• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

AcridMeat

Banned
Was the thread posted? I need a link.
KevinTurtle.png

Soma

had a good time meeting you dudes yesterday. would love to join in on the next one whenever that happens.

also hateradio is pretty interesting when he's been drinking... lol

Had some family surprise me with a birthday get together so obviously I wasn't able to make it. Sorry guys

I'm down for whatever other shenanigans you guys plan in the future though.

I did wanna give a quick review of Nobu in Palo Alto while I'm here.

DON'T GO!

Went on my birthday and had a horrible experience from start to finish. We went later in the afternoon and we were presented with limited food options that were far from what we were expecting. The staff is rude and inconsiderate and the management couldn't care any less. I even explained how much of a disappointment it was given our excitement and they just didn't care. It was a huge let down that I hope they will get around to fixing after a few months. They didn't even have a sample or omakase menu!

We ended up in the Oakridge mall of all places and got some Sanraku sushi. It wasn't planned but I loved the food we got there and the service was great. I recommend that place highly as probably one of the best South Bay sushi spots.

v1lla21

Yeah yesterday was really fun.

That sucks bro :/ Sanraku is actually pretty good. Went there last year for my birthday and got the sushi and sashimi platter and my gf ordered a roll that were both really good. They have a good selection of sake too but I got the Onikoroshi and otokoyama sake. Both were very damn good.

Haven't gone back since though as Sen Dai in Milpitas is my go to spot for sushi.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
We ended up in the Oakridge mall of all places and got some Sanraku sushi. It wasn't planned but I loved the food we got there and the service was great. I recommend that place highly as probably one of the best South Bay sushi spots.
Mall sushi being the best sushi in the south bay?

My god, I made a huge mistake!

I'll be in LA for a few days, already planning on going to AYCE on Wednesday. 🙌

Mall sushi being the best sushi in the south bay?

My god, I made a huge mistake!

I'll be in LA for a few days, already planning on going to AYCE on Wednesday. 🙌

To be honest it's not really mall sushi. Oakridge has two transplant restaurants with Jinya Ramen and Sanraku being there. Kind of a weird place to open a shop up if you ask me, but they both are good in my book.

You should check out Katsuya in LA too, it's pretty good.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...t-floods-in-Bay-Area-from-rising-11284750.php

Coastal neighborhoods in several Bay Area cities are likely to face such frequent flooding from rising sea levels over the next century that residents will simply pack up and leave, according to a new study of the effects of climate change.

Every local county will be dealing with frequent inundation of its bay shoreline by 2100, according to a report issued Wednesday by the Union of Concerned Scientists. The group said its report and accompanying maps, published in the peer-reviewed journal Elementa, are the first nationwide effort to identify the point at which coastal communities face the no-win decision of having to flee or fight sea level rise.

The report’s authors put the point of no return at the stage when at least 10 percent of a community experiences flooding 26 days a year, or one day every two weeks. When a town is “chronically inundated,” the report’s authors say, the slow creep of sea level rise causes road closures and sends water into basements, pushing down real estate values. Rather than deal with the constant annoyance and mess, residents head for higher ground.

California will increasingly see these problems as the century wears on, the report says. The island city of Alameda, neighboring Oakland and landfill-laden San Mateo, San Rafael and South San Francisco will be chronically inundated even under a scenario of merely moderate global warming by 2100, the report predicts.

Under a rapid warming scenario, many more cities will see neighborhoods depopulated within the lifetime of people who are alive now, the report says. By 2065, San Francisco, Corte Madera, Larkspur, Burlingame, East Palo Alto and Palo Alto could see chronic flooding in areas near the waterfront, along with expanded areas of the other flood-prone cities.

This scenario is increasingly likely, given accelerating ice-sheet melt in the Arctic and Antarctica, the report said.

L3lMiD9.jpg

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Geeze... I think I'm just outside of the floodzone, but it's projected to spill over 880. The area better start planning and working on flood structures like, yesterday.

So tried some Black Bark and my goodness was that good. That might just be some of the best bbq I've had here in the bay. Thank you all for suggesting that place in the meetup thread.

I was sad to see validation at the japantown parking garage is now increased a whole $20 more than the last time I was there. That and they got rid of the table flipping arcade game.... WHY?!?!?! I need to vent my anger out on a family of digital foreigners.

hateradio

Is the next one for early or late August?

lol Foster City just gone. don't build entire towns on landfill just above sea level, folks
And the 101 will be named the South Bay Bridge. 😂

I'm kinda laughing at the hubris of tech companies setting up shop all over the bay, where they will be flooded in 100 years.

Google to move to Stockton!

AcridMeat

Banned

And the 101 will be named the South Bay Bridge. ��

I'm kinda laughing at the hubris of tech companies setting up shop all over the bay, where they will be flooded in 100 years.

Google to move to Stockton!
Already workshopping a movie in a world set a couple hundreds years in the future, and Atlantis is actually the former Google headquarters.
Fuck I gotta go to black bark soon
Oh man, definitely gonna check this place out
Let's go fellas.

hateradio

I'm down for Friday.
Let's hold on a minute!

I'm going to get fat.

AYCE sushi last Monday, fast food Thursday-Sunday at Comic-Con, Gen AYCE KBBQ Tuesday, Shake Shack today. My body needs rest. 😭

Already workshopping a movie in a world set a couple hundreds years in the future, and Atlantis is actually the former Google headquarters.
Bu-bu-but the Atlantic is on the other side. Pacifis?

AcridMeat

Banned
Can't do this Friday, let's plan a day in August (at least for my own selfish convenience)
Wow I just saw that predicted flood map. We live in Corte Madera, 3-5 miles south of San Rafael. Yeah -- we're fucked lol
Haha no shit you're like 3 miles from me.
Let's hold on a minute!

I'm going to get fat.

AYCE sushi last Monday, fast food Thursday-Sunday at Comic-Con, Gen AYCE KBBQ Tuesday, Shake Shack today. My body needs rest. 😭

Bu-bu-but the Atlantic is on the other side. Pacifis?
Well the rest of the world is underwater. Pacific and Atlantic joined.

Not sure if there any UC Berkeley Letters of Science/CS folks here but if you are, do you guys have a recommendation for a good tecnhical upper div course that's 3-4 units? I'm currently mapping out what courses I should take for the next 3 years.

Already considering taking CS 162, 189, 188, 170, 164, and 161.

Can't meet with a major advisor since I'm undeclared and taking the CS prerequisites still.

Don't really know where else to ask for advice and I know there are some Cal students here so anything will be helpful.

Not sure if there any UC Berkeley Letters of Science/CS folks here but if you are, do you guys have a recommendation for a good tecnhical upper div course that's 3-4 units? I'm currently mapping out what courses I should take for the next 3 years.

Can't meet with a major advisor since I'm undeclared and taking the CS prerequisites still.

Don't really know where else to ask for advice and I know there are some Cal students here so anything will be helpful.

You try the Berkeley subreddit?

Droplet

PM me.

Edzi

I forgot the number (was it 162?) but don't bother with the UI class. It was a waste of time.

Miletius

Just checking in since there seems to be a few Cal students popping in and saying hi. I'll be on campus starting the week of the 12th (for transfer orientation). Would be happy to see a GAFer or two on campus (and outside of that, of course).

Until then I'll be putzing around on the Peninsula. I'm actually really looking forward to school starting, as I kinda jumped the gun and have had nothing to do for a couple of weeks here.

XAL

I bought an Outsidelands VIP 3 day pass because a bunch of acts were gonna be playing...

Then of course I find out ALL of the bands I want to see are playing Friday and only Friday.

I was considering selling it at a discount, then I looked online and a lot of people are selling it off at cost already soooo fuck

AcridMeat

Banned
I bought an Outsidelands VIP 3 day pass because a bunch of acts were gonna be playing...

Then of course I find out ALL of the bands I want to see are playing Friday and only Friday.

I was considering selling it at a discount, then I looked online and a lot of people are selling it off at cost already soooo fuck
Which day is NIN?

GamerJM

Banned
Anyone know of any high quality DDR machines in the South Bay? I can't play doubles without 8 functional arrows --> --> <-- -->

The Boardwalk in Santa Cruz has an ITG2 cab, which is a little ways away. There used to be more around here several years ago but idk where they went (there was one at the Jungle at one point, there was one at a Lazertag place several years ago).

As for just DDR, there's a Round 1 arcade as Eastridge. Back in the day I used to go to Nickel City to play DDR all the time (and Chuck E Cheese for Pump LOL) but Nickel City recently closed down and last time I checked they had a kinda crappy SuperNOVA cab anyways. I also know that Great America had a DDR Extreme cab that I played on sometimes at one point.

I mostly just play OpenITG/LR2 on PC these days instead because I'm too lazy/anxious/cheap to leave the house to go to an arcade tbh. So I dunno how some of these are.

ALSO, you missed it, but last weekend at CAX someone brought a functional old DDRMAX cab that was modded to run OpenITG and it had like every relevant song ever loaded onto it.

v1lla21

Fuuuuuck. I remember nickel city, Good times. I used to go to Chuck e cheese all the time too. I loved their greasy pizza.

PsychBat!

Banned
What's happening baygaf? Recent thread provided a link to this thread and I thought I check it out. Born in Santa Clara, raised in Milpitas til I was 7 then moved to SJ.

Armadilo

Banned
I'll be visiting on Friday and Saturday of next week, I'm from Modesto. I'm going to take a film class for one day and wanted to know if there's anything happening that's cool on the 18 or 19.

Top Bottom