• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMO Skyforge is coming to PS4 this March

Freeman76

No I am just playing the free version off the store. It was literally on the front page of new games.

Depending on where you read, the P2W elements arent as bad as some other people make out, so I am definitely gonna see for myself. Seems like loads of content, and it does have a similar vibe to PSO in some ways. Definitely not another Neverwinter (which I know is popular but i thought sucked).

Maligna

Banned
No I am just playing the free version off the store. It was literally on the front page of new games.

Depending on where you read, the P2W elements arent as bad as some other people make out, so I am definitely gonna see for myself. Seems like loads of content, and it does have a similar vibe to PSO in some ways. Definitely not another Neverwinter (which I know is popular but i thought sucked).

You must be in Europe?

Sounds like my Neverwinter story. Anyways will start downloading soon, it takes time tho.

I think we all did that with Neverwinter - that had the added frustration of garbage performance too. I probably would have stuck it out longer had that not been such an issue.

I'm downloading Skyforge from my UK account, hopefully i can log in w/ my NA account without issue.

Rixa

I think we all did that with Neverwinter - that had the added frustration of garbage performance too. I probably would have stuck it out longer had that not been such an issue.

I'm downloading Skyforge from my UK account, hopefully i can log in w/ my NA account without issue.

If you are making a guild. Reserve one spot for me :)

Never ceases to amaze me how many people play these games. An hour after release there are people EVERYWHERE, loads of players.

The loot, the feeling etc :). Will try to not touch for pvp as its not my thing.

Freeman76

So far its alright, I can see where people compare it to PSO as it has a similar set up, but what those guys dont get is the charm PSO has, this game doesnt seem to have any of that

Nonetheless, its pretty fun so far, I cant see where the P2W aspects are as obviously its too early to tell any of that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I may get into this. I played it a lot on PC, but the population dwindled hard. I wonder if the PS4 version will stay alive?

Xiaoki

Nonetheless, its pretty fun so far, I cant see where the P2W aspects are as obviously its too early to tell any of that.

You can use real money to buy Credits or Knowledge of Enemies.

You trade those in at buildings in the Capital to get Might.

Might raises your Prestige.

Prestige is your character. Everything revolves around Prestige.

You can raise your Prestige near infinitely. There were people in the first week of Early Access with 300,000 Prestige.

ReaperXL7

I may get into this. I played it a lot on PC, but the population dwindled hard. I wonder if the PS4 version will stay alive?

Tough to tell for sure obviously but from what I've seen on most of the MMOs on PSN I don't think it should be an issue.

Even Onigiri seems to have a solid player base and it doesn't get much rougher than that game.

Innolis

I played this quite a bit on PC and will say that some classes will be tricky to play on a gamepad.

Beyond that, it's a surprisingly good game with a progression system taken straight from FF-X.

Only problem is that it becomes grindy as hell, it has a daily XP cap (or at least it had one when I stopped playing about a year ago) and the rotating rewards can have the undesirable side effect of you not getting what you need for quite a while.

Fun game though, I don't regret giving them 10 bucks for a larger inventory.

How does it run technically?

So far it seems good to acceptable. 30FPS with dips and the IQ is a little weak so i'm guessing 900p. Visuals overall are better than i expected, with the exception of poor lip syncing (and voice acting really) and small visual glitches right when you load in.

Freeman76

So far it seems good to acceptable. 30FPS with dips and the IQ is a little weak so i'm guessing 900p. Visuals overall are better than i expected, with the exception of poor lip syncing (and voice acting really) and small visual glitches right when you load in.

In the busier areas on the area map it dips to 15-20 when there are loads of ppl but thats to be expected. When running smaller groups its much better.

Kalentan

They did say Pro is getting 4K/HDR support. Wonder how that will turn out.

Ploid 3.0

Did they ever get rid of the currency caps?

All of the crazy caps forced me to stop playing the game, then when I planned to return (the caps add up so it was beneficial to me to stop) I just didn't care enough to reinstall. I loved the game though, liked the gaf raid. I tried redownloading it recently but the download was so slow that I just totally gave up.

Rixa

Download is 16GB and I do have slow connection, so I choose sinlge player and went in after 8GB downloaded. I can only do first real mission "Dankit Island" everything else is locked til I get all downloaded. You can grab 3 days VIP free, I did it and now grinding that first Island 2* Mission, 3* is too tough to solo.

Got my first rare loot box to drop from normal enemy (I have got 1 Green loot dropped also)

C9JUMbZXcAAAyzv.jpg:large

^^ Normal PS4 picture thru Twitter.
Loot box had 6500 Credit (3 times the mission when playing with VIP on)

Freeman76

You can grab 3 days VIP free

After a couple of hours play i got a prompt come up for a starter pack for 6.49 which has 2 weeks vip and a load of credits and stuff, figured why not as I will get at least 10 hours of this, possibly a hell of a lot more too!

Rixa

After a couple of hours play i got a prompt come up for a starter pack for 6.49 which has 2 weeks vip and a load of credits and stuff, figured why not as I will get at least 10 hours of this, possibly a hell of a lot more too!

Thansk for informing this. I will grab it too when it pops (havent seen it yet).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

When I played on PC, I bought something. Maybe some VIP?

Whatever the case, the game is fun and easily worth that price. It's far from perfect and is absolutely not the next PSO, but it has some really rewarding PvE moments. A good group makes some stuff even more exciting.

Svejk

Had to do a search for it on PSN (US)... not showing in any categories (FTP, New Release, etc.)

Downloading now! =D Won't be able to try it till the weekend though. =(

Freeman76

When I played on PC, I bought something. Maybe some VIP?

Whatever the case, the game is fun and easily worth that price. It's far from perfect and is absolutely not the next PSO, but it has some really rewarding PvE moments. A good group makes some stuff even more exciting.

It probably reminds me more of DC Universe than anything with regards to combat and level layout etc..

Ploid 3.0

Do you need PS Plus to play this?

If it's free to play, or a subscription based MMORPG it shouldn't require PS+. I searched, and I couldn't find anything that says Sony changed that. I can't check because an account on my system has PS+. People have been asking this a lot for free to play games, so it makes me question if things changed.

Freeman76

How does it run technically?

The further in I get, the worse it gets. Its bad enough to make me want to log off in the more popular places. Shame as its pretty fun otherwise, but I dont think I can deal with this level of shite performance unfortunately (for me)

BigEmil

The further in I get, the worse it gets. Its bad enough to make me want to log off in the more popular places. Shame as its pretty fun otherwise, but I dont think I can deal with this level of shite performance unfortunately (for me)
Which PS4 you tried it on?

Looks like we need 3 people in total to make a guild, and its 50K credits and 20 members are the max (if i'm understanding it correctly). Should we get a few of us together and start one? Anyone have a good idea for a name?

It seems a bit dull so far if i'm being honest, but i imagine group content will be more lively.

I'm so far into the art, world and how beautiful the scenery is at times, but Jesus that voice acting is atrocious.

I'm hoping the game gets a little more fun as it goes along.

SDCowboy

So is this a full-on MMO, as in, does it have other players running around, dungeons/raids, etc? Or is it more of an online RPG?

Syysch

Downloading to try it out. Played this back on PC waaaay early into its life, had a lot of fun, but holy shit did it get grindy as all hell. Took upwards of weeks to unlock a new class outside of the starter ones, and then you had to hope you enjoyed how it plays.

Is the weekly exp cap still in? If it is, better start a character now if you have any kind of remote interest in trying the game out in the future so your cap starts to grow. I stopped playing on PC right after they added ways to increase your cap through mission rewards (though they weren't massive bonuses, and the cap was still there).

Edit: looks like it's quite a bit different than it was back when i played first. I guess you unlock new classes and stuff through the story now? Gotta read up on all this prestige stuff and see how it all works.

Xiaoki

So is this a full-on MMO, as in, does it have other players running around, dungeons/raids, etc? Or is it more of an online RPG?

Its not a full on MMO.

You have your central hub town, single player story missions, 5 player dungeons, 10 player raids, open quest zones(these are where you'll see other people running around killing stuff) and some instanced PvP stuff(I dont PvP in this game)

It seems to be structured closer to Phantasy Star Online, Destiny or Guild Wars if you're familiar with those. Town with lots of players, then instanced levels and group content.

EDIT: beaten.

Kalentan

It depends. You see other players in towns and some of the 'region' zones but a lot of the game is instanced. At least when I played originally.

SDCowboy

Its not a full on MMO.

You have your central hub town, single player story missions, 5 player dungeons, 10 player raids, open quest zones(these are where you'll see other people running around killing stuff) and some instanced PvP stuff(I dont PvP in this game)

I see. Now where do you see what level you are? And do you not get armor pieces in this, or am I missing that too? lol

SDCowboy

Your level is your prestige, its in the top right corner of the character screen. I have not come across any armour yet.

Hmm, yeah after this info, and playing it for a bit, I think I'm going to pass on this one. I was hoping it was going to be a full blown MMO.

Demoskinos

So....I'm confused. I got all these welcoming gifts of which I opened. One was a clothes style which apparently vanished and isn't showing up... there is another pack that says only PS+ members can open it yet the game doesn't register me as a PS+ user even though I have 100 days left on my sub. =|

The fuck is going on with this game.

gogosox82

I will try this out. I remember playing this on pc and really liking it but it was grindy as hell. I know there were some P2W elements that turned me off as well but maybe they've taken some of that stuff out? One can only hope.

Top Bottom