• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata: Nintendo 2013 R&D Preview [Large Scale Restructure, New Miyamoto Team]

El Sloth

Banned
If not, then make Melee HD with lots of tripping :D
This is the much deeper troll. I imagined a narrative in my head where the game is basically presented as Melee HD for the entirety of the pre-launch hype build up and then they conviently "forget" mentioning the mandatory tripping that happens even more frequently this time around

The online schadenfruede would be amazing.

Always respected Iwata's leadership, even if, as a more Western gamer nowadays, I don't agree with everything he does.

I'm not familiar with the 'new' guys, but it sounds like the right move to me. Succession planning and all that.

D_prOdigy

This might be a terrible question, but is there a source for this? I would take it at face value if someone wants to tell me the source is just Shikamaru Ninja - because we know he's reliable - but it's confusing me that the OP mentions sources but provides no links. I can't find any mention of this on those sites.

/Ban if stupid.

Cygnus X-1

O_O

Holy crap. What a massive change. Miyamoto leaving EAD is.....incredible. But maybe it will be beneficial for the freedom of certain young developers.

It's good to see Nintendo changing things up.

It was becoming apparent that their old structure was being strained, so hopefully their new one lets them have a lot more output, both in terms of volume and variety.

Iwata realized that long ago. The problem is that you can't built up new buildings in a month. It's a process that with planing, approval, start of the project and concrete work requires years. It's good that they're almost finished. 2013 will probably be a mess with so many people moving from one place to another one - hope they organized things well enough - but after that I suspect the development will be much more smoother and efficient.

test_account

XP-39C²
He's referring to "Western design philosophies" being mostly corridor crap.

Which is bullshit, of course.
Yeah, but even some of Retro's games are linear, like most recent Donkey Kong Country Returns. You move in one direction and set-pieces happends when you reach certain points in the levels. I have no problem with that, so i just had to ask him if he didnt like those types of games :)

F#A#Oo

Banned
And as has already been pointed out, this restructuring was a product of addressing output deficiencies. None of these changes are, in any capacity whatsoever, due to Nintendo bending to your postulated considerations.

In your opinion. Which is not fact. :)

Where I'm standing the drought on the Wii and stuff like third parties not supporting Nintendo systems has help move things along. If you look at the 3DS launch Nintendo let third party's have a go at making an impact during the launch period and they all kinda came up short. Even when Nintendo is freeing them up to make money.

It's what you should have expected. There is absolutely no reason for third parties to go out of their way to accommodate a platform that wasn't compatible with their development tools. If the Wii had modern hardware, there wouldn't be much stopping it from getting the same grade-A efforts that the PS3/360 were presented with.

This makes no sense. Not compatible? What? I guess there's no such thing as a Nintendo development kit and all the middleware Nintendo licenses out...lol

You really have not got a clue.

And since that time, there has been plenty of third party titles worth owning.

Some yes...could have been better...Wii reached critical mass for shovelware.

So, in your special, little world, the Wii has been the first to have been subject to such a phenomenon?

Not on such a large scale no...not even the PS2 had the amount of rubbish the Wii ended up with.

Let me tell you something: if the PS3/360 had been pushing PS2/NDS/Wii numbers, you would be witnessing the very same effect.

Since it seems you've completely closed off all channels of reason and are hellbent on pushing your lala-land narrative, I'm not going to bother responding to you anymore.

Wow! Let me get this straight you respond to one of my posts...I reply back and you now wanna run away? You want a one way debate. What a knob! Run along then.

lynguist

Neo Member
Can someone please resolve all the acronyms for me? I can figure out that R&D stands for research and development, but what do EAD, SPD, and IP stand for?

F#A#Oo

Banned
Can someone please resolve all the acronyms for me? I can figure out that R&D stands for research and development, but what do EAD, SPD, and IP stand for?

EAD = Entertainment Analysis and Development

SPD = Software Planning & Development

IP = Intellectual Property

lynguist

Neo Member
EAD = Entertainment Analysis and Development

SPD = Software Planning & Development

IP = Intellectual Property

Thus am I correctly understanding the following:

“Miyamoto's Departure Inspiring New IPs for the EAD Kyoto Division”

as: New Nintendo franchises will be created by young developers supervised by Miyamoto?

F#A#Oo

Banned

as: New Nintendo franchises will be created by young developers supervised by Miyamoto?

Yes. That sounds like it's the case. If it is what I think it is then he will work with smaller teams and give his usual feedback/force them to change stuff but on smaller scale and budget games. Away from the Mario's and Zelda's.

Personally I'd like to see him get back on the saddle of coming up with a new IP. His last (proper) IP was Pikmin so I wonder what else he has in his head.

Lyude77

I think it's more like "Miyamoto's departure from an experienced development team allows them to make new Nintendo franchises." Your interpretation is also true but was on a different point.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I think it's more like "Miyamoto's departure from an experienced development team allows them to make new Nintendo franchises." Your interpretation is also true but was on a different point.

I really don't think Tezuka is going to back anymore new IP's than Miyamoto would.

Koizumi looks like he would though.

BD1

Banned
I like these changes, and in some ways think they are a bit overdue. Regardless, to support an HD console with a renewed focus on core games, they needed to make changes and they did.

A few months back, I was convinced a formal reorg of their Western Develoment was coming. The hiring increase at Retro, the addition of Hirokazu Yasuhara at NST, the alleged development of Eternal Darkness 2 and Dyack admitting Nintendo was still a silent partner; it all seemed to be adding up. I thought Nintendo would announce the acquisition of 1-2 more established Western Devs, the roll it up into brand new, shiny division.

Didn't happen, but I'm not convinced that it won't in the future. I think Iwata wants a big time Western mega IP badly.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh well, we'll see how it goes. Do stuff like this get publicized?

High-five for the Power Rangers reference?

(I know not exactly Power Rangers, but don't watch the Japanese equivalent)

Well, Japanese equivalent (though PR equivalent uses the same acronym)

Japanese has sexier Doggie tho :3

Massa

You're right, games like Borderlands 2 and Mark of the Ninja and Sleeping Dogs and XCOM and Dishonored are nothing but linear set-piece experiences, unlike Japanese games such as Resident Evil 6.

Well, one could argue that the exact problem with Resident Evil 6 is a Japanese studio trying to go with what they think is a more western friendly design philosophy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You're right, games like Borderlands 2 and Mark of the Ninja and Sleeping Dogs and XCOM and Dishonored are nothing but linear set-piece experiences, unlike Japanese games such as Resident Evil 6.

Err, Borderlands 2 is actually filled with action set pieces.

Sakurai joining EAD really doesn't mean that much to me. They were already fucking incredible, if anything seeing them get expanded is much more exciting. I mean i love Sakurais games but EAD is pretty much as good as developers get already.

It's less about quality than it is about the combination of design ideas. You're right that EAD Tokyo can't get much better, but seeing them work on the types of projects that Sakurai, rather than just 3D Mario, would be really cool.

ohlawd

Yeah, but even some of Retro's games are linear, like most recent Donkey Kong Country Returns. You move in one direction and set-pieces happends when you reach certain points in the levels. I have no problem with that, so i just had to ask him if he didnt like those types of games :)

DKRC has to be linear.

It's a 2d platformer o.o

Comet

Nintendo desperate needs new IPs (well not really, but desperately if they want to keep the attention of some of the core gamers who have become disillusioned by the big N)

test_account

XP-39C²
DKRC has to be linear.

It's a 2d platformer o.o
I know, i have no problem with it. Sometimes the word "linear" are used in a negative way for games, this isnt always the case in my opinion. 2D platformers for example (although these doesnt necessarily have to be linear, game like Metroid and later Castlevania games are not 100% linear). But this is also subjective of course. Maybe someone doesnt like 2D platformers because they are linear. That is why i asked him earlier :)

I know, i have no problem with it. Sometimes the word "linear" are used in a negative way for games, this isnt always the case in my opinion. 2D platformers for example (although these doesnt necessarily have to be linear, game like Metroid and later Castlevania games are not 100% linear). But this is also subjective of course. Maybe someone doesnt like 2D platformers because they are linear. That is why i asked him earlier :)
Metroid and Igavania aren't really platformers.

Something like Kirby and the Amazing Mirror or VVVVVV probably skirts that line more (even though the latter technically has no jumping).

test_account

XP-39C²
Metroid and Igavania aren't really platformers.

Something like Kirby and the Amazing Mirror or VVVVVV probably skirts that line more (even though the latter technically has no jumping).
Is there any exact definition of a platformer? Personally when i think of platformers, i think of games that contains relatively much jumping and fighting enemies. Both Castlevania and Metroid have these elements.

All of that sounds like great news.

Tezuka should do well as Miyamoto's replacement. Interesting that they may have managed to rope Sakurai back in officially.

Nah...Tezuka is part of the old guard that along with Miyamoto needs to move on to other things and let the younger guys do their thing. I'm all for Tezuka and Miyamoto focusing on their own smaller, original projects while guys who grew up playing Mario and Zelda games get a chance to make the kind of Mario and Zelda games they'd make and not the kind Miyamoto thinks everyone wants. I have nothing but respect for those two, but sometimes to breathe new life into something you need to let fresh new talent come in and do their thing without the old men looking over their shoulders all the time. Miyamoto senses this, so I hope Tezuka follows suit.

wmHKA.gif

Top Bottom