• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo TVii coming (to Japan?) 12/8

Hobby

On 12/8, Nintendo will jointly deploy (with IPG) "Nintendo TVii", the electronic TV listings service that will create a new relationship between Wii U and watching television by using the TV screen along with the 6.2 inch touchscreen on the Wii U Gamepad. Nintendo has tied a partnership contract with regards to the usage of Syndicated G Guide with IPG, the Interactive Program Guide company that offers the G Guide service that was developed with Rovi Corp.'s electronic TV listings (EPG) as a base.

Site translation:

Easily enjoy a more fulfilled TV life
- By using the gamepad you can easily call up various information regarding television programs at any time with Nintendo TVii.

Check TV listings at any time while watching TV
- Using the gamepad, one can easily check for TV listings while watching TV. Nintendo TVii can also be used even when not watching TV or while you're in the middle of playing a game.

Comfortably check detailed information concerning TV programs
- Selecting a TV program from the program listings will allow you to view its contents, performing actors and actresses, and related programs. In addition, by clicking on the actor or actress, you can also view detailed information, such as their profile along with additional programs that they are scheduled to appear in.

If you want to change channels through Nintendo TVii in Japan, you have to buy 100-yen DLC to unlock the feature. Or, just use the GamePad's TV remote feature instead.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/features/tvii/index.html

You can quickly find the program you're looking for, a program to watch soon, or a certain person
- Displaying the list of currently airing shows will allow you to search for shows that you can watch soon, along with searching from keyboards, such as a show's genre or a person's name, to find a program or person you're looking for.

Discover new shows and learn of recommendations.
- By adding shows, people, or genres to your favorites list, recommendations will analyze your inclinations towards shows, then introduce you to shows as recommendations, based on your and your family's tastes.

Nintendo TVii overview on the JP site:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/features/tvii/index.html

Press release:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2012/121127.html

Jonnyram

Is this the same service as the West? It says that you'll just be downloading info about TV programs to your Wii U, which can be viewed on the gamepad while watching the actual TV program on your main TV.

It says that you'll just be downloading info about TV programs to your Wii U, which can be viewed on the gamepad while watching the actual TV program on your main TV.

Xzibit_OH_EXPLOITABLE1.jpg

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah this is completely different from the NA TVii. Pretty interesting to me, really, that such different pieces of software, both from different development houses, are being put in the system under the exact same name in different regions.

This JP one definitely looks more in line with the overall Wu software aesthetic, too, while the NA one is much more XBOXey.

HMMM!!!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
No matter how many times I read this I still can't comprehend what it means.
My understanding is if you want to change a TV channel through the JP version of TVii you have to pay 100yen to purchase a DLC unlock key that unlocks the ability. If you don't want to pay the 100yen, you can still change the channel but only by switching the gamepad to the TV remote app (not the same thing as TVii).

Hobby

My understanding is if you want to change a TV channel through the JP version of TVii you have to pay 100yen to purchase a DLC unlock key that unlocks the ability. If you don't want to pay the 100yen, you can still change the channel but only by switching the gamepad to the TV remote app (not the same thing as TVii).
This. A button will be added to Nintendo TVii that lets you change the channel within it if you buy the DLC. The button is shown here.

nd0Gk.jpg

TV is so bad in Japan I can't even be bothered to buy the 100 yen aerial cable necessary to hook up my 42" LCD. I refuse to pay NHK's license fee but don't mind paying for the local Hulu service (though that could definitely do with being beefed up a little). Anyone know if Wii U has Hulu in Japan? I got it on 360 so just wondered.

Juice

So is Tvii in Japan basically a totally different app?

Seems that way.

And I guess it makes sense, since NONE of Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, and Netflix Instant are available in Japan.

blamite

I like the look of this one a lot better. The US version seems to have a much better feature set but the design is awful, it's super obvious is was made by NoA trying to do Microsoft's metro look and not by the people who made the rest of the Wii U apps.

Top Bottom