• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC DLC!!! (Play as Vergil)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
And they didn't HAVE to offer you an opportunity to get this DLC for free at all either, your point?

My point is that it's not a fair comparison. And if one needs to be made, DMC3:SE is far more consumer friendly and ethical simply on the fact that it was POST-RELEASE developed product.

Zephyrus

Banned
I'm 100% sure NT said we wouldn't be able to play as Vergil in the game... he wouldn't even be dlc.

That said... I'm now buying this game

Like it or not, that's nothing unique to Capcom though.
You know what other game has DLC planned months before release?

Every game.

Was there even a game (besides smaller indie stuff) in 2012 that didn't have DLC planned from the start?
Pretty much the only difference is some don't announce it until later, but it's always planned way before.

It always boggles my mind when people argue AGAINST having as much info as early as possible

sleepykyo

Isn't it also with Best Buy?

Not at the moment.

Amazon
Pre-order Devil May Cry and receive the Amazon exclusive Bone Weapons Pack and character perk. Transform Dante's shotgun, scythe and axe into precision crafted bone and strike fear into the hearts of the demon world! You’ll also receive access to the orb harvester – allowing you to collect hoards of extra red orbs to upgrade your weapons and combos, as well as purchase items. A code to access the exclusive content will be emailed to you within two days of your order shipment. This offer will be extended to all pre-orders. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Please read the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live terms of use.

Best Buy
With the Golden Pack, you can transform Dante's weapons into brutal, solid gold instruments of death. The character pack offers you access to the item finder — helping you hunt down hidden items.

Code for bonus will be included on game package. While supplies last.

Gamestop gets Vergil and the Samurai Pack.

Gbraga

ee540b367e64836a9bfd747a65878011.jpg

It will cost 9 bucks if you didn't preorder it.

EDIT: Seems like they used UMVC3's hitboxes as inspiration lol

I'm 100% sure NT said we wouldn't be able to play as Vergil in the game... he wouldn't even be dlc.

That said... I'm now buying this game

It was actually Capcom's Alex Jones, and he said that he wouldn't be playable in the retail product, he actually stated that DLC was a possibility, but he wasn't playable in the main game.

Zephyrus

Banned
ee540b367e64836a9bfd747a65878011.jpg

It will cost 9 bucks if you didn't preorder it.

EDIT: Seems like they used UMVC3's hitboxes as inspiration lol

It was actually Capcom's Alex Jones, and he said that he wouldn't be playable in the retail product, he actually stated that DLC was a possibility, but he wasn't playable in the main game.

so once again I have to pay extra despite pre-ordering all my games...

Glad I live in Portugal where I'm not robbed for every goddamn thing.

Vergil should be dlc offered on every new copy. Not a fucking pre-order dlc

Oemenia

Banned
The Pigsy DLC was excellent, lasting a good 6 hours and playing quite differently too the main game. I really think NT can pull this one off well.

Edit: Whoops 4 hours, still excellent for a game that is around 10 hours long and having different gameplay mechanics.

Gbraga

so once again I have to pay extra despite pre-ordering all my games...

Glad I live in Portugal where I'm not robbed for every goddamn thing.

Vergil should be dlc offered on every new copy. Not a fucking pre-order dlc

Agreed, some kind of online pass would be a lot better than this.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So wait

Not only will I play as the better Dante, I can play as the better Vergil, too?!

Thank you Capcom

Blasphemous. I can understand some people preferring DmC's Dante because of personal taste differences. DmC Vergil is nothing compared to DMC3 Vergil. Notice how they didn't have him speak in the trailer.

JoeFenix

You know, I think people need to approach this whole scenario a bit differently. Sure, Capcom has been doing this for what seems like forever. They did it with Street Fighter II back on SNES/Genesis, and yes, they've done it with DMC3 with DMC3SE. The thing is, why do they CONTINUE to do it? It's a bad practice, no matter how you try and justify it. Maybe the younger generation that played/purchased all of these Capcom re-releases didn't know any better because they were, you know, young and ignorant. I wasn't even thinking about business practices, consumer exploitation, etc. when Capcom did this back with Street Fighter II. Even more so, my parents probably bought me Super Street Fighter II Turbo or whatever for Christmas. I had no control over my support of these horrible practics. But now that I'm older and more mature I can choose not to support it because it's bullshit. Enough is enough, you know what I mean?

The difference is that the DMC 3 team put everything that they had done into the original version, the SE content was not sitting there fully developped but locked behind a pay wall. The game ended up being a hit but had some issues (difficulty was singled out in reviews) so they had the team work on a director's cut kind of version with extra content. This DLC is completed or in VERY advanced stages of development, it's all planned out from the start, paraded in front of you but blocked behind a pay or preorder wall.

It's disgusting. And beyond all those issues did anyone even look at the trailer? Looks like complete and utter shit, I was actualy playing DMC 3 this morning and this is a travesty. Anyone trying to convince themselves that this looks great should go play 3 or even 4 again.

What a fucking joke!

ezekial45

Banned
The difference is that the DMC 3 team put everything that they had done into the original version, the SE content was not sitting there fully developped but locked behind a pay wall. The game ended up being a hit but had some issues (difficulty was singled out in reviews) so they had the team work on a director's cut kind of version with extra content. This DLC is completed or in VERY advanced stages of development, it's all planned out from the start, paraded in front of you but hidden behind a pay or preorder wall.

It's disgusting. And beyond all those issues did anyone even look at the trailer? Looks like complete and utter shit, I was actualy playing DMC 3 this morning and this is a travesty. Anyone trying to convince themselves that this looks great should go play 3 or even 4 again.

What a fucking joke!

Now you're just being bitter.

Gbraga

Blasphemous. I can understand some people preferring DmC's Dante because of personal taste differences. DmC Vergil is nothing compared to DMC3 Vergil. Notice how they didn't have him speak in the trailer.

I like DmC Vergil but I agree with you, their Vergil made me realise that they Capcom was right in not letting them do a "Dante fanart" (as NT defined themselves) and instead pursue their own vision of the character. DmC Dante is much more fresh and unique, like him or not, Vergil is just a not-as-good version, even though I still like him.

Of course I'm only talking about visuals, I still have to play the game to judge them as characters.

ezekial45

Banned
My reputation precedes me.

YT comment said:
Ezekiel45 is a completely retarded fucking faggot who tries WAY too hard to like video games

jimmyqballs 18 minutes ago 4

He didn't even spell my name right.

JoeFenix

Now you're just being bitter.

I'm being realistic, they had no way to release content back then other than a physical release. You want to put everything in the package because you don't know if you'll get another chance at ever including new content. Game was successful and got a greatest hits version, they made it a director's cut version with extra content that was made AFTER the initial versions success.

This is content being held back that's already completed. They are showing it to you already but you can't have it for your 60$. That's pretty fucking bad.

And it does look like ass, I thought Dante's animations were janky looking but Vergil's.... It's a joke. Sorry.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Don't respond to obvious trolls, friend.

Dahbomb

If the small chance that this ends up being an on disc DLC then there is going to be a shit storm of epic proportions around here.

Unlockables that could have been an evolution from the previous method of "re-selling", but instead cost us isn't worth the complaints?

If you care that much, pre-order from gamestop. I am a big advocate for treating the consumer fair, and not being shitty about DLC. But I have no doubt that this was not taken out of the game just to be sold. Is it kind of tasteless to announce it this early? Yes, I am always against that. However, I don't feel like this is anything but an actual "Add-On".

Well, if you don't buy at Gamestop, you don't get it for free, even if you have it pre-ordered somewhere else. Limiting access like that seems like a fair complaint. At least let everyone have a chance at their most accessible retailer.

I agree. But thats the way it works right now, and the publishers play by the retailer's ruleset in a lot of cases.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Don't respond to obvious trolls, friend.

This advice is sound.

If the small chance that this ends up being an on disc DLC then there is going to be a shit storm of epic proportions around here.

It won't be. I'm positive the DLC is finished or near completion, but they won't add it to the disc after the backlash they've received from SFxT. They'll pretend it's still being worked on and release it a safe distance from the launch. There will be some assets on there for sure, though.

Yuterald

360 opens the pandora's box with charging not for the mp itself, but the opportunity to have mp.

Bethseda starts monetizing in game items. eg. Horse armor

Ubisoft cuts off the endings/prologues as dlc in games like PoP 2008 and Tomb Raider Underworld

Activision announces in advance that ~$60 of dlc will required for keeping up with the jones in CoD, in advance of the game release. The season pass goes mainstream.

That enough is enough/straw that broke the camel's back line got crossed a long time ago.

True, but I guess I was just keeping the discussion to Capcom since it's the topic.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. But you and I both know that's not going to happen. Capcom and all these other companies have got the sweet taste of DLC profits, and they're not going to give that up. Ever. All they can do to calm people is to make things a bit more comfortable and easy for them to swallow

See, I think it could still happen. I just think we need someone with enough power/money to make the change. I get it though, these companies have more than digested those DLC profits/numbers and there's likely no going back, but weirder things have happened, right? I know the following scenario would be least likely to happen, but entertain the idea for me:

What if someone like Activision decided to stop pushing DLC for their CoD games and instead emphasized in-game/at purchase content and consumer value? What if Activision made a BIG PUBLIC STINK in favor of a non-DLC future? In 2013, all of their games would be DLC free and instead be packed to the brim with content (maps) at launch. If Activision stood by this decision and people bought their games and internalized this "DLC Bad, Valued Packaged Good" mindset then the practice would certainly trickle down to other companies. I believe everyone (the industry, gamers, publishers, developers) would benefit from this change, but until then (or if it ever happens), things are only going to get worse.

Gbraga

Well no, probably no space left on the disc what with the bloody palace and skins dlc.

Skins are DLC, but are also unlockable, DLC will be just early access, that was already confirmed.

Weapon skins in the other hand are DLC only and will probably be on disc, since it's a pre-order bonus.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What if someone like Activision decided to stop pushing DLC for their CoD games and instead emphasized in-game/at purchase content and consumer value? What if Activision made a BIG PUBLIC STINK in favor of a non-DLC future? In 2013, all of their games would be DLC free and instead be packed to the brim with content (maps) at launch. If Activision stood by this decision and people bought their games and internalized this "DLC Bad, Valued Packaged Good" mindset then the practice would certainly trickle down to other companies. I believe everyone (the industry, gamers, publishers, developers) would benefit from this change, but until then (or if it ever happens), things are only going to get worse.

I read this as, "What if someone like Activision hated effortless money?"

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Meh, I'm not massively interested in the game though it is on my list of games to get a few months after release when it is cheaper (I enjoy the series but am pretty terrible at them, lol), but I find myself even less caring with this sort of thing.

These little stories that to me would be seemingly great for the lore and to expand the product, especially for something like DmC where fans opinions are already mixed on it being a reboot yet these companies continue to try and, what is the saying, nickle and dime us? at every opportunity.

Watch it being on disc DLC.

Otherwise make it a stand alone game like Infamous Festival of Blood and I'll play.

Not enough companies do this, kind of like RDR's Undead Nightmare disc, though that was more expensive, or the Dead Rising stuff. I can totally get onboard with small side stories that don't require the main game and give you a taste of the actual game, more so if it includes some sort of unlockable.
Though Festival of Blood is probably the best I've personally seen, great little mini story.

Top Bottom