• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony teasing The Order sneak peak at 1pm PT today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ib1yRxaNcS141c.gif

iPaBjcm1fAxGG.gif

That's about it.

Now onto the build comparison.

I can't imagine why Ready at Dawn would team-up with Sony again. I would tell them to piss off for letting us work on PSP spin offs. If it turns out that the top dogs of RaD have been working on a generic Gears Of War clone the whole time I'll be pissed.
You would tell them to piss off as they slowly build their team over the years? Whaaaat?

It would also make me even more dissapointed about the fact that this is Sony's big fall game. Eventhough The Order nails the core TPS gameplay it is bland, unimaginetive and repetitive to a fault. Not even near worth all the praise. If it turns out that RaD is focusing most of it's resources on this game as an exclusive for this fall it means that Sony is nothing more than desperate to keep up with the competition.
I agree gameplay isn't looking the most exciting, but can we at least wait until E3, a few weeks away to judge? RAD wanted to make this game, I don't even see what Sony has to do with this, other than publishing the game. How does this make Sony desperate anyways?

If Sony let RaD pull something as stupid as this on purpose I'm completely done with them. I'm not going to buy a PS4 because of them. If they do this I'm going to boycott every single one of their products. I won't support them even if I happened to buy a PS4 at some point.
I genuinely can't tell if this part is serious or good sarcasm.

Nimby

Banned
So salty...

It looks like a refined 3rd person action/adventure title with shooting mechanics.

What do you people want? I think this looks freaking awesome.

I don't know how you got adventure out of that gameplay. There was no freedom whatsoever.

Yeah, it's a three-minute video, and not representative of the entire game, but I think this IS the game. What adventure there is like a movie, with one pre-determined route.

People want a game they will enjoy, while you appreciate it, I can't find myself getting too excited.

Trickster

Please elaborate and tell me what you've fathomed from this isolated, context-less three minute gameplay trailer.

Well the segment shows a guy taking cover behind a pillar for 2 minutes, shooting random dudes on balconies. Then comes the scripted part where he has to blow up a building. And then the next scripted part where he has to drag an injured dude while shooting more random dudes running out on a balcony one at a time. None of which looks very fun in terms of gameplay

Now I'm curious, how much footage do you think we should get before being able to form an opinion about the gameplay? Because initially, when RAD had talked about what kind of game they were going for, people defending the game said we should wait for some gameplay footage before casting judgement on the game. Then we got that trailer with a few short gameplay shots, and people said that clearly wasn't enough footage to judge the gameplay. Now we have 3 minutes of gameplay footage, and you seem to be implying that clearly this isn't enough footage either.

Loudninja

The Thermite Rifle

The thermite rifle is the flashiest and most devastating of the bunch Ready At Dawn has revealed so far. Pellets packed with strips of aluminum iron oxide are blasted into the environment, which then break open into a cloud of glittery metal paper. A high temperature flare is then shot into the cloud, creating a chemical reaction that turns the cloud into a burning mass of melting metal. This devastating weapon is perfect for punishing enemies hiding behind cover.
The Arc Gun

This high-voltage weapon is where things start to get more experimental. The arc gun has electric wires and components spread along its long metal rods. Electrical current zaps along this contraption as it warms up, creating a Jacob’s Ladder. This piece of bleeding edge technology shakes and smokes as it charges up a precise, long-distance bolt of energy. The way it zaps towards far off targets reminds us of Cole’s eagle-eyed lightning blast from Infamous.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...he-weapons-and-gadgets-of-the-order-1886.aspx

It just looks so frickin good. That hit detection is amazing! The particles, the character models, the setting.. that blue beam with the grey background looked so good!!The GRAPHICSSSS!! It is RaD's first attempt at a AAA home console game and I think they are doing an amazing job so far. The marketing for this game may not be the best and the gameplay they have shown so far is not mind blowing but it still looks good. This game prolly wont fulfill the dreams of those who want some kind of gameplay they have never seen before but from the perspective I am looking at it as a TPS action/adventure/horror? Game with a great story and setting. I think it has the potential to be one of the, if not the best, TPS out there.

The graphics look unbelievable but they showed a really weird place in the game. Drag a guy across the street while enemies run standing up without covers and practically yell," hey please shoot us while you slowly drag that man so we can fall of this building and show our awesome physics!"

But But But But!!! This game has monsters and stuff right!? So I'm sure the game is far more interesting. That being said you can't really blame people for pointing out the generic and dated game design shown in that little teaser.

LOL.

On a serious note, the visuals and setting are amazing. It's just the gameplay that does not wow me. That said, it still looks pretty good on the whole. Just not, 'oh my god, I must have a PS4' kind of good. But I'll certainly check it out if I ever do decide to get one.

yea i'm not super jazzed with the gameplay shown. it looks solid but not anything wow so far. But i'll wait to get more info and continue to form my buying interest in the game

i hope it all comes together into something great

Sure, you could, and if Sony did promote the game like that, is it really my fault if I think it looks bad?

It's their job to convince me to spend 60 bucks on this, I'm just reacting to what they're showing.

TLOU was labeled generic and crap like that pre-release because of how it was presented also.

" just another zombie game "

" more of the same "

" uncharted with zombies "

But when the game released and people actually played it, well ... funny how it all changed.

RAD is not going for revolutionary gameplay here. Looks like they want to go for in-game CG quality graphics built inside an interactive / cinematic experience. We have seen portions of gunplay, portions of horror, portions of investigation, etc. etc. But we haven't seen much of the game flowing together yet. That is what will be saved for E3. What we do know though, RAD has laid the visual groundwork for something that could be incredibly entertaining if pulled off. We just get to see now whether they are able to pull it off.

This is RAD though. This is their first console game. Hard to believe seeing the tech used here, but this is their first rodeo with the big Sony studios. I say good luck to them, because I love the setting, the characters, the look, the weapons, etc. etc.

Wolff

I plan on buying this and i find it to be an interesting game because of the setting and some of what was promised. Now, knowing it is a single player only game i expect something a bit more than the usual, but they're playing veeery safe with the footage and it's not helping. So hopefully what they'll show at E3 gives us everything about it otherwise i will be a bit of a let down.

Man there is some Insecurity from those that may have purchased a system last year , for let's say $ 537 tax included . Game looks stunning . But , haters got to hate , I guess

Raist

Banned
Yeah, there is something odd about the effects when he is shooting that sign. No visible damage being done, just sparks and some really peculiar looking smoke. While the visuals in general are impressive, the gameplay and stuff like this is anything but.

iJyRUvnS2Fv2d.gif

There's multiple bullet impacts. Not just there, all over the place.

Hoje0308

Banned
You clearly can't extrapolate a comments meaning even when it's strung on a thread of context.

The context is a thread full of overblown comments of every stripe, most of them serious. In light of that, how was your meaning obvious? The fact that it was ridiculous means nothing if you've bothered to read the damn thread.

Loudninja

Not referring to framerate. If we get a gamersyde version, then it would be interesting to compare screen caps to these and see if anything has changed/improved:

pics
I know just saying that was the main issue not really anything else.

But yeah I want to see that as well. :)

Bester

Neo Member
So exited for this game, massive gears/uncharted (tps) fan and with gears probably 2 years away this looks right up my street

TyrantII

Someone needs to gif Kevin Spacy's head onto Galahad so we can proceed to get our panties unbunched.

(jockstraps for the ladies)

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Man there is some Insecurity from those that may have purchased a system last year , for let's say $ 537 tax included . Game looks stunning . But , haters got to hate , I guess

It's okay to like things. It's okay to not like things. It's okay to make initial judgements based on released footage. Get that system stuff out of here.

I'm hoping the game is more than that.. the setting deserves more than just to act as a wrapper for a TPS military shooter.

That is so true. I feel like the setting/world in this game is nearly perfect. I even love the look and cast of characters. It would be so disappointing if this ends up just being an average to below average game in every other respect.

In my head I've always felt if the gameplay and encounter design matched the setting this could be a really special game. So far they haven't shown anything that gives me confidence that's gonna happen. I've still got some hope though.

Caller: "So whassup man?"
DJ: "Coolin' man"
C: "Chillin' chilin'? Yo, you know I had to call. You know why, right?"
DJ: "Why?"
C: "Because, yo, I never ever call and ask you to play somethin' right?"
DJ: "Yeah"
C: "You know what I wanna see, right?"
DJ: "Whatchu wanna see?"
C: "I wanna see that 3rd person duck and cover gameplay mechanics from last generation joint"
DJ: "3rd person duck and cover gameplay mechanics from last generation, again?"
C: "Ahhw yea, again and again!"

Gbraga

TLOU was labeled generic and crap like that pre-release because of how it was presented also.

" just another zombie game "

" more of the same "

" uncharted with zombies "

But when the game released and people actually played it, well ... funny how it all changed.

RAD is not going for revolutionary gameplay here. Looks like they want to go for in-game CG quality graphics built inside an interactive / cinematic experience. We have seen portions of gunplay, portions of horror, portions of investigation, etc. etc. But we haven't seen much of the game flowing together yet. That is what will be saved for E3. What we do know though, RAD has laid the visual groundwork for something that could be incredibly entertaining if pulled off. We just get to see now whether they are able to pull it off.

This is RAD though. This is their first console game. Hard to believe seeing the tech used here, but this is their first rodeo with the big Sony studios. I say good luck to them, because I love the setting, the characters, the look, the weapons, etc. etc.

I didn't, the moment they showed gameplay, it was clear that it wasn't Uncharted. And even if when people play it they change their minds, what's wrong about that? Why is it so important that people don't criticize the footage if they don't like it?

It's not funny how it changed, it's natural. And it's good, proves people are willing to give it a shot even if they don't like what they see (I've hyped The Last of Us since it was announced though). You don't have to protect the game.

C: "I wanna see that 3rd person duck and cover gameplay mechanics from last generation joint"

Well done.

Salex_

Whenever I watch these early gameplay videos I'm trying to get a sense of what I'll be doing - as the player - and the kind of choices I'll make, either from moment to moment or as part of a longer term strategy.

In this video, with me as the player, I watch a cut-scene which then puts me into a firefight on street level. Cover to the left with allied AI using it, cover to the right with allied AI, and cover forward in the street with another allied AI using it. I guess I'd use the big ole empty cover in the middle for this firefight then.

Now, I'm behind cover, what are my choices? There doesn't seem to be any real need to advance as the enemies are all at height, and no reason to look for alternative cover spots for angles or defensive moves since nothing the enemy is doing looks to affect me here. So my choices are really in which order to take the enemy positions down in.

Once that's done the game literally asks you to fire your special weapon attack into the building's second floor so you can see a canned explosion and advance the checkpoint forward.

Then policeman guy gets downed and you're asked to attend to him. You get to move up and hit triangle, at which point you're now stuck on rails while a line of enemies will walk on to a rooftop in the open and fire on you at point blank range with their pistols. The choice here is the same, to prioritize who to shoot, only now you've got no cover to work with.

Once you take down those enemies in whatever order since they're all the same, you get another cut-scene and the story moves forward.

So, as a showcase of visuals, this video is fine. As a showcase for gameplay, nothing that's come out for this game looks engaging in the slightest. No interesting choices to be made whatsoever.

If there's a fun game in there, I'd love to see it at some point.
Nice post. I agree with you.

People, take note please. Instead of saying "last gen gameplay" (this term makes no sense for numerous of reasons I won't mention in this post) and "looks like another TPS", this is what you should do.

Explain yourself.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Also it was quite a dumb decision to stream it like that knowing it would kill the IQ. Should have just released HQ direct feed gameplay footage instead.

AlphaDump

Gold Member

protect ya Knack

Proponent

Banned
Grey. Grey everywhere...

If you don't like it, go find some rainbow game to play. No one asked for your opinion.

This is the tone Gears 2 and 3 should have went with! Instead, Epic listened to 'the haters', instead of the fans, and murdered the color palette on the two sequels making it brighter, more colorful and cartoony.

Yeah GTFO with that shit. Give me my dark, moody, gritty, tense, and edgy action third person cover shooter ala Gears 1 ANYDAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom