• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Evolution |OT| ROCK'N'ROLL TRIALS STYLE BABY

So how is the general learning curve in this compared to the original? I got to the extreme tracks in HD and just couldn't hack it. Couldn't even finish them, at any number of faults. Do I have a chance in Evo?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So how is the general learning curve in this compared to the original? I got to the extreme tracks in HD and just couldn't hack it. Couldn't even finish them, at any number of faults. Do I have a chance in Evo?

I found it easier than HD. I still can't do the last extreme track but the learning curve is much cleaer this time.

You should be able to do all the hard tracks and properly the first few extreme tracks so you won't miss much

eek5

I think you'll like this game even if you can't do the extreme tracks since you can actually get new tracks from track central. If you enjoyed the game at medium/hard there should end up being content for you for a long time at least.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Would like to see a checkpoint before the railway track (last obstacle before the end), and it was maybe a little difficult to see the track and obstacles in the beginning. Otherwise, no complaints. Well, there are two obstacles that seem out-of-place, in that they are much harder than the others, but I guess that's by design?

Edit: by the way, I never heard the checkpoints (the sound they are supposed to make when you reach them). Is that right?
First off, thank you for your feedback. I considered making a checkpoint before the little railway track but I kinda thought it ruined the vibe of the escape at the end there. I didn't think it was too much to expect after most other medium-difficulty tracks have two difficult areas confined between two checkpoints. I did add one right before you enter the cage area though because I thought that was the most frustrating after testing it. By design it's mean to get harder as it goes on, as you get closer to the refinery, but I realize it might not be perfect for everyone.

Not sure about the checkpoints not making a sound, I thought they did but I'll have to give it another look.

I find the LIMBO track pretty easy. It's waaaaay easier than 1-bit Trip was, which was kinda similar

Oh, and question, does the 500 faults/half an hour limit apply over all the tracks in a tournament as well?
Limbo is so hard for me for some reason. The altered physics throws me off every time, and I continually fuck up at the drop down :(

I've shouted "NO!" so many times when I've pressed back instead of B out of some subconscious twitch :(
Fuck, this is the worst on Gigatrack :(

Whoa, Silhouette Redux under RedLynx Picks is awesome.
Yes, yes it is.

Najaf

Half way through first tier medium platinums.

Jimbo, Brakara and WhiteHawk, all your times will be mine! (damn you rollercoaster)

Finally got platinum on Sunset Stripped, even beating Najaf! Now on to medium.

*shakes fist*

edit: Sent request to you BolognaSoup. Need some more times to race against.

whitehawk

Banned
Rest assured, when you make it past that jump, there is an equally annoying jump right after.
lol what, everything after that one hard jump in Dark City Run is easy.

But I agree with that hard jump everyone is talking about. I still consistently have trouble with it.

Daigoro

i finished Inferno III for the first time earier today. 70 something faults, wasnt too bad.

if it werent for those planks and to a lesser extent the barrel jump after the planks, it would be a cake walk for me. its a short and seemingly easy level.

i am so bad at the planks though. they were my major stumbling block in HD and the reason i never 0 faulted Inferno 2. (that and a lack of an extra 50 hrs practice)

Limbo is so hard for me for some reason. The altered physics throws me off every time, and I continually fuck up at the drop down :(

is it you that said this earlier in the thread too? there are no altered physics in the Limbo track. the camera is pulled back and its dark, thats pretty much all that different.

it;s not a great track though, i agree. at least its not as shitty as 1 Bit Trip! (like someone else said earlier. hate that fucking track)

Half way through first tier medium platinums.

Jimbo, Brakara and WhiteHawk, all your times will be mine! (damn you rollercoaster)

who is Jimbo on GAF? is he even still here? (im gonna feel dumb huh?). we added each other for HD and ive been chasing his ghosts ever since. i immediately forgot his gaf name though.

do you have MadMav on your friend list too? i think i got him through jimbo if i remember correctly...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
is it you that said this earlier in the thread too? there are no altered physics in the Limbo track. the camera is pulled back and its dark, thats pretty much all that different.

it;s not a great track though, i agree. at least its not as shitty as 1 Bit Trip! (like someone else said earlier. hate that fucking track)
Nah, first time complainer here haha. Everything feels floatier for some reason to me. Hmm.

So I saw in Local races you can bail to the finish but you can't do that online.

They should make it so you can do that online. Its hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qDzzqLJqLjg#t=723s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qDzzqLJqLjg#t=625s

I'm not even kidding, this practically MAKES local multiplayer. It seems so simple in theory but makes it SO much fun on some more "loose" tracks. The multiplayer locally has this crazy dynamic where if the tracks are flowy and less technical, they make for great fun with the bailout finish mechanic, but with technical tracks, you get the added touch of watching people fail and begin hoping the lone survivor will carry them to the next checkpoint; only to see them fail beautifully as well. This game is a riot offline.

Daigoro

So I saw in Local races you can bail to the finish but you can't do that online.

They should make it so you can do that online. Its hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qDzzqLJqLjg#t=723s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qDzzqLJqLjg#t=625s

no they shoudlnt.

Nah, first time complainer here haha.

odd, someone else said that earlier as well. maybe im wrong! but no, because i hate altered physics tracks and i dont hate Limbo, i just think its lackluster and not a great track.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Are you sure? I am almost positive that the bike is far floatier in the Limbo track than any other normal level. You get a similar effect in the Super Meat Boy track.

whitehawk

Banned
The physics in Limbo aren't different. It's just feels different because the camera tracks your rider differently. I find it makes it a harder tracks as well.
because its cheesy.
Dude no. It's so fun. When you are in a private match you can enable it, and it's so fun flying from behind and passing your bud and pissing him off
KuGsj.gif

Keep it off for online trials, keep it on for all supercross modes.

atomsk

Party Pooper
got a few more plats today, now at 40.

the worst is missing one by .026 seconds.

now to watch my global position slowly decline as my skills more or less even out.

whitehawk

Banned
I highly reccomend subscribing to this guy: http://youtu.be/RrgRzX7jhM4

He posted a bunch of great custom tracks he made for Trials HD, but they were such a hassle to get. But now that it's easy, I can't wait to see what he creates. The video I posted above looks like an awesome track, can't wait to play it.

Daigoro

Keep it off for online trials, keep it on for all supercross modes.

it is kind of fun in friend only games, and i could see it in most supercross tracks (not on any Trials tracks). that might be acceptable in a staight line type track.

but take that redlynx created one that was out on the first day (uh brain boxes or seomthing... i forget). at the end there are two ways to finish. hop the lip or do a backflip and hop over. being able to eject ruins the whole ending of that track. everyone will cheese it every time.

its fun for a goof, but i want to win or lose because of how well i ride, not some skill game launch bullshit.

against friends its all good though.

Daigoro

holy crap i just remembered. someone from gaf invited me to some multiplayer games the other day.

how about those awesome user created tracks that you cant finish because your lane comes to a dead end? awesome right?!

we played 2-3 of those during a short period. good times.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I didnt like Silhouette Redux much, but another Redlynx Pick, Rundown, is awesome. Short but sweet slightly technical track.

holy crap i just remembered. someone from gaf invited me to some multiplayer games the other day.

how about those awesome user created tracks that you cant finish because your lane comes to a dead end? awesome right?!

we played 2-3 of those during a short period. good times.

I think I was there for that. There was that one track where my lane had this MASSIVE thing right at the start line that I couldn't get over, and someone else's lane just had nothing in it at all. That was fun!

The barrel in The Wreck. Argh.

This was my nemesis yesterday. Rage quit at it three times. I finally got it and posted this on another forum, it might help.

Jump up there and lean forwards in such a way that your front wheel lands on the barrel and your back wheel is high in the air, and slam on the brakes. You should balance there for a bit. From that position, you can quickly lean backwards to shift your back wheel to the barrel, and then quickly launch forwards from there with a little bunny hop to make the distance if needed. Still takes a bit of practice, but it works. I was trying for ages just to land on the barrel normally and wait, and you just can't get enough speed off it that way. If that doesn't make sense, find my replay on the leaderboard to see me do it.

I was reaching that bit on 15 faults and fumbling over in 200, but now I've set a time of 19 faults and got the gold medal for it!

LordAlu

I finally finally FINALLY got gold on Gigatrack last night. By like 0.2 seconds. All that practice has strangely made me a bit better too as I then moved on to the hard tracks and pretty much golded 7 of them in a row :p

Najaf

that guy is handling the bike like a real trials rider. I can't do stuff like where he hitches the bike backwards on the rear wheel. Maybe it'll come with time, I'm just getting used to balancing the bike.

That stuff just comes naturally over time. The more you play, the more control of the bike is second nature. Just give it some time.

eek5

that guy is handling the bike like a real trials rider. I can't do stuff like where he hitches the bike backwards on the rear wheel. Maybe it'll come with time, I'm just getting used to balancing the bike.

Pretty sure that's a developer behind the controller too so don't feel too bad lol

Daigoro

Thus is the true brilliance of Trials revealed.

Guys like you are the reason I don't want GAFers on my friends list.

It's just too damn depressing. :p
Good job.

You just need people who are better but not leaps and bounds over your skill level to aspire to. Just gotta find the right people to add to your friend lsit.

The learning curve is much steadier in Evolution than in HD. The extreme tracks are still really hard, but there's a great balance of other tracks, and doable, yet difficult challenges even on the first set of tracks. The platinums on the early tracks are very difficult, yet still attainable.

Top Bottom