• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FedEx lost my vintage games

So, I was minding my own business relocating my stuff back home before moving to Japan last month, and had to ship some things as my car couldn't hold very much. Of the boxes I shipped, one didn't show up: it contained half of my NES games, nearly all of my Super NES games, and all of my Dreamcast games. To wit...

NES

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Millipede
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos
Pinball
Rad Racer
River City Ransom
Simpsons: Bart vs. the Space Mutants
Solstice
Spy Hunter
Startropics
Startropics II: Zoda's Revenge
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
Super Team Games
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game
Tetris
Track & Field II
Volleyball
Wizards & Warriors II: Iron Sword
World Class Track Meet
Yo! Noid

Super NES

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fight
F-Zero
Killer Instinct
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mario Paint
Pilotwings
Sim City
Star Fox
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid
Super Scope 6
Tetris 2

Dreamcast

Dead or Alive 2
Phantasy Star Online
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur
Space Channel 5
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter III: Third Strike

All of these, plus DVD boxsets of Azumanga Daioh and Haibane Renmei.

All told, I figure it'll cost over $1000 to replace everything. Many of these carts I'd had since childhood. I filed a claim with FedEx, but they only cut me a check for the declared value of $100; I didn't want to attract undue attention and make it a target for theft. FedEx claims service is trained to be as unhelpful as possible. So, now I'm all pissed off and out $900.

Just thought I'd vent.

DiddyBop

sucks,but you should've claimed for the whole value of it also. its both your faults.still really sucks though. on the brightside,now you can fully appreciate next gen.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Cheesemeister said:
I filed a claim with FedEx, but they only cut me a check for the declared value of $100; I didn't want to attract undue attention and make it a target for theft.

Why ?

Even if its stolen, you can at least get the real value money back. Sure it will suck to find and buy those games again but hey.

That sucks, but that collection definately isn't worth $1,000 (but still more than $100). Just look up all those games on ebay and get to bidding... If you have a 360 or PS2 there are better alternatives to many of those games now too (Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, Street Fighter Anniversary Edition, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Soul Calibur (XBLA), Space Channel 5 Part 2 SE, TMNT (XBLA), GBA versions of most of those NES and some SNES games) etc...).

Petrie

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
I filed a claim with FedEx, but they only cut me a check for the declared value of $100; I didn't want to attract undue attention and make it a target for theft.

Yeah, that's kinda on you for claiming the value was much less than it was. This is why you're asked for a value. It isn't so they can steal the most valuable packages.

It's just very frustrating, as the clerks never explain what happens in the event of loss. I'd imagine it's bad for their business.

SlaughterX said:
That sucks, but that collection definately isn't worth $1,000 (but still more than $100). Just look up all those games on ebay and get to bidding...

I looked up actual replacement costs on eBay for the original carts/discs themselves. A price you buy a game at will almost always be higher than what you can sell it for.

Cheesemeister said:
Super NES

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fight
F-Zero
Killer Instinct
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mario Paint
Pilotwings
Sim City
Star Fox
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid
Super Scope 6
Tetris 2

They raped you hard.

Artadius

castaway22.jpg

larvi

Ouch...sorry to hear. But that brings up a good question about the value of older video games in the event of a loss or theft. I highly doubt insurance companies would pay a premium due to them being collectable or rare. Has anyone had experience with that?

loosus

Banned
Okay, I would fucking flip out no matter what it was. How the fuck does something go missing?

I'd take it a step further, if I were you. Seriously. $100 is insulting. Keep in mind that IT SHOULD NOT HAVE WENT MISSING TO BEGIN WITH.

Petrie

Banned
loosus said:
Okay, I would fucking flip out no matter what it was. How the fuck does something go missing?

I'd take it a step further, if I were you. Seriously. $100 is insulting. Keep in mind that IT SHOULD NOT HAVE WENT MISSING TO BEGIN WITH.

Yes, but these things do happen. People are not all good and moral, and mistakes do happen. Had the OP done his part and claimed the real value of his items, the issue would have been resolved as best as one could hope for. He did not, and now why should FedEx believe his items were worth that much?

Leonsito

Lost my ass, what's that box easy to open for checking what's inside ?

Do you have the names of the people that were in charge of it?

If the declared value was the $1000 that it should be the problem would be the same, I would be mad if I lose games from my childhood, no money could replace that.

loosus said:

Believe me, upset doesn't begin to describe it, especially given that list.

What should I do, sue? I'm told attorneys require a $3000 retainer or some such nonsense. It's also particularly difficult to do from Japan.

Leonsito said:
Lost my ass, what's that box easy to open for checking what's inside ?

Do you have the names of the people that were in charge of it?

They're just some random clerks at a FedEx Kinko's. Maybe one of them didn't like me and felt like robbing me.

inner-G

Banned
Petrie said:
Yeah, that's kinda on you for claiming the value was much less than it was. This is why you're asked for a value. It isn't so they can steal the most valuable packages.
This.

I work in an area where people have to declare values for stuff, it is always for their protection, and if it is something truly valuable to you, you should pay a little extra to insure it.

Sucks it happened to your carts though. That's horrible. You have my condolences.

rkenshin

I believe the $100 is because that's the "free" insurance they give.. You need to pay more for insurance to cover your actual declared value (if you actually declared that value and not lied)

Husker86

loosus said:

$100 is what the package was valued at by the customer (it's the default value, but still). How is FedEX responsible for reimbursing him for more than what the package was valued at? If your package's contents are worth $1,000 then you tell the shipping company you want it insured for $1,000.......

shuri

Banned
ALWAYS declare the real value of packages, so if it gets stoled, at least you'll get the real value back..

botticus

larvi said:
Ouch...sorry to hear. But that brings up a good question about the value of older video games in the event of a loss or theft. I highly doubt insurance companies would pay a premium due to them being collectable or rare. Has anyone had experience with that?
Well, usually your insurance covers "replacement value." What's sort of unclear is what happens if you can't walk into a store to buy something. I was never able to get a really good answer out of my insurance agent when discussing the matter, but I imagine you could put up a fight to use eBay as "replacement value."

Sorry to hear Cheese.

Artadius said:

Somewhere in the Pacific Ocean............

Castaway: Let's see here.. a bunch of old games?! How am I going to play these with no system?

Somewhere in Japan......

OP: What!? They didn't ship my old games!? How am I going to play this Super NES without any games!?

$100 is what the package was valued at by the customer (it's the default value, but still). How is FedEX responsible for reimbursing him for more than what the package was valued at? If your package's contents are worth $1,000 then you tell the shipping company you want it insured for $1,000.......

THIS. It's your own damn fault.

itsgreen

Husker86 said:

Exactly...

Its really crappy that FedEx lost your box, but you should have just marked the right value...

snacknuts

we all knew her
loosus said:

It should not have gone missing, for sure, but the $100 reimbursement is his own fault. He tried to skimp on the shipping costs and is paying for his frugality.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Cheesemeister said:
It's just very frustrating, as the clerks never explain what happens in the event of loss. I'd imagine it's bad for their business.

well I don't know how FedEx operates, but most carriers don't have it in their possession door to door. A number of sub companies could have handled your package. An investigation would take a lot of resources I'd assume.

The shipping industry is terrible, especially for the individual consumer.

Petrie

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
What should I do, sue?

Sue for what? They are paying you the value you declared for the items. They can't simply trust people will be honest about the value of an item if it comes up missing, which is why you have to declare before, and also pay a bit extra for insurance on expensive items. You were dishonest and now you have to accept that that's costing you in the long run.

Maybe you really did only claim they were worth less because you didn't want to be a target for theft, but to FedEx there are only 2 possibilities:

1. You lied to avoid paying the extra fees in order to insure your items.

2. You are lying now that your items are missing in order to be paid more than they are worth.

Either way, accept it and move on. FedEx may have made a mistake but they have compensated you exactly as they should.

LiK

OP, everything was in one package? it would've been wiser to shipped them out in several packages so you wouldn't lose everything in one box.

The Faceless Master said:
so how much money did you save by using $100 as the declared value instead of $1000, and was it worth it in the end?

You know what they say.....penny wise, pound foolish.

LiK said:
OP, everything was in one package? it would've been wiser to shipped them out in several packages so you wouldn't lose everything in one box.

I dropped off 3 packages with FedEx that day, one of which contained my PS3. I claimed that one at $500. =P

I must've shipped 8 boxes in total, through FedEx and USPS.

jvalioli

LiK said:
He split up his game in several packages and they lost one which contained the games listed.

Zophar

You're lucky that Super Mario RPG is the only one in that list of substantive value. Everything else has depreciated greatly from their MSRB.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Cheesemeister said:
I filed a claim with FedEx, but they only cut me a check for the declared value of $100; I didn't want to attract undue attention and make it a target for theft. FedEx claims service is trained to be as unhelpful as possible. So, now I'm all pissed off and out $900.
I feel for you man, BUT you should have filed the declared value for the correct amount. Regular driver's don't have access to that information, it isn't printed anywhere on the label (provided you use a computer generated label) and you would have gotten your money back.

Again, I feel really bad, but you really should have filled out declared value for the correct amount.

edit - and just so people don't think I am being a dick, for those who don't know I run my own internet business and ship probably 300-400 packages a month. every single one of those packages I have to ask myself "What's the worst this is going to cost me if it ends up getting disintegrated." And if you're not running a business you should still be asking yourself that question. Never skimp on insurance on shipping. If you're questioning if you should get insurance or not, get it. Because if you don't THAT'S when your package will get lost or damaged.

Petrie

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
I dropped off 3 packages with FedEx that day, one of which contained my PS3. I claimed that one at $500. =P

So wait, you were ok with having your PS3 declared at a $500 value, making it an easy target for theft, but not declaring your games at $1000, making them a target for theft? This logic makes no sense to me.

Petrie said:
So wait, you were ok with having your PS3 declared at a $500 value, making it an easy target for theft, but not declaring your games at $1000, making them a target for theft? This logic makes no sense to me.

It was also my last day packing up before leaving town, it was hot as hell, and I was tired from hauling boxes and in a hurry. Not much logic remaining at that point.

LiK

Cheesemeister said:

hmmm, i c. well, i would've posted the real declared value for them then. since you said you got a family discount, spending a lil more wouldn't have hurt.

maybe the package will end up arriving later. i think i've had one package from FedEx lost in their system but it arrived later. FedEx is usually pretty good so this is quite rare.

LiK said:
hmmm, i c. well, i would've posted the real declared value for them then. since you said you got a family discount, spending a lil more wouldn't have hurt.

Full price.

shidoshi said:
I've always had far better luck with FedEx versus UPS. But, the family discount I get from FedEx doesn't hurt either.

Top Bottom