• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWF/WCW Attitude Era (1995-2001): Time to nostalgia over out favorite moments!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
I always wondered if Juventud Guererra could really do that flip DDT thing that was his special in WCW/NWO Revenge.

pappe

The whole factions thing always make interesting watch

DX.
The 4 Horsemen.
The Nation of Domination.
Hart Foundation.
The NWO.
The Ministry of Darkness.
The Evolution.

Even the lame ass Nexus thing was interesting to watch even though we knew Super Cena would triumph.

Striker

The Bret-Austin feud was probably my favorite one of all time. Can watch the videos and promos of these two all night.

aznpxdd

Such an awesome period.

I missed most of WCW since I didn't get into wrasslin' until late 90's, the Attitude era pretty much made my elementary - middle school years.

Not to mention 2 of the greatest wrasslin' games came out during this period - Wrestlemania and No Mercy on the N64. Soooo fucking good.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Jericho and Ralphus, The "Chairman" of WCW, Disco Inferno + Alex Wright, fake Sting falling from the rafters and then nWo beating up the doll with bats, Buff Bagwell everything all the time, Any time Scott Hall opened his mouth. When nWo kidnapped Ric Flair and took him to some weird field next to the highway and beat him up for around 20 minutes straight (2 commercial breaks broke up the beating) to fill up time on the new 3 hour Nitro.

RPGCrazied

The best era of wrestling. For some reason I can't watch it anymore. It just doesn't feel the same. Call me old school I guess.

alstein

Because WCW was terrible. Unless you enjoyed seeing every single episode end the same.

WCW didn't become terrible until Sting returned at Stardock and they split up the NWO.

Best WCW though was before 1995- when Vader would find new ways to murder Sting or other poor souls weekly. He was 100 times better then Mark Henry, and I loved watching Mark Henry's Hall of Pain run last year.

Recon

Banned
I miss the old WCW. I stopped watching wrestling a little bit before WCW ended, but man, shit was great to my pre-teen self. NWO/Wolfpac/LWO. Bam bam biggelow coming back. That one mexican guy who's finishing submission was called "Tequila Sunrise". Watching Goldberg decimate everyone. Shit was great, I would pay good money to have a DVD collection of those years. Rey Mysterio getting totally fucked over every week by Eddy Guererro. Man...memories, they keep coming back as I type this, lol. Fuck, the Raven getting super mental and depressed. I need to stop or I will just type out about 3 years of shit.

alstein

For anyone who gets misty-eyed and nostalgiac over this stuff, and are curious about current wrestling, don't be. Trust me, besides some good stuff that CM Punk is doing, along with Jericho, and the occasional Ziggler or Daniel Bryan moment, the show is absolute garbage. Same goes for TNA x1000.

Wrestling will never reach the heights of the late 90's and early 00's, because the talent was just all so good, and the WWE have no real competition to push them, so they can push out schlock every Monday night. I watched a while when Punk was making his marquee run, and then after that dissolved, and they fell into this lame Cena/Rock storyline, but I just can't bring myself to watch something so awful, that will eat up 2 hours of my day, without me being entertained for but perhaps, what, 7 minutes out of the whole program? The endings are always the worst. Empty, devoid of feeling, no payoff or controversy even. You can feel it in the stands the crowd even. Everything is cookie-cutter, lackluster, middle-of-the road, saltine cracker flavored, biege slack colored boring.

idnuKp0WX6rud.gif

Fuck boring.

The closest thing to mid-90's WCW I've seen was AAA a couple years ago, where Konnan was running things. La Legion was a pretty good NWO knockoff, and it's Mexico, so violence was allowed.

BTW Konnan was the guy who used Tequila Sunrise, but he can't wrestle at all anymore- his body is shattered. Great talker though.

LA Park/La Parka is still around down there as well, and still awesome. There's also a shitty knockoff La Parka, but no one really cares about him.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah, this was one of my favorite wrestling moments ever. I was a huge Jericho fan from the moment he turned heel in WCW. I flipped out as much as that crowd did when that 3 count dropped, I was literally jumping up and down in my room cheering.

They should've let Jericho keep the belt til the next PPV at least after that crowd reaction, could've been an amazing leadup run.

Triple H has ruined many things =(.

:(

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Jericho and Ralphus

Oh my god I forgot about Ralphus.

All of Jericho's feuds back in his cruiserweight days were fantastic.

Stinko Malenko, Deano Machino, Roy Mysterio Jr., Ugly Juice. Or even when he'd lose the title then find some sort of loophole to get it right back.

Man I remember at it's peak I use to follow all the big wrestling review sites. I'd watch Raw/Nitro and the next day read the review of the night by the bloggers and just die of laughter.

edit: Actually I remember there was some fatter reviewer that when WWF was winning the Monday night wars he was the only guy who still felt WCW was the better product. He then ended up commentating or being on screen for them in a regular role.

RBH

I watched those two videos back to back a few days. First Brets video, with a 3rd party camera crew documenting what happened & then Shawns video, with the abridged "rebuttal" of what happened.
Vince McMahon & Triple H are complete scumbags who will screw people over in real life & Bret was one of the most honest guys in the business.

If you want to learn even more about the Bret/HBK feud, I would recommend watching this documentary:

51NqQMeqJ-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jim Ross conducts a sit-down interview with Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels, and they talk about the events leading up to the Montreal Screwjob and the aftermath, among other things. This was just released a few months ago.

You can rent the documentary on iTunes, XBL, PSN, etc, and I think it's definitely worth watching, especially for those who enjoyed watching HBK and Bret in '96-'97.

Buncha marks in this thread.

To say that wrestling today is terrible, is just wrong. While I do agree that mainstream WWE/TNA leaves a lot to be desired, there are more ways then ever to watch indy and Japan wrestling. Both of which are fantastic.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Oh my god I forgot about Ralphus.

All of Jericho's feuds back in his cruiserweight days were fantastic.

Stinko Malenko, Deano Machino, Roy Mysterio Jr., Ugly Juice. Or even when he'd lose the title then find some sort of loophole to get it right back.

Man I remember at it's peak I use to follow all the big wrestling review sites. I'd watch Raw/Nitro and the next day read the review of the night by the bloggers and just die of laughter.

edit: Actually I remember there was some fatter reviewer that when WWF was winning the Monday night wars he was the only guy who still felt WCW was the better product. He then ended up commentating or being on screen for them in a regular role.

Dude, Ralphus was my favorite person on the WCW roster. Also, are you talking about, I think his name was Mark Madden?

BFIB

To say that wrestling today is terrible, is just wrong. While I do agree that mainstream WWE/TNA leaves a lot to be desired, there are more ways then ever to watch indy and Japan wrestling. Both of which are fantastic.

ibwLi0B6DUaOVf.gif

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What are the best documentaries and shoot interviews for someone who hasn't watched in 10 or so years?

I hear the Jake the Snake one is good.

GQman2121

Banned
Some rivalries that stick out to me in the 90's.

DDP/Johnny B. Bad

DDP/Savage

Sting/Rude

Sting/Vadar

Sting/WCW/NWO

NWO/everyone in WCW

Flair/Perfect

Jericho/Malenko

Hart/Austin

Hart/Perfect

HBK/Hall

HBK/Undertaker

Tazz/Sabu

Tazz/Bam Bam

RVD/Lynn

Tanaka/Awesome

ECW/TNN - This was in the dying year of the company and had a string of strong matches.

G-Fex

What are the best documentaries and shoot interviews for someone who hasn't watched in 10 or so years?

well damn Timedog I never thought you were a wrestling fan.

There was a legends of wrestling discussion which talked about the nWo, but I forgot where I got the video on youtube. I wasn't done seeing it :(

GQman2121

Banned

Right around the time I stopped following wrestling, Joey Styles cut what seemed to be a shoot interview at the top of the ramp on RAW. It seemed so genuine, and so spot-on with the current state of the "sport", that it couldn't have been scripted. I was shocked that it made the air because he basically took a shit on the company and then called the fans retarded for buying into McManhon's watered down version of wrestling.

G-Fex

Right around the time I stopped following wrestling, Joey Styles cut what seemed to be a shoot interview at the top of the ramp on RAW. It seemed so genuine, and so spot-on with the current state of the "sport", that it couldn't have been scripted. I was shocked that it made the air because he basically took a shit on the company and then called the fans retarded for buying into McManhon's watered down version of wrestling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWnmYLW54YI

yeah, I remember that.

CM Punk did a pretty good shoot last year too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OS9wZGb_3g

RBH

Some documentaries I enjoyed:

Hitman Hart: Wrestling with Shadows
Beyond the Mat
Rise and Fall of ECW
WWE Greatest Rivalries: Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels
Jake "The Snake" Roberts: Pick Your Poison
True Story of Wrestlemania
Breaking The Code: Behind The Walls of Chris Jericho
Stone Cold Steve Austin: The Bottom Line on the Most Popular Superstar of All Time
Rise and Fall of WCW

Quite a few of them are on Netflix right now as well:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36471169&postcount=87

rpx7r.jpg

Everything with these guys

And now they're practically all dead

Being Canadian, the Canada vs USA angle is what made me got into a wrestling in the first place. The storylines became so personal that it was pretty hard not to get hooked.

My best friends weren't into wrestling anymore at the time (they pretty much stopped around when the Ultimate Warrior quit). Had to convince them to watch it again since it was so good. They eventually did, especially during the Stone Cold/Rising Rocky Maivia era.

zchen

Curious to know Which japanese wrestlers and feds are worth watching now ?I haven't been following Japanese wrestling too much since mid 2000s (Around when Kojima defeasted Tenzan in that Triple Crown vs IWGP title match). I thought 90s AJPW Heavyweight matches and NJPW jr. heavyweight matches were much superior than what I was getting in the early-mid 2000s....I still watch Kawada Vs Misawa June 1994, The 95 AJPW champions carnaval, Kawada/Taue vs Misawa/Kobashi, Akiyama/Misawa vs Kawada/Taue etc

*checks wikipedia.....

Akiyama won the triple crown?????!

Curious to know Which japanese wrestlers and feds are worth watching now ?I haven't been following Japanese wrestling too much since mid 2000s. I thought 90s AJPW Heavyweight matches and NJPW jr. heavyweight matches were much superior than what I was getting in the early-mid 2000s....I still watch Kawada Vs Misawa June 1994, The 95 AJPW champions carnaval, Kawada/Taue vs Misawa/Kobashi, Akiyama/Kobashi vs Kawada/Taue etc

NJPW and AJPW are still the best to watch today - AJPW took a turn for the worse after Misawa left and took half the roster to form NOAH, but while NOAH is not in good health today, AJPW has really improved a ton this past year or two, with guys like Suwama, Shuji Kondo, Takao Omori, Jun Akiyama, Kenny Omega, Hiroshi Yamato, etc, putting on some great matches. NJPW is doing well also and still the biggest company in Japan, although puroresu as a whole is down in popularity. Guys like Shinsuke Nakamura, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito, MVP, Minoru Suzuki, Prince Devitt are some of the best to keep an eye out for in NJPW.

If you're looking to watch some online, I've got a bunch of shows up on DailyMotion; http://www.dailymotion.com/playlists/user/SenorLARIATO - I'd definitely recommend the 03/20 AJPW show, which was one of the best puro shows in years from top to bottom.

zchen said:
Akiyama won the triple crown?????!

Yeah, and just had an awesome match against Mutoh. I'm loving his title run and the role he's playing as the returning AJPW veteran, now representing rival promotion NOAH.

blind51de

Banned
RVD and Jerry Lynn

Simply the best long-term feud, so much talent between the two of them.

I think their last match (that I saw) was on Heat when they'd both started out in WWF, it supposedly got twenty minutes cut out of it for broadcast.

G-Fex

RVD and Jerry Lynn

Simply the best long-term feud, so much talent between the two of them.

I think their last match was on Heat when they'd both started out in WWF, it supposedly got twenty minutes cut out of it for broadcast.

Believe it or not man, they've still got that feud going in TNA now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom