• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite (PC/PS4/XB1/Mac, Epic Games) enters early access on July 25

mrqs

New gameplay, i think. It was uploaded today at least.

VentureBeat - 20 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAqRRpnfC7Y
Venture Beat - 1 hour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X2FnQP01j4
PC Gamer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Tt1Ixk8To

1nH5SW7.png

IGZUbbN.png

B1U2EPo.png

Kssio_Aug

Just saw the trailer on youtube and I thought it had some relation with PopCap games. It looks a lot like PvZ GW. It looks great though! (not so much, but still looks fun to play with friends)

Azzawon

Legit thought this game was dead. I'm not sure there's even a space in the market for this game any more, but here's hoping the early access performs well. Not keen on that pricing tho...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've been playing the game for the past week and it's good fucking stuff. Everything feels smooth, and it's easy to switch between combat and building during the action.

This could be big.

MadmanUK

Loving the thick lady 😘
I was a huge fan of OMD so I'm pretty intrigued. So glad it's finally coming out.

thought character customization woulda been the thing for this game

not that i mind, i always end up playing as a black samurai dude in every game i play anyway

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Doesn't look bad. I have no friends though.

There are public parties in the game, so you'll be paired up with other folks organically (if you'd like). Or you can play alone. But you can make friends in Fortnite. :) It actually pays to be nice to other people when playing. :D

The trailer looks really really good to me. And I was so uninterested after the original reveal, way back.

I'm cautious though now after those Eurogamer impressions. Will wait on reviews for this.

Wozman23

Shades of Sunset Overdrive for me. Definitely thought it was vaporware as well.

I'm not much for online multiplayer games, or a fan of any of the games or genres it's borrowing concepts from like Minecraft and survival games, but this one interests me. It could pull me in providing it doesn't go overboard with the microtransactions - which sadly based on the edition details seems to be the case.

If it has a single player component, I'll definitely check it out.

Interview: How Epic Games brought Fortnite home from the wilderness

GamesBeat: Would you say that it’s like modernizing Epic?

Mustard: It is. Luckily, Tim is very smart. He’s very forward looking. That’s one of the reasons why we were so excited to partner with Tencent. As we looked at the market five years ago, the traditional boxed game model wasn’t going to hold. And who’s to say that even the current model we’re shifting to is going to hold, but it’s certainly the model we’re seeing currently.

GamesBeat: EA’s earnings were all about their live services.

Mustard: Right. Five years ago we were a company with under 100 employees that made one game at a time and happened to have an engine we licensed out. Now we’re more than 500 people and we have all these games, all this enterprise work. We’re much better positioned for the future. It’s taken us five years to change, to make that transformation. Not just to turn the ship, but to transform us.

Fortnite has been the tip of the spear the entire time. When we started prototyping it, it was on Unreal Engine 3. As we realized our ambitions for the game, and our hopes for the game, we knew we didn’t have the technology to make that yet. We needed to make a new engine not just to service the future, but that could showcase what we wanted to do with this game – to make these dynamic worlds, fully destructible, randomly generated. These were massive things that we needed new technology to do. Fortnite paved the way for that, and for our live operations back end.

Paragon is currently out in open beta, but we’ve been operating Fortnite in a closed alpha using our back end for about 22 months. That’s been operating continuously the whole time with real players, stress testing that back end. We had to stand that up to even work on Fortnite. We had to build a publishing wing and marketing department. Everything we had to do to transform Epic into a publisher. Our ambition is to be independent, and to be able to do that on our own without having to rely on an external partner.

GamesBeat: The game looks very different from it did at first. The art is more realistic than the last time we saw it.

Phelps: Our goal has always been to create a game that was accessible and stylized. What if Pixar did the Walking Dead? One of the things we looked in the revision was the characters. We took a long look at them and really wanted to get the heroism that we were hoping for in the game, to be able to pull that together. That’s where we re-envisioned all the core characters, establishing the heroes and putting together some solutions to be able to create hundreds of heroes. The game we have today now has 100-plus heroes, and that’ll continue to grow after we launch. We’re excited about that. We think that heroism—it just fulfills the core of what Fortnite is.

Vamphuntr

Seems expensive from their website. I thought it was free to play but it ranges from 40-200$ US for rare loot and heroes unlock. That seems the norm these days for that kind of game though.

wwm0nkey

Apparently I get $20 off since I was in the beta. I liked it enough so I might get a founders pack, but isn't this supposed to be free too?

RocknRola

That...actually looked damn great! Want! Guess all the time they took with it was worth it :) Trailer looked crazy fun!

Gbraga

The trailer was amazing, this game has a lot of potential.

Too many things to play to get into Early Access, though, so I'll pass until the final version comes out. Hopefully there will still be people interested in playing when that time comes.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
This game will bomb so hard. They should've just cancelled it years ago. The premise of this game has already been done in Sunset Overdrive, just with less micromanagement. Which is a good thing.

george_us

Art style looks fantastic but that gameplay does nothing for me. I'll check out the early access/beta if it'll be available on PS4 tho.

Top Bottom