• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

Aizo

Banned
I'd chock a lot of that up to Waid writing a lot of books at the moment. Plus I suppose the Champion's rubbed some people the wrong way (Haven't read it for art reasons). His Avengers run hasn't been stellar but that seems less like a writing quality issue and more of direction issue, from it being pulled every which way by event tie-ins.
Chalk.

Aizo

Banned
No sarcasm, Thank you for the correction.
I didn't know that chock was a word, so you taught me something, too!

Is this your first time in the comics threads? Berserk fan, eh? I own 39 volumes and an info book in Japanese. I love Berserk so much.
Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your username.

Some Nobody

I mean, Archie is still good, Daredevil was good, and I think Captain America will be good, but Champions has been a waste of opportunity from top to bottom. And Avengers has been an average run, like a Fabian Nicieza run: you know, the runs that aren't bad, but not memorable or groundbreaking.

I actually find Champions pretty decent. His Avengers is just "okay" though, which is surprising considering how great his JLA run is said to be.

BTW, Fabian Nicieza shade? I thought he did good writing Red Robin before it got canceled. And I understand his Cable and Deadpool series was excellent?

Only things I'm hyped for are Rucka's Wonder Woman deluxe, Kirby's Fourth World omnibus and the JL International Omnibus. Bought the first two days ago, and now patiently waiting and saving up money to afford the other two lmao.

To nobody's surprise, this is my favorite comic moment:

569f64a524178b2e3663999e644b32ba.jpg

Taskmaster actually caring so much about his wife he pushes himself harder than ever before to stay alive - even though he knows doing so'll force him to forget she even exists.

Dalek

One of my favorite moments was when Foggy Nelson got Matt a special birthday present. He invested in this experimental technology that allows the blind to see for a very limited period of time - and he had a videotape of one of Matt’s dad boxing matches. It’s really sweet.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The Death of Hawkman was dope - gonna dig into Snyder’s Batman with some football on.

Any completed Rebirth books / one shots I should check out?

The Death of Hawkman was dope - gonna dig into Snyder’s Batman with some football on.

Did you ever read Ostrander’s classic Suicide Squad? He did a pretty great one-shot at the start of Rebirth.

Ross61

Midnighter and Apollo
Raven
Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love
The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom
Supergirl Being Super

jon bones

Did you ever read Ostrander’s classic Suicide Squad? He did a pretty great one-shot at the start of Rebirth.

no i missed that

Midnighter and Apollo
Raven
Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love
The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom
Supergirl Being Super

thanks! i forhot i’ve been meaning to do Planetary -> Midnighter -> Midnighter & Apollo for a while

The old man Logan tp still sells really well.
It’s sort of a joke at this point. ”What bestsellers haven’t we done sequels or prequels to yet?” Deadpool Kills getting another miniseries despite the ones after the first one not selling as well was pushing it but now it’s a parody.

The intent for Old Man Hawkeye is a mini, so it's not that big of a deal. Now if they had announced it as is and we weren't sure, then I'd be confused.

jon bones

i think it’s just the “tightness” to the wayne family & grayson family that is revealed in book 1 - feels a little too cute on snyders part.

i am liking book 2 more, tbh, how scary and threatening they seem to be. plus i guess it has been a while since a new rogue was so tightly connected to the wayne family - hush may have been my last one.

Slimebeherit

Neo Member
I didn't know that chock was a word, so you taught me something, too!

Is this your first time in the comics threads? Berserk fan, eh? I own 39 volumes and an info book in Japanese. I love Berserk so much.
Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your username.

Heh, same here, I own the series +the info book in Japanese. Hoping one day I will be able to read it but my Japanese learning is slow going. And yea It's my favorite comic series. Nah you got the name right, the name is a mix of Berserk and my other favorite thing, Dragon Quest, as is my avatar as well.

It was my first time exploring the non-gaming section of Gaf, so I was delighted to find this comic thread.

Aizo

Banned
Heh, same here, I own the series +the info book in Japanese. Hoping one day I will be able to read it but my Japanese learning is slow going. And yea It's my favorite comic series. Nah you got the name right, the name is a mix of Berserk and my other favorite thing, Dragon Quest, as is my avatar as well.

It was my first time exploring the non-gaming section of Gaf, so I was delighted to find this comic thread.
Do you live in Japan, too??
My manga collection is killing me. I have 25kg of ハルタ!! 殺してくれよ ごめんね!酔ってるから日本語で話してる やばいな

My manga collection is killing me. I have 25kg of ハルタ!! 殺してくれよ ごめんね!酔ってるから日本語で話してる やばいな

Oh drunk Aizo

Slimebeherit

Neo Member

Nah, I live in the Los Angeles, which has a Kinokuniya near by so I was able to buy the series in Japanese. As for Manga, I don't actually read much, the only other series I've read and enjoyed beginning to end are Akira, Pluto and Yotsuba! Other series just continue to lose me midway (Monster, Deatnote, 20th Century Boy, Vagabond).

Yeah my Japanese is no good, I can only make out that your saying something about speaking Japanese...man I need to hit the books!

Vic_Viper

Any recommendations for good, recent horror books to read for October? Been wanting to checkout Nailbitter for awhile now but not sure if that can be considered horror.

Vic_Viper

Afterlife with Archie? Outcast?

Read the first like 9 or 10 issues of Outcast. It was good but just wasn't my jam.

Never read American Vampire, might finally check that out.

How was Necrosha? Blackest Night was still going when it came out and never checked it out. Does it basically take place during Yost's X-Force run?

Messi

Read the first like 9 or 10 issues of Outcast. It was good but just wasn't my jam.

How was Necrosha? Blackest Night was still going when it came out and never checked it out. Does it basically take place during Yost's X-Force run?

Rachel Rising

Aizo

Banned
Oh drunk Aizo
I’m sorry hahahaha. My friends had a party for me tonight, so I drank wine, whiskey, and nihonshu.

Don’t blame me. Blame them.
Nah, I live in the Los Angeles, which has a Kinokuniya near by so I was able to buy the series in Japanese. As for Manga, I don't actually read much, the only other series I've read and enjoyed beginning to end are Akira, Pluto and Yotsuba! Other series just continue to lose me midway (Monster, Deatnote, 20th Century Boy, Vagabond).

Yeah my Japanese is no good, I can only make out that your saying something about speaking Japanese...man I need to hit the books!
まあ 教えてあげるよ、日本語! (☝︎ ՞ਊ ՞)☝︎ 酔っ払ったら絶対教えるぞw

I wouldn't recommend Necrosha, if only because it's an X-Force by Kyle and Yost storyline. Just read that book instead, since you effectively get the entire Necrosha story in there.

I mean, I never read X-Necrosha, but I read Kyle and Yost X-Force and was like, "Wait that's its own event? Why?" It's a good storyline, just can't recommend spending money on a separate event.

jon bones

i loved American Vampire, that would make a fun Halloween read

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
私は翻訳するときに私は日本語を話すことができます

Messi

Azio are there any horror based authentic Japanese comics/manga with a near future based slant. Something like Tokyo Ghost but scary. I'm also looking for something with a mystical based book kinda like Wayward.

Aizo

Banned
私は翻訳するときに私は日本語を話すことができます
へー 以外だね! なんか翻訳アプリ使ったの、Einchy?? あれ狡いよ!アプリでもないとごめんね 知らなかったね、日本語が分かるって どうして知ってんの?
Aizo are there any horror based authentic Japanese comics/manga with a near future based slant. Something like Tokyo Ghost but scary.
There’s Fourteen, which is written by the famous Umezu Kazuo, who lives like a 4 minute walk from me. That series is a little bit silly... because of the villain. If you really want Japanese horror, I genuinely love Itou Junji, but most of his series are contemporary in terms of setting. Sci-fi Horror is quite uncommon as far as I can remember.

Top Bottom