• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon UltraSun/UltraMoon trailer (10/12): New Z-Moves and Rotom Dex features

PS_GUY

Care to post that comparison? I would like to see it.

I have STRONNNNNGGG feeling that Trials being implementented had alot less to do with Game Freak wanting to try something new and more to do with the change being made to accommodate the new direction the Anime was heading with it's gag style school setting so the gameplay portion of the Trial was an afterthought.

No, I disagree. I don't think the anime or movies have any influence over the games. I think Joe/Serebii has posted about this before.

I believe trials were simply introduced to shake it up, but I found them way too easy. With Pokemon Gyms, you had to battle through the Gym grunts, then a Gym Leader with 3-4 Pokemon that includes a strong, signature Pokemon. In the trials, you face a couple single Pokemon and a strong Pokemon... hardly a challenge. Fortunately, I think trials will be exclusive to Gen 7.

It will be very disappointing if Game Freak releases new UBs and neglects to release any new "normal" Pokemon and Alolan forms, which I have warmed up to.

Black/White really spoiled us with the 150+ new Pokemon. I hope we get around the same amount in Gen 8.

RockmanBN

They let the cat out of the bag and now they expect us to be satisfied with something of inferior quality? No way....as far as I'm concerned Black 2 and White 2 are the examples of what a Core Pokemon game should be feature wise with Heart Gold and Soul Silver being the minimum pinicle of what a Remake should be.

I get that the post game being bad in XY due to the development of their first 3D mainline game. ORAS was a little iffy because it was a remake, but it looked like they were teasing Battle Frontier. Next we have S&M with the similar post games where after the main game, you have another mini story which leads to catching a legendary/Bus and not much to do after.

S&M2 is the first game this gen generation of hardware where it's a new version if a same gen where the story and some parts of the game see changed up. Here's hoping that more meaningful content is included, because the 3DS games are the first games that I drop much earlier on and never revisit.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I have STRONNNNNGGG feeling that Trials being implementented had alot less to do with Game Freak wanting to try something new and more to do with the change being made to accommodate the new direction the Anime was heading with it's gag style school setting so the gameplay portion of the Trial was an afterthought.

Nope, Trial actually ties into the Alola lore as the Totem Pokémon taps into the energy from Ultra Space, which are prominent in Alola, and gain a boost in their stats.

Plus Alola has more of a take it easy and relax culture and a gym setting just wouldn't fit with that style.

Which is why Trials will remain an Alolan feature and in gen 8 we will see the return of gym leaders.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, Trial actually ties into the Alola lore as the Totem Pokémon taps into the energy from Ultra Space, which are prominent in Alola, and gain a boost in their stats.

Plus Alola has more of a take it easy and relax culture and a gym setting just wouldn't fit with that style.

Which is why Trials will remain an Alolan feature and in gen 8 we will see the return of gym leaders.
It's convenient that trials fit with the Alola theme, but they did come very late into development, and were basically rushed. Who knows what changed their minds, but I sort of figured they ran out of time when Mina didn't even have a trial.

The only reason I am holding out for more Alola Forms is because, until last week, we had never heard of UB Adhesive either. Which means everything hasn't leaked and not everything is known.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
They're definitely a last minute thing, but honestly I really like Totems and Trials.

Pokemon could always stand for having more legitimate boss battles.
Totem Pokemon are a great idea and don't even need to be tied to trials in future games. If they want to bring gyms back, I think it'd be pretty cool to have some Totem Pokemon as side bosses, like at the end of an optional cave or forest.

Everything leading up to the Totem battles felt flat to me though, and I'm interested in seeing how they improve now that they've been given the time to do it right.

It's convenient that trials fit with the Alola theme, but they did come very late into development, and were basically rushed. Who knows what changed their minds, but I sort of figured they ran out of time when Mina didn't even have a trial.

Somehow missed that part of gameinformer's coverage. Didn't realize Ohmori had to design the trials late in development, kind of on the fly, without any help from artists or programmers.

The enhancements seem fine for a 3rd version, aside from no new battle facility so far, but GameFreak seems to be expecting people to forget that Black & White 2 existed, and I'm not sure that will happen.

I sure as hell won't. That game raised the bar in the series, and it's despicable that they can't match that output for weird reasons.

It's funny because Battle Frontier is like a better use of the "trials" concept, imo. You don't battle in the usual way and the game will still test your different skills.

While I like SM, the trials never replaced the gyms to me, they don't really have substance. A Battle Frontier would be perfect for Alola.

A strange thing I noticed. All recent international trailers either removed the scenes with the female character or replaced her with the Male MC.

Here she was replaced by the male character in the photo sequence, the part with Hau was cut and the international trailer removed the new artwork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzd3c7ASejE (JP)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47-xOiNGzgw (TPCi)

In the this one they cut off almost all her scenes in the Ultra spaces, removed the wormhole artwork and replaced her with the male MC in some scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p8nBXLQMPs (JP)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bucxOT8zudk (TPCi)

For the Z-Move trailer they removed completely the dance for Lunala's Z-move (FeMC), but left the Solgaleo one (Male MC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYx1JGUB1GI (JP)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq11wlyxuwk (TPCi)

Fj0823

Surely this powered up Rotom-Dex will be powerful enough to do what Tablet-Dex and GBA-Dex easily could...

Provide basic information of every single Pokemon in existence.

Neonep

This game is a big ask considering that not much has changed since the original and the original only came out a year ago.

All the salt in this thread.

I'm still excited, but I also really enjoyed Moon. *shrug*

Same, though I do think the ad campaign for this, and the last games were awful. Even more so here because they just... have not shown anything to make people excited.

Seeing the new travel areas, the ultra beast domain and what not got me interested but they also have not "sold me" on this title oddly enough. I'm anticipating this game because I very much enjoyed Moon and the Alola region so I'm down to revisit it.

Dryk

GF not reimplementing beloved features and then selling them back to us in 3rd versions is a sick joke at this point.
On the bright side that Lunala Z-move is going to annihilate Lugia.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
XY has good post-game, stop lumping it to that. It's no BW2 post-game, but it had post game unlike the other 3DS games.

I never got to try these Rotom features they're apparently adding back. So basically it's like in-game cheats? The game is overall easy enough. But some of those features look useful for getting other things done.

JoeM86

Care to post that comparison? I would like to see it.

Na it's definitely the other way round.

The games influence the anime, not the other way.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
XY is the only 3DS game that had a feature that managed to last long enough *cough* Friend Ranch *cough*

Friend Safari was thrown out the window the moment they unlocked Pokemon Bank to interact with X & Y and the only thing that was worth a noddle afterwords was the Ditto Safari if you were a breeder because at that point anyone could just import anything that the Friend Safari offered from their Gen III - Gen V games. So no I disagree with you having a feature be alive and useful for only 3 months doesn't equate towards the game having a "good post game"

JoeM86

People seem to have conflated the idea of postgame to just being battle facilities. X & Y had a post game, it was just narrative focused.

Forkball

Friend Safari was thrown out the window the moment they unlocked Pokemon Bank to interact with X & Y and the only thing that was worth a noddle afterwords was the Ditto Safari if you were a breeder because at that point anyone could just import anything that the Friend Safari offered from their Gen III - Gen V games. So no I disagree with you having a feature be alive and useful for only 3 months doesn't equate towards the game having a "good post game"
Friend Safari Pokémon have some perfect IVs and hidden abilities, so they are still worth checking out even if you have the Bank. Plus not everyone has been trading up Pokémon since Gen III, so it was a good way to let players catch more Pokémon. Though I still like the traditional Safari Zone experience.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
People seem to have conflated the idea of postgame to just being battle facilities. X & Y had a post game, it was just narrative focused.

That may be good enough for some players but it's the weakest form of post game content Game Freak has to offer if you ask me. Sure that Looker Mission in X/Y was fine and the Emerald Episode in ORAS was....serviceable but after your first and most likely ONLY playthrough of the game what are you left with? A whole lot of nothing at least with the Battle Frontier you had a variety of replay value.

Friend Safari Pokémon have some perfect IVs and hidden abilities, so they are still worth checking out even if you have the Bank. Plus not everyone has been trading up Pokémon since Gen III, so it was a good way to let players catch more Pokémon. Though I still like the traditional Safari Zone experience.

I was also taking into account the massive amount of players who has access Action Replay on the DS and can simply make those if they wished to do so and even for the sake of being competitive in the VGC you were still better off hatching your own perfect IV Pokemon instead of relying on the randomness of the Friend Safari.

Looker's sidequest was pretty good and online interactivity was great at launch, but then Bank came with the hacked mons and ruined the fun. Episode Delta in ORAS was boring tho, a bunch of text and an "epic" story I never cared about - it was also too short, beat it and got all the legends in a day, it was a poor postgame.

People like battle facilites because they offer more content to play for a long time, replay value is the best too. I even beat all Chatelaine in XY/ORAS, but it's just not as good as the Frontier (they need proper battle themes too!).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Hidden abilities, guaranteed perfect IVs, and being able to get old mons regardless of Bank made it still relevant.

It is much more relevant compared to what the rest of the 3DS "post-game" offered. Yes, even more so than the crappy RNG-shit-will-break-if-I-even-sweat DexNav.

Kenai

Their scope maybe different and bigger but they essentially fill the same role as the Distortion World or that tiny island where you get Latios/Latias in ORAS. You go to a small area for the sole purpose of catching a legendary so these Ultra Space areas where you fight the Ultra Beasts are no different to me.

I don't really see it. Nothing about what we've seen of Ultra Space gives the indication it will be tiny or it will be solely used for catching a few Pokemon. It feels more like the new regions of B2W2 to me, or the new FRLG island set, both of which were very substantial, and the (limited) information has all pointed to a similar indication regarding functionality. Again, hyping up the recon team + new UBs, having (at least) that huge building and surrounding area there, shifting a much larger chunk of the story to revolve around it and a large part of the current (and new) cast going to and from it, and that's all you think it's going to represent? I don't.

I'm not as hyped as I think I should be either (almost completely due to a lack of info of course), but again, I find it a bit silly to critique this particular aspect of the game for being underwhelming when we don't actually know very much about it at all. Basically, this game could easily be B2W2 tier, just as easily as it could be underwhelming. But the base game gave me a lot of hope, since it's on par if not better than B1W1.

Xion_Stellar

I don't really see it. Nothing about what we've seen of Ultra Space gives the indication it will be tiny or it will be solely used for catching a few Pokemon. It feels more like the new regions of B2W2 to me, or the new FRLG island set, both of which were very substantial, and the (limited) information has all pointed to a similar indication regarding functionality. Again, hyping up the recon team + new UBs, having (at least) that huge building and surrounding area there, shifting a much larger chunk of the story to revolve around it and a large part of the current (and new) cast going to and from it, and that's all you think it's going to represent? I don't.

I'm not as hyped as I think I should be either (almost completely due to a lack of info of course), but again, I find it a bit silly to critique this particular aspect of the game for being underwhelming when we don't actually know very much about it at all. Basically, this game could easily be B2W2 tier, just as easily as it could be underwhelming. But the base game gave me a lot of hope, since it's on par if not better than B1W1.

We will see when the game actually comes out but it's much more easier to expect the worst at this point rather than get my hopes up for nothing because 3 times already have they botched post game content in my opinion and failed to deliver a game on par with Black 2 and White 2 so I refuse to set myself up for disappointment again for a 4th time.

I guess I'm just a different kind of player than you guys. The bad one. I never touched any of the Battle Frontier, Battle Facility, or even the others. I didn't like them.

I like more post game content that doesn't have to do with the Frontier type gameplay. So basically story post game content or more legendaries or all of that. I didn't like the middle of the Delta Story cause frankly Zinnia wasn't that great of a character for me but I loved it when I finally got to Rayquaza and Deoxys.

I enjoyed my time with Black 2 and White 2. I really did. But Gen 5 as a whole was "okay" to me. So my love for those games arent nearly as high as the love that you guys have. Honestly Gen 5 was my "just slog through the story" moments. I vastly preferred Gen IV cause of HG/SS. But I'm all right with what I played in Sun and Moon. Do I wish it had more? Of course. But I'm giving US/UM a chance. You can say that I'm part of the problem. That's fine. You can say I have incredibly low standards. I'm all right with that. I'm just gonna keep playing the games until whenever I decide to stop. Please forgive my apathy towards the Frontier and others like it, but I'll just agree to disagree with the people constantly going on every new thread about this game to remind us that they aren't buying it.

the post game story in S/M was extra disappointing because of how much they hyped up the ultra beasts only to have them still just as random encounters in patches of tall grass

even during the main games cutscenes they make it look like a big deal when the portals are opening and the kahuna is facing off against one. None of that felt like it ever went anywhere or affected the islands at all (compared to something like the city being frozen in bw2)

Narrative focus or not, it didn’t have near the replayability of earlier generations’ post-game content. Black and White 2 set very high standards for the franchise going forward in terms of “third versions” and as the only other pair of follow-up titles, are fair comparison.

Toxi

Banned
XY has good post-game, stop lumping it to that. It's no BW2 post-game, but it had post game unlike the other 3DS games.
wat

XY's post game is fucking dreadful. Barely any legendaries, no upgraded Elite 4. Basically nothing but the Looker quest, which was hardly significant from a gameplay perspective. I'm not sure in what universe XY had more of a post game than ORAS or SM.

Oh, you're talking about Friend Safari? I guess it's fun if you like just optimizing shit. It's meaningful post-game for people who enjoy riding a bike around Lumiose Tower for hours.

Top Bottom