• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

Karak

I would pay 900$ day 1, if Shenmue 3 was even announced for it.

If I led MS. I would do it even if the game didn't sell super well. Not only because I myself would like to see it. But it simply has to be one of the highest requests sequels I have ever seen out of Sega's stable.

they should bring back stuff like Azurik, make it a GodOW clone. bring back Conker, Shadowrun, Blinx... MOTOCROSS MADNESS!!!

explore your IPs, MS, there's decent stuff there.

I sort of believe the "Xbox 8" naming rumours, if this is true.

8 cores
8 gigs RAM
8800 GPU
Talks to Windows 8
Etc

And turn an "8" on its side and you get...Infinity!

Which ties nicely in with 360.

Not that the HDD is a very expensive component.

On the contrary, over time mechanical HDDs are one of the most expensive components. Capacity increases over time but the initial price of the drive is always high when compared to the chips in the console.

xbox-logo.jpg

The new logo is quite nice.
It's not really new; it's the same logo, just flatter.

Karak

they should bring back stuff like Azurik, make it a GodOW clone. bring back Conker, Shadowrun, Blinx... MOTOCROSS MADNESS!!!

explore your IPs, MS, there's decent stuff there.

A coworker was just telling me that Motorcross Madness would be his IP that would cause him to buy any system(MS though of course). And ya. An old style motocross madness would be all kinds of insane.

MS does indeed have a lot of IP's they are sitting on with interesting possibilities. Even Kameo.

kyo27

How likely do we think these specs are? Ill be honest this sounds even better than I was imagining

I wouldn't be surprised if they are true. It is impossible to prevent leaks when it comes to tech nowadays. I mean look at apple, every single one of their new products is leaked.

muu

So is Sony still going to wait till 2014, perhaps tout 4K support as their 'big thing?' One of the big things that went for HD gaming this gen was that the student/young professional group had widescreen monitors that could be used in place of the super-expensive (At the time) HDTVs. Considering even the highest-end sets don't go beyond 2560x1600, if they go this route they're truly going to be selling to a niche crowd.

Even if we can afford it easily, a lower price means a faster growth of the install base, which in turn means earlier developer investment. Remember the first year of the PS3?

Which is probably why we'll see subsidized pricing in some shape or form. There's no way a base model price of $399 is going to fly with the average consumer.

Karak

I wouldn't be surprised if they are true. It is impossible to prevent leaks when it comes to tech nowadays. I mean look at apple, every single one of their new products is leaked.

And some of these were...expected.

No worries, it's just that 300MB would be a pretty big piece of silicon to dedicate. :p

According dkanter's article here, http://www.realworldtech.com/iedm-2010/3/, the 32nm eDRAM arrays are >11Mbit/mm^2 (density). Things may differ depending on performance target for the eDRAM & signalling or other design issues (e.g. Power 7 eDRAM arrays are quite spread out). Things may have changed since then, of course (process improvements & iterations). Power7+ die might be useful to compare there, but again, things will differ between how they'd design it as an L3 for P7+ vs a GPU or other (who knows).

If I am not wrong the WiiU has 32Mb of eDRAM.

Any rumours that online gaming might not be behind a pay wall this time for MS? That's one thing that always annoyed me. I never bought XBL Gold because of it.

KageMaru

Interesting thread. I don't think any part of the system will strictly be "off the shelf". We've seen a few people mention the GPU will be custom, but I also have my doubts the Jaguar cores will be stock as well.

Next few months should be fun...

$100 Wi-Fi and a $50 VGA cable, it was a pretty costly system for me despite the advertised price.

If you're going to be an ignorant troll, you can at least hide it better.

If I led MS. I would do it even if the game didn't sell super well. Not only because I myself would like to see it. But it simply has to be one of the highest requests sequels I have ever seen out of Sega's stable.

No shit. I've fantasized about (momentarily, let's keep it real) about finding like some super cure for some shit, or patenting some stuff that would land me billions and first thing I would do is buy Sega and get the whole company not only working on Shenmu 3, but remaking 1 and 2 and develop all the sequels I was promised.

I would have like a 2 thousand man team of the highest quality. Who gives a shit about planes, and billion dollar mansions, when you could have that?!

Bgamer90

Banned
Gears of War 5 as a launch title would be amazing!

...I'm kidding, Gears of War is boring as fuck to me. :3

I love Gears but having a new one as a launch title would be too much, especially with Judgement coming in a few months. Needs a break.

They need to take their time to give us a full next gen sequel.

::rubs hands::

:)

derFeef

A coworker was just telling me that Motorcross Madness would be his IP that would cause him to buy any system(MS though of course). And ya. An old style motocross madness would be all kinds of insane.

MS does indeed have a lot of IP's they are sitting on with interesting possibilities. Even Kameo.

Well, where is this Avatar Motocross Madness?
I loved MM too, I loved ALL Madness games.

Karak

I would love The Samaritan as a launch title. Is it possible?

Launch. Not if launch is in the rumored September(depending on yield) November timeframe.

what does 8gig really mean? fancier OS, more onscreen eye candy, higher res ads?

More than anything. Room for MS to be flexible in the future. Small extra bit of memory, reserve it NOW despite the system perhaps not needing it and then have future flexibility.

A 88xx GPU would account for no less than 3+ Tflops performance wise, certainly more than enough to give a proper next gen leap for the system. This is definitely a good news so far.

Sorry, I was more specifically talking about the RROD stuff.
I dunno, the 7850 is ~1.7Tflops. I don't see why the 88xx would have to be 3+.

kyo27

I really hope that Microsoft has an event prior to E3 to Unveil the new Xbox like they did with the 360. I think they had the MTV special a month before E3 back in 2005.

Nachtmaer

We've seen a few people mention the GPU will be custom, but I also have my doubts the Jaguar cores will be stock as well.

If they're going with 8 Jaguar cores, wouldn't that already make it custom (since a Jaguar CU goes up to 4 cores)? Perhaps that's just nitpicking.

The big question for me still remains what they'll be doing with the RAM.

Krowley

Specs sound very nice from what I can understand, but if they're forced to launch with a base price of 400 bucks, they will suffer for it. Getting a good launch price should be a higher priority than decking out the specs to maximum.

If they can get it down to 300 or 350 this will be fine, and that may be easy to do (I'm not that familiar with the specifics of hardware prices at the moment). But it should not be 400.

Respawn

Banned
lol 8800 graphics? That's pretty awful. I mean I had a 8800GTX and it was a good card for when I bought it (years ago). But it would never be able to run games at a high level.

Also is that BD guy telling the leaker that he's reporting him to MS?

Please don't post if you do not understand what you're reading. Really dude? 8800gtx?

I'm sure the Sony Ninjas are here looking at this.

Karak

I really hope that Microsoft has an event prior to E3 to Unveil the new Xbox like they did with the 360. I think they had the MTV special a month before E3 back in 2005.

My source. Who has been right for announcements and timing and leaks more than anything else. Stated that we WOULD for sure see something prior E3. Including the leaks begining pre-during-post CES.
By now, when it comes to those kinds of things, I pretty much believe him. MS doesn't want to share any space on a system release.

Bgamer90

Banned

Yep. I believe it was in May of 2005.

This time around they could probably stream a pre-E3 reveal on the Xbox 360 via the Live Event app.

It was only a few days before E3 IIRC. E3 was in May back then.

Here's hoping, but they're likely to hold back for E3 as much as possible to make a big splash there. Same goes for Sony.

KageMaru

More than anything. Room for MS to be flexible in the future. Small extra bit of memory, reserve it NOW despite the system perhaps not needing it and then have future flexibility.

Still if the 3GB + 2 core cost turn out true for the OS, that's way beyond overkill IMO.

I guess with the shit bandwidth, they wouldn't have any need for more than 5GB of memory.

Karak

Still if the 3GB + 2 core cost turn out true for the OS, that's way beyond overkill IMO.

I guess with the shit bandwidth, they wouldn't have any need for more than 5GB of memory.

From what I heard latest revison was actually 1 core:1.5 gig. With an expectation to go 1:1. On release. Take that as you will.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I dunno, the 7850 is ~1.7Tflops. I don't see why the 88xx would have to be 3+.

Also the APU on the 360 won't be clocked nearly as agressive as the 88xx discrete GPU. Also there will be no process change for the 7xxx to the 8xxxx so look for perfomance gains in the 20-30% area not the double. I could see the GPU portion part of the APU having the same usable CUs as the 8850 but clocked 20-30% less to help with yields and to get TDP and total wattage down.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
xbox-logo.jpg

The new logo is quite nice.
The typeface to the right I assume is Segoe UI. The weight is Regular, right?

Yeah, it doesn't look too bad but the colors here aren't accurate so I made this:

xboxlogosohuw0.png

Top row color is hex #77bb43. (R: 119, G: 187, B: 67)
Bottom row color is hex #51af47 (R: 81, G: 175, B: 71)

#77bb43 is what is used for some links at Xbox.com, I used this as an example. #51af47 is what is officially used for online images of the Xbox logo, this value I got from an image at microsoft.com. I haven't seen it in print though so I don't know about the CMYK values.

This isn't much related to the topic but I thought I could comment seeing as I've already had the vector files for this (in monochrome though). The kerning for Segoe I had to reproduce so it may not be 100%.

Alpha kits were 8 core 16 thread Intel Xeons, 12gb ram, and very powerful 7000 series cards.

When you say very powerful 7000 series, are you referring to the 7950 or 7970? The 8800 series should match or outperform high-end 7900 series video cards, judging by the performance of 6950/6970 vs 7850/7870.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Not going to happen E3 is much larger than 2005 with main stream press coverage including the cable network news, broadcast news, business news networks and getting 1.5 hours of free air time on spike TV. It would be stupid to announce any other time now. You can do an MTV event closer to launch as a final sales pitch.

Top Bottom