• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB Watch: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment coming to PS3/PSP PSN via PSone classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

Without taking a loss? No. That's my guess. And Atlus taking a loss isn't like Sony taking one, I imagine.

Edit: 30 might be a tad generous for PersonaGAFs head count.
I kid, I kid ^_^

It's not like most of "PersonaGAF" is even interested in a Persona game that isn't like 3 or 4.

I'm actually pleased with this turn of events. I'd rather pay $6-$10 to fill out my Persona collection than pay $30 for a slightly better PSP version. Plus, this way gets bonus points for nostalgia (the original P2:EP script was one of the first decent translations Atlus USA did).

Du2andal

Banned
Oh look, someone reasonable.

Does being disappointed somehow preclude a person from being reasonable? I think Persona fans should be allowed to be both:

a) bummed that we wont get the sweet PSP release to play.

and

b)relieved that Atlus is doing what they can to keep people happy.

Does anyone know if P4G did well in the states? I wonder if PSP/PSV support feels like straight charity to Atlus these days.

Andrefpvs

Well, that's a bit of a cop-out.

Still got the PS1 version, so obviously, I'm not buying this, but uh... yeah. Guess this is their way of saying the PSP version ain't happening. For realz.

God fucking dammit, you're right, there's absolutely no way they'd release P2:EP PSP after releasing the PS1 Classic. Shit.

Not pleased at all.

I know just the place to put it...
nfFP8Pt.jpg

And I won't even be able to do this, because I have an European PSN account. I had dreamed of having a complete Persona Collection page on my Vita... :/

The only thing people will miss out on is:

Newly remixed music similar to how the IS soundtrack was done.
A finely tuned battle system that improved on P2:ISPSP's system.
A side story featuring Tatsuya exclusively prior to joining the group.
Updated visuals and clear crisp graphics.
Data Transfer from previous game's save file.

No big loss.
D: DESPAIR!!

Dantis

Ofcourse they could. But they don't want to. How does that negate the years of their fancentric policies?

Not localising EP and the Arena region lock in the same year are the opposite of fan-centric. Building trust takes a long time, erasing it takes a second.

I'm actually pleased with this turn of events. I'd rather pay $6-$10 to fill out my Persona collection than pay $30 for a slightly better PSP version. Plus, this way gets bonus points for nostalgia (the original P2:EP script was one of the first decent translations Atlus USA did).

If I even get to play this, then I'll really miss the Arranged soundtrack. I hate listening to old school MIDI stuff (With a few exceptions. DKC2 is still glorious).

God fucking dammit, you're right, there's absolutely no way they'd release P2:EP PSP after releasing the PS1 Classic. Shit.

Not pleased at all.
And I won't even be able to do this, because I have an European PSN account. I had dreamed of having a complete Persona Collection page on my Vita... :/

Me too, buddy.

Me too.

Sophia

Not localising EP and the Arena region lock in the same year are the opposite of fan-centric. Building trust takes a long time, erasing it takes a second.

The Arena region lock was likely out of their hand, as stupid of a situation it is for everyone.

graywolf323

Gold Member
No, considering the amount of people posting in the thread, I'd say most of us want this.

on a similarish note, I believe that the thread on Atlus' forums begging them to bring over the PSP version is one of the largest threads on their entire forum

I don't fully blame Atlus USA for it though, obviously Index is screwing things up for them

but at the same time they have lost one their top PR guy (Aram leaving for Sony) and didn't the president of Atlus USA leave for XSEED? that can't be a good sign

Squire

Banned
It's not like most of "PersonaGAF" is even interested in a Persona game that isn't like 3 or 4.

Aww, don't be like that. I'm gonna get this, myself! I'm quite interested in EP!

Does being disappointed somehow preclude a person from being reasonable? I think Persona fans should be allowed to be both:

a) bummed that we wont get the sweet PSP release to play.

and

b)relieved that Atlus is doing what they can to keep people happy.

Does anyone know if P4G did well in the states? I wonder if PSP/PSV support feels like straight charity to Atlus these days.

Fair points all around, but you have people posting as though they have a masters in business, work for Atlus, or both.

Over-presumption - "Atlus could TOTALLY do this! Come on!" - that's unreasonable.

The Arena region lock was likely out of their hand, as stupid of a situation it is for everyone.

I think one day we'll here about this and the Arena region lock as things on a list of shit that wouldn't have happened if Index hasn't got all corporate.

Now I have no reason not to get persona 1 and 2s to complete my collection. Actually I still need to play persona 3 and 4 :X both are sitting on my shelf.

I feel this is a fare compromise and I will welcome it on my vita. I'll own it twice (ps1 disc and digital but that doesn't bother me at all)

Why are you doing this.

Because while this is an ok compromise, it is not the optimal outcome and people need to know what they are missing out on.

The psp release of EP *is* higher quality product. There is no doubt about it, but for those who face the choice of older product versus nothing at all, or importing and learning a new language potentially, etc... the choice is now clear.

If it makes you feel any better, before EP was picked up for US release I bought IS and EP and played through them in Japanese and learned the language.
I also even wrote a guide with some chick named Dolies on geocities for EP. It was fun.

Sophia

I think one day we'll here about this and the Arena region lock as things on a list of shit that wouldn't have happened if Index hasn't got all corporate.

Considering every ArcSystems Works game prior to Persona 4 Arena has the option to use full English voices/text or full Japanese voices/text... I've always assumed that something mandated this for P4A as a result of the partnership, then someone else (Aniplex?) mandated the region lock if they were going to do that.

I really don't think Atlus/Index just did it for more money, but rather their hand being forced. My guess is that Aniplex had a part in this too, given they've got a previous track record for it.

Rhapsody

Banned
Already own the original, so I was hoping we'd get the PSP version someday. I guess I could still buy it if I want to play EP on the go.
But yeah, after this, it pretty cut any remaining chances of localizing the PSP version.

Tiktaalik

Best case scenario going forward is that the Vita actually becomes half successful, and a year or so after the successful release of Persona 5: Golden on the device, Atlus can put out a "Persona 2 Collection" with both EP and IS bundled together.

Tizoc

The only thing people will miss out on is:

Newly remixed music similar to how the IS soundtrack was done.
A finely tuned battle system that improved on P2:ISPSP's system.
A side story featuring Tatsuya exclusively prior to joining the group.
Updated visuals and clear crisp graphics.
Data Transfer from previous game's save file.

No big loss.
D: DESPAIR!!

That last part is the one thing that I feel like I'll miss out on =P

Squire

Banned
Considering every ArcSystems Works game prior to Persona 4 Arena has the option to use full English voices/text or full Japanese voices/text... I've always assumed that something mandated this for P4A as a result of the partnership, then someone else (Aniplex?) mandated the region lock if they were going to do that.

I really don't think Atlus/Index just did it for more money, but rather their hand being forced. My guess is that Aniplex had a part in this too, given they've got a previous track record for it.

Yeah, I definitely think it was something pushed on them and they obviously can't say explicitly what it was. I'm sure they'd love to. The amount of "You fucked me over, Atlus! It's over!" from fans is just showing how fickle some people can be.

Eusis

Nice, maybe I was wrong about there probably being some contract problem that inhibited it's release.

And yeah, I would be happy to take the PSP version instead, especially as I have the PS1 disc and the PSP version could iron out localization inconsistencies brought about by P1's hackjob, but this is fantastic for everyone that didn't luck out or get it immediately upon release (it was technically a late Christmas gift for me thanks to delays).

NichM

Banned
Nich you beautiful man, I am going to pretend you organized this single-handedly.

Nah, but I'm happy this is at least known now. I wrote a PSBlog article about it that will probably go up in a couple weeks, which touches on why the PSP version couldn't happen--and that's a "couldn't," not a "didn't," which is sadly all I'll ever really be able to say. It didn't have anything to do with fears of low sales.

Sophia

Nah, but I'm happy this is at least known now. I wrote a PSBlog article about it that will probably go up in a couple weeks, which touches on why the PSP version couldn't happen--and that's a "couldn't," not a "didn't," which is sadly all I'll ever really be able to say. It didn't have anything to do with fears of low sales.

That's a bit worrisome.

Ah well, at least we're getting something, so it's all good :D

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Oooh, the plot thickens.

Aeana

I'm still thinking it had to do with Index and localization programming/source code issues, but I know Nich will never be able to say either way.

Tiktaalik

Crazy........

Licensing issues?

Edit: never mind, you can't say.

Well there you go, Atlus still cares. Unless you live in EU. :p

Dantis

Yeah, I definitely think it was something pushed on them and they obviously can't say explicitly what it was. I'm sure they'd love to. The amount of "You fucked me over, Atlus! It's over!" from fans is just showing how fickle some people can be.

YOU CALLIN' ME FICKLE?

Final nail in the coffin.

Whelp. :(

Guess it's time to turn to EBay for that Arrange CD then. Man, this is really disappointing.

I blame Elisha LaVerne! J/K

Tiktaalik

The plus side to this is that the Persona series seems to be doing well, and game companies love to do remakes. Wait a few years until some point where some of these issues have been resolved and maybe we'll see another Persona 2 release for some future console. In the mean time fans can try out the PS1 original.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Frankly, I'd be shocked if it was anything that couldn't be summarized as "Index is a pack of idiots who have their heads so far up their collective, xenophobic assholes that they make Zynga look downright smart."

Andrefpvs

Please, please, consider releasing this on EU PSN as a PS1 import, since you guys publish to EU PSN.

Also, thanks for killing the last bit of hope for EP PSP I had, I feel like I can let go now.

But please try to at least release this on EU PSN :(

Squire

Banned

It's like I'm GAFs Nostradamus. Truly.

YOU CALLIN' ME FICKLE?

Nah, you're more prickly, bro.

Recall

Europe exists. We have money. You like money right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom