• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oooh. Secret sauce 'compute hardware'. That kind of came out of nowhere.

However, there's a fair amount of "secret sauce" in Orbis and we can disclose details on one of the more interesting additions. Paired up with the eight AMD cores, we find a bespoke GPU-like "Compute" module, designed to ease the burden on certain operations - physics calculations are a good example of traditional CPU work that are often hived off to GPU cores. We're assured that this is bespoke hardware that is not a part of the main graphics pipeline but we remain rather mystified by its standalone inclusion, bearing in mind Compute functions could be run off the main graphics cores and that devs could have the option to utilise that power for additional graphical grunt, if they so chose.

And they say only 512MB is reserved for the OS. (They say 2 sources say 3GB is reserved for Durango's)

And same CPU as Durango. 8 Jaguars @ 1.6Ghz.

ron-paul.gif

Wynnebeck

Banned
We also have hard data on Orbis's memory set-up. It features 4GB of GDDR5 - the ultra-fast RAM that typically ships with the latest PC graphics cards - with 512MB reserved for the operating system. This is in stark contrast to the much slower DDR3 that Durango will almost certainly ship with. Microsoft looks set to be using an offshoot of eDRAM technology connected to the graphics core to offset the bandwidth issues the use of DDR3 incurs. Volume of RAM is the key element in Durango's favour - there'll be 8GB in total, with a significant amount (two sources we've spoken to suggest 3GB in total) reserved for the OS.

Welp, that's settled.

That's all starting to look a bit more set in stone. Very interesting. I like how both seem to have some sort of special customisations in there too.

Hopefully this thread will take over from the 5 or so other threads which seem to be continually updated with rumours. :D

Oh shit here we go boys.

Fucking MONSTER machines.

We also have hard data on Orbis's memory set-up. It features 4GB of GDDR5 - the ultra-fast RAM that typically ships with the latest PC graphics cards - with 512MB reserved for the operating system. This is in stark contrast to the much slower DDR3 that Durango will almost certainly ship with. Microsoft looks set to be using an offshoot of eDRAM technology connected to the graphics core to offset the bandwidth issues the use of DDR3 incurs. Volume of RAM is the key element in Durango's favour - there'll be 8GB in total, with a significant amount (two sources we've spoken to suggest 3GB in total) reserved for the OS.

It feels like next-gen is so near. And that sounds beastly. And they say the 720 will be close by so it looks like no BS disparities for anyone. Everything sounds great.

Striek

:/

They seem to think the specs they have fares very well against Durango/expectations, but a underclocked 7970M seems lower than the rest of the rumors?

Edit: Of course this is the first mention of some seperate "compute module", so maybe the picture isn't so clear...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Can I throw in an early suggestion for a layman translation in the OP?

A nice jump from current get. But the guy that suggested that it surpass contemporary high-end Gaming PCs is wrong.

:/

They seem to think the specs they have fares very well against Durango/expectations, but a underclocked 7970M seems lower than the rest of the rumors?

Edit: Of course this is the first mention of some seperate "compute module", so maybe the picture isn't so clear...

Eh, Which rumors? This specs are consistent. Maybe you are thinking about the wishful thinking "rumors"?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So the secret sauce will decide which console will be favoured by the gods?

I doubt that, the workhorses will be in the GPU and CPU (to a lesser extent). But it's unexpected after all the talk about Durango's custom hardware that this only slipped out about Orbis now.

Although maybe we should just have paid more attention to that Sony CTO last year.

“We are looking at an architecture where the bulk of processing will still sit on the main board, with CPU and graphics added to by more digital signal processing and some configurable logic.”

3gb reserved for the os in durango seems unnecessarily excessive. I wonder what it will be used for.

is it too much to hope for that some of that will be used for recording gameplay and uploading clips to youtube?

The Hermit

In developing and optimising next-gen titles for the lower power console CPUs, it would be richly ironic if PC owners reaped the benefits...

eh, very interesting final comment from Eurogamer

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
He should have left that non-sense about PC GPU performance out (totally misleading), but Ledbetter loves to throw red meat to fanboys. In the end is he just recycling all the old rumors, or does he actually know people with real info?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
PS4 = better hardware = more $$$
Nextbox = weaker hardware = less $$$

3gb reserved for the os in durango seems unnecessarily excessive. I wonder what it will be used for.

is it too much to hope for that some of that will be used for recording gameplay and uploading clips to youtube?
I think the assumption here is that it will basically be a running a full operating system like windows 8, or something very close to it.

Cade

Thanks for this, OP. So many rumors that it's nice to see some of the most credible ones summed up in an article like this.

Hoping it's true.

Only thing new here is the secret sauce and the OS usage in PS4. 512 MB seems ideal, I'm glad they are keeping it simple.

I still don't believe the 3Gb for OS in Durango.

Top Bottom