• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

MrBig

How are the pillars support structures? Link to what? Isn't the "star" in the center of the entire thing?

Page 8 of the GI article. They don't specifically state that they are support structures, but I assume that they are, based on their description of them. The sphere is not a traditional dyson sphere either, according to the GI article, as it is the size of planet and does not contain a star.

Page 8 of the GI article. They don't specifically state that they are support structures, but I assume that they are, based on their description of them. The sphere is not a traditional dyson sphere either, according to the GI article, as it is the size of planet and does not contain a star.
I'm just trying to picture the structure in my head. Where is "up" in relation to the structure? Those kinds of questions.

Trey

and sometimes I think KyleJ would love a Halo game where it's all flat purple Sega Saturn textures as long as its 60 fps

As often as I disagree with the guy, it's an admirable stance to have. Gameplay performance and funcionality > graphics. Too bad that's not true for the average gamer.

MrBig

I'm just trying to picture the structure in my head. Where is "up" in relation to the structure? Those kinds of questions.

I would assume that the pillars are going to provide a relative up/down for the player, with them creating a sort of consistent north/south pole and not being at arbitrary angles. So if you were on the inner equator you see them arranged in front of you, as opposed to coming up from the ground below you. I'll make a quick 3D mock up that will probably be completely wrong and hopefully frank will correct it.

kylej

Banned
Perhaps

and sometimes I think KyleJ would love a Halo game where it's all flat purple Sega Saturn textures as long as its 60 fps

I like pretty maps, but 343 and Bungie fall way too in love with their own ideas and you end up with stuff like Highlands and Spire. Too big, too boring, too crappy. Or on a small scale you get stuff like Blackout or Orbital or Condemned. Too complicated, or too dazzling to the eye, or both. Valhalla, Pit, Lockout, Midship, etc. all the best maps are aesthetically pleasing and easy to play on. Would Pit have been better with a random mech being built in it? Nope. How about Midship? Nope. Would Valhalla have been better with a thick fog hanging over it? Nope. Please no superfluous stuff that makes the game suffer.

Arnie

The reason I'm looking forward to Spartan Ops is my leisure time to play games has decreased so drastically in the last five years, and I don't really have the time to sit down and bash through an 8 hour co-operative campaign in one sitting like I used to.

The idea of getting a new, high quality, co-operative Halo snack to digest for around 45 minutes each week with my friends is incredibly powerful to me. It's something I wish we saw more in games, and I honestly think we will as the industry matures.

Has Frankie or David posted anymore soothing points of clarification in the last 12 hours whilst I've been sleeping? The last thing I saw was David declaring that instant respawn wouldn't be included in Objective gametypes.

I would assume that the pillars are going to provide a relative up/down for the player, with them creating a sort of consistent north/south pole and not being at arbitrary angles. So if you were on the inner equator you see them arranged in front of you, as opposed to coming up from the ground below you. I'll make a quick 3D mock up that will probably be completely wrong and hopefully frank will correct it.

Ooh! Can't wait to see it.

From what i understood of the scans is that we have a planet(The scans are also talking about a new planet.) inside the dyson sphere instead of a star. The roof is the inner side/shell of the Dyson sphere. The roof could still be 11~120 km from the planets surface. Im going from info on wikipedia about height of the atmosphere here on earth. If i keep on using info on a earth size planet then the Dyson sphere or Requiem as its called could have a diameter of 12~13k from inner shell surface to the side inner shell surface. Maybe the Dyson sphere also regulate day and night cycle with artificial light from the inner shell.

Karl2177

So having re-read it and having clarification on what Infinity actually is I have a quick list of things that I want to point out.

• Multiplayer progression will occur no matter what mode you're playing in matchmaking. This means we could have a "classic" mode and we would still be able to rank up in the new H4 mode.
  • Assassinations appear to be back. Whether or not these things will be togglable like HaloGAF wants is unknown.
  • Regicide seems like Juggernaut and Headhunter had some form of twisted child. It really doesn't sound that appealing to me.
  • That little icon over the radar on the last page of the article looks like the ordinance icon from Firefight. I'd be willing to be that is our indicator for the random drops.
  • The DMR looks good, but the square around the scope seems odd.
  • Earlier we speculated what the numbers on the medals meant. They could very easily mean Spartan points.

I'm gonna assume you can earn SPs in the campaign like credits in Reach.

That is, if it's not SUPER-CEREAL STORYTELLING this time and they cut all that out. I'm two minds about those first-person narrative stuff GI talked about. I think it's a neat idea that we get to do more awesome Chief stuff in first-person...but it probably plays out the same way every time. One of the things that makes the good Halo campaigns(whichever those are to you) so replayable is that with the sandbox of combat and the varied challenging AI you can tackle situations in different ways, on different difficulties.

Do these narrative moments have that kind of depth, or they essentially unskippable cutscenes? Stuff like that really kills a lot of the replayablity of CoD or UC3, or even Halo 3 where the game will slow down for SUPER CRYPTIC CORTANA I AM A MONUMENT TO ALL YOUR SINS. That's one of the (many) reasons "Cortana" sucked in Halo 3, every time you get through a door, BLARGH I'M GRAVEMIND I WILL KNOW ALL THAT I POSSES!

MrBig

Ooh! Can't wait to see it.

h4ds.jpg

My best guess as to how it works out

Woorloog

Banned
$10 on that being exactly how it is, you start off with a huge flat box and you build around that and change the skybox and weather.....

It better happen!

The game should include Forge 3.0 which is used to tweak maps and then a full blown map editor set on that holodeck...

wwm0nkey

The game should include Forge 3.0 which is used to tweak maps and then a full blown map editor set on that holodeck...

If it doesn't have a full blown map editor I will be sad :(

Considering Forge was the first announced feature of 4 I assume a lot of work has gone into it.

My best guess as to how it works out

So you're actually bolting the planet in place in the dyson sphere?.
I don't think the concept art shows that. They look more like the forerunners version of skyscrapers.

If it doesn't have a full blown map editor I will be sad :(

Considering Forge was the first announced feature of 4 I assume a lot of work has gone into it.

Hope we get something like the Trials Evolution one.

MrBig

So you're actually bolting the planet in place in the dyson sphere?.
I don't think the concept art shows that. They look more like the forerunners version of skyscrapers.

I really don't know, and made a guess based off of what I read. I thought they were some sort of building at first too until I read the article with them being omnipresent structures.

We only know of one – Prometheans – and neither Forerunner book has heavily implied different classes of fighting Forerunners. The GI information made it out to be a "new Covenant." I just don't see it.

To me, after re-reading the article, I think we will be fighting über sentinels, ready to protect Requiem.

"We wanted to create a set of enemies that work together in collaborative way, where each one of those enemies builds on and accentuates the abilities of the others. So when you face an individual enemy they offer one challenge, but as you layer those enemies together it changes the experience in important ways and heightens the challenge".

It is also very adaptive, each Sentinel transmitting its combat footage to an unknown intelligence that continually upgrades Onyx Sentinel combat algorithms. As per a Spartan: "We are teaching it how to fight." The Onyx Sentinels can also merge together for a variety of purposes, such as combining to increase firepower and shield strength, architectural purposes, and forming clusters to protect Onyx. Even a pair of Sentinels is exponentially more dangerous than a lone one, as a pair, unlike individual Sentinels, can activate its shields and fire its energy weapon at the same time.

Onyx Sentinels are also known to have other specific tasks beside combat, much like other types of Sentinels. Because of their modular shape, they can transform into several different types of configurations. For example, they can interlace into oblong-shaped formations, which are used for excavating and earth-moving.

JonCha

Talking with my friends about the changes earlier, I argued that the changes should vary between playlists. I felt Reach was a mess because it tried to change everything at once, and it didn't work. Instant respawns out of Objective, but in BTB? Make sense. No Sprint when using rockets, snipe or shotgun (or any power weapon)? Make sense.

The only thing my friends and friends' friends seem to be concerned about right now are drop pods. They're saying timing weapon spawns is a key aspect of Halo. I disagreed, but they're very worried about that. Add the X-Ray ability to that too, which they said cold drive then away from the game.

I really don't know, and made a guess based off of what I read. I thought they were some sort of building at first too until I read the article with them being omnipresent structures.

Oke i read the scans again and it seems to me the Forerunners just build on both the planet surface and the inner shell.
You dont need to bolt the planet in place.
If the dyson sphere artificial gravity is as strong as the planets gravity they should keep each other in place.
So i wouldn't be surprised if we have levels on the planets surface and on the inner shell should be really interesting if we got level on the inner shell your sky would be the planet surface :p.

dysonsphereetjd4.png

MrBig

Oke i read the scans again and it seems to me the Forerunners just build on both the planet surface and the inner shell.
http://www.abload.de/img/dysonsphereetjd4.png[img][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I see what you're saying now, with the quote being something like looking up and seeing the inner shell, and there would be two planet structures.

TheOddOne

Two cynical responses, and then some positive thoughts:

One could interpret the "new missions after release" strategy as meaning they simply won't be done by the time the game ships. Or, there wasn't room on the disc for them.

Or (and I really like this one), the remaining modes are so ambitious, the dev schedule had to prioritize them to make sure they didn't stretch their resources out too far, and give the Ops missions the proper, focused attention post-ship. Which would be a very good thing.

Regardless, the post-release schedule is pretty neat. I enjoy unlocking content, but having new content scheduled and dropping regularly for a while post-release will be a lot of fun. I just hope there are at least a couple good missions on disc to tide us over, as I suspect I'm going to be all over this mode.
GhaleonEB thought are the best thoughts. Didn't even go as far thinking about those aspects.

I don't understand any of this shit. Just sounds like a bunch of noise

Well, they've since switched over to team chat for the Brits. Prior to that we had actual PbP by UK commentators. That's where I heard what I think I heard. Not sure if I want to turn it off, or start a petition for those guys to become the official PbP team for MLG.

Top Bottom