• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I got the God of War Saga today... and the codes were expired

G0523

I got the God of War Saga today NEW and SEALED but the code for the prequel games expired...yesterday. I tried putting the code in today and wasn't able to redeem it. So now I don't know what to do. Should I contact Sony? Should I just buy the Origins collection?

Takao

Banned
I know the PSP games are on a voucher, but they could expire? That set's not even a year old yet ... I'd definitely call Sony.

Yeah this is really bad on Sony that they even expire in the first place. I'd definitely call them up and let 'em have it. It's not your fault.

AlexBasch

Good thing I held off on getting Saga and bought the Omega box instead. :/ Hopefully they can help you out OP. It's kinda stupid to make those expire.

test_account

XP-39C²
Anyone reason why this voucher didnt last very long? I know that they have expire dates, but it usually like at least 2 years from my experience.

Cels

yea, same thing has happened to me with a few online passes with expiration dates. just call the publisher and you should be able to sort things out. pretty stupid to have an expiration date in the first place.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone reason why this voucher didnt last very long? I know that they have expire dates, but it usually like at least 2 years from my experience.

Yeah

I bought Yakuza 3 and 4 from Newegg and the inbox codes were waaaaaaaaay passed their expiration date. but both still worked.

Was considering picking up this box sometime this summer myself. Guess I'll wait and see how this is resolved.

Why didnt they include a third disc for Origins? Bunch of cheapskates. Even EA put out three discs for the Mass Effect Trilogy. This is just repackaged God of War discs.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah

I bought Yakuza 3 and 4 from Newegg and the inbox codes were waaaaaaaaay passed their expiration date. but both still worked.

Was considering picking up this box sometime this summer myself. Guess I'll wait and see how this is resolved.
Good that they still worked :)

The latest expiring date i've seen is the online pass code for Dead Space 3 PS3, it exipires in 2022 =)

Mifune

Mehmber
I didn't even realize that the PSP remakes didn't come on a disc. A very helpful Best Buy employee let me know when I tried to buy a used copy. Really poor packaging job.

Ivan 3414

Sheesh, man. I bought GoW Saga on Black Friday but didn't open it (along with my PS3 and a ton of PS3 games). I only found out here a couple weeks ago that the codes expired yesterday, and I waited until yesterday to redeem them. My PSN plus trial expired the day before and i couldnt use it, though. Supposedly Sony really keeps to their expiration dates and won't reimburse you at all(although I redeemed my UC2 GOTY codes despite it expiring January 31). Sony really should list their expiration dates on the outside of their packaging.

Tough luck, man. I really hope this is a bad April Fool's joke. =(

test_account

XP-39C²
Why didnt they include a third disc for Origins? Bunch of cheapskates. Even EA put out three discs for the Mass Effect Trilogy. This is just repackaged God of War discs.
Yeah, it is to save money. But to be a bit fair, i think the MSRP price for God of War Saga is $39.99. That is a great price for those 5 games. In comparison, Mass Effect Trioligy has an MSRP of $59.99 if i'm not mistaken (also a good price though i think).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it is to save money. But to be a bit fair, i think the MSRP price for God of War Saga is $39.99. That is a great price for those 5 games. In comparison, Mass Effect Trioligy has an MSRP of $59.99 if i'm not mistaken (also a good price though i think).

Yeah I think that's the main reason.

If all 3 games came on discs at that price you could probably turn around and resell it used for more than you paid new

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This is a reminder for Gran Turismo 5 XL codes as well, as they just expired yesterday too. I was lucky that someone on another forum informed me that these codes were expiring too.

I heard when someone contacted sony about a dead redemption code, they had him send in the code along with a receipt of the purchase.

AlexBasch

Out of curiosity I googled about God of War Omega and just realized it's exclusive to Latin America. o_0

It's kinda useful, apart from the pretty box and the Kratos statue, it has a steelbook with the three discs. I'm not sure why it wasn't released on the states and you can find it for about $45 or so around here quite easily.

Ivan 3414

I heard when someone contacted sony about a dead redemption code, they had him send in the code along with a receipt of the purchase.

That sounds like the code hadn't reached its expiration date though. Sony asked the same thing of me when I tried to redeem my early access Sly 4 and Ratchet avatar code that came with my R&C collection(I want my money's worth, dammit), but I did that on the last day the code was good(yesterday).

Out of curiosity I googled about God of War Omega and just realized it's exclusive to Latin America. o_0

It's kinda useful, apart from the pretty box and the Kratos statue, it has a steelbook with the three discs. I'm not sure why it wasn't released on the states and you can find it for about $45 or so around here quite easily.

SCEA cheaped out I guess.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah I think that's the main reason.

If all 3 games came on discs at that price you could probably turn around and resell it used for more than you paid new
Ah yes, i didnt even think about the resell possibilities. That can also be one reason why they went with redeem codes as well, trying to stop people from reselling the disc after people have finished playing the games.

BibiMaghoo

Call them.

I had the same problem with an expired code for BFBC2. I called EA and they sorted it straight away.

If EA can do it, Sony will.

test_account

XP-39C²

SCEA cheaped out I guess.
Doesnt SCEA operate in Latin America as well? Or do they have their own division there?

My guess would be that they though Latin America was the only viable market for that release. I wish it would have been released in Europe (where i live) as well, then i would have bought it :)

All PSN codes expire. It's dumb and only harms consumers.
I wonder if the expire date variates from region to region. This is the first time i've heard that the PSN codes expire that fast. For example, i just checked my God of War: Ascension codes (european release) and they expire 31th December 2015.

GatorBait

I can't really think of a good reason why you would package 5 games together, advertise on the front of the box that the collection "Includes 5 FULL GAMES", and then have 2 of the games be nonredeemable because they are expired.

Barring the absolute stupidity of having a game that you rightfully paid for expire, I would think you have a legitimate claim for false advertising if Sony doesn't issue you new voucher codes. I don't see anywhere on the game packaging where it indicates you may in reality be paying for 3 games if 2 of them are past their expiration dates.

Estival

Saw this on twitter about a half hour ago and went to redeem my own code. It worked completely fine. I did it from the web store.
Z1O1K9u.png

Syriel

Why the hell would the code expire in a bundle like this, that is extremely stupid.

Sony *loves* to expire PSN codes. Promor, retail, it doesn't matter. They WILL expire.

Microsoft OTOH seems to have most things on a near unlimited expiration date. The only things I've ever seen expire on the MS side are promo MSP codes (retail codes do not) and limited time promo codes for stuff like themes and avatar clothes.

I just ran across a three month XBLG card from the Xbox 360 launch. According to the date it's long since expired, but tried the code and it still works.

Sora_N

Yeah, screw Sony. That's why I kept my disc-version of Origins HD to have alongside my Saga collection, and sold the DL code off.

Yeah I knew about this from an Amazon review. I wanted the two PSP games so I ordered the God of War: Origins collection instead. It's only about $20 on Amazon.

Contact Sony but chances are they're not going to give it to you. If you have the extra $20 to spare, get the Origins collection.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
And yet they're still advertising it containing all the games on the front page of playstation.com
http://us.playstation.com/ps3/systems/ps3-gow-legacy-bundle.html

Such bullshit that these things expire in the first place.

Definitely total bullshit.

Do the codes have rolling expiration dates? Like if I bought a copy that was shipped to retailers last week vs. a year ago, would the newer one work and the old one wouldn't? Or is it across the board?

Top Bottom