• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS reserves start December 26th.

wwm0nkey

Ok well I got the OK to tell people about this from my work, but we officially got word in that all US based Game Stop stores will be taking reserves on the 3DS starting on the 26th. Depending on the place holder price you will be required to drop a minimum of $25 on a reserve.

This is a personal guess but since we need a estimated time of release I would assume Nintendo is about to officially reveal the price and release day anytime from the 25th to January 1st.

UPDATE: The reserves DID infact start today! if your GS can't find it in their system the SKU is 020132

Firestorm

wwm0nkey said:
Ok well I got the OK to tell people about this from my work, but we officially got word in that all US based Game Stop stores will be taking reserves on the 3DS starting on the 26th. Depending on the place holder price you will be required to drop a minimum of $25 on a reserve.

This is a personal guess but since we need a estimated time of release I would assume Nintendo is about to officially reveal the price and release day anytime from the 25th to January 1st.
Or they'll use a placeholder date like Canadian EB Games for March 20th? The estimated time of release is March 2011.

squicken said:
lol day after Christmas at Gamestop is like Armageddon. Why would it be that day to add to the carnage?
It's a way of having a Boxing Day promotion / sale without actually holding a promotion / sale. Genius actually.

wwm0nkey

squicken said:
lol day after Christmas at Gamestop is like Armageddon. Why would it be that day to add to the carnage?
I have to wait outside my sisters gamestop to reserve my 3DS and hers....she is paying me though so :D

Keyser Soze said:
It's fine, I will walk into a store day of release and pick one of a shelf, everything will be fine...
I've learned that if you want a console at launch, its usually best to preorder. Games you can almost always walk into the store and get on day 1, but consoles are a little harder to come by. As much as I don't like giving Gamestop an interest free loan, I remember camping outside Target overnight to get a Wii at launch.

Keyser Soze said:
It's fine, I will walk into a store day of release and pick one of a shelf, everything will be fine...

Lol, I have a feeling this is pretty much how its going to go.

To Far Away Times said:
I've learned that if you want a console at launch, its usually best to preorder. Games you can almost always walk into the store and get on day 1, but consoles are a little harder to come by. As much as I don't like giving Gamestop an interest free loan, I remember camping outside Target overnight to get a Wii at launch.

Think he was being a tad sarcastic, but really its going to cost quite a bit and what with recession shit still ongoing I don't think they will be flying off the shelves, could be wrong but I don't feel worried about not preordering in the slightest.

wwm0nkey

Router said:
I preordered my like a day after it was announced.
From where? You where not allowed to at GameStop or any major retailer after it was announced, retailers NEED estimated release dates before they can take reserves on hardware.

Thank you for reminding me. Put in my preorder right now. Gotta love living in Europe for these kind of things. All stores basically put up preorders as soon as something is announced. Black 3DS for me.

Never had to camp out for anything. Not even a wii.

But good luck to all of you who have to fight a little for it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why are retailers in the states required to wait? EB and JB here in Australia have been taking preorders since it was announced.

duckroll

EatChildren said:
Why are retailers in the states required to wait? EB and JB here in Australia have been taking preorders since it was announced.

Is that just a "put your name and number on a list" sort of preorder? Or is it a preorder where you put down money?

EatChildren said:

Did they require deposits to preorder?

When a retailer wants money for a preorder they usually wait till its closer to the launch before putting them up, as far as I know you can't preorder the 3DS in the Uk yet from any of the major stores.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
duckroll said:
Is that just a "put your name and number on a list" sort of preorder? Or is it a preorder where you put down money?

Money as far as I'm aware. EB have placeholder prices up on the website.

EDIT: Yep, just checked. You can even pre-order online at EB Games here, and need to put down at least a $50 deposit.

EatChildren said:
Money as far as I'm aware. EB have placeholder prices up on the website.

EDIT: Yep, just checked. You can even pre-order online at EB Games here, and need to put down at least a $50 deposit.

See thats what I was thinking, I wouldn't personally want to put down $50 upto 6 months before something is released, maybe 2 months before launch but 6 is ridiculous.

Firestorm

kyo_daikun said:
See thats what I was thinking, I wouldn't personally want to put down $50 upto 6 months before something is released, maybe 2 months before launch but 6 is ridiculous.
I have like $200 in credit just sitting here. I would pre-order if EB Canada took online pre-orders =[ Stupid ancient computer system they use isn't even linked to other stores. Systems aren't usually easy to find on launch.

wwm0nkey

Well since there is bound to be 50% trade-in specials a month or two before launch if you put it to the 3DS, anyone else trading their DS in since the 3DS will play all of the games anyways? (I wonder if the old DS games will work in 3D?)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
DS Lite is the best GBA player I know, so no. Did I have a DSi, I'd probably do it.

wwm0nkey

FleckSplat said:
Does Amazon usually come through when preordering launch hardware?
Yes they are pretty good and you are guaranteed a copy. GameStop, if they dont have enough units they go by who reserved it first (which is why im reserving mine as soon as possible)

Spwn

One webstore in Finland has preorders up for 260€, which is probably the price the 3DS will be sold around here even if it'll be 250€ everywhere else. If I'm going to preorder then it'll be probably from AmazonUK.

EatChildren

VOOK said:
There will be on Feb 26.

Here's what you can do Vook.

Here's what you can do.

You can go to Japan.

And you can buy me a goddamn 3DS.

Just think about how happy that will make you.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I am going to Japan to buy one, I'm not waiting a couple of days for the postage.

I was going to go for the Jan 6 event, but can't afford it then. :(

EatChildren

VOOK said:
I am going to Japan to buy one, I'm not waiting a couple of days for the postage.

I was going to go for the Jan 6 event, but can't afford it then. :(

Yeah well I'm going to Nintendo, and I'm going to sleep my way to a 3DS, and we're going to have the Australian exclusive 3DS reviews and YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BE INVITED.

I manage a game store so I'm not worried about getting a 3ds day 1 (or 3 days early heh heh), but I laugh at those that say they will wait and walk in and buy one without a preorder.

Obviously you people have not much experience with Nintendo system launches or you live in a small town where selling out isn't much of a worry. If I were you, I would be putting my money down, if day 1 is your thing.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
wwm0nkey said:
From where? You where not allowed to at GameStop or any major retailer after it was announced, retailers NEED estimated release dates before they can take reserves on hardware.

Sorry, should have mentioned I'm in Australia.

rhino4evr

The day after Christmas? Fuck that noise.

Iirc, Gamestop didn't start preorders until the final date and price was announced...they also waiting until they knew how many systems their store would he allocated. I remember i was 22 out of 23 possible pre orders at my store.

wwm0nkey

Grimm Fandango said:
I'm betting this thing will be sold out within the first week.
Pretty much, thats why I am reserving mine asap, after i tried it at E3 I have been dying to actually own one.

DoomGyver

runnin_blue said:
I manage a game store so I'm not worried about getting a 3ds day 1 (or 3 days early heh heh), but I laugh at those that say they will wait and walk in and buy one without a preorder.

Obviously you people have not much experience with Nintendo system launches or you live in a small town where selling out isn't much of a worry. If I were you, I would be putting my money down, if day 1 is your thing.
But we laugh at you mr game store manager sir!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Urban Scholar said:
Will drop $200 asap.

Then you'll probably be waiting a year for a price drop.

Also, I thought Nintendo was announcing the price in January. This wouldn't make much sense.

We need the region locking thing confirmed one way or another ASAP. 99% likely to be region locked, but knowing will make the decision to keep my Japanese preorder or wait for the UK release a lot easier.

Top Bottom