• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limbo of the Lost stole from Oblivion, Morrowind, UT2K4, Diablo, Silent Hill, more?

This one is sure to cause quite a stir.

This one could turn into quite a bit of trouble, but Majestic Studios title Limbo of the Lost has been reviewed by gaming site GamePlasma, and they claim that it has stolen some of the level design structures from The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

Eric, being the avid PC gamer that he is, noticed that there were some similarities between Limbo of the Lost and The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

The first example of this can be seen in the screenshots from Oblivion and Limbo of the Lost below. Notice how everything is placed in exactly the same place and almost all of the textures are identical. In fact, the only real difference is the quality of the texture and overall graphical look. Even the portrait that can be seen under the stairs is exactly the same as the one that can be found in Oblivion. Also, take note of the placement of the rug in the middle of the floor and the placement of the stairways. These similarities lead to many questions. How rampant are situations like this in games that fall under the radar of the typical gaming crowd?

Check these screenshots -
0002432.jpg

0002433.jpg

JBuccCP

Wow that's so pathetically obvious. I have no idea what Limbo of the Lost is, looks like a point and click adventure game? How lazy and cheap.

They even reused the picture of the vampire king dude:lol

FabCam

Can you sue for copying an environment? Surely you can't patent the position of bookcases in stone walls...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
FabCam said:
Can you sue for copying an environment? Surely you can't patent the position of bookcases in stone walls...
yes, the wireframes and textures are all covered under copyright laws given that they are art assets.

haowan

borghe said:
yes, the wireframes and textures are all covered under copyright laws given that they are art assets.

Unless they decompiled the data and ripped the actual content, then copyright doesn't apply here. Other forms of IP rights must have been violated, but copyright is doubtful.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
haowan said:
Unless they decompiled the data and ripped the actual content, then copyright doesn't apply here. Other forms of IP rights must have been violated, but copyright is doubtful.
are you implying that ISN'T what they did? Because poly for poly (and vampire king texture for vampire king texture) it appears that's EXACTLY what they did.

JRPereira

If you overlay the screenshots in photoshop and scale the oblivion one down to roughly meet the size, the only difference is the FOV.

No room for any "we were inspired by..." bullshit. A couple of things were changed like the rug was scaled down and the fire looks shitty, but everything else is pretty much perfect clones.

Vorador

Banned
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

It's not a simply case of being "inspired" by Oblivion, it's assets from the former being completely ripped off and put in the latter. OMG I'm currently :lol right now.

PD: The fire looks different, but that must be because of the shitty engine they're using. The assets are the same :lol

haowan

borghe said:
are you implying that ISN'T what they did? Because poly for poly (and vampire king texture for vampire king texture) it appears that's EXACTLY what they did.

Yes, you're right; I take it back. I expect they used one of those apps that grabs whatever data DirectX is rendering.

raYne

Pizza Luigi said:
I honestly peed myself watching those trailers
They really make you want to play the game, don't they? I'm pretty sure I recognized a few of the environments from Oblivion in those as well.

Vark said:
You know what you must do. Call the Steve phone, asap!

edit:
Wow@ the new pics! :lol

neight

Banned
Wow that is a rip of the environments except with some of the textures getting touched up.
cjelly said:
Every day you create threads linking to your site.
At least he doesn't make us click the link to get to the meat of the article.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Hey it looks almost as good as Oblivion, this is good news, right?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Seeing the first shot I thought "well, someone got lazy, not the end of the world"

then I saw the rest

:lol :lol :lol

They didn't even reorganise the things on the shelves in the shop!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Someone forward this to Bethesda.

I wanna see if they mention it on their blog. :lol

Edit: Nevermind, I've done the honours. Now to see if they post it...

burgerdog

At first I was going to say, one little area is not too bad. Then I scrolled down and saw the rest, what the fuck were they thinking?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Another great part of this debacle... from the "Just Adventure" review:

"Every game has an interesting story behind its development but I am willing to bet that very few, if any, match the one behind Limbo of the Lost (LotL). Development started way back in the 90s, originally for the Amiga 1200, then for the CD32 and eventually crossed over to the PC. Being an avid adventurer as well as devoted Amiga user in the 90s, it is in utter embarrassment that I admit that I never caught wind of this game back then and it was only a few years ago, during its PC development, that I found out about it."

He was obviously waiting for Bethesda to get done with Oblivion. I wonder if the guy saw their first Terminator game for the PC and said "Hmm, looks good, but not good enough for me". Then Future Shock, Elder Scrolls Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, then finally Oblivion. "Eureka! I can finally finish my Amiga masterpiece!"

http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/LimboOfTheLost/LotL.shtm

Top Bottom