• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 has suspend/resume (sleep) mode

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Immediate Gameplay
PS4 radically reduces the lag time between players and their content. PS4 features “suspend mode” which keeps the system in a low power state while preserving the game session. The time it takes today to boot a console and load a saved game will be a thing of the past. With PS4, gamers just hit the power button again and are promptly back playing the game at the exact point where they left off. Additionally, users can boot a variety of applications including a web browser when playing a game on PS4.
PS4 also enables games to be downloaded or updated in the background, or even in stand-by mode. The system takes it one step further by making digital titles playable as they are being downloaded. When a player purchases a game, PS4 downloads just a fraction of the data so gamers can start playing immediately, and the rest is downloaded in the background during actual gameplay.

GhNQsDm.jpg

shut off anytime and resume when you want

JaggedSac

Sounds like MS' box is going to be woefully underpowered and the OS isn't even going to give it a leg up. It certainly sounds like I am getting a PS4 this go round.

KageZero

Although i'm a nintendo fan i must admit im impressed with the presentation so far. Great hardware combined with a very good software side, well done sony well done...

Astra

This is a huge feature for me. Not having to worry about how much time I have to play a game, especially those without a save anywhere function, will be great.

One of the main reasons my gaming time has moved towards DS/3DS/PSP/Vita. This will be brilliant if the sleep mode is very low power (which I expect it will be).

Derrick01

Banned
My favorite feature on Vita. Being able to instantly pause everything no matter where I'm at has changed my expectations for gaming.

Snowdrift

This is a pretty big deal to me. Booting up a console and frantically clicking buttons to get through the publisher logos is an annoyance. First world problems.

bonesquad

I just got here and have no idea what Sony all announced. All I know is that this feature was one of my most wanted for the next gen. To come here and see a thread announcing this. Nice. So good start:)

DBT85

wonder if this means you can charge your controller via usb in the low-power state

Wario tweeted that you can charge while in standby.

Suspend state is good, as was most of the OS stuff they mentioned.

Looking forward to hearing more about all of it over the next 3-4 months.

alterno69

Banned
This is why the first part fo the presentation is what has me more excited, all the games shown today will be forgotten as soon as a year into the consoles life as most launch/launch window games do, but these kind of features have to be implemented from the consoles inception and it's great that SONY has so many features already packed into the console.

This is an incredible feature. It'll be great for MLB.

Fuck... imagine MLB on this thing. Here's hoping they can actually do proper crowds this time around.

Loofy

Sounds like MS' box is going to be woefully underpowered and the OS isn't even going to give it a leg up. It certainly sounds like I am getting a PS4 this go round.
I believe the durango(or maybe it was orbis) rumor was that it could play 2 games at once(2 games suspended). So MS still has the PS4 beat on that feature if true..

This is stupid. Microsoft has the same feature in addition to multiple games/apps open/saved concurrently (if the rumors are to be believed).

I had 3 things I wanted from new consoles: Suspend mode, in-game videos with easy uploading capabilities, and live-game streaming. I figured I'd get one of those things, but Sony delivered on all 3. I wish the games they showed were as impressive, but those will come eventually.

Amazing feature, wonder if Sony patented it.

I mean, stuff like this is really cool and can help them look more advanced and polished, and it shows that they understand what it is about mobile games that make them so attractive-- easy, straight to the point accessibility.

I believe the durango(or maybe it was orbis) rumor was that it could play 2 games at once. So MS still has the PS4 beat on that feature..

Oh yeah, that was Durango. Very cool feature if true, pretty much does what Orbis does but better, then

ironcreed

Banned
Yes, the features sound wonderful. I also love that we can start downloading a game and start playing it while it is downloading.

AlexBasch

Pretty much how I'm using my PSP these days, I just save, put it in sleep mode and resume my current playthrough of FF8.

The "play as it downloads" feature is amazing as well. Those are the kind of things that sold me on the system already.

Top Bottom