• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

I got 14 hours already played and corpses seem perfectly fine so far.

I personally like having corpses around because you can use them as an attack buffer in some situations. If I'm down to one enemy and I need to heal, I'll use attacks on corpses which stops the party from stressing out from inactivity. Last I know this still worked but I can see them changing that out.

I mainly just want people to enjoy the game and some might not know that you can tune down the difficulty / unfairness a bit.

I don't see an answer but is there a way to speed up/skip certain animations, such as the 'zoom in' during enemy attacks, the stress animations, and the affliction checks? I just don't enjoy the amount of time spent staring at them. Reminds me of games like Civilization V where I turn off as many animations as possible for enemy turns. I just want to see the results of it to respond to. I don't need to be shown the animation for every step.

DrArchon

Stuttering is completely gone for me now. Good stuff.

Yep. Did two missions after the patch and no stuttering on my end. Thank God that didn't last too long.

Also, got a second secret room, so now I know they aren't just for runs with bosses at the end. No cool items like Dismas' Head though.

Neoweee

I personally like having corpses around because you can use them as an attack buffer in some situations. If I'm down to one enemy and I need to heal, I'll use attacks on corpses which stops the party from stressing out from inactivity. Last I know this still worked but I can see them changing that out.

I mainly just want people to enjoy the game and some might not know that you can tune down the difficulty / unfairness a bit.

It's like they added something to solve game-y exploitation that just adds a different type of exploit. It is easily the most baffling change from early EA.

RMI

Banned
I don't see an answer but is there a way to speed up/skip certain animations, such as the 'zoom in' during enemy attacks, the stress animations, and the affliction checks? I just don't enjoy the amount of time spent staring at them. Reminds me of games like Civilization V where I turn off as many animations as possible for enemy turns. I just want to see the results of it to respond to. I don't need to be shown the animation for every step.

I don't think there is such a thing, but I agree the pace of this game is a bit of a slog sometimes.

Neoweee

I don't think there is such a thing, but I agree the pace of this game is a bit of a slog sometimes.

Yeah, it contributes to how bad runs get increasingly stressful and irritating. The worse you're doing, the more gameplay gets interrupted with attack, stress, damage, and effect animations. It gets really annoying.

I don't know if it is supposed to be intentional or not.

Mdk7

I'm loving this, i started playing it yesterday at 11PM and went to bed at 4.30 AM, sleeping a grand total of 2.5 hours, LOL.
Seriously, it's just damn fucking good in every single aspect.
Plus, as a fan of Lovecraft, i'm constantly in awe: the art direction is nothing but stellar, and the overall mood simply sublime, with its unsettling eeriness and its despair everywhere.

Unfortunately i experienced a brutal crash on my MacBook Air while going back to the title screen, and lost the save. Was able to recover it eventually, but i got pretty scared (and depressed, kinda like the characters in game).

AzureSky

this game demands to be on a tablet and maybe smartphone. The UI, turn-by-turn gameplay and flexible gametime is pretty much perfect for a mobile device. I'm surprised it's not a higher priority.

I've hardly played it since it came out on steam but I've been hitting it pretty hard the last couple of days and enjoying it immensely.

I've actually found it a little easier than when it launched. Only lost one Hellion so far, beaten 4 bosses (3 easily, the Siren was a closer thing) and only had to retreat screaming into the night a couple of times out of 30 missions so far. Even found uses for all the classes so far, though I wish another Occultist would turn up so I could my Abomination a little more!

Still hate the Vomiting pigs though!

Mdk7

I've hardly played it since it came out on steam but I've been hitting it pretty hard the last couple of days and enjoying it immensely.

I've actually found it a little easier than when it launched. Only lost one Hellion so far, beaten 4 bosses (3 easily, the Siren was a closer thing) and only had to retreat screaming into the night a couple of times out of 30 missions so far. Even found uses for all the classes so far, though I wish another Occultist would turn up so I could my Abomination a little more!

Still hate the Vomiting pigs though!

Woah, you're good man!
I'm at Week 8 i think and i already had to retreat twice.
No casualties ATM (and still 0 boss killed), but the mental sanity of some of my strongest characters is definitely a bit compromised.

Heh this game. I have recently taken a bit of a break from gaming. Over the holidays I usually try to squeeze in as many games as I can and beat them. This time however, I just wasn't feeling it and spent most of my time socializing, spending time with friends and family.

Fast forward to now, school starts and still no itch to play. However, the full release of this game drops, and I totally fall in love with it again, after having put it down and wait until this day.

I just woke up wanting to do a few more short dungeon runs. It's unfortunate that I need to go to school lol. It's been a while since I felt like this. Guess those torches rekindled my love for gaming again. The minimal story and somewhat bitesized gameplay is really what I needed in my life, rather than just another lengthy campaign or hectic competitive multiplayer title. This is a good, addicting game.

Neoweee

Best Change to the game since early EA: New classes. All four of them seem to add quite a bit t the game, and I think the Houndmaster is just a great design, both visually and mechanically.

ShadowOwl

I'm a bit annoyed by the fact that there is no DRM free version available right now for Humble Store customers. Did any of the of the backers get the DRM free version via Humble yet?

Bought it there because Red Hood has stated several times that there would be a DRM free version on Hhumble: Twitter, FAQ from Steam, Kickstarter Update
Tried to contact Red Hook via Twitter, Steam DD forum and the official DD forum but no such luck yet.

Edit: Ughhhhhhhhhhh, from the Kickstarter update:
As many of you have requested, we now can confirm that all backers will have the option to choose whether to get a Steam key OR a DRM Free download for the full game release.
*sniff*

jblank83

Yeah, it contributes to how bad runs get increasingly stressful and irritating. The worse you're doing, the more gameplay gets interrupted with attack, stress, damage, and effect animations. It gets really annoying.

I don't know if it is supposed to be intentional or not.

Yes, I want streamlined features to remove or minimize all the interrupts and barks. It makes fights tedious. I don't mind dying. Wasting my time is another matter.

explodet

Started my first run yesterday, so far I'm apparently doing fantastic. Nobody's died on my watch yet, and I've always managed to complete my tasks, though with everybody held together with string and gluestick both physically and mentally.

I fully anticipate things to deteriorate quick.

And somebody get my caretaker out of the abbey. That asshole won't stop flagellating himself.

Serrato

So I was wondering, I bought the game when it was in alpha (or was it beta?) and while I liked the game, I disliked the blatant RNG against me.

Maybe it was just that I was THAT unlucky but enemies had like 20%+ crit chance at every fight. I even remember a random mook that crited 5 times in a row. That's when I quit haha.

Did they change that or it was just me?

DrArchon

So I was wondering, I bought the game when it was in alpha (or was it beta?) and while I liked the game, I disliked the blatant RNG against me.

Maybe it was just that I was THAT unlucky but enemies had like 20%+ crit chance at every fight. I even remember a random mook that crited 5 times in a row. That's when I quit haha.

Did they change that or it was just me?

I think when your torch meter is low enemies will get more crits and less misses. I always keep my torch level high and I don't see many enemy crits at all.

But RNG can be a bitch still. That's just the nature of the game.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
RNG killed my Dismas. Came up against four enemies. He was at least at half health. All four attacked him before I had a turn - third attack put him on Death's Door, and the last attack finished him off.

To add insult to injury, RNG didn't give me another Highwayman for like 9 weeks.

That's the game, though. For every time something like that happens, I also managed to take out a boss through pure luck - all four party members hit 100 Stress, but all four received positive traits and just easily beat the boss down.

It happens.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Gotta say, I feel like heart attacks and corpses are pretty integral to the balance of the game. I haven't played this in EA, but I heard the criticisms loud and clear.

Playing without corpses clearly breaks the positioning mechanic because you can circumvent it by killing dudes, making a battle snowball quickly in your favor.

Without heart attacks, dealing with stress isn't as big of a deal. I get a random roll on a new good/bad trait that I can erase with some gold. Big deal.

Not sure how much they've tweaked these two things since the complains but I would go as far to say the game's mechanics would be half-baked without them.

Sober

I haven't even gotten a heart attack. Is that when you hit 200 stress? I usually sideline people who break 100 even if they go virtuous from it.

Speaking of which the afflictions don't really have tooltips, do they?

Game became pretty easy once I figured out the best first move is to upgrade the stage coach so that it brings in 4 fresh recruits after every departure. That way you have a fresh team ASAP to send out and can just cycle party members like nothing. Still not a fan of not being able to disable certain animations though.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I haven't even gotten a heart attack. Is that when you hit 200 stress? I usually sideline people who break 100 even if they go virtuous from it.

Speaking of which the afflictions don't really have tooltips, do they?
Yeah, hitting 200 stress will put you at death's door instantly. I had someone develop a selfishness affliction (I think) at 100 stress, which gave them more stress anytime someone else got a crit, killed a dude, or generally did well. That stacked up quick.

I haven't found a way to tell what different afflictions do besides looking at stat changes. Yeah, I'm not sure if that's intentional or an oversight.

What did heart attacks add? I immediately cured anyone worth keeping around at 100 stress, and it's not like positive traits gained from resolve tests stick around so there wasn't a need to send people back out. was there an exploit?

Gothos

Gotta say, I feel like heart attacks and corpses are pretty integral to the balance of the game. I haven't played this in EA, but I heard the criticisms loud and clear.

I think that the game would be too easy without them. I only killed 2 bosses though and my highest hero is lvl3 so maybe I don't what I'm talking about :p

Dreavus

What did heart attacks add? I immediately cured anyone worth keeping around at 100 stress, and it's not like positive traits gained from resolve tests stick around so there wasn't a need to send people back out. was there an exploit?

I think it was just to make you care a little bit more about stress management even after someone is afflicted. In the old system I think characters "capped" at 100 stress and further stress didn't really do anything. Obviously afflictions are generally bad (characters skip turns, refuse healing, etc.) but once they were afflicted you didn't really care about their stress. This way makes it much more dangerous to let stress get to your heroes, especially after being afflicted.

I think it was just to make you care a little bit more about stress management even after someone is afflicted. In the old system I think characters "capped" at 100 stress and further stress didn't really do anything. Obviously afflictions are generally bad (characters skip turns, refuse healing, etc.) but once they were afflicted you didn't really care about their stress. This way makes it much more dangerous to let stress get to your heroes, especially after being afflicted.

Ah so it's more for when you're already in the field and get afflicted, to add a sense of unease and urgency, as opposed to sending people back for more once afflicted.

Neoweee

It's a solution to the extremely niche strategy of "100 Stress? I don't give a fuck! YOLO." It was't a particularly good or widespread strategy.

Uthred

It's a solution to the extremely niche strategy of "100 Stress? I don't give a fuck! YOLO." It was't a particularly good or widespread strategy.

Thats hardly the only thing it addresses, without it the stress system has no bite whatsoever, i.e. without it you wouldnt have to care about stress at all, considering you always gain stress that would make it an omnipresent "strategy"

Neoweee

Thats hardly the only thing it addresses, without it the stress system has no bite whatsoever, i.e. without it you wouldnt have to care about stress at all, considering you always gain stress that would make it an omnipresent "strategy"

Most people don't really do that, though, as it takes time and money to get rid of all those afflictions that come from maxing your stress.

I view it as kind of a roundabout way to dragging your feet to heal up during battle, but there's probably a more direct way.

Heart attacks just seem like they very rarely matter. There's more important cheese or counter-intuitive strategies that they should have implemented mechanics to counter.

Falk

that puzzling face
As long as they don't add heart attacks IRL. I'm good with just stress IRL

iFwVnyg.gif

Best Change to the game since early EA: New classes. All four of them seem to add quite a bit t the game, and I think the Houndmaster is just a great design, both visually and mechanically.

The most recent hero they added was the Abomination, the dude in chains that can shape shift into a demon. He's worth checking out but you can't pair him with holy classes, so Vestal's and Crusader's can't be grouped with him.

There's still more classes they plan to add post release as well.

kionedrik

Just lost my first guy today to the Hag... Never really found a way to deal with her and always ended up panicking to get my guys off the cauldron.
She's dead now but I need to find some suitable tactic for her big sister otherwise it'll be a full wipe next time.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just lost my first guy today to the Hag... Never really found a way to deal with her and always ended up panicking to get my guys off the cauldron.
She's dead now but I need to find some suitable tactic for her big sister otherwise it'll be a full wipe next time.

Let go of the person in the cauldron - they're gone - a lost cause. Mourn their (inevitible) death by just burning down the Hag ASAP.

jblank83

Arbalests, Witch Doctors, anything that hits back rank monsters.

Just ignore the cauldron and kill her. She doesn't have much HP.

Tangeroo

I've only ever had secret rooms show up when scouting, FWIW. You need a skeleton key to access.

I never needed a skeleton key to access it. Just push up in the section of the hall where the room is (indicated by a star icon on the map). The box inside has always been unlocked for me.

Ignore whoever is in the pot and focus on the hag. Eventually whoever is in the pot will pop out at deaths door, you might be able to get a heal off to save them.

I've killed her veteran version doing this but still ended up losing a person.

Hellions with Iron Swan too.

DrArchon

Arbalests, Witch Doctors, anything that hits back rank monsters.

Just ignore the cauldron and kill her. She doesn't have much HP.

I had one guy who could hit the cauldron hard enough to free my team by himself which really helped. I also found that blight and bleed are pretty good when she steals people and pushes the guys in the back up front where they may not be able to attack. At least then I could have her get damaged while shuffling dudes around.

Just beat the first hag. Had 3 people on death's door, but still no fatalities for me!

I don't do Early Access, so I'm thrilled to see this one come out complete!

.. Now if only I had some extra shmackeroos.. Maybe after I beat Dragon's Dogma..

RMI

Banned

i had a terrible time with the hag because neither of my heavy hitters could actually hit rank 3 or 4 :-/ the upshot of that was that they actually focused on getting people out of the cauldron while i chipped away at her with a jester of all things. it was like cauldron, cauldron, heal, stab. took forever.

Does this game continually crash for anyone else? I get about 3 an hour and it's not like it's a super demanding game or anything.

during early access i had an issue where it would consistently crash whenever I got a steam notification, e.g. "so and so is playing whatever." so I had to turn off steam notifications. Since then I've had one crash to desktop for no reason.

Top Bottom