• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

1-D_FTW

I actually like the 3DSs slidepad quite alot.

I expected to hate it with all the bad rap it gets here and after enduring the PSP's POS one for years, but it actually feels quite good.

I've never argued it was horrible. It's pretty decent for a portable. Just that it's inferior to actual sticks. Do you prefer it to sticks? If so, I think you're in the minority.

What's that card in the first pic supposed to be?

Another thing, does anyone notice any difference in A,B,X,Y buttons?
Indeed buttons from what I've previously seen from the web looked tiny and uncomfortable like those on DSi, so I hope they have manage to address this issue.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Looks like Nintendo does occasionally listen to gamers.

You know it is pretty common for Nintendo to make adjustments to their controllers during development.

618mg.jpg

Terrell

I don't play with my friends online, not that much at least, and I really depend on meeting new friends online, so I can play with them. How would I add them if I don't know their universal name? If it just shows me the number, then what's the point of a friend code then? it defeats the purpose of "security" if I see the number right there, in front of me. If they change their name, I won't be able to know who the hell he was before.

I really depend on talking to people. How would I call someone on the phone without a username? If they change their legal name, the phone number I have for someone with their name on it makes it so I can't tell who I'm calling.

Yeah..... that's how much sense you just made.

And also, being "dependent" on meeting new friends online? What world am I living in nowadays?

KillGore

I really depend on talking to people. How would I call someone on the phone without a username? If they change their legal name, the phone number I have for someone with their name on it makes it so I can't tell who I'm calling.

Yeah..... that's how much sense you just made.

And also, being "dependent" on meeting new friends online? What world am I living in nowadays?

what the fuck? that isn't remotely close to what I said. I don't play on the phone and meet random strangers that I have a good conversation with. You don't just pick up the phone and it'll automatically call other people. You need numbers to call them and you can't know the number unless you know the person or know a person that know that person. I play games online and I find the occasional person who plays really well with me and we make a great team, so I add them because I saw their online name.

Seems to me you're just putting a fucking stupid excuse to make usernames sound like an idiotic idea.

"being "dependent" on meeting new friends online"

Not even sure why its so hard to believe that I like making friends online, I am in a forum you know. If you have personal friends who play with you constantly then that's good for you, but I don't, so I play online with others.

Dartastic

Man I really hope the back still looks like on this:
2yelan.jpg

Instead of this...:
2a2wl4m.jpg

It just looks so much more comfortable.
I honestly bet it would be way more comfy. I held the flat one at E3 last year, and I personally didn't find it nearly as comfy as all the journalists did. The extra stuff on the back would make it way more ergonomic, IMO.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Ergonomics. Looks alot more comfy this way!

Yes, but pretty ugly. Soooo much dead space on either side. And the placement of the sticks throws off the layout. It looks odd now, that's all.

dwu8991

Banned
DK:CR, Kirby, NSMB, Rayman Origins are NOW PLAYABLE on the Wii U controller with the moving of the plus and minus buttons !!!

Haunted

Still looks so unwieldy. I'd trust Nintendo to make it work but then they kinda messed up the 3DS.

Sticks are good though, I like sticks.

Terrell

what the fuck? that isn't remotely close to what I said. I don't play on the phone and meet random strangers that I have a good conversation with. I play games online and I find the occasional person who plays really well with me and we make a great team, so I add them because I know their online name.

Seems to me you're just putting a fucking stupid excuse to make usernames sound like an idiotic idea.

"being "dependent" on meeting new friends online"

Not even sure why its so hard to believe that I like making friends online, I am in a forum you know.

Tell me how meeting random people online and wanting to play with them again is different from, say, going to a party and meeting a random person you liked getting to know. You want to stay in touch with both. Real person gives you a phone number and a name. It's up to you to establish who that person is by recalling those details as they relate to the phone number, either by storing them somewhere or simple memory.

With friend codes, you get an added benefit... a name they designate and a Mii, a PHYSICAL REPRESENTATION of that person, to reference to.

You postulated a scenario where people will change their usernames like they change underwear, which simply isn't the case.

Maybe I want to call myself Terrell on my WiiU profile, not Terrell(insert 5 random numbers here because someone already has that name and I can't have it)

The benefit to each individual user outweighs your need for convenience because you barely know the people you game with and can't tell them apart (which is irrelevant, since the Mii they assign to their profile still lets you tell them apart from the rest anyways)

And lastly, making friends online and being "dependent" on doing so online are 2 different things. If I want to make friends, the only thing I'm "dependent" on to do it is my 2 feet propelling me outside to meet people.

Croc

Banned
Has anyone mentioned the new home button? I like the look of the new one way more, and it looks like that's going to be a light around it (probably blue?). Kinda like the 360 home button.

Has anyone mentioned the new home button? I like the look of the new one way more, and it looks like that's going to be a light around it (probably blue?). Kinda like the 360 home button.

Yeah. It'll likely be like the 3DS Notification Light.
Different colors for different things.

What ports / buttons are those other things on the top?

From left to right: Charger, Headphone, IR, Toggle Switch for something or other.

Thraktor

What ports / buttons are those other things on the top?

On the bottom image, which I assume is the new version of the controller, from left to right it looks like:

power connector, earphones, IR emitter, brightness slider and then the stylus

SykoTech

Sticks and rechargeable battery greatly please me. The Wiimote drives me nuts with the way it goes through batteries

Agreed. It seemed to go through AA batteries faster than the GBA to me. Glad I won't have to deal with that anymore.

They'd be "playable" on the Wii. It's called the CCPro.

DKCR, Kirby, and NSMBWii are compatible with a Classic Controller? I thought they were Wii-mote only.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Well, i'm partially owned ><

As people following the speculation threads know, i've waited for the 21st of this month, when i'll normally become member, to reveal this (not a picture though).

I already stated when the Rayman Trailer leaked that:

I'm in a good mood, so i'll drop a mini-bomb, k ?

This is NOT the final & definitive controller. The one used in this trailer isn't the "updated" model.

And hinted throughout all these threads that we'll see alterations on the DRC

I also tried to have a confirmation of what i've heard from my sources through a confirmed developer here, by exchanging with him some messages, 1 month ago, like this one:

Private Message: I have new infos to confirm :)
Recipients: lherre
IdeaMan
(04-17-2012, 04:02 PM)
Fwd

I have new infos to confirm :)
Hey lherre, how are you ? Still busy with your development ?

I have some new infos to confirm and talk with you if you don't mind.

The "mass production" dev kits are available to be ordered by studios (my source will receive them soon, i guess it's the "v5" or final dev kits ?).

BLANK (please lherre do not say it lol)

There are changes made in the DRC, in button placements, and the sticks will be "bigger"

BLANK

I need to catch-up and find all that was revealed tonight, if it's still worth it, i'll create those threads i indented to do, the week of 21 may.

theBishop

Banned
I hope they do sticks, sliders are a total fail.

But I also hope that controller isn't real. There's so much wasted space on an already enormous controller. Looks like about 1.5" of blank slate on the left side.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Tell me how meeting random people online and wanting to play with them again is different from, say, going to a party and meeting a random person you liked getting to know. You want to stay in touch with both. Real person gives you a phone number and a name. It's up to you to establish who that person is by recalling those details as they relate to the phone number, either by storing them somewhere or simple memory.

With friend codes, you get an added benefit... a name they designate and a Mii, a PHYSICAL REPRESENTATION of that person, to reference to.

You postulated a scenario where people will change their usernames like they change underwear, which simply isn't the case.

Maybe I want to call myself Terrell on my WiiU profile, not Terrell(insert 5 random numbers here because someone already has that name and I can't have it)

The benefit to each individual user outweighs your need for convenience because you barely know the people you game with and can't tell them apart (which is irrelevant, since the Mii they assign to their profile still lets you tell them apart from the rest anyways)

And lastly, making friends online and being "dependent" on doing so online are 2 different things. If I want to make friends, the only thing I'm "dependent" on to do it is my 2 feet propelling me outside to meet people.
OT.

MYE

I hope they do sticks, sliders are a total fail.

But I also hope that controller isn't real. There's so much wasted space on an already enormous controller. Looks like about 1.5" of blank slate on the left side.

Probably due to ergonomics.

Koren

I play games online and I find the occasional person who plays really well with me and we make a great team, so I add them because I saw their online name.

You could technically add people you've met online often without their friend code if they implement something like Sony in PSN (and I guess Microsoft also) : a list of people you've recently encountered.

I don't like the fact that the nickname and the login are the same on PSN/XBL : you have to use different names on forums, on PSN, on XBL, etc. or use numbers or other modifiers to the nickname. Not so convenient (I keep forgetting who is who because of this in my friendlists). For that, at least, the system of friends codes seems interesting to me.

But they indeed need a true account system, cross-platform (and obviously cross-game).

Edit : OT, indeed. Sorry for that, I though we were in the speculation thread.

You could technically add people you've met online often without their friend code if they implement something like Sony in PSN (and I guess Microsoft also) : a list of people you've recently encountered.

I don't like the fact that the nickname and the login are the same on PSN/XBL : you have to use different names on forums, on PSN, on XBL, etc. or use numbers or other modifiers to the nickname. Not so convenient (I keep forgetting who is who because of this in my friendlists). For that, at least, the system of friends codes seems interesting to me.

But they indeed need a true account system, cross-platform (and obviously cross-game).

They've done this before with Rival lists and even recently with Communities.

Top Bottom