• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Tower Run Time is 94 Minutes

Busty

Banned
So what...., 7 or 8 minutes of credits?

Why is this bad?

There had been tons of rumours (I even heard them myself) that the print the studio were screening to test audiences was just 84/85 minutes long. If your film is that long (especially a film like this given the HUGE source material) then something has gone horribly wrong.

____

Thank the Gods.

Can't stand movies that overstay their welcome. My attention span is shit these days.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is that with credits? I'm all for a tight movie, but under an hour thirty feels like it could be rushed.

Could be a good sign, could be a bad sign.

I'm hoping they just have no idea how to market it, because the trailers have not been incredibly promising, but the casting is good...

Of all the book IPs....so with all the history and material of Stephen Kings longest running epic saga that is The Dark Tower
and they only managed to pull 94 minutes worth of material for a movie?

WTF, just how bad did they edit this film?!

What does this have to do with how good or bad it will be?

It's not a good sign for a film consider the universe it's pulling from has a huge backstory and a lot of world-building.

As a huge fan of the books I definitely expected a 2hr or more runtime.

firelogic

People are weird. We have people complaining that it's only 94mins long and we have people cheering that it's only 94mins long.

It could be the best 94mins captured on film of all time or it could be the worst 94mins captured on film of all time or anything in between.

I don't see how you can be happy or sad simply about a runtime.

KHarvey16

That's nice, but how many people worked on it named Steve? What font are the opening credits using? Is it opening in an even or odd number of theaters?

These are the important questions.

dl77

'kin hell, what's wrong with a film being taut?!

Honestly, it's good to see a film and know that it's not going to take up your whole evening. I mean how the hell can a Transformers movie possibly fill two and a half hours?!

I'd also say that the original MiB & Zombieland are around an hour and a half and I can't think of anyone who thought they were too short!

EDIT: In fact here's a list of (some!) great films that run under 90 minutes

Rolfgang

That's way too short for all the backstory and lore TDT has. I'm going to the cinema first day for sure, but I really hoped for at least two hours of runtime. Any less and a non-comedy movie is just too short in my opinion.

nelchaar

I mean, there's not much happening in the first book (The Gunslinger). That being said, this does make me worry, especially how actiony the trailers have looked so far.

I've not read the books but the trailers don't really make this out to be an epic with tons of characters and backstory, so this runtime seems fine to me. I'd be less enthused if it was over two hours.

Considering the breadth of the source material this is concerning.

It could still be a quality film with some tight editing but I imagine it will still be disappointing for fans of the book.

There was a time not long ago where most movies were in the 90 range. I don't think this is something to be worried about. Also the first book in the series is one of the shortest anyway.

Color me nervous. 1 hour 52 min is the minimum in my experience for Sci fi / fantasy films to do their world justice in terms of world building and character development. Horror and comedy are the only two genres can get away with such short runtimes .

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
'kin hell, what's wrong with a film being taut?!

Honestly, it's good to see a film and know that it's not going to take up your whole evening. I mean how the hell can a Transformers movie possibly fill two and a half hours?!

I'd also say that the original MiB & Zombieland are around an hour and a half and I can't think of anyone who thought they were too short!

EDIT: In fact here's a list of (some!) great films that run under 90 minutes

I like a lot of short movies, and a lot of them are on that list. That being said most of those are smaller self contained stories with many of them being comedies or animated flicks.

Dark Tower doesn't exactly share many similarities. It's already a well established world with a shit ton going on.

Kill3r7

That is really short for an origin story. Either the editing is top notch or there will be endless bitching and moaning online. Still excited to see it.

Fury451

Banned
Of all the book IPs....so with all the history and material of Stephen Kings longest running epic saga that is The Dark Tower
and they only managed to pull 94 minutes worth of material for a movie?

WTF, just how bad did they edit this film?!

It's a sequel to the books, if that helps. Don't want to spoil, but it may be okay for it to be truncated in that case.

Though making it a franchise seems less likely depending on what they do here

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Why is this bad?

Think about the last live action blockbuster you went to that was 90 minutes long. Then think about the director on this. Then think about the writer. Now what's more likely, that they came up with an amazingly well paced piece of cinema? Or this is basically a hatchet job, and the studio cobbled something together? I have a hard time believing someone wrote a script for The Dark Tower that's less than 100 pages...

If this was a "smaller" film like The Shallows, I could get it. You're confined with a small number of characters in one area. With that you're keeping it tight so you don't exhaust the premise. The Dark Tower being 90 sounds hella sketchy.

For a film like this, that definitely suggests serious cuts in post-production.

I could be totally wrong, of course. There are exceptions.

Why is this bad?

It's 7 books long?

EDIT - unless it's just about the Gunslinger.

EDIT2: From Wiki:

Stephen King and Nikolaj Arcel have confirmed that the 2017 film The Dark Tower is a sequel to the events of the Dark Tower book series, following Roland Deschain on his "last time round" the cycle to the titular Dark Tower,
equipped with the Horn of Eld.
[10] The film is to be released on August 4, 2017 in 3D and 2D by Columbia Pictures.[11][12][13] The film has been stated a combination of the events of The Gunslinger, and of the third novel The Waste Lands, while also incorporating significant story points from The Wind Through the Keyhole.

So, who knows. Probably a whole lot of creative license will be used.

Top Bottom