• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Epic Yarn |OT| The Grass Feels Like...Pants

Bhiuo.jpg

S2CIn.jpg
B39gl.png

Nintendo said:
Kirby's first console platform game since the Nintendo 64™ days introduces an amazing new look based on animated yarn and a world of cloth and textiles. The creative approach is woven directly into the game play and allows the ever-morphing Kirby to take on a variety of new forms. A simultaneous two player* mode will have players of all skill levels enjoying this one-of-a-kind experience.

FEATURES:

* The look of the world is stunning, but it's also interactive. Pulling on stray threads might reveal hidden areas. When Kirby literally goes behind the scenes, the virtual fabric warps and bends to show his location.

* Thanks to his versatile yarn composition, Kirby can take on a variety of forms both in his common actions and when he transforms into powerful vehicles. When Kirby dashes, he zips around as a car. In water, he turns into a submarine. At times he can even transform into a massive robotic tank, a UFO and other vehicles.

* Two players can play through the entire game together.

* Beads and collectible items are scattered throughout the environments for players to find.

Websites
KirbyKirbyKirby.com
Nintendo Japan

Jg82e.jpg

Characters

mEeCk.jpg
E5xeF.jpg

021Yu.jpg
ipnGP.jpg

GhMsj.jpg
lDHKh.jpg

Jg82e.jpg

Abilities

In Epic Yarn, Kirby can't copy abilities and he can't fly, but he has a variety of forms he can transform into. They are called "Transformations". There's a total of 16 of those in the game. Here's some of them.

EmcjC.jpg
eZBJG.jpg

Submarine : As soon Kirby enters in the water, he goes into this form.
Dolphin : Kirby can swift faster in this form. He can also jump through hoops, swim up waterfalls and bounce beads on its nose.

gTm42.jpg
71cTu.jpg

Parachute : In this form. Kirby goes into a slow fall. You can transform into this form at any moment by tapping the 2 button twice.
Rocket : Kirby can destroy enemies by shooting stars at them and fly around in rocket form in a similar manner to Space Invaders.

LsZcO.jpg
hWxHY.jpg

Fire Engine : Kirby can put the fire out in this form including fire enemies.
Tankbot : Kirby becomes this once he picks up a certain powerup. It can hover, has light-up eyes, and can shoot Missiles. When there are 2 players it has a boxing glove as well, and it seems that, instead of piloting the tankbot, Kirby becomes the tankbot while Prince Fluff pilots it.

And when you are not using transformation, you can use your Whip to catch enemies and throw them at others like the previous Kirby always did. The whip can also be used to open secret passages hidden in the background, reveal some power ups and make your way through the levels.

AtfTx.jpg

Jg82e.jpg

Co-Op
The game supports complete Co-Op gameplay through the entire game. The first player is controling Kirby and the second player is using Prince Fluff. You can beat Epic Yarn from the start to the end with a friend with a second Wii Remote. Here's some videos about it.
Co-op Gameplay #1
Co-op Gameplay #2
Japanese Co-Op Commercial

Jg82e.jpg

Screenshots

kirby2_13cre.gif
kirby1_1ndcl.gif

kirby6_1rgyq.gif
vHVIn.jpg

Jg82e.jpg

Videos

Official E3 Trailer
First Japanese Teaser Trailer
TGS 2010 Trailer
Japanese Overview Trailer
Japanese Commercial Video
Japanese Single Player Commercials
Gameplay
More Gameplay
Even More Gameplay
Fire Truck Gameplay
Tank Gameplay
Story Trailer
Japanese Video Update (9.24.2010)

Jg82e.jpg

Reviews

Famitsu : 9/8/9/10
1up : A-
IGN : 9/10
Kotaku Review (Editor's Choice)
GameTrailers : 8.4/10
GamesRadar : 9/10

Jg82e.jpg

yagQ9.jpg

Iwata Asks : Epic Yarn wasn't supposed to be a Kirby game
Once formal development began, the staff first spent three months working on a prototype. They found some problems once they actually tried to play the prototype, though. It had the elements of an action game, like enemies and gimmicks, and the look of the World of Yarn was good, but something just felt wrong when they played. Additionally, although the game offered a simple play experience, Watanabe, a more casual gamer when it comes to action games, didn't find the first couple of stages too fun.

It was during this somewhat confused state, where they didn't have a full vision for the game, that Nintendo asked them if they'd like to make it into a Kirby title. This proposition came in Summer 2009.

Iwata asked Ebisu for his reaction upon hearing Nintendo's proposal. It turns out that he'd actually gotten a feeling that the game's Fluff character looked a bit like Kirby. However, he wasn't sure if he necessarily wanted to put Kirby in the game, as the people who'd made the original character would presumably like to have that character make it into the final product.

However, after putting Kirby in the game as a test, Ebisu was surprised with how persuasive seeing the character in there was. The reason for this, he feels, is that because the Kirby character already exists, the yarn version of the character offered a greater feeling of existing.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/07/iwata_asks_kirby/

Jg82e.jpg

The Epic Yarn Room

In the recent Kirby Demo, Nintendo created a room completely made out of Yarn. It's so pretty that it deserves some attention.

Making Of by I Am 8-Bit

Jg82e.jpg

ML8BV.gif
Music

Grass Land
Patch Castle
Fountain Gardens
Quilty Square
Fountain Gardens - Tank
Flower Field
Rainbow Falls
Vs. Meta Knight
Vs. Fangora
Big-Bean Vine
Hot Land
Pyramid Sands
Off-Roader
Lava Landing
King Dedede
Cool Cave
Green Greens
Gourmet Race

Jg82e.jpg

AkPP3.jpg

dwebo

Beautiful OP. I've never particularly liked past Kirby games, but will give this a shot at some point because it's just so damn pretty.

Penguin

Finally the thread is alive!

Was getting worried for a second. The game looked amazing since e3, but finally getting my hands on it at NYCC just showed how special it is. I also checked out a stream of it earlier, and it seems to keep up the charm and imagination even in the later levels.

I can't wait until Sunday. :D

andymcc

Banned
dwebo said:
Beautiful OP. I've never particularly liked past Kirby games, but will give this a shot at some point because it's just so damn pretty.

it wasn't originally conceptualized as a kirby game, perhaps this is why this title looks way better than usual. :lol

How does Kirby know what pants feel like? He doesn't even have legs.

Anyway, this is so precious it's like it was conjured out of a well of 10,000 teddy bear souls and the tears of a single albino kitten.

I'll be purchasing.

Adam J.

I'm torn; do I pick this up Sunday morning, or wait until next Tuesday so I can use my Kmart gift card towards it? I want to play it ASAP, but it would be even sweeter to get it $20 cheaper.

Penguin

nincompoop said:
Me neither :D

Any preorder/first week deals of note?

If I can read CAG correctly (sometimes people just speak so odd over there), Toys R Us is offering a $10 GC along with a strategy guide for the game.

Also, I believe Kmart (for anyone who has one) is offering a 20 dollar gaming coupon or something

Ashkeloth

This game looks great and adorable.

Thanks to NoE, I'll be able to play it 3 months minimum after everyone else has enjoyed it.

...And they wonder why people mod their Wii's?

man I could totally see yarn kirby in the next smash bros, along with an epic yarn stage. God I wish nintendo would release another smash bros. haha

Awesome OP!

Of all the games released this year, I've looked forward to this one the most by far. The game is so beautiful, and I <3 Kirby.

Top Bottom