• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•29-10•01•17 - Cruise spitroasted by Pennywise and Kingsman, Flatliners DOA

kswiston

The DCEU has a big enough fanbase, and enough momentum, that I think it will ultimately weather the early hiccups just fine. All of the movies made pretty big money. Wonder Woman proved that they could buck the quality concerns. As long as Justice League doesn't go back to shitting the bed, the DCEU's future will look pretty optimistic heading into 2018.

The LEGO franchise doesn't have that luxury. If The LEGO Movie sequel is significantly down over the first film, they should consider scrapping plans for more theatrical films.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Hopefully Vaughn stays the hell away from superman. Clearly in the minority here with this opinion but he would be a regression from Snyder as well

Superman could do with a fresh talent. But not that wasteman

I share your view but for a different reason.

I want Layer Cake Vaughn back. Much like I want crime film Ritchie back.

American Made bored the fuck out of me. Feel asleep. I feel like I've seen that story many times before. Was he a character in Narcos?

The LEGO Ninjago Movie really should have been delayed into 2018, it seems to have had some real production issues.

These two scenes right here?

tumblr_ol0e3i0Olf1tg7tfzo1_500.gif

tumblr_ol6i6kyMW91vnsu87o1_500.gif

NOT in the movie.

The dialogue is the same but the scenes were re-animated to be in different locations.

Considering these clips are from the last trailer that came out in July, I have no clue what happened in the last 3 months.

Toa TAK

Banned
Hopefully Vaughn stays the hell away from superman. Clearly in the minority here with this opinion but he would be a regression from Snyder as well

Hear, hear.

I don't see why so many want him.

Kingsman 2 should be enough reasons to keep him at Bay. With Bay.

ZeoVGM

Banned

You're in the minority because that's insanity.

ZeroX03

Banned
Was a bit thrown by Kingsman down at #3, but damn they're all basically the same. Need my Kingsman 3. I expect Vaughn to learn from his mistakes and give us the bigger without going too wide like Golden Circle did. Also I want my four hour cut.

American Made you'd basically just see it for two hours of Cruise charm as a pretty despicable character so good on him for pushing sales I suppose.

Also got to finally see Logan Lucky. Solid from Soderbergh - I've never seen a bad movie from the guy - but I'm a sucker for Ocean's ultra slick stylish gloss rather than the stripped back style.

Hear, hear.

I’m with all of you. Vaughn has the chops to do better, but he hasn’t yet. And keep him away from Superman. It would be like Snyder but with less flair.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I’m with all of you. Vaughn has the chops to do better, but he hasn’t yet. And keep him away from Superman. It would be like Snyder but with less flair.

Yeah, I think Kingsman 2 is a prime example of why you wouldn't want him spearheading such a big project. The whole "Whoops, the movie is almost 4 hours. I'll fix it" thing is not a good look. And he's writer/director/producer on that, he's gotta own it.

At the very least I'd say he needs a tight leash creatively.

IT continuing to do well and with Halloween coming up it should get some nice boost. Man Lego Ninjago seems like such a misfire, I wonder what happened there. Kingsman and American Made seem fine if not a little unremarkable with their numbers. Flatliners................I have no words.

So Blade Runner 2049 vs. My Little Pony Movie vs The Mountain Between Us next weekend. It would be interesting to see the age demographic for my little pony between the amount of kids seeing the movie and adult fans/bronies seeing the movie.

Yeah, I think Kingsman 2 is a prime example of why you wouldn't want him spearheading such a big project. The whole "Whoops, the movie is almost 4 hours. I'll fix it" thing is not a good look. And he's writer/director/producer on that, he's gotta own it.

At the very least I'd say he needs a tight leash creatively.
Tight leash is a good approach. He probably had that on Stardust and X-Men.

Busty

Banned
An incredible showing for IT and an unsurprising plummet for Kingsman 2. Though it seems to have fans here on GAF the WOM I hear is nothing short of toxic. I wouldn't be surprised if it's WW total struggles to do much better than the first one.

I actually enjoyed American Made but I feel like it performed as expected. This was never going to break nor be a real awards contender so if audiences like it we could see it have solid legs for the rest of the month.

snap

Banned
you know what's criminal? the fact that Detroit got pulled from theaters like two-three weeks after it opened (seriously, there hasn't been a single showing anywhere near me since two weeks after it opened) but they're still showing fucking Baby Driver near me, at multiple places, with four showings a day. Like, Baby Driver is good and all, but it hasn't charted in weeks and probably hit VOD forever ago. I didn't even get to watch Detroit because I wasn't free the two weekends it was showing.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
IT continuing to do well and with Halloween coming up it should get some nice boost. Man Lego Ninjago seems like such a misfire, I wonder what happened there. Kingsman and American Made seem fine if not a little unremarkable with their numbers. Flatliners................I have no words.

So Blade Runner 2049 vs. My Little Pony Movie vs The Mountain Between Us next weekend. It would be interesting to see the age demographic for my little pony between the amount of kids seeing the movie and adult fans/bronies seeing the movie.

bronies are still a thing in 2017? smh

snap

Banned
Man has a franchise tanked that fast? Kingsmen should have been 4 movies and a 2 season tv show

from the get-go nothing about kingsman 2 sounded good

it all sounded like they were dumping the stuff that made the first movie good in order to focus on jokes. it ended up not being that, but somehow worse for how much closer it got to being good.

Miles X

Roughly 43m before IT overtakes Spiderman: Homecoming to become 4th highest grosser so far this year.

At this point if IT does cross $350m then it's not even guaranteed Thor will beat it, meaning it'll come in 6th for the year overall!

Slayven

from the get-go nothing about kingsman 2 sounded good

it all sounded like they were dumping the stuff that made the first movie good in order to focus on jokes. it ended up not being that, but somehow worse for how much closer it got to being good.
Like they were struck stupid by the success of the first one

kswiston

Roughly 43m before IT overtakes Spiderman: Homecoming to become 4th highest grosser so far this year.

At this point if IT does cross $350m then it's not even guaranteed Thor will beat it, meaning it'll come in 6th for the year overall!

$350M is probably unlikely at this point. Deadpool made $51M after this weekend, and had some great holds going forward.

IT had a slightly bigger 4th weekend, but not by enough to make another $10M.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hopefully not as it's the only thing standing between Vaughn and Man of Steel 2.

They should get Brett Ratner for Man Of Steel 2.

kswiston

It's now looking likely that WB will have their best year ever at the domestic box office. $500M between Blade Runner and Justice League would be enough.

Vaughn only made that film because Ritchie didn't direct it. In fact he was Ritchie's producing partner originally, and if Ritchie decided to make Lawyer Cake, he would have never gotten into directing in the first place, fun fact.

Hear, hear.

Kingsman 2 is just one example. Vaughn actually says if he did Superman, he wouldn't be so mopey, I wouldn't mind him trying to tackle Supes at all, but I doubt he does. He's only in talks.

Man has a franchise tanked that fast? Kingsmen should have been 4 movies and a 2 season tv show

Kingsman 2 is doing good business overseas. The U.S. isn't the only market after all.

I'm rooting for My Little Pony simply because it's so rare to get theatrically released 2D animated movies these days.

We've been tracking early critical responses in the MLP movie OT, and they're universally positive, for what it's worth. However, Lionsgate is playing it very safe with the advertising and number of theaters, so it's hard to imagine it doing too well.

Top Bottom