• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie explains why Destiny 2 is 30 FPS on consoles, even the PS4 Pro (CPU limits)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
IGN said:
IGN: "Why did you make that decision. You're like 'We're going to lock it at 4K/30 max on consoles.' Is it just like, you don't want to push the consoles too hard, or why do you make that choice?"

Luke Smith: "I mean, I'm going to wade into this, and you [Mark Noseworthy] can flesh it out. The console, the PS4 Pro is super powerful, but it couldn't run our game at 60. Our game's this rich physics simulation where collision of players, networking, etc, and like, it wouldn't run."

IGN: "Yeah, makes sense."

Luke Smith: "Not enough horsepower there."

Mark Noseworthy: "But there's tons of GPU power in the PS4 Pro. That's why we're doing 4K, right? It's on the CPU side. Destiny's simulation, like we have more AI, more monsters in an environment with physically simulated vehicles and characters and projectiles, and it's part of the Destiny magic, like that, like 30 seocnds of fun, like coming around a corner and throwing a grenade, popping a guy in the head, and then you add like 5, 6, 7 other players in a public event; that is incredibly intensive for hardware."
Source: https://youtu.be/7FcfEU1FLy0?t=4198

I don't believe this. Solid 30 on original Destiny on Xbox 360 and PS3 but now it's CPU limits with what looks to be the same engine. I have a feeling it's PS4 Pro being native 4k and they don't want to have the option for 60fps at all because of that.

Did they explain why all PvP is 4v4 yet? Or is it the same reason. Couldn't find anything in all of the info that came out yesterday.

they're using the cpu as an excuse. there is no reason this game should be 30fps considering it doesn't look any better than halo 5 and the pvp is 4v4.

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
yea I understand PVE but PVP should easily be possible (4v4!). They probably just wanted to have the same framerate in PVE and PVP. Still a bummer though -_-

Expected. Not sure why anyone was surprised. Most 60fps shooters (or games in general) on PS4 are largely linear and don't feature the kind of massive free roam environments going on in Destiny

I figured it was CPU reasons. No reason not to raise the frame rate on the Pro's if it was the GPU that was bottlenecking things.

At least there is the PC version this time for those that want better frame rates.

Shikoba

Hmmmm. I don't really get the fuss... Destiny plays really great for a 30fps game. Probably the best console shooter in terms of controller handling and how smooth the gunplay is.

spectator

Generic Bungie interview template:

Q: Will this game have ____ ?

A: We hear players who have been asking that. We totally understand and it's really important to us. We're constantly asking ourselves the question of whether we can have ____ .

Also, no.

Tagyhag

Destiny 2 being 30fps on the single player makes total sense if all they talk about in scale and scope is not bs. People have to remember that the Pro and even Scorpio are still using shitty CPU's. There's only so much you can do with them.

However, what's their excuse for Crucible? There's no reason for it to not be 60fps other than that'd be more work for them.

This topic is a drag to discuss, because people will bring other, better looking games into play and so on. Whatever, it is what it is.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
NEXT GEN inspector gadget NEXT GEN!!!

giphy.gif

I think 30FPS makes sense for everything except for the Crucible. Crucible is 4v4 and it's relatively contained. I honestly don't understand the justification for that.

Jonboy

I'm sure it'll play fine. But I'm still not convinced they couldn't do it for Crucible.

Exactly. At the very least, they should've made it 60 for PVP.

We all know 60 vs 30 isn't just about the hardware. It's a conscious choice in development. I can't speak for all Destiny players, but I would happily take less on the visual side for a locked 60fps experience.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This topic is a drag to discuss, because people will bring other, better looking games into play and so on. Whatever, it is what it is.

Kenzodielocke.jpg

but for real, who gives a shit. if the games good, the game is good. get over your FPS's people.

Kayant

Inb4 Scorpio is "Custom" X86 so problem.
I don't believe this. Solid 30 on original Destiny on Xbox 360 and PS3 but now it's CPU limits with what looks to be the same engine. I have a feeling it's PS4 Pro being native 4k and they don't want to have the option for 60fps at all because of that.
Expect those verisons had things scaled down i.e in PS3's case things like shadows took a big hit.

iMax

Could they theoretically use GPU compute to overcome this (at cost of course)?

Also I wonder if TV frame enhancing technologies could work to fill this gap in the future... On a good TV it can fill frames at about 100ms but if they can cut this down (with HDMI VRR too), could be a decent solution.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm OK with 4K/30.

Probably checker boarded implementation like Horizon or dynamic like COD: Infinite Warfare.

I 100% believe they could get to 60 with a decent amount of engineering effort, but decided to spend it on other things. Bungie's priorities :(

Top Bottom