• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

N° 2048

Area 4 is huge.

Just lost 26,000 tech scrap.

EDIT: Found it, got to back to MedBay with 55,000. Might be a good farming spot, 90% of enemies have an exposed limb.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm coming up on what I assume is the end, and there is an enemy type they introduce that is so god damn bullshit. I've had to up my HP 460 to keep from being one shot with fully upgraded lynx armor.

renzolama

Has anyone else found the developers choice to drop the pretense finally with these games and just drop the rpg systems really refreshing?

I mean souls went to stupid lengths to try and systemize combat with the dumb fp stat in 3 that basically everyone and even the game basically just ignored and in souls 2 the asinine adp stat everyone just flat out fucking hated, then bloodborne had the least system heavy gameplay in the series and no one really cared. This game just saying fuck it and tying everything to rig building and thus back into the gameplay via the targeting mechanic is truly inspired.

So many devs are just shoving systems in everywhere because that's what's hot now, to see one take a look at where they were pointless and remove them is super cool to see and very refreshing.

There's so much confusing hostility in this post. Fuck you stat progression systems!?

I was going to add a comment lamenting the fact that I couldn't direct my core power upgrades into specific gameplay stats like stamina, but now I'm afraid to. I feel like you might show up at my door and savage me with an upgraded pipe for suggesting the reintroduction of a souls-esque stat system.

Edit: I'm just taking the piss, found your comment funny - sorry, it's late

deoee

Whelp the last boss
image.php

haikira

Played a couple more hours today, and I'm really digging this. Game just feels great to play, especially in performance mode, and I really appreciate how much there is to tweak in the options.

Only just realised I had an insane amount of consumables in my inventory to break open for tech scrap. * We're in the money! *

[Third Area Spoilers Below]

I've met face to face with
doctor Chavez, and been given data to pass on to one of two people. I've also acquired the ability to overload out of reach points with the droid.
Would someone be so kind to point me in the right direction to head next? I'm a little bit lost at the minute.

Also, at this point in the game, should I be able to
open the doors that are security sealed? I get scanned at them, then told I don't have clearance.

Played a couple more hours today, and I'm really digging this. Game just feels great to play, especially in performance mode, and I really appreciate how much there is to tweak in the options.

Only just realised I had an insane amount of consumables in my inventory to break open for tech scrap. * We're in the money! *

doctor Chavez, and been given data to pass on to one of two people. I've also acquired the ability to overload out of reach points with the droid.
Would someone be so kind to point me in the right direction to head next? I'm a little bit lost at the minute.

Also, at this point in the game, should I be able to
open the doors that are security sealed? I get scanned at them, then told I don't have clearance.
The doors you can bypass have a drone symbol above the door. Make sure to look up for the symbol.

h0tp0ck3t

go back to area 2. The huge door near the tram should be open now

Edit: nevermind you figured it out

Tesser

Third boss, second form lasers are ripping me apart. Have the first phrase down to a tee at least.

Best advice: DO NOT use targeting. Get an attack in, dodge, rinse-and-repeat until all the welding arms are destroyed. After that, for the final phase...DO...NOT...use targeting.

renzolama

I'm enjoying the game overall through the second boss now, but the environment definitely feels a bit congested and the aggro perception/radius feels very punishing within the confines of the level design. The lack of iframes makes multiple-enemy combat feel like a war of attrition vs limited health consumables, and the only renewable energy->health injectable I have at this point doesn't return enough health to be a worthwhile choice over the immediate/dot heals. It doesn't help that I'm routinely getting hung up on terrain or dodging directly into magnet-tracking enemies who then proceed to hold me ever so closely through the rest of their slam combos.

Gear drops seem to be very clearly segregated in different zones, and as an agility player I found that the rhino stuff that dropped from everything in the second zone was mostly useless for me. I'm hoping that more weapon/gear flexibility opens up as the game progresses. That being said, I'm definitely feeling a nice power progression with upgrades of my current gear - I'd just like to see more viable weapons of different archetypes.

I think I need to do more limb chopping to look for other gear types.

Tesser

And the only renewable energy->health injectable I have at this point doesn't return enough health to be a worthwhile choice over the immediate/dot heals.

Are you referring to the implant that allows you to convert electrical energy into health? I'd argue that having that installed makes up for the small supply of health heals in the early parts of the game, so much so that I'm beginning to think it should have been made a default part of the combat mechanics, similar to the way Bloodborne allowed you to regain a portion of health if you got an attack in fast enough after taking damage.

But perhaps I'm talking from the perspective of someone who favours speed/agility/dexterity over brute strength or taking the role of a tank. The game definitely reminds me more of Bloodborne over other Souls games - which I like given it's my favourite of the Souls games - but it seems to be even more in favour of emphasising dodging and defensive moves alongside regular attacking. Robotic enemies especially seem to force you more into a single attack -> dodge -> single attack -> dodge pattern especially whereas human enemies can often let you get two or three attacks in if you're careful and don't get too greedy.

I agree with you regarding the occasionally claustrophobic and confined space of certain environments but I really like the level design in parts, especially with how it brakes off into two/three routes at points and has you anxiously deciding which way to go next out of fear you might die OR relief that you've uncovered a short-cut. When you have around 12-15K scrap and you're hoping to find an easier route back to Ops, again it reminds me of how Bloodborne's levels and environments felt more like labyrinths to explore and work out as opposed to say Dark Souls 2/3 that felt more linear and had bonfires acting more like check-points than safe-hubs of sorts. The way environments connect together at times genuinely brought out that "AH-HAAAAA" moment which I love experiencing.

There's so much confusing hostility in this post. Fuck you stat progression systems!?

I was going to add a comment lamenting the fact that I couldn't direct my core power upgrades into specific gameplay stats like stamina, but now I'm afraid to. I feel like you might show up at my door and savage me with an upgraded pipe for suggesting the reintroduction of a souls-esque stat system.

Edit: I'm just taking the piss, found your comment funny - sorry, it's late

i mean, this is why the system is so clever, all core upgrades do is allow for more implants/advanced gear to be equipped. Implants are both heals and stats, and can be changed at every save point.

All they did is bake the stats into implants.

Did take a god damn long while before i saw +stam implants tho.

cevion

Hey guys,

So I'm in area one and I've come upon a glitch:
End of area 1 / beginning of area 2 spoilers
So I found PAX, and instead of killing him I thought I'd explore a little more. So I took the tram/train to area 2, got the drone and got to the medbay. Whenever I go back to area 1 Pax just stands there burning, lookin' at me, and I'm unable to attack him. The 2 doors in the boss area are glowing yellow, blocking me from going there. Seems like I'll never be able to explore area 1 again / get out of the boss-room. I can only continue on to area 2. Anything I can do? What am I missing out if I don't beat this boss except for trophies?

I feel so screwed, should've backed up my save. I'm only 3 hours in, but restarting would suck as I farmed quite a bit. I'm on PC, unpatched version btw.
Thanks in advance guys, the game is really cool other than me triggering this glitch :<

N° 2048

Hey guys,

So I'm in area one and I've come upon a glitch:
End of area 1 / beginning of area 2 spoilers
So I found PAX, and instead of killing him I thought I'd explore a little more. So I took the tram/train to area 2, got the drone and got to the medbay. Whenever I go back to area 1 Pax just stands there burning, lookin' at me, and I'm unable to attack him. The 2 doors in the boss area are glowing yellow, blocking me from going there. Seems like I'll never be able to explore area 1 again / get out of the boss-room. I can only continue on to area 2. Anything I can do? What am I missing out if I don't beat this boss except for trophies?

I feel so screwed, should've backed up my save. I'm only 3 hours in, but restarting would suck as I farmed quite a bit. I'm on PC, unpatched version btw.
Thanks in advance guys, the game is really cool other than me triggering this glitch :<

I couldn't get to area 2 without beating PAX, I had to beat him to activate the lift to the train to get to area 2.

How did you do this glitch? Sounds like you might have to restart :(

cevion

I couldn't get to area 2 without beating PAX, I had to beat him to activate the lift to the train to get to area 2.

How did you do this glitch? Sounds like you might have to restart :(

Thanks for the quick response.

I've realized it's my fault, since I activated the dev commands today, posted earlier in this thread for quicksave/quickload when I came about the (Area 1 location spoiler + early area 2 spoiler)
radioactive/freezing area down in the darkness with all the drones, and the single rigged weapon at the end.

Was trying to figure out if I could make it to the other side by sprinting, jumping and popping health regen, and thought I'd save some time by using F5/F8. Eventually I reached the item and survived. I popped another quick save as soon as I met the boss, and upon dying and reloading I thought, "Hey, maybe there's a Medbay closer by if I take the elevator up and take the tram - I'll save just in case so I don't glitch the boss-encounter. After hitting F5 I immediately realized I should probably have saved outside of the boss room...

So I get to area 2 and get this feeling that I'm not supposed to be here yet, but when I load my backup quick-save after reaching the Medbay in area 2 the game crashed on me, and upon rebooting the game, the quicksave was gone.

So I guess be careful when quicksaving / quickloading at certain areas if you're using the dev commands. I'll probably restart when I've got the time and energy. I got so engrossed in the game and just wanted to continue on, heh.

pa22word

I've realized it's my fault, since I activated the dev commands today, posted earlier in this thread for quicksave/quickload when I came about the (Area 1 location spoiler + early area 2 spoiler)
radioactive/freezing area down in the darkness with all the drones, and the single rigged weapon at the end.

Was trying to figure out if I could make it to the other side by sprinting, jumping and popping health regen, and thought I'd save some time by using F5/F8. Eventually I reached the item and survived. I popped another quick save as soon as I met the boss, and upon dying and reloading I thought, "Hey, maybe there's a Medbay closer by if I take the elevator up and take the tram - I'll save just in case so I don't glitch the boss-encounter. After hitting F5 I immediately realized I should probably have saved outside of the boss room...

So I get to area 2 and get this feeling that I'm not supposed to be here yet, but when I load my backup quick-save after reaching the Medbay in area 2 the game crashed on me, and upon rebooting the game, the quicksave was gone.

So I guess be careful when quicksaving / quickloading at certain areas if you're using the dev commands. I'll probably restart when I've got the time and energy. I got so engrossed in the game and just wanted to continue on, heh.

lmao! Sorry to laugh, but I've broken many a saves over the years doing the same so I feel your pain xD

Have you checked out the debug menu yet? Curious if there's a noclip command. Would be really cool for datamining in game stuff and really breaking open the game if they did.

N° 2048

Ahh that's the issue. Quicksave and Quickload were left in by accident, it's a debug feature and has been breaking bosses just by simply using it. I read about it yesterday on The Surge reddit.

It will be patched next patch according to devs.

EDIT: Use beta patch as pa22word said below :)

Just got the game. Excited to get into it!
Any tips for beginners? Like stuff and functions easily to miss in the beginning.
Also hyped to play it with 60fps on my Pro.

bati

Any tips for beginners? Like stuff and functions easily to miss in the beginning.

Can't really think of anything besides being able to craft upper tiers of equipment without making lower tiers first. Game's very intuitive.

Can't really think of anything besides being able to craft upper tiers of equipment without making lower tiers first. Game's very intuitive.

Skipping to highest rank you got the mats for costs a truckload more scrap tho.

After you clear the first and second areas, the game really expects you to slot at least one +hp implant. HP doesn't increase at all with level-ups.
Lynx set is pretty handy.

bati

Skipping to highest rank you got the mats for costs a truckload more scrap tho.

After you clear the first and second areas, the game really expects you to slot at least one +hp implant. HP doesn't increase at all with level-ups.
Lynx set is pretty handy.

Aren't the costs cumulative? For example, first rank + upgrade to rank 2 = going straight for rank 2.

Ok so I didn't get the 2.0 version of the first boss weapon, but got it for the second and I have a question now. Do the 2.0 versions have special "abilities" that the regular versions don't?

I'm wondering because the second boss 2.0 weapon has
two attacks that make flames come out of the weapon.
Not sure if it's the same on the regular version.

LCKellow1994

Neo Member
Bloody hell, that last boss was no joke. Finally finished the game after clocking in 23 hours so far. The final area had some of the toughest enemies. The
big nanite blobs
are ridiculous and do huge amounts of damage.

NG+ and their "surprises". It was hard enough getting through the first time. I might have to end my journey here.

Ok so I didn't get the 2.0 version of the first boss weapon, but got it for the second and I have a question now. Do the 2.0 versions have special "abilities" that the regular versions don't?

I'm wondering because the second boss 2.0 weapon has
two attacks that make flames come out of the weapon.
Not sure if it's the same on the regular version.

The only thing "special" about the V2 P.A.X. weapon is some extra damage and its charged vertical attack is different (also the description is slightly different than the regular one)

how the others are different I don't know but I'd imagine they all have something that makes them better than regular

fantomena

What does destroying an implant do? Will I ever get the implant I destroy back?

And in the scrap meny, what's the difference between the functions "ùncrease" and "bank scrap"?

cevion

lmao! Sorry to laugh, but I've broken many a saves over the years doing the same so I feel your pain xD

Have you checked out the debug menu yet? Curious if there's a noclip command. Would be really cool for datamining in game stuff and really breaking open the game if they did.

Haha, don't worry - I laughed aswell. Glad I'm not alone in this xD. Happy I learned my lesson early in the game instead of mid to lategame.

Haven't checked out the menu yet, but I'll keep you posted when I do.

Ahh that's the issue. Quicksave and Quickload were left in by accident, it's a debug feature and has been breaking bosses just by simply using it. I read about it yesterday on The Surge reddit.

It will be patched next patch according to devs.

EDIT: Use beta patch as pa22word said below :)

Ah, I see! I should have known not to use the debug features, but the naughty kid that wants to explore and try shit out just got the best of me :p

I'll probably speedrun through it with the help of quicksave/quickload to the point where I was, pick up all the loot I had and get back to lvl 30, and then stop using it. Thanks for the help again guys :) Have a great day/night/morning!

pa22word

What does destroying an implant do? Will I ever get the implant I destroy back?

And in the scrap meny, what's the difference between the functions "ùncrease" and "bank scrap"?

Never tried scrapping an implant (they stack!), and I dunno what language that is (french?) But I'm guessing the former is to increase your level and the latter is for putting scrap you have left over in the ops bank for later usage. Very nifty for not walking out and blowing loads of exp needlessly.

I have to say that The Surge is really good. I mean, I liked lotf for what it was but this is way better. I hope Deck 13 will stick with the souls formula, cause it seems they are getting better at it.

Love the light set (can't remember the name but I think it was Lynx or something like that), a bit op but that's ok :)

Can you stack implants?

Also do you get anything for destroying them?

Yes, and you have to stack them at times. If you destroy them, you get tech scraps. You can actually use this to get an endless amount of tech scraps when fighting a certain type of enemy. I got 2-4k from one implant and started farming it.

N° 2048

I have to say that The Surge is really good. I mean, I liked lotf for what it was but this is way better. I hope Deck 13 will stick with the souls formula, cause it seems they are getting better at it.

Love the light set (can't remember the name but I think it was Lynx or something like that), a bit op but that's ok :)

Seriously Deck13 has the potential to make some great games going by The Surge.
I really hope this game does well. Also if their patch notes from the upcoming patch are any indication, these dudes listen to their fans.

Acinixys

Can someone explain weapon proficiency to me?

The net is useless

Weapons have a proficiency rating from low to very high

What does this effect in game?

Top Bottom