• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Typos on game boxes

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is anyone else really interested in typos and mistakes on game boxes? Maybe I'm the only one that cares about things like that, but the MGS HD box says "3 epic MGS titles altogether for the first time ever!" Really?

This reminded me of the typo on the back of the Ocarina box for N64: "envirironments" or something similar.

Anyone else like looking through these kinds of things? Maybe it's the collector in me, but I always wonder how these things get through and if they reprint to fix (they did in Zelda's case).

bumpkin

I remember a friend of mine got one of the Dynasty Warrior games on PS2 and the spine seal on the top said "DANASTY WARRIORS."

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I really didn't expect them to say epic. I thought better of them.

Y2Kev said:
Is anyone else really interested in typos and mistakes on game boxes? Maybe I'm the only one that cares about things like that, but the MGS HD box says "3 epic MGS titles altogether for the first time ever!" Really?

This reminded me of the typo on the back of the Ocarina box for N64: "envirironments" or something similar.

Anyone else like looking through these kinds of things? Maybe it's the collector in me, but I always wonder how these things get through and if they reprint to fix (they did in Zelda's case).
It was 'enivironment'. I remember clearly because it caused me to misspell the word on an elementary school spelling test :/

This is from an apparent 2011 black Friday ps3 bundle

ps3-complete-entertainment-bundle-black-friday-2011.jpg

stereoscopic

Dug

Banned
There is one on the back of the Littlebigplanet 2 Collectors Edition Box! lemme find it....

EDIT: Here we go:
7' Sackboy Plush - your very own Sackboy to accompany you on your journey though LittleBigPlanet 2

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Y2Kev said:
Apparently the Dark Souls guide talks about Deus Ex 3 on the back?
That's just an insert, not on the actual guide itself. Though, the early retail versions of Dark Souls had a couple typos on the plastic sleeve. I wonder if Namco fixed those...

sakipon

NeoNess said:
Natsume misspelled their name in the title screen of Harvest Moon 64 :)

"Natume" always cracked me up.
Actually tsu can be romanized as tu. There are various ways of spelling Japanese in roman letters.

Stoffinator

Something along these lines, but Saints Row 2 on the PS3 says it has trophies. When it doesn't (Greatest Hits version).

Link1110

The back of the box for Ys 4 on PC Engine says "伝説の英雄か帰ってきた。" which means "The legendary hero? He has returned."

They meant "伝説の英雄が帰ってきた。" (The legendary hero has returned.)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
bumpkin said:
I remember a friend of mine got one of the Dynasty Warrior games on PS2 and the spine seal on the top said "DANASTY WARRIORS."
LOL

sakipon said:
Actually tsu can be romanized as tu. There are various ways of spelling Japanese in roman letters.
Yup. The Japanese program I'm in uses "tu" instead of "tsu".

Seik

Banned
Hah, the worst is these french translations we can find on some game boxes nowadays.

English: Epic boss battles featuring real-time cutscenes!
French: Batailles contre des patrons avec des scenes en temps réel!

The word 'boss' should really stay 'boss' instead of 'patron' which means 'boss' yes, but boss in a way of your job's boss. 'Patron' just feels so wrong. It's like they translated some of those directly on google. Well, things don't change!

I don't know if there is french GAFers here...if there is I'm sure they know what I mean.

mik83kuu

Banned
The original first US release of Final Fantasy VII on PS1 apparently has some sort of typo. I´ve seen it mentioned a few times on eBay to differentiate the first release from following releases where it was fixed.

Edit: It's actually just a misprint.

DarkAkatosh

Neo Member
On the PS3 version of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection at least, it says Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on a picture of Angel Island Zone.

Tenbatsu

This reminded me of the Asia MGS4 limited edition back cover, classic stuff.
aetowi.png

'Total 2,200 million copies worldwide' lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
mik83kuu said:
The original first US release of Final Fantasy VII on PS1 apparently has some sort of typo. I´ve seen it mentioned a few times on eBay to differentiate the first release from following releases where it was fixed.

Really? I don't remember that. I will have to look.

My aunt once bought me some clearly pirated game from Asia for like $2, figuring, what the hell, it's worth $2, and they misspelled Playstation as "PLAYSTATYON" and everything was wrong. The disc may have just been a clear plastic disc with a silver sticker on it.

mik83kuu said:

That can't be the first run. My copy is fine, and it's a first run.

i was about to say that maybe its because of lazy translation/localization jobs, until this post...
Link1110 said:
The back of the box for Ys 4 on PC Engine says "伝説の英雄か帰ってきた。" which means "The legendary hero? He has returned."

i don't read kanji(?), but damn it took me like 5 minutes just to notice the difference in those 2 phrases. hardly a typo that i'd be mad at.

Stoffinator said:
Something along these lines, but Saints Row 2 on the PS3 says it has trophies. When it doesn't (Greatest Hits version).

Also Little Big Planet for the PSP says it has trophies as well.

DTJAAAAM

Some of the end labels on Eliminator Boat Duel for the NES misspell the title as Elimonator Boat Duel. Same thing with Legends of the Diamond, calling it Legends of the Daimond.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
omg.kittens said:
LOL

Yup. The Japanese program I'm in uses "tu" instead of "tsu".
Your Japanese program is weird. Can anyone explain why tu would ever make sense?

Mature said:
okamibradymain.jpg

This comes to mind regarding print mistakes.
What I don't understand is, didn't Capcom make the cover art? How did this happen in the first place and why did they just cover it up with an orange sticker on later copies instead of using the original art or even photoshop it out?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
ihearthawthats said:
i was about to say that maybe its because of lazy translation/localization jobs, until this post...

i don't read kanji(?), but damn it took me like 5 minutes just to notice the difference in those 2 phrases. hardly a typo that i'd be mad at.
just because が and か look similar doesn't mean it's not a big error... In fact it's a bigger error than most of these English misspellings.

It's like the difference between:

This boy is wrong.

This boy ? Wrong.

JimboJones

Not a typo but my Sonic Mega Collection on Gamecube (player's choice) manual has no page 7, 8, 9, or 10. Instead it just has two sets of 11-14.

Pages 35-38 are also missing but contains another 31-34 in their place.

Dunno if it was just my copy or it was a widespread error.

Top Bottom