• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AceBandage said:
Well, multiplatforms titles will go to the Cafe. That's not even up for debate. It'll be super easy to port them and it'll add more users to sell to.

Sure, but I think they need to lock up a meaningful exclusive and throw weight behind it, like they did with Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter. Those are the kinds of things that could forge productive relationships between Nintendo and western third-parties who right now view Nintendo as unhelpful at best.

Locking up a non-GTA Rockstar exclusive, for example, could be pretty big. As long as it's not on a handheld, and it's announced right away as opposed to years down the line when the audiences are already set.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Here are some concerning predictions for Nintendo's press conference on June 7th.

Craig Harris said:
40 percent to the 3DS, 40 percent to how Nintendo is going to sustain the Wii market for the next year (i.e., updates on Nintendo Selects, maybe a new system color/bundle, possibly a “remember this?” Vitality Sensor reveal). Then move into the new Nintendo strategy of getting gamers back on the couch and socializing. And then show off Cafe. Don’t expect a huge focus – remember when Revolution was revealed on-stage, it was a “look how tiny this thing is!” announcement. Café (a project name I’m told has already been internally abandoned for another) will be similar. “Here’s our controller idea, or at least most of it. Tune in next year. Now talk amongst yourselves."

I wouldn't even bat an eye at such at thing IFFF it wasn't from Craig Harris. The former DS/Wii Editor at IGN surely has some contacts left with inside information. Also, I don't think he would so matter-of-factually talk out of his ass.

Skiesofwonder said:
Here are some concerning predictions for Nintendo's press conference on June 7th.

I wouldn't even bat an eye at such at thing IFFF it wasn't from Craig Harris. The former DS/Wii Editor at IGN surely has some contacts left with inside information. I don't think he would so matter-of-factually talk out of his ass.

Yeah, I posted that earlier.
No way he's right, though.
The Cafe will be playable. They can't just show the controller and be done with it.

Skiesofwonder said:

I wouldn't even bat an eye at such at thing IFFF it wasn't from Craig Harris. The former DS/Wii Editor at IGN surely has some contacts left with inside information. I don't think he would so matter-of-factually talk out of his ass.

As someone said earlier, Craig seems to forget that it's playable.

Edit: Beaten. :) It was probably Ace who noticed anyway. :p

Truth101

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:

Except for the fact that we already know it will be playable at E3.

methodman

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:

I don't know man, the press release already said that it will be playable on the floor, not to discredit Craig.

Edit: Damn this thread moves quick, lol

Skiesofwonder said:

But Nintendo did confirm it was playable at the show.

methodman said:
I don't know man, the press release already said that it will be playable on the floor, not to discredit Craig.

Edit: Damn this thread moves quick, lol

It's an pre-E3 hype thread man, one blink and 20 pages go by! :O

BY2K

Membero Americo
I think I'll need to make it perfectly clear in my Nintendo Conference Thread that the goddamn thing is going to playable to everyone of the show floor.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Skiesofwonder said:

I wouldn't even bat an eye at such at thing IFFF it wasn't from Craig Harris. The former DS/Wii Editor at IGN surely has some contacts left with inside information. Also, I don't think he would so matter-of-factually talk out of his ass.

He didn't say it wouldn't be playable. He just said they would talk mostly about the controller idea and then save some big stuff for the following year.

It makes perfect sense if this thing is going to be released mid-to-late next year--focus on the controller and streaming (which, if the rumors are true, will clearly be the main draw) and then start to build hype for games over the next year.

Scum

AceBandage said:
Well, multiplatforms titles will go to the Cafe. That's not even up for debate. It'll be super easy to port them and it'll add more users to sell to.
*Fingers crossed for Bayonetta*

swerve

AceBandage said:
The Cafe will be playable. They can't just show the controller and be done with it.

His post makes a great deal of sense. Going all out with the first reveal was their 3DS strategy when they were aiming to launch it last November. They *need* to keep stream's core secrets close to their chest.

Plinko said:
He didn't say it wouldn't be playable. He just said they would talk mostly about the controller idea and then save some big stuff for the following year.

It makes perfect sense if this thing is going to be released mid-to-late next year--focus on the controller and streaming (which, if the rumors are true, will clearly be the main draw) and then start to build hype for games over the next year.

Except that we'll get gameplay, montages and a host of other things.
That's FAR more than what we got from the first Revolution reveal.

Skiesofwonder said:

I'm expecting it to be just like for the 3DS. Nintendo gave 30 of roughly 80 minutes of their conference to the 3DS.

Skiesofwonder

AceBandage said:

Ah! My bad, Gaf is quicker than I thought (as always).

Indeed, the press release did say it was playable. S I did (at first) smh at Craig's prediction, but than I realized that Craig is just as big (or not a bigger) Nintendo fanboy than us all. So therefore I see no reason why he wouldn't already know word for word what the Press Release said.

Also, considering it says "We will show a playable model of the system" is rather concerning. But, did we not have a Nintendo rep come out and confirm Cafe was playable on the show floor? Or did I dream that up? I'll do a quick search..... that might put my worries to rest (for now). :)

Edit:
Kotaku said:
Nintendo's confirmation this morning that they'll be showing their new console at E3 left many unanswered questions, but also raised a note of skepticism. The company's statement on the Wii successor promises "a playable model" of the machine at E3 in June. But would Nintendo just play it on stage and leave attendees to gawk? No. "Playable means playable by everyone," a spokesperson for Nintendo told Kotaku today. Presumably, "everyone" means "everyone who shows up at E3 and maybe waits on a line or schedules an appointment." We'll be there in June, playing it.

Link.

swerve

It can be playable with simple tech demos like initially shown to the press at the Wii remote reveal, or it could be playable *using* the Wii remote but with Zelda HD.

There are many ways to interpret all the things we have heard.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
AceBandage said:
Except that we'll get gameplay, montages and a host of other things.
That's FAR more than what we got from the first Revolution reveal.

Oh, I see what you mean--I don't think he was saying it will be exactly like the Revolution reveal--just "similar." My guess is they still don't show a ton--just a few games. I bet the games on the show floor that are playable are really there to showcase the controller/streaming idea.

Trurl

Banned
AceBandage said:
It'll take Nintendo being aggressive to get them on board, and I think we'll see this in the coming years.
I've been waiting for Nintendo to be aggressive in attracting third parties for 15 years. With something of an exception for the Gamecube, it hasn't happened.

Nintendo fans believing that "this generation Nintendo will get a lot of developer support" is starting to feel analogous to a Cubs fan expecting a World Series win.

I'm sorry, but Amir0x's edit at the beginning is fucking ridiculous. She hasn't released "hundreds" of anything. She's posted rumors, just like any site has released "rumors." That spec sheet was posted, are you going to delete and ban everything that relates back to said spec sheet? What a fucking ridiculous threat. Rumors are stupid EVERYWHERE, in ANY case. That's what makes shit like new consoles so exciting, dealing with terrible rumors. She doesn't have credibility, most likely, but she's not really saying anything we haven't already expected ourselves.

Come one, let people discuss whatever.

Trurl said:
I've been waiting for Nintendo to be aggressive in attracting third parties for 15 years. With something of an exception for the Gamecube, it hasn't happened.

Nintendo fans believing that "this generation Nintendo will get a lot of developer support" is starting to feel analogous to a Cubs fan expecting a World Series win.

Difference is that Nintendo now has no choice.
Adapt or die, basically.
They can't sustain a system based on just their own games, so they have to suck up to third parties whether they like it or not.

BY2K

Membero Americo
swerve said:
It can be playable with simple tech demos like initially shown to the press at the Wii remote reveal, or it could be playable *using* the Wii remote but with Zelda HD.

There are many ways to interpret all the things we have heard.

I don't think Nintendo would be the kind of company to reveal a console and make it playable only with little tech demos that won't become games.

Especially not at something like E3.

Anth0ny

Skiesofwonder said:
Ah! My bad, Gaf is quicker than I thought (as always).

Indeed, the press release did say it was playable. S I did (at first) smh at Craig's prediction, but than I realized that Craig is just as big (or not a bigger) Nintendo fanboy than us all. So therefore I see no reason why he wouldn't already know word for word what the Press Release said.

Also, considering it says "shown in playable form" is rather concerning. But, did we not have a Nintendo rep come out and confirm Cafe was playable on the show floor? Or did I dream that up? I'll do a quick search..... that might put my worries to rest (for now). :)

I believe Kotaku said it will definitely be playable on the floor. Not exactly super reliable, but why wouldn't it be playable on the floor if it is playable elsewhere?

KevinCow

Banned
People actually expect Nintendo to localize games like Xenoblade and The Last Story?

...How long have you guys been following Nintendo?

Skiesofwonder

Anth0ny said:
I believe Kotaku said it will definitely be playable on the floor. Not exactly super reliable, but why wouldn't it be playable on the floor if it is playable elsewhere?

Yeah, you are right. I edited the quote from a NOE rep into my post. Unless Nintendo is being extremely misleading.... I don't see how Craig's prediction could be true.

swerve

@DeathByVolcano

There are a number of banned sources, due to poor information, regular fabrications, and click-farming headlines.

Write to Ami with a list of times the site you want discussed was correct and I'm sure he'll re think his stance. until then appreciate that there is a place where shit rumors are kept at bay as much as possible, and plausible ones get the airtime that we all want them to, and that place is GAF.

Edit: darn autocorrect changed plausible to audible. I changed it back.

Scum

KevinCow said:
People actually expect Nintendo to localize games like Xenoblade and The Last Story?

I'm pretty sure these two will be available in Europe soon. You just need to blame NoA. :p

KevinCow said:

Both are being localized in English, actually.
The question is if we'll see them in NA.
I'm betting we will. That's an awful lot of money to localize two giant RPGS for just Europe.

swerve said:
There are a number of banned sources, due to poor information, regular fabrications, and click-farming headlines.

Write to Ami with a list of times the site you want discussed was correct and I'm sure he'll re think his stance. until then appreciate that there is a place where shit rumors are kept at bay as much as possible, and audible ones get the airtime that we all want them to, and that place is GAF.

You're right, but I'd like to think (in fact, I know) that GAF members are smart enough to recognize what a reliable source is compared to someone just spewing something. Regardless, we haven't seen anything really THAT shocking coming from ANY rumors. Everything is at least worth a look and discussion.

DeathbyVolcano said:
You're right, but I'd like to think (in fact, I know) that GAF members are smart enough to recognize what a reliable source is compared to someone just spewing something. Regardless, we haven't seen anything really THAT shocking coming from ANY rumors. Everything is at least worth a look and discussion.

Well, tons of stuff gets through and sometimes it is hard to keep track of who's who. Keeping the absolute shit out does help.

metroid-project-cafe.jpg

Brand new, probably totally fake screenshot.

http://wii2blog.com/a-metroid-screenshot/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
^^^ Second shot is from Unreal Tournament 3.

Skiesofwonder said:
Yeah, you are right. I edited the quote from a NOE rep into my post. Unless Nintendo is being extremely misleading.... I don't see how Craig's prediction could be true.

I assume it will be playable on the show floor, as in people lining up. I know, at the very least, press will be playing the system after the conference. It wont be Nintendo demoing the thing on stage then calling it a wrap. Hands-on baby.

KevinCow said:

I dunno, they released Baiten Kaitos 2, didn't they? My only reasoning for holding out hope of them localizing both titles at this point is that besides SS, Wii has literally NOTHING else in the pipeline.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm pretty damn sure that is just a map from UT3 with Samus modeled in. The second shot gives it away, as I remember many kills there :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom