• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

You guys are gonna see me as the cynical one yet again, but eh, whatever.

- RE7 is done, yet they have like ten DLCs planned for that game including Story episodes and new gameplay modes. I doubt they are done with that game yet.
- Same with SFV and its new updates/contents. Even if the majority of team has moved on from the game I don't think these are the same guys who did MvC3? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think MvC:I is being done by a separate team, just like MvC3 was different from SFIV.
- REmake 2 is happening and supposedly it's a big Remake and not a simple remaster
- A portion of staff are working on DDO. Same with the teams who work on 3DS titles like MH and Ace Attorney.
- Lastly I don't think saying the Sengoku or LP team haven't made anything is very accurate. I think the team structure at Capcom might be a lot more flexible than one might think. I'm sure the LP team hasn't been sitting idly by in the past 7 years (since LP2, cause LP3 was outsourced). These teams most likely help other, bigger, projects like RE and stuff.

At any rate, what I'm saying is that Capcom probably has enough resources to support 2 other home console projects at the moment. So if these leaks are true, then either the majority of them are mobile/handheld titles so we are getting DMC5 in addition to them or they are all home console games and Capcom has decided that it'll be better to invest in new titles rather than sequels.

Bottom line, Capcom can't be working on 3 new home console games (even mid-tiers) + supporting RE7 & SFV & DDO + REmake 2 + MvC:I + DMC5. That's just not feasible for the current Capcom.

Exactly. So what's gonna make them more money? 3 new IPs that they're not even sure are gonna be successful or making games in their top 5-10 selling franchises?

This rumor was just some random post on Reddit at the end of the day lol.

Itsuno's got to be working on something ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Dhv4k8X.jpg

I hope not

Exactly. So what's gonna make them more money? 3 new IPs that they're not even sure are gonna be successful or making games in their top 5-10 selling franchises?

This rumor was just some random post on Reddit at the end of the day lol.
I would definitely go for sequels. But this is Capcom we are talking about, so let's pray that they don't pull another Cacpcpom on us.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You guys are gonna see me as the cynical one yet again, but eh, whatever.

- RE7 is done, yet they have like ten DLCs planned for that game including Story episodes and new gameplay modes. I doubt they are done with that game yet.
- Same with SFV and its new updates/contents. Even if the majority of team has moved on from the game I don't think these are the same guys who did MvC3? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think MvC:I is being done by a separate team, just like MvC3 was different from SFIV.
- REmake 2 is happening and supposedly it's a big Remake and not a simple remaster
- A portion of staff are working on DDO. Same with the teams who work on 3DS titles like MH and Ace Attorney.
- Lastly I don't think saying the Sengoku or LP team haven't made anything is very accurate. I think the team structure at Capcom might be a lot more flexible than one might think. I'm sure the LP team hasn't been sitting idly by in the past 7 years (since LP2, cause LP3 was outsourced). These teams most likely help other, bigger, projects like RE and stuff.

At any rate, what I'm saying is that Capcom probably has enough resources to support 2 other home console projects at the moment. So if these leaks are true, then either the majority of them are mobile/handheld titles so we are getting DMC5 in addition to them or they are all home console games and Capcom has decided that it'll be better to invest in new titles rather than sequels.

Bottom line, Capcom can't be working on 3 new home console games (even mid-tiers) + supporting RE7 & SFV & DDO + REmake 2 + MvC:I + DMC5. That's just not feasible for the current Capcom.

I think something to keep in perspective is that they don't need a single "team" for every project. These rumored titles would be at different stages of development, and different development groups with respect to concept art, planning, asset creation, writing, casting, etc. aren't need throughout the entire development cycle.

Being "in development" is a very very long process and talent will filter in and out.

As mentioned earlier, we can only speculate as to scale and budget. Capcom saw a lot of success with smaller and more budget friendly titles last gen.

I think something to keep in perspective is that they don't need a single "team" for every project. These rumored titles would be at different stages of development, and different development groups with respect to concept art, planning, asset creation, writing, casting, etc. aren't need throughout the entire development cycle.

Being "in development" is a very very long process and talent will filter in and out.

As mentioned earlier, we can only speculate as to scale and budget. Capcom saw a lot of success with smaller and more budget friendly titles last gen.
I guess my question would be that how budget friendly do you guys think these title could be and what kind of titles they'll be? Cause reading the details about this supposed Knights game, I can't think of any way that they could achieve all of that without spending a considerable amount of money on it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I guess my question would be that how budget friendly do you guys thing these title could be and what kind of titles they'll be? Cause reading the details about this supposed Knights game, I can't think of any way that they could achieve all of that without spending a considerable amount of money on it.

What we've seen is concept art. That's it. The leak couldn't even guess what stage of actual development each of the title was in, or if it was just in the concept phase.

For every Resident Evil 6, you can probably fund 3-4 Resident Evil Revelations 2s. These are numbers from my ass because I can't look this stuff up at the moment. Anyway, my point is that you can't guess how large these titles are based on nebulous presentation bullet points. It could be so early that they could be left on the cutting room floor eventually.

What we've seen is concept art. That's it. The leak couldn't even guess what stage of actual development each of the title was in, or if it was just in the concept phase.

For every Resident Evil 6, you can probably fund 3-4 Resident Evil Revelations 2s. These are numbers from my ass because I can't look this stuff up at the moment. Anyway, my point is that you can't guess how large these titles are based on nebulous presentation bullet points. It could be so early that they could be left on the cutting room floor eventually.
Hm, I see. Now I kinda want the Knights game to be true so I could at least see how big or small will the final project turns out. I actually like the idea behind that game (as someone else said, it looks like "The Order done right") so it could be interesting.

As long as it doesn't affect DMC5, though.

Sesha

The way Capcom works now is that staff will be assigned as they are needed. So fewer staff will stick around on a project for the entire duration of its production. At least, that's how they want things to work. They will also outsource parts of development as is common. Don't overthink it based on what we think we know and what is possible. Many widely assumed a new MvC was impossible for a number of reasons, including money, and look how that turned out.

gunbo13

A bit different topic but Nioh so far is not bad. The combat right now is a supercharged BB. Weapon switch pulsing is my favorite mechanic so far but I just started, so have a ton of unlocks to go. I'm running a speed build as usual, high risk, high reward.

I can tell it will end up being a fun time close to BB level joy (which is a tough bar). But so far the formula isn't going to match Team Ninja's god tier stuff. Probably will come short of BB too with the overall package. I'm looking forward to playing some more and seeing how much depth I can pull out of Nioh.

Dahbomb

Yeah RE6 and DD were MASSIVE games. You could have easily made 3 mid tier games with that level of budget and staff on deck.

Sesha

I must admit, I was turning cynical about Capcom's future major titles after how SFV and Dead Rising 4 were handled. Not to mention other missteps like the abomination that was Breath of Fire 6. I felt less than enthused about their ability to deliver with MvC: I and DMC5. But after having finished RE7 yesterday, my hope and optimism have been rekindled somwhat. RE7 could have gone so wrong, but it mostly delivered. I am less scared now for MvC: I and DMC5 than I was not too long ago.

Dahbomb

I think I am more optimistic for those games because they are being made in house by Capcom unlike their previous efforts. DMC5 by Itsuno and MVCI by Capcom's VS game vets.

Though I have far less faith in Marvel Infinite than DMC5.

Sesha

Faith was the word I was looking for. I've been struggling to use the right words lately. Gotta work on it.

Anyway, I will definitely buy both and RE2make, no matter what. But RE7 helped ease my worries somewhat after a slew of disappointing Capcom titles.

I'll give DMC 5 until TGS of this year. If we don't get by confirmation then, DMC 5 ain't happening because the time table would then be late 2018 at the earliest, probably 2019. Eleven years after DMC 4 and five years after DmC. We're looking at a remake/reimagining at that point. Expectations have changed so much since 2008 with the Hack n' Slash genre being pretty much dead.

And if that leak is true and they aren't just mobile stuff and Itsuno is working on a new IP, then I don't see DMC happening at all and it'll just be a shining example of how to kill a rapidly expanding franchise with a single decision.

Just my two cents. Maybe a bit cynical, but at this point I'm not getting hopeful. We haven't heard a whisper besides some teasing from two of the actors since DMC 4 SE came out almost two years ago.

I'll give DMC 5 until TGS of this year. If we don't get by confirmation then, DMC 5 ain't happening because the time table would then be late 2018 at the earliest, probably 2019. Eleven years after DMC 4 and five years after DmC. We're looking at a remake/reimagining at that point. Expectations have changed so much since 2008 with the Hack n' Slash genre being pretty much dead.

And if that leak is true and they aren't just mobile stuff and Itsuno is working on a new IP, then I don't see DMC happening at all and it'll just be a shining example of how to kill a rapidly expanding franchise with a single decision.

Just my two cents. Maybe a bit cynical, but at this point I'm not getting hopeful. We haven't heard a whisper besides some teasing from two of the actors since DMC 4 SE came out almost two years ago.
You have much more optimism than me. In my case, this E3 is the last chance. We've done this dance for faaaaar too long now, so if it's not announced at this E3 then I just accept that the series is dead. I can't do the "maybe it'll be at the next event" thing anymore.

I understand the concerns, but that's why I mainly rely on conferences or developers themselves when it comes to announcing a game. Depending on he said she said rumors on the internet most of the time for the existence of certain games leads to a lot of toxic thoughts and feelings. If anything, RE7 should be a good indicator of how Capcom may go about announcing stuff in the future. There were no FPS and new characters rumors around E3 last year. They were developing the game for a few years and all we knew was that they were going back to horror.

I just don't see any evidence that justifies these cynical thoughts about DMC5. That mindset usually has this "I gotta be negative about something" tone to it.

Sesha

I might mad, and could go even madder, but I'll wait for a new DMC until I draw my last breath. I know I'm not alone in my madness.

But I'm not concerned too much about the possibility of DMC(5) in the near future. Capcom has recently expressed interest in reviving dormant franchises, has pushed out major new releases for every major and active franchise very recently, and Itsuno is announcing his new game this year.

I understand the concerns, but that's why I mainly rely on conferences or developers themselves when it comes to announcing a game. Depending on he said she said rumors on the internet most of the time for the existence of certain games leads to a lot of toxic thoughts and feelings. If anything, RE7 should be a good indicator of how Capcom may go about announcing stuff in the future. There were no FPS and new characters rumors around E3 last year. They were developing the game for a few years and all we knew was that they were going back to horror.

I just don't see any evidence that justifies these cynical thoughts about DMC5. That mindset usually has this "I gotta be negative about something" tone to it.

The problem is how long it's been. Major franchises already have difficulty staying relevant with three year gaps inbetween entries. Assuming they don't announce it this year and they treat it like RE 7, we're looking at an E3 2018 announcement and a 2019 release date. Eleven years after DMC 4. And that's best case if it isn't announced this year.

Expectations have changed. Hell, my expectations have changed. I'm almost a decade older at this point. And there comes a point where saying "Oh, let's wait until the next major conference" starts becoming a hollow mantra to stave off disappointment. If it happens, great. But for me, I'll stop the cycle until it does. Don't get me wrong, I'll always have hope for a new DMC. But it'll stop being an expectation and start becoming "It'd be nice if...".

The problem is how long it's been. Major franchises already have difficulty staying relevant with three year gaps inbetween entries. Assuming they don't announce it this year and they treat it like RE 7, we're looking at an E3 2018 announcement and a 2019 release date. Eleven years after DMC 4. And that's best case if it isn't announced this year.

Expectations have changed. Hell, my expectations have changed. I'm almost a decade older at this point. And there comes a point where saying "Oh, let's wait until the next major conference" starts becoming a hollow mantra to stave off disappointment. If it happens, great. But for me, I'll stop the cycle until it does. Don't get me wrong, I'll always have hope for a new DMC. But it'll stop being an expectation and start becoming "It'd be nice if...".

That's true, but the main reason for that absence was the reboot. That was going to be the direction for the franchise until it didn't do so good and Capcom stopped outsourcing to western studios. To be honest, last year was really the only year where it was somewhat realistic to expect an announcement and it didn't happen. They released DMC4SE in 2015 so even though it wasn't the DMC team that made it, Itsuno and the guy who does the cutscenes were still working on the remaster so they didn't have much time to do anything else.

Dahbomb

This year it will get unveiled, it's just a matter of E3 or TGS. Hell maybe even PSX. Technically Itsuno already confirmed that we will learn about his game.

I think it has been in development long enough that they need to show it at E3 already.

Sesha

That's true, but the main reason for that absence was the reboot. That was going to be the direction for the franchise until it didn't do so good and Capcom stopped outsourcing to western studios. To be honest, last year was really the only year where it was somewhat realistic to expect an announcement and it didn't happen. They released DMC4SE in 2015 so even though it wasn't the DMC team that made it, Itsuno and the guy who does the cutscenes were still working on the remaster so they didn't have much time to do anything else.

Adding to that, DMC4SE was in development for 1.5 years, and for much of 2013 Capcom was busy restructering, which is probably why RE7 didn't start proper development until early 2014.

I guess I'm still just frustrated with the entire situation.

Out of the three new leaks, the Knights was my biggest fear that it might've been an Itsuno game. Cause on paper, it has some similarities to DMC like Demons and using guns and magic to battle them.

DMC obviously doesn't have magic and the Knights was listed as a shooter. But still, the world and some of its ideas sounded similar to DMC, so I'm happy that it isn't Itusno's new game.

Out of the three new leaks, the Knights was my biggest fear that it might've been an Itsuno game. Cause on paper, it has some similarities to DMC like Demons and using guns and magic to battle them.

DMC obviously doesn't have magic and the Knights was listed as a shooter. But still, the world and some of its ideas sounded similar to DMC, so I'm happy that it isn't Itusno's new game.
tbh a merger of devil may cry and ace attorney wouldn't be the worst thing, right?

Golnei

This isn't relevant to anything, but I was looking through the Bayonetta 2 concept art again for no particular reason, and one of the unused designs for Jeanne's costume in Bayonetta 2 might have made for a reasonable Trish outfit.

jetrislyuqr.png

If DMC5 ever happens, I hope they don't bring back her current costume yet again - Bayonetta's changes between games were a great example of maintaining continuity with previous designs while meaningfully differentiating itself from them. Dante has seen a bit of that between his varying interpretations, but Vergil and Trish have been more static.

Seyavesh

This isn't relevant to anything, but I was looking through the Bayonetta 2 concept art again for no particular reason, and one of the unused designs for Jeanne's costume in Bayonetta 2 might have made for a reasonable Trish outfit.

jetrislyuqr.png

If DMC5 ever happens, I hope they don't bring back her current costume yet again - Bayonetta's changes between games were a great example of maintaining continuity with previous designs while meaningfully differentiating itself from them. Dante has seen a bit of that between his varying interpretations, but Vergil and Trish have been more static.

yeah i definitely want a costume change but also not something in lieu with lady's dmc4 design. i reaaalllly hate lady's dmc4 thing, especially the weird ass pirate boots and short-shorts. i think that jeanne outfit would definitely have to be modified but mostly due to it very clearly being designed around the really crazy ass proportions of the bayo ladies, haha.

the only time she's ever really had any alt outfits is in the dmc anime and that stuff is mostly just either just another top or a jacket on top of her standard outfit. i really don't know what direction they could go while keeping in line w/ her without goin' to what i keep thinkin' with that kinda classy james bond-y look that ada from RE6 has. but i dunno how you'd work in the black/yellow color scheme with it, haha. the collar + jacket flap creating a slight 'lightning bolt' pattern on that outfit is really clever, though.

Kaztinka

jetrislyuqr.png

need more optimism...

I see that Platinum has beaten Itsuno to the punch on incorporating souls like stuff to their games.

It's cool stuff, but it fundamentally only really makes sense in something that's more ARPG than CAG. Soulsborne and Nier Automata are both clearly within the ARPG genre despite having really high quality combat (see also KH2FM). Dante being able to drop his inventory upon death straight up doesn't make sense for the genre DMC sits in; likewise, being ambushed by other players doesn't really make sense given that DMC fundamentally gives the playable character certain mechanical trump cards that enemies cannot hope to be able to counter (and giving enemies access to those trump cards wouldn't actually result in a fun encounter).

There's stuff I wouldn't mind seeing DMC learn from Soulsborne but corpse drops and player ambushes aren't it.

Yeah, I was merely making an observation on the fact that souls series has affected two of the big CAG studios from the Bayo/NG/DMC trinity and Capcom/Itsuno is the only one left.

I agree with you guys that adding the "leave stuff after your death and retrieve it later" won't add anything to DMC. What I'm most interested to see Itsuno & co incorporate from Souls to DMC, is the level design. I certainly wouldn't mind having bigger environments with shortcuts and hidden paths, like you have in souls. If I'm not mistaken, Nier Automata also has that.

gunbo13

Any swag Nioh videos anyone is aware of? I have not had much time to play but was wondering if we got anything even close to NG type innovation yet (I'm aware that Nioh has limits). I'll watch after I get some time to crush through the rest of the title.

Dahbomb

Have to give props to Capcom on controlling their leaks.

Virtually nothing from Marvel Infinite leaked. I know that Ryce guy "leaked" that the game was about to be unveiled but I had known that since before E3. Even Ryce didn't know that MM and Captain Marvel would be among the first few characters to be shown or that it would be 2 v 2 Stones based game play. And we haven't heard any leaks from that game since then either (not counting obviously fake roster leaks on Gamefaqs/Twitter).

They haven't leaked DMC5 either despite everyone knowing it being in development for quite some time. They haven't leaked anything from SFV season 2 either and it's gotten so insane that both Haunts and Ono have gone radio silent on twitter. Seems Capcom is keeping things real close their chest in 2017.

We just had a big leak detailing three of their projects and know that CV was offered to work on a new DC but instead decided to do the Knights IP.

They are keeping a lid on their fighters, but other stuff are still leaking.

Dahbomb

We just had a big leak detailing three of their projects and know that CV was offered to work on a new DC but instead decided to do the Knights IP.

They are keeping a lid on their fighters, but other stuff are still leaking.
Leak about stuff that 2/3rd isn't even being worked on. That's such a non factor leak. And that Knight game is probably way far out than DMC5 which is most definitely Capcom's next big reveal.

I guess if you count the mocap pics then DMC5 has sort of been leaked already. But I am talking about legit detail leaks not just "game is in development sort of maybe". I want leaks about game engine, where it takes place on the timeline, game play systems, characters, modes. That's a leak that is worth a damn.

If you guys just want leaks about game being in development or not then I will officially leak it for you... DMC5 is being made by Itsuno. I have known about this for quite some time. But I never had to say it because it's a non factor "leak" without additional concrete details which I clearly don't have otherwise that shit would be making the rounds on IGN or something.

Leak about stuff that 2/3rd isn't even being worked on. That's such a non factor leak. And that Knight game is probably way far out than DMC5 which is most definitely Capcom's next big reveal.

I guess if you count the mocap pics then DMC5 has sort of been leaked already. But I am talking about legit detail leaks not just "game is in development sort of maybe". I want leaks about game engine, where it takes place on the timeline, game play systems, characters, modes. That's a leak that is worth a damn.

If you guys just want leaks about game being in development or not then I will officially leak it for you... DMC5 is being made by Itsuno. I have known about this for quite some time. But I never had to say it because it's a non factor "leak" without additional concrete details which I clearly don't have otherwise that shit would be making the rounds on IGN or something.
Even if the Knights was the only active project among the leaked ones, I would still consider that as a big leak since it details a lot of stuff about it. At any rate, even saying that X game is being developed by this developer would be considered an acceptable leak, especially if the game is from a known franchise. So if you are serious about knowing that DMC5 is in development and Itsuno is the one making it, then I assure you, if you make a thread about this in the gaming side a lot of sites will report on it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There's no need to just make rumor threads will nilly based on some source someone has. I believe Dahbomb, and there have been enough signs pointing to it.

But unless he's willing to give up that person, and I don't think he should, then I'd suggest leaving it be.

Top Bottom