• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate every game i'm currently playing because of achievements/trophies

benzopil

Not to be unkind, you're perfectly entitled to enjoy them, but what do you actually get out of them? Literally no one in the world gives a shit about what you've earned, any bragging rights over them are long gone. I'm not being horrible, genuine question, why do you like them?
No one gives a shit about someone collecting rare coins, figurines, cars etc.

People just like collecting stuff, for some people this stuff is trophies. I don't think anybody with 40+ platinums still shows his achievements to other players

Mieu

Imagine my excitement when I got 300 online wins in SF V. The trophy did not pop up. It turns out that I needed to win 300 Ranked Matches. Casual matches not included.

Hey, I forgot to mention the Silver and Gold league trophies! Ha!

But I enjoyed the good fights I had. It's about the journey, not the destination.

DigSCCP

My way to enjoy trophies :
- Play the game "trophy blind"
- Finish it
- If I do enjoy my time with I check the trophy list
- If there is any trophy I think I might enjoy doing it I replay or the full game or the section needed
- After finishing trophies I enjoyed
I check how my completetion is : if I am close enough to get the Plat without getting overburn on the title I go for it, if not I just drop it.
I love the idea of getting all trophies I can on a game...as long as Im having fun with it.

angelic

Banned
Can the guy just enjoy getting them? No one gives a shit if you beat a game either, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy beating it.

Bragging rights are nothing to do with trophies/achievements.

I know, im really not trying to be nasty, just wondering what the enjoyment is.

No one gives a shit about someone collecting rare coins, figurines, cars etc.

People just like collecting stuff, for some people this stuff is trophies. I don't think anybody with 40+ platinums still shows his achievements to other players

Yeah I get that, no one gives a shit about my Transformers collection, but I love looking at them on the shelf. Im not sure how a digital list of games completed has the same effect.

Shadio

Can the guy just enjoy getting them? No one gives a shit if you beat a game either, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy beating it.

Bragging rights are nothing to do with trophies/achievements.

Not only that, but some people do give a shit. I've had a few people randomly look at my trophies and message me about them on PSN, although that's not why I get them. Plus there are large communities based on collecting achievements and trophies.

But other people being able to see them doesn't mean I could only be doing it to show them off. I just enjoy being given goals to aim for in games.

- Finish it
- If there is any trophy I think I might enjoy doing it I replay or the full game or the section needed
I check how my completetion is : if I am close enough to get the Plat without getting overburn on the title I go for it, if not I just drop it.
I love the idea of getting all trophies I can on a game...as long as Im having fun with it.

This is pretty much me.

Almost all of my platinums have come from games where its open world or where none of the trophies are missable.

Mihos

Gold Member
Not to be unkind, you're perfectly entitled to enjoy them, but what do you actually get out of them? Literally no one in the world gives a shit about what you've earned, any bragging rights over them are long gone. I'm not being horrible, genuine question, why do you like them?

Same thing anyone gets for collecting anything. I love the system wide metagame. And no, I don't give a shit what people think about it. I like 7 people on my friends list and hardly ever play online. The question you ask is right up there with 'Why do you play games at 50'. because I do.

Despera

Banned
Okay OP I was like you once. I have 170,000 gamerscore all from the 360 days.

First, do not look up the lists before playing a game. When you get a trophy or achievement, just think "cool" and move on. Cut the knowledge of what the achievements even are right out.

If you can't do this, you need to turn the notifications off. Go turn them off, and leave them off.

You're ruining games for yourself just like I was. I'm promising you that turning them off with re-ignite a love for this hobby in you.

In cases where you beat a game and genuinely like it enough to want to keep playing, THEN you are allowed to look at the achievement list. Then you can go for the 100% But if it's not fun anymore you need to stop.

Life is too short to spend 100+ hours 100%-ing a game you don't even like. Really think about the time that takes and what you're giving up by spending it that way.
Try this.

I won't pretend to understand how it feels to be addicted to something that actively ruins your enjoyment of this hobby while being fully aware of it, but for me it has always been the most fun when you ignore all the added fluff and focus on the game itself.

Best of luck.

angelic

Banned
..Plus there are large communities based on collecting achievements and trophies.

..I just enjoy being given goals to aim for in games.

These are good points. I used to enjoy the old stuff like Pacifism on Geometry Wars because they made you play games in new ways, but I've never liked the ones that demand 1000 hours to find every single object in the game. Its like when you buy something like FF9 on PS4 you just know you're going to have another incomplete trophy list cluttering your profile. That puts me off big time.

angelic

Banned
Same thing anyone gets for collecting anything. I love the system wide metagame. And no, I don't give a shit what people think about it. I like 7 people on my friends list and hardly ever play online. The question you ask is right up there with 'Why do you play games at 50'. because I do.

Fair play, you just like the process. I'm 42, watch cartoons, collect toys and play videogames, I'm in no position to pass judgement.

bugulu

I'm not sure what the big deal is. Completing all of the trophies/achievements are optional, and you are certainly not forced to do it. Why are options such a bad thing in the game industry?

Those who love to complete these challenges can do so and get rewarded for it by unlocking the trophy/achievement.
Those who dislike this kind of challenges can just happily ignore it without it hurting the game you enjoy.

If you're however obsessed with getting the trophies and can't enjoy games without getting them all, while at the same time, not enjoying the game, I would say the problem lies with the user and not the implemented system.

I'm not that huge of a fan of completing all the trophies on my PS4; I only have eight platinums with half of them coming from Telltale games where you're pretty much handed the platinum if you beat the game. But I wouldn't want to get rid of them, as I want the choice of whether I want to pursue getting that platinum or not.

- Finish it

Totally agree with this method.
Personally for me now I don’t even look at achievements or trophies before, or even when, I pick the game up. I load it up, play it and if it was entertaining enough for a replay, I’ll go through it again for some but not all trophies/achievements.
I’ve stopped looking at my personal trophies/achievements or how many of them I have, I’ve stopped comparing myself to others, I’ve stopped reading achievement/trophy forums.

Although I’m not addicted and don’t stress canning a game I’ve completed (seen the end credits) but only got 10% of 100% on trophies/achievements. Can understand the feeling of compulsion though it grabs me from time to time with certain things in life.

I would advise try your best to play just one game without looking at trophies or achievements, not all games just one, have to start off on a small scale and work your way up.

mindatlarge

This isn't a shameless plug for Nintendo, but rather what helped me. Trophies used to wear me down as well. Once I got a Switch and played through BotW, something clicked. I was reminded of how I used to just play games to play games and have fun. No trophies of the like to worry about but I just immersed myself in the game world and had a blast.

Now when I play PS4 and PC, the stress of getting this or that trophy has subsided. I still enjoy them to an extent, but it doesn't feel like a mandatory grind like before. If I get some, cool. If not, it's no big deal.

Catvoca

Banned
I like getting trophies and achievements but as soon as they start impacting my enjoyment of a game I stop going for them. You should try and do the same!

Chessr

I have 21 Platinum Trophies, which admittedly aren't very many in the grand scheme of things, but I love going for them. That being said, I only chase Platinums when I know I can obtain them without massively affecting my gaming style.

Getting all secrets and A+ing all levels in Hotline Miami? Sure! Otherwise I would have played each level once and moved on. All weapons in Bloodborne? Sure! It rewards exploration, so that's a plus. In most cases, a Platinum for me is a "medal" that I get for completing a game I really like.

Now, there are some games that are decidedly impossible for me to get Platinums on. Most games with multiplayer Trophies (like PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale), or games that you have to beat on a brutal difficulty level (Divinity: Original Sin or XCOM)... Nah. I don't go after the Platinum for those games. I just play them and enjoy the experience for what it is, then move onto the next game. There's no point in forcing myself to play those games as a completionist if I'm not going to "complete" them.

Ehh... Kinda have to disagree. There's very little objective value in video gaming. You could argue that with any game you could be doing something else that would be more "productive". Besides, if you spend 100 hours playing a multiplayer game, is that worth it? Or is it only a waste of time if you're chasing a Platinum Trophy?

I wouldn't judge any hobby as a "waste of time", regardless of the time invested in it. The only reason for saying that something is time wasted is that you are actively not enjoying what you're doing and you're not getting anything from it.

Sorry if i sound like im judge it. It certaintly was not my intention. Just bad use of word. Sorry.

Chinbo37

I cared about achievements for about 2 months. Then I realized they were a mistake and nothing but trash.

Just ignore them you will feel much better.

Rellik

- Finish it

This is pretty much how I do it. Always play trophy blind on the first run.

Phatcorns

I would say first of all go through and make sure all the notifications are off. Then just do everything you can to make sure you forget they exist.

klaushm

I normally try to go get the achievements of the game I like. The rest I just let it go.

My problem rests with games I like, that have collectibles. Explore a huge map to get a father, or a seed. Huge waste amount of time, just to get 100% of the game.

This scenario is worse to me because it is part of the game. I feel that it is not complete if I didn't collect everything. With achievements, at least, I think it is a plus, outside of completing a game.

I wonder if publishers could get away with having trophies like "have the collector's edition installed on launch day" and "purchase 20 premium lootboxes." Milk these people bone dry!

Shadous

Neo Member
I love trophy hunting, but I've sort of made an agreement with myself that I only with go for a Platinum (or just 100% with indies) if the achievements are related to things you'll experience through normal gameplay. The Souls games are great for this. See all the things, kill all the bosses collect all the weapons. Destiny 2 is also pretty platinum friendly, unlike the first. I recently played Steamworld Dig and saw I was going to have to replay the game with a time limit and that made me Nope out of that one.

Markoman

OP, this disease is slowly creeping up on me, too. I'm currently playing games to get to level 14 trophy rank. I also sometimes buy PS4 games over the PC version because of the trophies. I hate you Kaz and crew!

88random

I care about trophies in games I really like and feel like getting the trophy would be fun or a nice challenge. Like Wipeout HD/Omega, Resogun, etc...

Raptomex

I never understood the need to get achievements and trophies and I think it's weird.

Like, who cares how many platinum trophies someone has?
This. People become obsessed. I think when they first started I tried to get as many as I could but after a few games I got tired of doing that and now I'm just done when I'm done. For some reason, it annoys me when people buy games just to get trophies/achievements. It shouldn't bother me but it does. They get them all and they sell the game. I question if they even appreciated what they just played.

OP I had this same exact problem and it completely ruined gaming for me for a while. I could not focus on enjoying the gameplay, without also thinking about getting a trophy.

I stopped playing Deus Ex to the end because of the fact that I had a save that put me in a position where I couldn't get an all stealth clear of the whole game.

You just need to say fuck it, don't look at the trophy list, focus on yourself and on the feeling of enjoyment you are having, if there is no enjoyment press the PS/Xbox-button, go to quit game, and find something else to play.

Actively think about what the reason is for you playing this game right now. If it's tropies, press the PS/Xbox-button and QUIT.

Stop going for trophies that aren't fun. No point in forcing yourself to play when you are clearly not enjoying it. Move on to other games.

gypsygib

OP, achievements are absolutely meaningless. They have no value.

All you've achieved is wasting irretrievable and very limited time in your life CHOOSING to do something that you obviously don't enjoy.

If you hate achievements, why bother collecting them.

I don't like achievements at all but as long as I can turn off the notifications I'm generally able to ignore them.

OP is of course fully entitled to his own feelings... but if it's really as big a problem as he says, why not do something about it? Buy a Switch. Buy games from GOG and don't install their client. Etc.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had dial up for the first few years of last gen, so comparing and obtaining trophies was never my thing. I even deleted a few that I had 0% in, which is nice because it's a lot of clutter on 100's of games that didn't spark my interest.

I finished The Last of Us on PS3 and had 3% of the trophies. I had more trophies with the PS4 version because I played more multiplayer, but Meh... the only point I see is a comparison with friends and that just isn't my thing.

When a new games comes out I look at someone's profile on the game HUB and all it says to me is that this person got X more hours of game time than I did because my % is lower. :(

I don't mind knowing someone else has a certain game, but I don't need to know they've completed everything 1-3 days after release. To me, that's just rubbing it in my face and it's not that enjoyable.

Zoon

Don't care a lot about achievements but I hate it when SP games have achievements for their MP modes that probably no one is playing. (this mainly applies to old games)

Azriell

I was really into achievements on 360. It was fun because I was in constant competition with a friend of mine. That competition has since ended, and my fascination with achievements/trophies eventually did too.

I would recommend joining the yearly 52 games challenge thread. It gives you a good place to direct that collecting/completion energy while letting you finish a lot more games. It's a great since of accomplishment when you finish, too.

Achievements and trophies can be fun. I have a few completed games and that's only because I loooooved them.

Op, stop completing every damn game. You're killing your passion, this is all on you.

GodofWine

I have never, nor will I ever give a rats ass about trophies. When one pops up, Im like "Oh I did a thing by mistake!"

The best ones are the ones you get when you die in some horrific or stupid manner, but I don't even bother to check what triggered them.

Seriously, no one cares about YOUR trophies, or YOUR gamer score (I dont even know what that is). You can't put it on a resume, or linked In...just play a game for fun, or take a hammer to your consoles and find something you like to do.

Griss

I'm not as bad as OP but trophies really fuck with my mind and affect my enjoyment of a game. It's one of the reasons I have most fun playing Wii U, 3ds and Switch.

Those aren't systems that taunt you with a number like '33%' after beating a game, leaving you to feel like you didn't beat it, you didn't master it - and totally removing the satisfaction of beating the game. Either you go back and grind out a bunch of shitty activities while having no fun, or you're left with that empty feeling "how much did I miss?"

I'd love if PS5 didn't have them, I loathe them.

I have never, nor will I ever give a rats ass about trophies. When one pops up, Im like "Oh I did a thing by mistake!"

The best ones are the ones you get when you die in some horrific or stupid manner, but I don't even bother to check what triggered them.

Seriously, no one cares about YOUR trophies, or YOUR gamer score (I dont even know what that is). You can't put it on a resume, or linked In...just play a game for fun, or take a hammer to your consoles and find something you like to do.

I don't think a single person obsessed with or bothered by trophies is under any illusion about the bolded. Everyone knows no one cares. It's how they make YOU feel, in a vacuum, that matters.

Try playing some games on a platform that doesn't have these for a little while. You'll realize it was still enjoyable and when you return to your other consoles, you won't care anymore. Yay.

This pretty much happened to me. I'm glad I don't care as much as I did back then.

I still check trophy stuff sometimes

Redshirt

Banned
I went through a period where I let Xbox cheevos get their hooks in me.

Once I realized it was having a negative effect on me not just as gamer, I made a concerted effort to break the cycle.

Now, I ignore that stuff, and it doesn't bother me.

Play on PC where no one gives a shit.

Right. Look at all the gamers on GAF alone who choose Steam over GOG for "reasons." :p

Top Bottom