• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubnbob

Banned
Don't see the big deal with the Jazz game. What's the gimmick? I already bought Terra Noctis from them... why do I want to buy that?

Well, it took forever, but I went through the entire GAF GameCenter list and added everybody. Some of the names didn't go through because I may have typed them in wrong, and I'm sure I missed a few others, so if you didn't get a request from me (donniebutts) please add me!

...now if only more of you had Bug Princess

Time to get Hero Academy I guess.

dk_

Yeah, I can see em assuming that there's only one level pack. You can find it on the level select screen

Where?

nWIC6.jpg

BZIBD.jpg

How could they not? I can't imagine how this kind of game would be playable on iOS devices (also known as iPads/iPhones/iPod Touches weeee).

Well, King of Fighters-i and Street Fighter IV Volt play fine so it's not hard to believe that Soul Calibur could have been good.

I wouldn't mind SFIV if it were universal. I thought it controlled just fine. Granted, I'm not an avid fighting game fan, but it worked on the iPod touch. I would definitely keep playing it on iPad.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I had no problem playin gamelofts soul calibur clone so i dont think the controls will be a problem for me. The price on the other hand...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I also found the controls to be garbage on gamepad. Hate trying to press (left button and right button, or top button and down button) at the same time.
Wut? I don't remember any such moves in SC... Did they add them for the iOS port or what, and why would they?!

Hell, that's pretty much 100% impossible to do with an analog stick as on DC so I'm pretty sure they weren't there...

buhdeh

Wut? I don't remember any such moves in SC... Did they add them for the iOS port or what, and why would they?!

Hell, that's pretty much 100% impossible to do with an analog stick as on DC so I'm pretty sure they weren't there...

I think he's talking about the "face" buttons.

I finally broke down and bought SpellTower. It's an amazing game. My GC username is Got the Shakes if anyone wants to add me for the leaderboards.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
But Whale Trail has only managed to make 140,000 paid downloads to date. That's a game which was heavily marketed and talked about, it popped up on a lot of blogs with "App of the day" style articles.

That's kind of my point. In my view, Mighty Fin is pitched at the right level of investment and will have made back far more of that as a percentage than Whale Trail. The Whale Trail team over invested, probably spending too much on marketing/advertising which has a low ROI, and may never break even.

Not saying a game with a much lesser budget couldn't reach 60,000, but it seems like success relies pretty heavily on pure luck and just breaking even must be very difficult.

There are definitely ways in which you can protect your downside to increase your chance of breaking even and moving into profitability. Luck plays a role, but you can stack the odds for success considerably with smart decisions, careful spending, and the right activity.

All but 2 of the 15 titles PikPok have published so far have failed to or won't break even.

The main problem developers face on the App Store (and indeed for most platforms) is the naive belief that developing a great game is the only thing that matters. The world is littered with the corpses of developers who made great games.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I really love Caverns of Minos, it's easily Minter's best since Minotaur Rescue. Has a nice difficulty curve, some hilarious pickups and enemies and perfect controls on iPad and iCade. It looks janky in screenshots (although that's on purpose) but it has a real charm in motion. I'm currently number 6 on the Novice scoreboard, come at me bros :D

Pastry

Banned
Hero Academy is easily my favorite asynchronous game for iOS, personally I enjoy it way more than Carcassone (maybe its the action).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah. Played sc games on so many platforms hard to recall any layouts. Dc has similar layout as Xbox though right?
Yeah... But what's hard about pressing two buttons together... Loads of games ask that.... Now, it can be a bit tricky compared to the arcade games where you have big ass buttons you press with fingers other than your thumb but consoles give you 4 extra shoulder buttons to map those two tricky combinations on, if you don't want to get an arcade stick.

Or you could map the shoulder buttons to the primary functions, and put combinations on the face buttons.

Or whatever else.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Is there a list anywhere of games that support iCloud? Or games that can sync data between iPhone/iPad? Hate having to stick to one device for certain games.

Fusebox

Banned
How did I get so far up that list?! Must have been due to my constant dedicated and selfless contribution to the GAF iOS community. I'm also amazingly modest.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Looks like Real Racing 2 will be 99 cents again tonight

Also, Order Up is coming out tonight...free with IAP disable ads. Hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom