• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - Super Mario 3D World sells just 215k, has lowest attach rate of 3D Mario titles

Code:
	Hardware LTD		Mario 3D Sales		Attach Ratio

GCN	   2.120.000		       350.000		[B]16.5%[/B]
Wii	   6.000.000		     1.120.000		[B]18.7%[/B]
Wii U	 ~ 1.550.000		       215.000		[B]13.9%[/B]

Thanks to Captain Smoker for compiling the data.

Points that Nintendo need to address.

Why the fuck is the attach rate so low. Surely right now only the most hardcore Nintendo fans are buying the console and that should mean ultra high adoption rates for big first party titles like SM3DW aimed specifically at hardcore players.

I expected SM3DW to have an attach rate of around 25% because the type of buyer that currently owns Wii U. This is a shock, even to me and I'm pretty down on Nintendo.

I don't know where they go from here if even 3D Mario isn't able to shit software units to the current owner base.

Tuck

Its the console, not the game. Unfortunately.

I don't think the Wii U can be redeemed at this point. The branding was just awful.

Xav

How many of those Wii U LTD sales actually indicate an active user base? There's your answer.

I'm just sad to see one of the best games of the year (probably GOTY actually) do badly because the idiots at Nintendo fucked up the Wii U.

Nintendo developers deserve better than this, at this point all their games are being sent to die.

Necrovex

Should we expect the Wii U to be the next Dreamcast? We'll look back at it years from now and romanticize how wonderful it was?

I picked up a Wii U this past month for X-mas, and I am excited as hell to play my copy of Wonderful 101, Mario 3D World, NSMBU, Zombi U, and Monster Hunter 3 U. Even if the system goes belly under, I will have some wonderful games to play until I get a PS4 in 2015.

coopolon

They've ridden Mario into the ground these last couple years. Give the poor guy a break.

Also, how does galaxy 2 Factor into those numbers?

I'd give it until the end of December. The Wii U itself will bomb miserably but I know in December the store I work at has sold more of 3D World than any other console game we carry, plus it only had 8 days in November. It still has hope, although the console it's on does not.

Tuck

Definitely the console and not the game. $250, eat the losses, put out GAMES /end

Don't even think that will work.

The branding is *awful.* Just absolutely terrible.

Consumers think its an add-on to the Wii, and so its selling like one.

I don't think it's the game's problem, or Mario in general. If more people had Wii U's, more copies would have sold.

That's fine and I agree, but the attach ratio is actually worse than SMG on Wii which had a bunch of casual players. Nintendo are struggling to sell a hardcore game to a hardcore audience. Something is going very wrong for them right now.

Omzz

This is very concerning and don't think Nintendo can do anything to turn this console around. Sure games wise I am satisfied but if they continue like this I don't see them making consoles for much longer.

Best to ride this storm and try again in a few years

Guevara

I'll be picking this title up when the console and this title go on fire sale.

It's sad because I actually do want to play this game, but owning a Nintendo console just for Nintendo games isn't worth if for me anymore. You're right, maybe this and a few other titles at the fire sale.

This actually makes sense to me. Lots of people bought Wii U's and then just abandoned the console and are not going to buy ANY new games that come out for it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow. The attach rate pretty much swings out the last possibility of somehow defending the mess that is the Wii U.

Mario title can't even be pushed like it has before.

MrDaravon

Nintendo overdid the platformers.

As much as Mario 3D world was a fantastic game, he needs a damn break.

This. Even I had written the game off as looking like more of the same as 3D Land until people wouldn't shut up about it post-release. Regardless of it's quality I never even glanced whatsoever at NSMB Wii U as they've already run that series into the ground for me.

They're kinda totally fucked if the console is utterly bombing, and even the super hardcore that do own the system aren't even picking this up. They've fucked up the Wii U from every conceivable angle (I still have co-workers who don't realize it's a different system, one of them just bought their kids 3D World thinking it's a regular Wii game lol). They have to cut their losses and get out a new system sooner then they probably wanted, it doesn't seem like the system can even coast as a moderate success from a 1st party angle.

Tuck

Nintendo overdid the platformers.

As much as Mario 3D world was a fantastic game, he needs a damn break.

Doubtful. Theres no legitimate reason to believe this is the case. 3D Land sold amazingly well. As did Mario Kart 7 - they saved the 3DS.

Its the console, not the game.

That's fine and I agree, but the attach ratio is actually worse than SMG on Wii which had a bunch of casual players. Nintendo are struggling to sell a hardcore game to a hardcore audience. Something is going very wrong for them right now.

That's definitely not good. Obviously a bigger install base would have helped sales, but you would think that most Wii U owners are starving for a game like Mario 3D World.

:(

they have a pretty good line up for next year

Edit:There is a 1 million user base in the US what did they buy their console for?
(unless the sold it off already and/or used the money on another console)

kadotsu

Banned
Well deserved. It is IMO the 3D Mario with the worst core mechanics. Fuck the charge run and the over-reliance on suits.

The console is toxic right now. Its better to lower the price to a bare profit margin and start focusing on a more powerful console. work with valve maybe

Hexa

I don't think it's the game's problem, or Mario in general. If more people had Wii U's, more copies would have sold.

That's not the issue. If more people have Wii Us and more copies get sold as it's a ratio it would still be the same. Rather, if more people had Wii Us I'd expect it to actually go down as I like zomgbbqftw expect only the most dedicated Nintendo fans to have Wii Us at this point while the ones that haven't yet aren't that dedicated. Or at least... that's what I thought.

What the hell are Wii U owners doing with their Wii Us if they're not buying this? It's not like they have a vast library of other great games they could be playing. Have they completely forgotten that it exists and they have one?

I'm just very confused. :/

Banned
Code:
	Hardware LTD		Mario 3D Sales		Attach Ratio

GCN	   2.120.000		       350.000		[B]16.5%[/B]
Wii	   6.000.000		     1.120.000		[B]18.7%[/B]
Wii U	 ~ 1.550.000		       215.000		[B]13.9%[/B]

Thanks to Captain Smoker for compiling the data.

Points that Nintendo need to address.

Why the fuck is the attach rate so low. Surely right now only the most hardcore Nintendo fans are buying the console and that should mean ultra high adoption rates for big first party titles like SM3DW aimed specifically at hardcore players.

I expected SM3DW to have an attach rate of around 25% because the type of buyer that currently owns Wii U. This is a shock, even to me and I'm pretty down on Nintendo.

I don't know where they go from here if even 3D Mario isn't able to shit software units to the current owner base.
Well people like me but it in December for Christmas gifts. Let's wait for December NPD.

braves01

Banned
I don't think it's as great as most people do, but I bought it.

Hopefully Iwata finally gives consumers and shareholders the Mario runner on mobile that everyone's been asking for.

Griss

The hardware is the problem, and has been since the beginning.

But as OP says, the crazy thing is how many WiiUs must have been put in the closet by now. If you have a WiiU and you aren't buying 3D World, what the hell are you doing with it?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
In Relation the difference isn't that big between the debuts, especially when you consider that on WiiU you already had NSMB U and Luigi U - while the 3D Plattformer used to be the only Mario Plattformer for a while in Nintendo home consoles.

That's not the issue. If more people have Wii Us and more copies get sold as it's a ratio it would still be the same. Rather, if more people had Wii Us I'd expect it to actually go down as I like zomgbbqftw expect only the most dedicated Nintendo fans to have Wii Us at this point while the ones that haven't yet aren't that dedicated. Or at least... that's what I thought./

Yeah, I agree. It's pretty scary.

The Wii had the highest adaption rate actually (GCN is lower too, despite being more "hardcore").

I don't think it has that much to do with the demographics of the audience, but more with "too much Mario platformers in a short timeframe", despite the fact that 3D World is an excellent game.

ertrtrbp35.png

+ New Super Luigi U

They spammed a lot of Mario titles to enhance 3DS/Wii U sales.

Top Bottom