• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Izuna

Banned
I agree. Having that title will do the game zero good in the eyes of Respawn or EA. They understand the situation but to throw it in their face again for as long as OT2 lives is a bit childish.

In a sense, I feel like we already understand the reference enough. I made graphic for both so I'll just flip a coin.

SwolBro

Banned
I agree. Having that title will do the game zero good in the eyes of Respawn or EA. They understand the situation but to throw it in their face again for as long as OT2 lives is a bit childish.
I doubt anyone would consider it disrespectful to Respawn. It's a dig at EA and rightfully so. Plus, it will get eyeballs. We need eyeballs. Grow this community out with a rebellious attitude!

I doubt anyone would consider it disrespectful to Respawn. It's a dig at EA and rightfully so. Plus, it will get eyeballs. We need eyeballs. Grow this community out with a rebellious attitude!

Controversy creates cash. We need to put butts in those seats.

JdsmgxJ.gif

Izuna

Banned
Story Time Before OT2!

I've been reading my past arguments with Son of Sam and I really wish he was still here. It's a shame he got perma'd (was he a junior at that time?) Because basically, everything he said about Attrition in R1 became true in R2. It's bizarre.

Specifically, Parkour is not very important in Attrition (in R2). It's really just fine to camp with a Hemlock etc. until you get a Titan, which is where the vast majority of points come from.

The Arc Cannon vs. 40mm stuff was stupid... but I really wonder what he'd say about Tone.

Throwback YouTube video: Titanfall - Enhanced Parkour Kit is Terrible by FrothyOmen. I wish I he made a similar video about how stupid Hover is.

~~

In the exchange, though, it's interesting to see how naive I was. That movement was just as easy on console as it was on PC. This was before I knew what air strafing was. To this day I can't bunny-hopping properly in R1. In R2 however, it becomes true. Slide-hopping trivialises any difficulty in bunny-hopping outside of being inaccessible for people who don't Claw or have an Elite Controller. I know people will say they bunny-hop fine on other control settings, but there's trade-offs there (no jump and melee etc.)

Regardless, it's a shame because it all snowballed from this:

Let's not forget how this started though. You said how reaching D5 was easier in Attrition than in CTF.

This is a perfect example of what happens when two people would constantly move goal posts in their argument for the sake of finding an easier way to be correct. I'm proud that even after all the heated arguments we have had in this OT, that has never happened.

That being said, I want to go back and apologise for something. Son of Sam claimed:

My gripe is with Attrition being the mode pushed to the forefront of the game when it's the least one other modes do a better job highlighting what's great about the game.

I loved Attrition in R1, but goddamn if this doesn't ring true for R2. Bounty Hunt used to rival Attrition numbers until they moved it away from being the first thing to click. Why would they make Angel City 24/7 the first option? People can fully understand what that is, and people are definitely going to either pick that or Attrition. If Bounty Hunt was supposed to be the evolution of the default game mode, they should have kept it on the top left.

Though I'd imagine, Son of Sam would likely prefer this version of Attrition.

But let's not forget what started the real problem...

I don't use 40mm. Period. I've never once encountered a 40mm canon in a regular match (i don't play LTS) that worried me. I have been worried about someone using the arc cannon EFFECTIVELY.

Cue the most bullshit that's ever been said with regard to Titanfall.

I want to give a big high five to Pegasus Actual for being the smartest person in that discussion and didn't care about picking any sides. I was a moron back then, but I happened to be on the correct side. I appreciate that.

But regardless, let's remind ourselves of when the vast majority of the Titanfall community were thrown shade:

Attrition is such a shit mode and the people that play it are shit. Hard point is good, but CTF is the best mode ;)

-----

TheChits

It lets you:

Escape with a battery without effort;
Escape arc grenade hits;
Escape gravity stars;
Escape grapples;
Escape any sort of surprise attacks;
Escape nuclear ejects;
Get across a street or Homestead without being shot at;

etc.

It does everything basically.

I hadn't ever considered this. Phase Shift sounds like it could be fun. Hmmmmm

Izuna

Banned
I hadn't ever considered this. Phase Shift sounds like it could be fun. Hmmmmm

It's the best. I think if you're coming from Stim, you might miss the speed boost, but apart from getting from A to B quicker, all the escape abilities of Stim are much better with Phase Shift.

I definitely recommend shooting an Archer Rocket at a Titan's face then Phase Shifting away lol. It's hilarious.

also

---

Will look into Vanessa.

Also, I want an Angel City 24/7 playlist - that map is so gooooood! Can play it all day.

lol Trance, you've been asking for this for a long ass time...

Hello fellow gaffers!
Glad to say I've finally jumped in and got this game for PS4 (after all the praise here and I enjoyed the beta *shrug*)

I remember networks being a part of the beta so can anyone tell me if we have a Gaf network for me to join up with some of ya'll?

Also please tell me which Titans people have gravitated towards in MP? (I enjoyed the laser Titan in the beta a lot).
I want to get into multiplayer first before campaign.

Cheers all!

KodaRuss

OléGunner;226515255 said:
Hello fellow gaffers!
Glad to say I've finally jumped in and got this game for PS4 (after all the praise here and I enjoyed the beta *shrug*)

I remember networks being a part of the beta so can anyone tell me if we have a Gaf network for me to join up with some of ya'll?

Also please tell me which Titans people have gravitated towards in MP? (I enjoyed the laser Titan in the beta a lot).
I want to get into multiplayer first before campaign.

Cheers all!

There is a NeoGaf Network that we are using on PS4 right now. I think you just need to search for it. The tag is just GAF but search for NeoGaf and it should come up. I believe RedFury is the leader?

The Titan you are referring to is Ion and he is very good except against Ronin 1v1. Other than that he is one of the best Titans right now. All of the Titans have their uses and one of them kinda needs some sort of buff imo (Northstar) but Ion is a great choice. Learn to use his shield effectively and you should be good to go against almost any foe.

Tone is the best Titan right now though, if you want to learn the game quickly and not get too frustrated in your Titan use her. However, Ion is the best counter against her so you will be ahead of the game if you learn Ion.

I would recommend playing the story first though. It gives you a chance to try out the Titan loadouts and it is pretty short and incredibly sweet. Play it on Hard as well if you have any experience with shooters

There is a NeoGaf Network that we are using on PS4 right now. I think you just need to search for it. The tag is just GAF but search for NeoGaf and it should come up. I believe RedFury is the leader?

The Titan you are referring to is Ion and he is very good except against Ronin 1v1. Other than that he is one of the best Titans right now. All of the Titans have their uses and one of them kinda needs some sort of buff imo (Northstar) but Ion is a great choice. Learn to use his shield effectively and you should be good to go against almost any foe.

Tone is the best Titan right now though, if you want to learn the game quickly and not get too frustrated in your Titan use her. However, Ion is the best counter against her so you will be ahead of the game if you learn Ion.

I would recommend playing the story first though. It gives you a chance to try out the Titan loadouts and it is pretty short and incredibly sweet. Play it on Hard as well if you have any experience with shooters

Ahhh thanks for the info brother!
I'll probably rock Ion and Tone to get started with.

It's tough for me to play campaign first because I've been reaaally itching for TF2's MP since the beta and having my fill of BF1 haha.

But I'll give it a shot tonight after a couple games and hope it grabs me.

Edit:
Would it be too much for me to ask what gun and perk loadouts you enjoy?
I like auto rifles (can't remember the simple but good one in TF2 beta) and the stim/grapple hook were useful.

Not sure what other options are available for the full game.

Izuna

Banned

This is something I hope to address.

The network is supposed to be TitanGAF (that's the one on PC and Xbox), but no one on PS4 decided so you've ended up with a Network that, through reports, has a bunch of people that know nothing about GAF.

Anyway ~~

E92 M3

Wg8MRF4.png

This is gunna be so fun to do.

--

If you guys would prefer a Gamertag/PSN_ID/Origin_ID instead of your GAF name, just let me know.

I have a lot of lovely clips here. I recorded too many for myself though ;(

Do you want a clip from the tech test lol?

It's the best. I think if you're coming from Stim, you might miss the speed boost, but apart from getting from A to B quicker, all the escape abilities of Stim are much better with Phase Shift.

I definitely recommend shooting an Archer Rocket at a Titan's face then Phase Shifting away lol. It's hilarious.

also

---

lol Trance, you've been asking for this for a long ass time...

Oh yeah, but hardpoint really kills my mood lol.

KodaRuss

OléGunner;226516597 said:
Ahhh thanks for the info brother!
I'll probably rock Ion and Tone to get started with.

It's tough for me to play campaign first because I've been reaaally itching for TF2's MP since the beta and having my fill of BF1 haha.

But I'll give it a shot tonight after a couple games and hope it grabs me.

Edit:
Would it be too much for me to ask what gun and perk loadouts you enjoy?
I like auto rifles (can't remember the simple but good one in TF2 beta) and the stim/grapple hook were useful.

Not sure what other options are available for the full game.

There are a ton of useful guns out there and I guess I would recommend the R201 to start out with. The CAR is also a great choice. Break your habit of ADSing every time you shoot, that would be my biggest piece of advice.

Anything that is somewhat close can be killed faster without ADS especially with the sub-machine guns but the assault weapons as well.

All of the kits have their uses, I think grapple is a good way to start until you get the hang of the movement because it helps you get higher up quickly. Ultimately though Phase Shift is probably the best as it is an "Oh Shit" button and can help you get out of a lot of bad situations. Cloak and Stim are useful as well. The others take some practice or a particular play style to be effective (I use Holo Pilot all the time and love it though).

For boosts (again there are many that are good) Amped Weapons is a great place to start. You should win every 1v1 firefight with it on and you can do immense damage to Titans with your Titan weapon with it up. Battery Backup is also a big one. Pilot sentry is currently way overpowered and a great way to get free kills as well.

KodaRuss

This is something I hope to address.

The network is supposed to be TitanGAF (that's the one on PC and Xbox), but no one on PS4 decided so you've ended up with a Network that, through reports, has a bunch of people that know nothing about GAF.

Anyway ~~

It is a lost cause on PS4. TitanGaf averages 1-2 people on it during most times of the day while NeoGaf has around 9-12.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE OT2

There are a ton of useful guns out there and I guess I would recommend the R201 to start out with. The CAR is also a great choice. Break your habit of ADSing every time you shoot, that would be my biggest piece of advice.

Anything that is somewhat close can be killed faster without ADS especially with the sub-machine guns but the assault weapons as well.

All of the kits have their uses, I think grapple is a good way to start until you get the hang of the movement because it helps you get higher up quickly. Ultimately though Phase Shift is probably the best as it is an "Oh Shit" button and can help you get out of a lot of bad situations. Cloak and Stim are useful as well. The others take some practice or a particular play style to be effective (I use Holo Pilot all the time and love it though).

For boosts (again there are many that are good) Amped Weapons is a great place to start. You should win every 1v1 firefight with it on and you can do immense damage to Titans with your Titan weapon with it up. Battery Backup is also a big one. Pilot sentry is currently way overpowered and a great way to get free kills as well.

Don't teach them bad habits!

KodaRuss

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE OT2

Don't teach them bad habits!

They are ridiculous. I got killed by one on Eden last night that was placed on the railway when I was entering the bank from the far side of the map. Insane accuracy and range.

I saved the video Ill have to upload it later. I was messing with one yesterday on Crash Site as well to see how fast it would pick me up after turning a corner and it was borderline instantaneous.

I punch every one I see.

ironcreed

Banned
I am finally going to try some different titans now that I have got Tone through the first generation. I sure don't feel like I have some advantage anyway. I will probably go Northstar or Ronin.

EL CUCO

We're gonna get stuck with another crappy title aren't we? 😣

It better be on gaming side or I'm not posting in it. kappa

Rawk Hawk

It is a lost cause on PS4. TitanGaf averages 1-2 people on it during most times of the day while NeoGaf has around 9-12.

I didn't even know there was another one.. I have a bad habit of browsing GAF sparingly, but joining the groups for online play, happen to see NeoGaf on the browse list and just jumped in. I'll add TitanGaf tonight, although I don't play every night so I won't be bumping the average up unfortunately.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
You are right, they are hard to read. Need to zoom in a ton to see them.

Yeah. They become clear after making them huge but after a few random code tries all being used already I gave up

Ran into someone trying to Vortex relay probably over a month ago now. They were kind of trash at it, but when I realized what they were attempting we pretty much did nothing but that for like the next four hours.

The LTS best of 7 to best of 5 change kind of killed my will to play this game over Siege. If you win 3-2 or lose 3-2, it just feels hollow.

SwolBro

Banned
The Arc Cannon vs. 40mm stuff was stupid... but I really wonder what he'd say about Tone.
This all depends on timing of the argument. The 40 wasn't meta until way later when everyone got really good at it. So saying there wasn't a 40 player out there capable of competing isn't totally off base.

And by the end of Titanfall 1's run (which just ended in Oct) Arc cannon was the best titan weapon and by far the most OP gun in the game .
In the last 2 LTS tournaments with arguably the best players in LTS an Arc Cannon ogre and a Plasma Railgun stryder were the game changers. 1v1 match ups usually saw an arc cannon player win against some of the best 40s in all of Titanfall, ever. (console speak)

• The fact that you could blow up a cluster midair right next to a particle wall with an arc cannon doing insane splash damage
  • The fact that you could hit grunts scattered around the maps that connected to nearby enemies lowering their shields even without seeing them
  • The fact that you could headglitch with an arc cannon and hit an opponents shoulder to do damage and reduce shields
the list goes on. a 40 player had to have not only INSANE aim, but mobility skills, vortex skills, and all around genius level play to compete with the best arc cannon players.

And in CTF arc cannon players were the anchors. they sat back, inflicting hell on both pilots and titans from afar. So much so that a main focal point was to take out the arc cannon player as soon as possible. Why else would there only be allowed 1 arc cannon carrying player for each team? Hell, pub LTS matches saw an entire team switch to Arc cannons soon as they started losing. In Pub CTF good players would shun other good players that ran arc cannons, it was a sign of disrespect amongst the community to run it in a pub match. So?
The LTS best of 7 to best of 5 change kind of killed my will to play this game over Siege. If you win 3-2 or lose 3-2, it just feels hollow.

Agreed. Stupid stupid change.

deoee

Ran into someone trying to Vortex relay probably over a month ago now. They were kind of trash at it, but when I realized what they were attempting we pretty much did nothing but that for like the next four hours.

Yeah, was there any comment on this change?
It seemed out of the blue

SwolBro

Banned
Yep
I feel the match ends as soon as you get into a groove. Theres no longer a period where teams are figuring out or changing up strategies.

yup, it's a bewildering change. was there ever an explanation or was this something else they changed for the PC community?

Top Bottom