• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Next Xbox to be named 'Xbox Fusion' according to domain names

Nibel

QJglrN8.gif
if old

Speculation about the name being called “Xbox Fusion” isn’t anything new. But what separates “Xbox Fusion” and only a few other names from the rest of the list, is that not only does Microsoft own the dot-com (WHOIS), it owns a slew of other domains like XboxFusion.info, XboxFusion.biz, XboxFusion.de, XboxFusion.co.uk – the list goes on and on.
Speculation of the next gen console’s name has gone wild, fueled lately by the recent leak on Reddit of what may be the logo.

Names being kicked around include the Xbox 720, Xbox Infinity, Xbox Infinite, Xbox Gold, Xbox 8, Xbox Durango, Xbox Next, and more.

Domain investor Andy Booth – who knows a thing or two about domains with names like samurai.com – dropped me an email out of the blue saying he believes Microsoft will go with “Xbox Fusion” based on the number of names the company has registered and that the “infinity” symbol is also interpreted as “fusion”.

In case you haven’t been keeping a score card of Microsoft’s matching domains, here’s a look:

Xbox720.com (WHOIS) – Microsoft does not own the domain.
XboxInfinity.com (WHOIS) – Microsoft does not own the domain.
Xbox8.com (WHOIS) -Microsoft does not own the domain.
XboxDurango.com (WHOIS) – Microsoft does not own the domain.
XboxInfinite.com (WHOIS) – Microsoft does not own the domain.
XboxFusion.com (WHOIS) – Microsoft owns the domain.
XboxNext.com (WHOIS) – Microsoft owns the domain.
XboxGold.com (WHOIS) – Microsoft owns the domain.

So will Microsoft go with a name it doesn’t currently own? Or with a name already in its portfolio?

We should know in late May.

Source (Fusible)

GrizzNKev

Banned
Sounds like it might be the name of their BC solution. Plugging in the new old xbox to the new new xbox to play old xbox games on your new xbox.

Madness

I think it's just to throw people for a loop. How much does it cost to buy a website domain or name? As opposed to having your product name/details revealed earlier.

Besides, the names they don't use they can always keep for the future.

luffeN

I think it's just to throw people for a loop. How much does it cost to buy a website domain or name? As opposed to having your product name/details revealed earlier.

Besides, the names they don't use they can always keep for the future.

A .com domain name costs about 20 dollars a year. A .de is a little bit cheaper.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Fusion is the most plausible of candidates so far in my mind.

Xbox Fusion.

It sounds reasonable. And it would fit with their high level message of Xbox being a place for all kinds of entertainment - 'fusing' TV, games, music, movies etc.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
this is actually really old, these domains were around 2+ years ago

Yeah, seems it is very old.

Domain Name: xboxfusion.com
Created on..............: Sun, Feb 08, 2004
Expires on..............: Sat, Feb 08, 2014
Record last updated on..: Tue, Feb 05, 2013

C4Lukins

I do not like Fusion.

Infinity sounds a little cheap in my mind.

Infinite is probably the best of the bunch, but it does not roll off the tongue. It does tell you that "This is a new XBOX," and it has "infinite" capabilities. And having seen Kinect evolve into a buzz word, Infinite is quite superior in message and ability to pronounce the word.

720 makes absolutely no sense.

XBOX 8 is less then 360, and again makes very little sense when this is actually only the third XBOX.

Durango- I do not know where that comes from, but it does not sound like a fun device. XBOX Dingo, maybe.

XBOXNEXT- Probably the second best choice. Again it states in the title that "this is a new more advanced gaming system." But I think what you really want is for people to talk about your new console with a different name then before. Nobody is going to say , yeah I am playing the next.... They will say I am playing the new XBOX which has zero ring to it unlike Infinite.

XBOX Gold- That is just silly. It is confusing on a number of levels, the first being that it is the very name of an online service they currently offer. It makes zero sense to use that.

So IMO, in order of likelihood.

1. XBOX Infinite
2. XBOX Infinity
3. XBOXNext
4. XBOX 8
5. XBOX 720
6. XBOX Fusion
7. XBOX Durango
8. XBOX Gold

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sooner or later we will find out which is the console and which of the rest are just in case domains and service/feature names.

LegoArmo

Defensive domain registering is something a lot of big companies do, with no plans to use it as a product name at all.

SSJ4 Gogeta strong
tKayTKB.png

One thing is for sure, its not gonna be called xbox 8, its gonna be integrated with windows products and wouldn't make sense once windows 9 come out in 2-3 years time.

raphier

Banned
hmm, looking at the WHOIS, they registered this website a long ago. I still think that the next name will be Xbox Trinity, Trias or Trini, basically anything to do with a triangle an a three. I even put a bet on that.

Top Bottom