• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2010 Awards

Zalasta

Didn't bother to participate but lol at ME2. I put over 70 hours into it in insanity, got 99% of the achievements and it is certainly not GOTY for me.

Alts said:
Cheesemeister, what did your regular expression end up looking like?

A big list of variations for each title. ;)

I basically just stripped down the strings to lower-case and no punctuation or white space for a binary search.

Well, at least my GOTY (Picross 3D) won one of the categories (Puzzle Game of the Year)...

GhaleonQ said:
There's arguably a discernible point-of-view (my only criterion for a good list), so that's good.
I'm kind of interested where you're coming from with this, could you elaborate?

angelfly

Congrats to Mass Effect 2 which was my GOTY as well.

Looking at that list just reminds me how awesome 2010 was in terms of games.

I find it hilarious that none of the top 25 overall were in my list (though a couple - RDR, Nier - probably would have been if I had been able to play them more). Never has my disconnect from the overall gaming community been more apparent.

It's great to see that my vote for Project Diva 2nd propelled it to a well-deserved Handheld Rhythm Game of the Year! :lol

The year Kinect took off 8 million sales. The year PS move did quite remarkably. The year Black Ops sold tons of shitloads.

The year Starcraft 2 took 8th place on a 'hardcore' game forum.

DaBuddaDa

Omotesando said:
The year Kinect took off 8 million sales. The year PS move did quite remarkably. The year Black Ops sold tons of shitloads.

The year Starcraft 2 took 8th place on a 'hardcore' game forum.
The year God of War III is your avatar.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
"4. Bayonetta 697
5. God of War III 588"

Was worried Gaf was going go with the hype, and pick the wrong action game. Sometimes, they get it absolutely right.

Zalasta said:
Didn't bother to participate but lol at ME2. I put over 70 hours into it in insanity, got 99% of the achievements and it is certainly not GOTY for me.
Wait

Is this a joke?

"I only played this game for 70 hours and nearly 100%'d it, HOW COULD ANYONE CALL IT GAME OF THE YEAR"

Don

Bayonetta was my GOTY, but seeing it make number 4 is still great.

Also pleasantly surprised to see Heavy Rain in the top 10 despite all the hate it seems to get.

Yerolo

Congrats ME2

Glad to see Alan Wake got a good look in (was my #1), it wasnt the most well received game outside of GAF...but GAF knows a good game :D

dejan

me3___femshep_style_byncwt.jpg

"I'm fucking done here. Next stop NeoGAF Game of the Year 2011 Awards ..."

Don said:
Bayonetta was my GOTY, but seeing it make number 4 is still great.

Also pleasantly surprised to see Heavy Rain in the top 10 despite all the hate it seems to get.

Surprised? Heavy Rain is a atmospheric immersive experience with lackluster gameplay, goes in line with goty and second place.

No_Style

Excellent job to everyone involved. :D

Congrats GAF for making solid choices. ME2 was my GOTY as well.

Limbo not being in the top 10 makes me :( though.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how my post was formatted in the download, and here it was:
cooljeanius
33.33333% Multi, 66.66666% Nintendo
50% AS, 33.33333% NA, 16.66667% EU
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416386&page=8#374
1. Picross 3D (AS) - 4 points
2. WarioWare D.I.Y. (AS) - 3 points
3. Red Steel 2 (EU) - 3 points
4. Zen Bound 2 (NA) - 2 points
5. Frogatto & Friends (NA) - 2 points
6. Photo Dojo (AS) - 2 points
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416386&page=8#376
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416386&page=8#383
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416386&page=9#411
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416386&page=14#696
I find it interesting how it includes links to my other posts in the thread, too. It's also interesting to compare it to the final results. I was the only one to vote for Zen Bound 2 or Frogatto, and the only other person to vote for Photo Dojo put it in the exact same rank as I did.

Unicorn

Omotesando said:
Surprised? Heavy Rain is a atmospheric immersive experience with lackluster gameplay, goes in line with goty and second place.
:lol

Dude keep going, this is fascinating!

Wow, great job guys, really great work on the breakdowns.

A great list, GAF should be proud, you can't really go wrong with most of those titles, and a good ordering too.

Yeef

Disappointed that ME2 beat out RDR, but looking at the numbers it was pretty close. I haven't played ME2 yet, but I thought the first one was just okay. I guess I'll see, when I do play it, whether the win was deserved or not.

What a terrible list, the GAF collective should be ashamed.

That in no way diminishes the work that everyone here put into the rankings though. Good job guys! :D

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
jetjevons said:
Surprised Amensia dominated horror. Shattered Memories was pretty awesome.

I'm surprised Demon's Souls and Shattered Memories both did as well as they did this year, considering they came out in 2009! :)D )

They were both in my top 1-2 last year.

i really thought nier would've charted a little higher from all the love it was getting in some other threads.

John Harker said:
I'm surprised Demon's Souls and Shattered Memories both did as well as they did this year, considering they came out in 2009! :)D )

They were both in my top 1-2 last year.
europe_small.gif

tiff

Banned
Glad to see one game in the top 10 that I enjoyed.

Good jobs on the stats, although I wish the main list had the number of votes for each game. I think I was the only one to vote for Sakura Wars and Rune Factory 3 :lol

edit: Nevermind, it's all in the downloadable folder. Incredible amount of data in there. Great job.

edit2: congrats Atelier Rorona for squeaking into the top 150!

animlboogy said:
Not a bad list. I personally didn't get why Bayonetta was so special, and I expected Minecraft and Demon's Souls to do a lot better. Oh, well! Looks like I need to do another Mass Effect run.

Demon's Souls only had PAL land allowed to vote for it, as it was out elsewhere in 2009.

GhaleonQ

cooljeanius said:
Well, at least my GOTY (Picross 3D) won one of the categories (Puzzle Game of the Year)...

I'm kind of interested where you're coming from with this, could you elaborate?

This year, large portions of NeoGAF appreciated high-octane, action-oriented games of moderate depth that don't take themselves too seriously.

1. Mass Effect 2 1302
2. Red Dead Redemption 1174
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 904
4. Bayonetta 697
5. God of War III 588
8. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty 441
9. Super Meat Boy 396
11. Donkey Kong Country Returns 371
15. Alan Wake 325
16. Vanquish 325
17. Super Street Fighter IV 306
19. Just Cause 2 210
20. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light 204

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222830

This is just a hodgepodge of games that had big marketing budgets (which, to be fair, could also be said of this list; it's just not the ONLY thing that could be said of it). You couldn't make marketplace bets based on it.

animlboogy said:
Not a bad list. I personally didn't get why Bayonetta was so special, and I expected Minecraft and Demon's Souls to do a lot better. Oh, well! Looks like I need to do another Mass Effect run.

Demon's Souls was hampered by the fact that it was released in most regions last year.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Rabbitwork said:
i really thought nier would've charted a little higher from all the love it was getting in some other threads.

europe_small.gif

Hence the grin. Was a joke. No way a non-N.A. release is going to win one of GAF's polls.

ShockingAlberto said:
Wait

Is this a joke?

"I only played this game for 70 hours and nearly 100%'d it, HOW COULD ANYONE CALL IT GAME OF THE YEAR"
i don't really see how time invested = how much you like the game.

Top Bottom