not discussing other industries. Only a naive fool would think that this behavior is isolated to Hollywood. Spreading the blame across society is a deflection to absolve Hollywood from blame.

Top Bottom