• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

jiIzdqj5jBLeI.png

Welcome to the Kingdom Hearts Community Thread! This thread is for Kingdom Hearts fanatics, discuss everything Kingdom Hearts related- from the story to the day KH 3 will finally be released (lol)

iihYDXQ12SJIm.png

Everyone's favorite aspect of Kingdom Hearts! The story, of course!
In Kingdom Hearts, the story plays a really big part of the overall experience. To many, it is incredibly convoluted and unnecessarily complex. To others, it's a unique story and it's actually pretty good if you manage to catch up and play all the games in the franchise. Kingdom Hearts revolves around visiting worlds from famous Disney movies, where Sora (Or Roxas, Ventus, Aqua, Terra, Riku) Meet the characters from these charming movies and cartoons, and take part in solving whatever is going on in these worlds, most of the time you'll be paired up with a major character from the world you're in.

iuhuVVUxeKAN.png

The characters in Kingdom Hearts are-

Sora- A charming boy with a very special heart, the star of Kingdom Hearts and a very skilled Keyblade wielder. This boy explores many worlds saving them one by one and makes many friends along the way.

Riku- Sora's childhood and best friend. Riku might seem like an asshole at first, but he's a pretty good character and had a major role in the latest game, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance. Also being a skilled Keyblade weilder, Riku keeps a special place in the heart of many fans and fan girls.

Kairi- Sora and Riku's friend. She is Sora's love interest and is, surprise! a Keyblade wielder! She plays a major role in the story, she comes from Radiant Garden/Hollow Bastion and has memories of her past there. Without her, this story wouldn't be as crazy.

Ventus- An energetic boy, one of the three protagonist of the game Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. Ventus has a unique way of fighting as he holds his Keyblade backwards, Ventus was Master Xehanort's apprentice until he was.. um, left in the care of Master Eraqus.

Aqua- A strong, skilled Keyblade Wielder. She passed the Mark of Mastery exam and is now a full-fledged Keyblade master. She excels in magic and is one of the three protagonist in KH: BBS. Aqua tries to keep her friends Ventus and Terra safe and sound, and is not afraid to face danger.

Terra- A very strong, skilled Keyblade Wielder. Terra failed the Mark of Mastery exam and left his homeworld shortly after that. He believes in Master Xehanort and follows him around hoping to catch up to him, unfortunately, Terra is easily exposed to the darkness inside of him and is not very good at controlling his emotions.

Roxas- Sora's nobody, an ex-member of Organization XIII and their most important one, at that. Roxas spent his days eating ice cream with his two friends, Axel and Xion, Roxas was needed to bring Sora back from his deep slumber. This character holds a special place in many hearts, including mine.

Lea/Axel- An ex-member of Organization XIII, Lea was known as Axel when he was a Nobody. Lea was very good friends with both Roxas and Xion and introduced them to the concept of Eating Seasalt Ice Cream = Friendship. Lea is also a, yup, Keyblade Wielder!

Xion- Roxas and Axel's friend. Memories of Sora where inside her and as such, she needed to die and merge with Sora for him to comeback from his deep slumber. Xion was the fourteenth member of Organization XIII, she was able to wield a Keyblade too!

King Mickey- A very, very important character in Kingdom Hearts. King Mickey was Yen Sid's apprentice and is a righteous Keyblade Master. Mickey left his Castle in Kingdom Hearts 1 in search of a way to stop Ansem and since then has become a very big part of the other character's journey.

Xehanort- The main villain in the current "Saga" (As stated by Nomura himself) of Kingdom Hearts. This man is EVERYWHERE.

iTV1FR2Do7bzG.png

The current Games in the Kingdom Hearts franchise are-

Kingdom Hearts 1
- Originally released on PS2. The 1.5 HD Remix available for PS3 includes this game's Final Mix version with High-Definition graphics.

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories- Sequel (yes) to Kingdom Hearts. Originally released on the Gameboy, this game features gameplay vastly different from the rest of the series. Nowadays the Remake version released on PS2 is now available in HD on 1.5 HD Remix.

Kingdom Hearts 2- Sequel to Chain of Memories. This game refines the gameplay from KH 1 and features new worlds and characters. The Final Mix version is available on HD in the 2.5 HD Remix collection for PS3.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days- This game takes place after Kingdom Hearts 1, but it also happens during Chain of Memories but before Kingdom Hearts 2. It expands on Organization XIII and Roxas. A "Movie" version of this game with HD cutscenes is available on the 1.5 HD Remix collection.

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep- Prequel to Kingdom Hearts 1. This game features 3 different playable characters and introduced the command deck gameplay we have seen in many Kingdom Hearts games now. The Final Mix version is available in HD on the 2.5 HD Remix collection.

Kingdom Hearts Coded/RE:Coded- Let's just go with RE:Coded. Released on the DS, kind of a pointless entry besides a few cutscenes. 2.5 HD Remix features a movie version with all cutscenes in HD.

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance- The game after KH RE:Coded. This game finally takes place after KH 2 and sets the way for KH 3 (YES!) Released for the 3DS, this game has as much content as a console PS2 game and offers new worlds, along with a playable Riku and Sora. You must play this to understand where the story is going next.

QrcgMYC.png

Music in Kingdom Hearts can go from average to simply amazing:
Simple and Clean PLANITb Remix
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns3c1yAc3iY"]Darkness of the Unknown
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELRcr-mxJ1k"]The 13th Dilemma
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Xmg_hVd48"]Another Side
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inm9TUFVDy8"]Enter the Void
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNd2DP4MB_c"]The Key
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]
Just to name a few. Share your favorite tracks from KH here, too!
i4bwiNp3iPVnI.png

I wanna play Kingdom Hearts and understand the story, wtf do I play first?!
Kingdom Hearts BBS -> Kingdom Hearts 1 -> Kingdom Hearts Chain/RE:Chain of Memories -> Kingdom Hearts 2 -> Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days -> Kingdom Hearts RE:Coded -> Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance.

NOTE: If you play the games in this order, be prepared to have a hard time adjusting to the different Battle Systems. For example, going from BBS to KH 1 on the PS2 will be a bit difficult.

I wanna play Kingdom Hearts but only the major games, wtf do I play?
Birth By Sleep, KH 1, KH 2, and DDD. Also CoM if you want to meet the rest of the Org.
and more recently, Kingdom Hearts X [Chi] because it's going fucking crazy

Which are the side story games?
CoM (To an extent)
358/2 Days
RE:Coded

-A few notes about Chain of Memories-
The most important part in the game overall is towards the end with Namine and Sora. CoM features a story called "Reverse Rebirth" that revolves around Riku and what happened to him after KH 1. CoM introduces Marluxia, Lexaeus, Zexion, Larxene, and Vexen. Play it if you want to know more about them, Riku, or why Sora was asleep at the start of KH II.

I hope KH fans enjoy this thread, I was seriously nervous while making this since it's my first major thread!
------

Kingdom Hearts 3 was recently announced, feel free to discuss anything about it in this thread. From story to gameplay, go all out.

Hey guys, about to start playing BBS for the first time, any tips?

Which are the side story, minor games?
CoM (To an extent)

Eesh, I'd say CoM you should at least watch the cutscenes on youtube. Reverse Rebirth and the organization are far too important to skip over, plot wise.

ZenaxPure

Remember for melee combat you can string together most skills and normal attacks into one combo without stopping, and, if you use magic on any character (basically Aqua) make sure to use magnet. It's fun and hilarious, possibly even broken (which is why I assume it was removed in 3D).

It's basically a game of synergy, many of the commands work well together so a lot of fun can be had throwing a bunch of skills into your deck and seeing what works and what doesn't.

Best KH title for me is still the first and yes I have played BBS. Mastering Guard made me feel pretty darn powerful.

I hope the main party of KH3 is Riku, Sora and Kairi.

Kokonoe

Banned
Besides the wings, what's so bad about the design?

Well, the wings are a part of the design so they are quite a big deal and here is why I personally think so.

1. Why does he have one wing on his back, yet, has two wings at the bottom?
2. Why does he have that weird wing on his arm that doesn't even match the other wings and is only on one arm?
3. What is the purpose of those wings on the bottom? They are in the most absolute absurd position and would not be able to flap for anything. Also! why would he have a cape there blocking the wings? Why are they infront of his legs too? they would get in the way of him running.
4. Why is his coat all torn up at the bottom when it doesn't match anything else?
5. His collar has been extended two-fold, and it's just weird. It looks like a paper plane or something.

Dereck

Well, the wings are a part of the design so they are quite a big deal and here is why I personally think so.

1. Why does he have one wing on his back, yet, has two wings at the bottom?
2. Why does he have that weird wing on his arm that doesn't even match the other wings and is only on one arm?
3. What is the purpose of those wings on the bottom? They are in the most absolute absurd position and would not be able to flap for anything. Also! why would he have a cape there blocking the wings? Why are they infront of his legs too? they would get in the way of him running.
4. Why is his coat all torn up at the bottom when it doesn't match anything else?
5. His collar has been extended two-fold, and it's just weird. It looks like a paper plane or something.
Wow, that is stupid. So, in comparison, KHII Cloud is designed much better?

635px-Cloud_KHII.png

Wazzy

Banned
I liked Clouds KH design much better than his KH II, which was basically his Advent Children outfit.

Squall's KH design is okay but the belts are a bit excessive and I prefer him having short hair. His KH2 was a bit more like his original.

They really need to start putting more FF characters in. I think there was only one new character since BBS and it was Zack.

Eesh, I'd say CoM you should at least watch the cutscenes on youtube. Reverse Rebirth and the organization are far too important to skip over, plot wise.
Is just that I think the only important part of CoM is towards the end with the Namine stuff, but then Riku's Reverse Rebirth plays a pretty big part, so that's why I decided to put CoM on all of the three lists.

With recent news of the people at S-E going above & beyond for this HD, what are your wishes KHGaf? They confirmed that the game will have DD 5.1 soundtrack so I'm happy with that. I know Okaimi Zekkeiban got a 1080p setting for it's game. Will KH have the same? Also who else has been motivated to get s PS3 because of this game? I know I am.

With recent news of the people at S-E going above & beyond for this HD, what are your wishes KHGaf? They confirmed that the game will have DD 5.1 soundtrack so I'm happy with that. I know Okaimi Zekkeiban got a 1080p setting for it's game. Will KH have the same? Also who else has been motivated to get s PS3 because of this game? I know I am.

I haven't really been following the Remix as the only game I would replay is KH 1, not RE:Chain. Also, I don't have a PS3 and probably won't get one but I'm happy that Square is making a really good effort with the HD Collection.

Dereck

Maybe if II was included. I already have a PS3, though.

RyoonZ

Banned
I first know KH from magazine covering TGS 2005. When I saw a screenshot with Donald in it, I thought "WTF, Donald in RPG??? I'm gonna play this game!" I absolutely love the game. I remember playthrough the game when I took a week off school because I was sick. I only played KH2, BBS and 3D though. Looking forward to KH 1.5 HD ReMix, hope it'll be localized. My favorite character is Roxas.

I first know KH from magazine covering TGS 2005. When I saw a screenshot with Donald in it, I thought "WTF, Donald in RPG??? I'm gonna play this game!" I absolutely love the game. I remember playthrough the game when I took a week off school because I was sick. I only played KH2, BBS and 3D though. Looking forward to KH 1.5 HD ReMix, hope it'll be localized. My favorite character is Roxas.

*Brofist*
Roxas forever!

hank_tree

I wouldn't recommend playing BBS first. I think release order is fine. It would be a bit tough to go back to KH1 after BBS combat system I think.

right here!

Love the series, but only played KH1 and 2 as I dont game on the go.

Been waiting for ANY new KH since I got my PS3. An HD remake is a good start for me.

Narolf

Banned
Not seeing OT in the title. Do you have moderator support to back you, OP? You should probably have made the thread on the Gaming side in order to build up an user-base before asking a mod to move it here a few weeks after. That's how I rolled for the FF Community thread.

Top Bottom