• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Ken

Is a slayer viable for party stuff? Don't want to be the one left out of groups. :(

Also, is the majority of GAF on PvP or PvE server?

vaelic

Banned
i-5SpGRMQ-X2.jpg

Muddimar

I've decided I really hate warrior "tanks". Every single one I've played with sucks horribly. They can't dodge well, they take insane amounts of damage, from what I can see they don't do a whole lot of damage, they can't keep aggro. I had two of them in my party when running SM last night, I'm a 28 priest, constantly was low on mana. I almost never have mana issues, unless it's a warrior "tank". I really don't understand the point of the warrior class... maybe later they get a clearly defined role in this game? Anyone ever had a good experience with a warrior "tank"?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've decided I really hate warrior "tanks". Every single one I've played with sucks horribly. They can't dodge well, they take insane amounts of damage, from what I can see they don't do a whole lot of damage, they can't keep aggro. I had two of them in my party when running SM last night, I'm a 28 priest, constantly was low on mana. I almost never have mana issues, unless it's a warrior "tank". I really don't understand the point of the warrior class... maybe later they get a clearly defined role in this game? Anyone ever had a good experience with a warrior "tank"?

The Warrior class CAN be a valid tank, but the player has to be GREAT. You literally cannot be a mediocre to good player and do well as a Warrior tank. Lancers, on the other hand, can do fine being sub-par. A great Lancer tank stands out (my group last night while we doing Fangspawns commended me on my awesome tanking and positioning), but a "meh" one does the job better than your average Warrior.

It's the unfortunate truth of the class.

44 and a half. ;_;

Having work is suffering.

Same boat. Full time job means I can only play about 5 hours a day, but I'm going to do some catching up this weekend. There were people in my guild in the 51-52 range with a lot of 50s when I logged. I didn't think anyone would be able to hit 60 within two weeks but it might just happen by the end of this weekend.

I'm not rushing to cap or anything but quest experience is actually pretty insane right now. I think I got like 5 million from one camp last night.

Why is this taking so long? Been downloading now for 5 hours andI'm only at 35%. Comcast cable modem has slowed to 261 kB/s??? And I disable P2P. Is this becasue everyone is downloading the game right now?

I was just staring at the dustclouds. and it was just clouds with low opacity lol. you won't notice unless you stop and stare.

I was kinda hoping this was a bam in disguise.

Xiaoki

Is a slayer viable for party stuff? Don't want to be the one left out of groups. :(

By party stuff you mean .....?

Anyway, Slayers are the best melee DPS with great damage and mobility.

The only reason a party wouldnt take you as a Slayer is because they already have a Slayer.

Gvaz

Banned
Some people in the 4chan guild on VoT were 57 last night.

I got halfway to 43 and went to bed, I figure I'm not gonna get prime.

I guess I'm missing it somehow, but does anyone know how to disable the profanity filter? I'm tired of seeing this: "I don't give a ####!"
It's server side (third party even). You can't.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I guess I'm missing it somehow, but does anyone know how to disable the profanity filter? I'm tired of seeing this: "I don't give a ####!"

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I've never played on a PvP server of any MMO; I think I'll roll a character on one. GAF PvP guild staying put on VoT?

LuCkymoON

Banned
I would go Castanic for slayers, their racial skill is useful and they get a crit bonus for attacking from behind. (Dirty fighting)

Wallach

I four manned SM with a Warrior tanking, we didn't have any issues. It's simply harder for them to do it well, especially so at low level.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's generally harder for us yeah, less tools, and necessity of kiting makes it a chore for everyone.

After trying to "tank" a Fangspawn, then doing it with a Lancer tanking, I've all but given up on warrior tanking. It just an abysmal experience, especially when the BAM has awful animations.

Muddimar

It's generally harder for us yeah, less tools, and necessity of kiting makes it a chore for everyone.

After trying to "tank" a Fangspawn, then doing it with a Lancer tanking, I've all but given up on warrior tanking. It just doesn't work, especially if they have bad animations.

It's a nightmare for a priest. The moment I think it's safe to lay down my healing circle *Jump* *Skip* *Flaily Move* and they don't get healed. That, or I'm flailing my mouse around trying to aim my healing spell at the flaily warrior. A lot of flailing and *sighing* on my end lol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

After trying to "tank" a Fangspawn, then doing it with a Lancer tanking, I've all but given up on warrior tanking. It just an abysmal experience, especially when the BAM has awful animations.

To be honest thats the worst example. Thats pretty much the one thing a warrior cant really tank. And you are not literally supposed to straight up avoid every single little hit if it causes the mob to move around, time your damage reduction attacks properly. Well unless you dont got a healer :p

It's a nightmare for a priest. The moment I think it's safe to lay down my healing circle *Jump* *Skip* *Flaily Move* and they don't get healed. That, or I'm flailing my mouse around trying to aim my healing spell at the flaily warrior. A lot of flailing and *sighing* on my end lol.

No that's just a fail ass warrior who is scared to get hit, still gets hit and makes life hell for everyone.
The class as a dps is brain dead easy. The class as a tank is a reason they are 5 stars.

Wray

Currently up to level 16 and loving the game so far. Combat is very fun and the graphics are awesome for a MMO.

My question is, what are the current plans for Raid content at end game? Are there any active raid dungeons implemented yet. If not, where can I find some info on what raid dungeons they have planned. I didnt see anything on the website.

Wallach

No that's just a fail ass warrior who is scared to get hit, still gets hit and makes life hell for everyone.

Yeah. You can tell almost immediately if the Warrior has any sense if they try to dodge roll through the mob while tanking as if they were soloing. If they're doing that, you should probably prepare your anus for BAM docking.

Ken

I would go Castanic for slayers, their racial skill is useful and they get a crit bonus for attacking from behind. (Dirty fighting)

I wanted to make an Elin/Elf slayer. :(

I'll probably pick up the game today and join the GAF server. If I still have the CBeta installed, will it just patch that or will I have to reinstall?

Wallach

I'll probably pick up the game today and join the GAF server. If I still have the CBeta installed, will it just patch that or will I have to reinstall?

Make either one, racials in this game are honestly super trivial. The ones you can click have a 1 hour cooldown and the passives are really minor.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm okay with this actually, once I get into PVP I don't want Racials to be a deciding factor in all my fights.

GW2 also realized this problem and just disabled them in PVP entirely, but since GW2 PVP is completely structured such a solution is not viable for TERA. This is the next best thing.

It also means I can roll a high elf Lancer and not be afraid that OMG YOU'RE NOT A BARAKA TANK GTFO. The less MMOs are about numbers, the better.

Wallach

Is there a place where I can view end game armor?

I think it's tera-online.cc - I can't vouch for this site's safety as I view it on a lockdown box but it seems fine. It's not in English but just pick the race from the left menu, then on the next page scroll down and click the male/female graphic for the armor type you want (robe, light or heavy).

Reikon

I did SM speed runs with a warrior tank. We didn't have any problems even though we did huge pulls. Their added DPS helps doing speed runs compared to lancer too.

I've never actually had a bad warrior tank ruin an instance. Hell, some healers prefer the bad ones or at least huge pulls that make lots of damage unavoidable since it makes healing more interesting. With a good tank, the healer rarely has to do anything.

I've never played on a PvP server of any MMO; I think I'll roll a character on one. GAF PvP guild staying put on VoT?

We are indeed.

ALL NEW TERA-GAFFERS: Valley of Titans is where it is HAPPENING. Be there and be square.

If you can't get into Valley of Titans right now due it being closed/full, roll on another PVP server and you can transfer when they open the server back up. Transfers are free and can happen once every 24 hours but you can only transfer from PVP to PVP or PVE to PVE.

I hit 47 last night but sleeping 4 hours a night is making me a zombie at work. Ugh.

By now, VoT should have it's server first 60. Guy was 59 when I logged off.

Damn you. You were a level above me when I logged. :(

I've been doing about 4-5 hours of sleep a night myself and it is killing me at work. Probably going to start calling it earlier and play more on the weekend.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I want to buy this, but I worry about the longevity of MMOs that aren't WoW. How is the community so far?

Check back in a month when all the derpy barenschat mmo of the month people are gone. Most of the people I've played with are nice and the servers are normally pretty jam packed.

LuCkymoON

Banned

You can do that, the crit bonus is only 1% =p

crazy Eyefinity screenshots thanks to BlackMagix on the official Tera forums

you can find more here.

Scum

Would be nice to have teleporters at the small "campsites" so that it make travelling back less of a chore. Not too bother at the moment though.
BTW, there's no buyback option from the merchants, is there? :-/

are all servers in EU down ? or is it just me
Prepping for launch. They'll probably go live @ midnight.

Top Bottom