• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Need for Speed: Most Wanted gameplay and details

Yeah it is my opinion, as it was many others. The game was a flop.

Not just saying now really, but it had to be said. And this gen sort of covers quite a few years this time round...

No far from a flop...
No need to downgrade a game becuase you didn't like it ..try to be objective please. Or did you play the wii version or something ?

Why do people keep implying that this game can't/won't run at 60 fps? Didn't Burnout and Hot Pursuit both run at 60?
BUrnout was 60 fps
NFS was 30 fps but had the response time of a 60 fps game so very few people complained and saw the difference.

Whaaaaa?

The game sold like 8.5 million copies, it in no way was a flop.

And, generally, people loved it.
You heard it here first.

Hot Pursuit - 8.5 million sales, average metacritic score of 85+. Flop.

I wonder what he thinks was the better mainline NFS game in the last 5 years:
The Run
Hot Pursuit
Shift 1/2
Undercover
ProStreet

Why do people keep implying that this game can't/won't run at 60 fps? Didn't Burnout and Hot Pursuit both run at 60?
HP ran at 30fps. The big push for that game was deferred lighting, which yielded fantastic visuals (anyone who drove the later races with thunderstorm at night knows what I'm referring to). Their backend game was still ticking as if its' 60FPS (input polling, etc...), but it's a 30fps game.

Cramoss

This is sounding a lot like Burnout Paradise 2.

xOFjX.png

I wants it.

But I want it to be more similar to the previous Most Wanted game and less like a Burnout game. This ain't Burnout, Criterion.

Duffyside

Banned
Ok alpha, and thantaos, thank you. Is it confirmed that this game won't run at 60 though? If Criterion thought it was good for Paradise, which is four years old, I don't know why they wouldn't push for it here...

Well, I guess the reason would be that going 30 lets them do other things that they think are more important.

Ok alpha, and thantaos, thank you. Is it confirmed that this game won't run at 60 though? If Criterion thought it was good for Paradise, which is four years old, I don't know why they wouldn't push for it here...

Well, I guess the reason would be that going 30 lets them do other things that they think are more important.
No confirmation either way yet. The PR line that was pushed with HP for going 30 was because they wanted the visual fidelity for the more cinematic experience (that's a debate that's a toss up), so who knows if they're going to be keeping that here or not.

Would it be nice to get a 60 fps game? Sure, would it look just as good as where hot pursuit was with all the lighting and weather effects and be at 60? Probably not.

Orayn

Paradise ran on an updated version of Renderware, a prominent last-gen engine that Criterion themselves created. Frostbite 2 is quite a bit more power-hungry, unfortunately.

But I want it to be more similar to the previous Most Wanted game and less like a Burnout game. This ain't Burnout, Criterion.

I'm sorry, but I have no particular nostalgia for the Need For Speed series. Can't you judge a game on its own merits, even if the name seems wrong to you?

Well you see THEY CAN make a 60fps game ..- they already did ( burnout paradise ) and it look great ..
How will they push the hardware of both consoles is something we can't know unless we have a Demo or the full game ( or a digital foundry article ) ..They can do a 60 fps or do a 30 fps and improve the number of cars on screen , the number of effects ....without knowing exactly just how they improve online multiplayer , how many effects at once or the scope of the city .. we can only guess.

but you shouldn't be too worried ..even at 30 fps , it's not gonna be bad judging by HP and it will mostly be a locked 30 fps experience..

You heard it here first.

Hot Pursuit - 8.5 million sales, average metacritic score of 85+. Flop.

I wonder what he thinks was the better mainline NFS game in the last 5 years:
The Run
Hot Pursuit
Shift 1/2
Undercover
ProStreet

HP ran at 30fps. The big push for that game was deferred lighting, which yielded fantastic visuals (anyone who drove the later races with thunderstorm at night knows what I'm referring to). Their backend game was still ticking as if its' 60FPS (input polling, etc...), but it's a 30fps game.
^^ that's just too funny.

Anyway HP at night was awesome Dat weather effects ( especially during that Duel race , so intense )

BLAZER

I seriously hope EA creates Underground 3 for next gen systems.

It was by far the greatest entertaining racing game series ever. (If your into imports that is)

Still remember staying up all night racing and dragging my mates.

Just recently i was only a holiday and they had a Need for Speed driving booth/simulator. Brought back so many amazing memories, and for me, cemented its place as epitome of fun racing/greatest racing game ever.
Can't wait to buy my real life R34 GTR in the years to come =)

Paradise ran on an updated version of Renderware, a prominent last-gen engine that Criterion themselves created. Frostbite 2 is quite a bit more power-hungry, unfortunately.
Hot Pursuit was not on Frostbite 2, but something called Chameleon, which was their next iteration engine that was built ontop of what they did for Paradise. (link)

JustinSane

Neo Member
Hmmm my mistake then, but on gamers forums at the time everyone was bashing it. Not on gaf though apparently, but then again people here are a little different.

And to that guy that listed those other nfs games, fyi, I don't like any of those.

Gotta love it when people get all defensive and say "oh so you must like bla bla". LOL.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Driver had all this stuff AND a cool story. Just sayin

ie I'm bummed out that Criterion continues to neglect having a story in a racing game.

Driver had all this stuff AND a cool story. Just sayin

ie I'm bummed out that Criterion continues to neglect having a story in a racing game.

I just finished playing Driver SF a few days ago and I loved the story (and everything else about the game). Having said that, it is also the only racing game I have ever played where I cared about the story. Having one in Most Wanted would have been nice, but I don't think it's a deal breaker as long as the actual gameplay is good.

One thing I would like to see is that they don't re-use any sections from the Paradise map in this game. They did it in Hot Pursuit and I found it a bit irritating. I'm not talking about large sections of the map, but just specific bits (like certain long turns and likes). Make a completely brand new map. And make it varied and colorful like Seacrest county.

WOW...I was so looking forward to this.

No body customization, no story...no buy.

That's possibly the flimsiest reasoning to not buying a video game I've ever seen. Complaining about a racing game having no story and no customisation is a bit like complaining that a fighting game has no story or no customisation: fundamentally missing the selling point for the genre.

TeegsD

So the game has no story but does it have a free drive mode where you can drive to different spots around a city for different events a la Burnout Paradise with the chance of being intercepted by cops should you be speeding/driving recklessly?

Bgamer90

Banned

I can somewhat understand being disappointed in the lack of customization but no story??? Really?? In a racing game? Wow.

The one in Most Wanted 2005 was horribly cheesy as well.

Did Hot Pursuit really reach 8.5 million sales?! Fuckin' A - that game was the shiznit. Can't wait for the sequel next year.

Made by Criterion so it's a must-buy for me, although most likely not at full price. Criterion's racers are the only non-kart-racing racers that I buy nowadays.

Fou-Lu

My god this game looks amazing. If HP is a daily at any point during the steam sale I'll be buying it, I need my NFS fix now.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

So The Run was you're personal RGOTY 2011 then, yeah? Then there was that Pixar Cars movie/game tie in, bet you loved that too, especially since the cars could talk! =D

Really looking forward to seeing this Most Wanted. I've only bought two NFS games this gen, Pro Street (I actually enjoyed this and almost 1000/1000 bar a few online achs) and Hot Pursuit, which I am yet to finish. Maybe I will in time.

New cars

Corvette ZL1
chevrolet_camaro_zl18oks9.jpg

Ummm, that's a Camaro? ;)

NJShadow

I'm so glad EA finally made the decision to award full custody of the franchise to Criterion. They did such an excellent job with Hot Pursuit, and then I just felt the quality drop when 'The Run' was handed over to EA Black Box.

Paradise City with licensed cars and mods? Yes please!

Day one purchase? Nah, this is a minute one purchase.

iNvid02

the quality drop from hot pursuit to the run was massive

criterion deserve it, this looks great, but i still wish there were more diverse environments like in hot pursuit, bland city would not be my first choice

Does anybody know if its a real city or a fake one like the Burnout games?

It's mostlikely a original city ... there is little to no reason for them to recreate a real city as it will prevent them from creating the playground we all want to play with ...

at least that's what i think...

Never played Paradise or the Criterion NFS but after seeing this I'm tempted, which one is the better game? Or should I Just wait for November?

Skyzard

Banned
I'm really excited for a vita version as well. Also disappointed that we haven't seen any vita footage but as long as they take their time with it and get a decent steady 30fps I'll be happy. Probably going to be a bit of a challenge though.

Mascot

I'll buy this game and probably love every single minute of it, but my evil brain will constantly remind me that Paradise ran at 60fps and looked absolutely beautiful four years ago.

Afrikan

Looking at these great screens, knowing the power of Frostbite, and the polished talent of Criterion Games.....do yall think next Gen EA will ask Criterion to create a GTA type game to release inbetween GTA games? Especially if THQ doesn't want to make Saints Row games? I mean it seems Ubisoft has already beat them to the punch, but I'm sure EA will not fall too far behind.

def sim

I can somewhat understand being disappointed in the lack of customization but no story??? Really?? In a racing game? Wow.

The one in Most Wanted 2005 was horribly cheesy as well.

It made the game endearing. I'm surprised there is no story at all; I'm actually super bummed out about that.

All I want to know is if you can at least earn boost by takedowns and drifts.

If they are in, From what I've seen so far, it's close enough to burnout for me.

Oh maybe a noob question but can frostbite hit 60fps on PC? Do you need a uber powerful rig to do so?

Bgamer90

Banned
Same gameplay trailer with some more "popup video text". BUT!

...notice the 360 boxshot in the end has the "better with kinect" purple banner? Let's hope it's just the cam shot for takedown support.

A GPS feature like the one in Forza Horizon would be cool... especially for autolog.

E.G.: "Kinect... Direct me to the nearest event that my (autolog friend) has completed."

Top Bottom