• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Sitrus

First review up by Hardcoregamer.com

Looks they enjoyed the game immensely, even stating it's the best JRPG of the year. And honestly I agree, not that there were much competition anyway. I hope the reviews and the word of mouth will make this game a financial success to warrant XSEED to localize the other games.

Dolgan

Nice OT!

Will play this after I finished Trails SC (which I haven't started yet) and Xenoblade X... so I might start posting my impressions in a few months!

I already bought the CE to show my support, though (hoping for more Trails games in the future).

Shizuka

Looks they enjoyed the game immensely, even stating it's the best JRPG of the year. And honestly I agree, not that there were much competition anyway. I hope the reviews and the word of mouth will make this game a financial success to warrant XSEED to localize the other games.

They must've marathoned the game, I'm still halfway through the game despite playing five hours a day.

max_505

Just got Vita CE from amazon.ca, really love it, the box quality top notch.

Yeah, I agree. Aside from the awesome front cover, it's much more sturdier and heavier this time around. It's like the total opposite of the Celceta LE box LOL.

Has anybody else pre-ordered the LE Vita version from Amazon and still not have it ship or even have an estimated arrival time?

My order is still on the "We need more time..." nonsense. Has me a bit nervous on whether they might just cancel the order. This is the first time I've ever had an order like this on Amazon, been a Prime member for years.

Anyways looking forward to the game when it finally shows up.

I pre-ordered the Vita LE from Amazon and supposedly it has shipped, but it was delayed with the carrier. If you are that worried about it, Best Buy still has copies available.

Nyoro SF

Yeah, I agree. Aside from the awesome front cover, it's much more sturdier and heavier this time around. It's like the total opposite of the Celceta LE box LOL.

That's a relief to hear. Most special editions come with some really cheap cardboard, forcing me to do in-store pickups.

emb

There will be a patch that'll likely enable PSTV compatibility today.
Aw, thought it would be supported out of the box. :(

An instant patch is the next best thing, but still a little disappointing just to know. I never will understand why PSTV works the way it does. Should be blacklisting applications and games known not to work, not whitelisting the ones that do. I'm sure there's plenty of technical details that are just beyond me.

Aeana

I don't think the game is all that long if you just run through the essential quests, but that wouldn't be any fun.

On the other hand, this game has some of the most blah sidequests in the series in my opinion, so I'd say that people who are going for 100% should pace themselves.

Moofers

Thanks for sharing this. I'm pretty excited after reading about how there are so many characters and even the lesser ones get a ton of time to have their stories told. That sounds awesome. I'm suddenly hyped for this like crazy, and it was off my radar altogether just a couple of days ago.

Thanks for getting word out, GAF!

It's super weird how the review never acknowledges TitS SC was localized this year. I mean, it's great to mention all these JRPGs, but it's strange to never really make a Sky comparison.

Shizuka

Aw, thought it would be supported out of the box. :(

An instant patch is the next best thing, but still a little disappointing just to know. I never will understand why PSTV works the way it does. Should be blacklisting applications and games known not to work, not whitelisting the ones that do. I'm sure there's plenty of technical details that are just beyond me.

It's all up to Sony, there isn't a specific magic the publisher or the developer needs to work on most of the time.

It took me 90 hours on Normal doing everything I could in a single playthrough.

Whats the situation on hidden stuff and missables in this game?

I messed up Max BP and probably missed good chunks of dialog since I have no intentino of replaying any of them

same deal here or is it a bit more lenient?

Gu4n

Whats the situation on hidden stuff and missables in this game?

I messed up Max BP and probably missed good chunks of dialog since I have no intentino of replaying any of them

same deal here or is it a bit more lenient?
It's more lenient than SC (pretty much everything is), but you have larger margin to miss AP. Still, if you're aiming for rank A1, which I recommend if only for the bonus item in Cold Steel II, keep an eye on a FAQ.

BOTEC

How is the pacing of this game? I tried Trails In the Sky, but couldn't get into it because of how slow and plodding it felt.

How is the pacing of this game? I tried Trails In the Sky, but couldn't get into it because of how slow and plodding it felt.

Yeah

I had the same problem in the very beginning... I tell ya what though. Once I toughed it out and got out of the first town its has been a damn whirlwind rollercoaster that dragged me through both games

You gotta best that hurdle... It helps when the combat options and expand and battles become more fun. Also thats when you start getting more and more gear, better story beats... everything starts clicking to keep you addicted lol

Gu4n

It's pretty much the same pacing, but more rigidly structured. It's the only way they could guide you through the massive Empire.

Ocelott

After beating FFX for the 10th time ...I think will give this game a shot. Really liking the write on the ps blog and the OT.

matmanx1

Amazon says they are shipping my Lionheart Vita version today and it should arrive by Thursday. Maybe I will get to play this on Christmas? That would be nice!

Shizuka

The art style is pretty nice and I happen to have a fetish for grumpy glasses guys. All the main character designs seem to stick pretty rigidly to the basic archetypes, but I think it works kinda well with the artwork?

The artwork makes them a lot more interesting compared to their sprites.

Gu4n

The art style is pretty nice and I happen to have a fetish for grumpy glasses guys. All the main character designs seem to stick pretty rigidly to the basic archetypes, but I think it works kinda well with the artwork?
Yes, the game uses the archetypes as its point of departure but goes in interesting ways from that point onward. I recommend to just sit back and enjoy the ride before it's suddenly over. :)

Jiraiza

Yes, the game uses the archetypes as its point of departure but goes in interesting ways from that point onward. I recommend to just sit back and enjoy the ride before it's suddenly over. :)

It's a pretty long ride, what with two more games after this one.

Eusis

On the other hand, this game has some of the most blah sidequests in the series in my opinion, so I'd say that people who are going for 100% should pace themselves.
That's disappointing. Trails in the Sky was more a pain to 100% due to a lot of easily missed stuff or decisions easy to mess up (I noticed I was missing 3 BP in SC, and that can traced all the way back to... The prologue, and I think it was the wrong answer after a "major" event) but the side quests were almost always engaging. If this is flatter events or worse MMO-esque fetch quests then I definitely will be inclined to phone the more obnoxious ones in unless there's a damn good reward.

Got my LE. Really great quality stuff. Box feels sturdy and good. Looking forward to playing this later today. The ps3's physical manual lists Alisa's full last name in it in her bio, weirdly enough.
Anyone have a link to a good guide to getting 100% of whatever the bracer point equivalent is? I'd like to have that handy for my playthrough.

Top Bottom