• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should I move to in order to get off diet soda?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Good ol' H2O. It has no calories and it refreshes you. How freaking amazing is that? I havent touched pop in months.

If you exercise often your body will need water, pop just wont cut it so try to be more active.

sikkinixx

Water 90% of the time. As cold as it can be before it turns to ice.

When I crave bubbles, sparkling water with lemon/lime/orange slices in it.

When I REALLY want pop. I just have a Coke and it's so amazing.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Oh yeah and dont think stuff like energy drinks, juice or choco milk are OK. Theyre packed with just as much sugar.

RetroMG

Or I'm thinking just regular sparkling water, maybe get some flavor like Mio.

Maybe sparkling water with Mio?

Has anyone done this successfully? I tried it once and it caused the sparkling water to fizz up all over. It was kind of like a Diet Coke/Mentos effect.

I've mostly been doing plain water, adding in Mio or Crystal Light flavoring when I absolutely NEED flavor. It's working for me, along with VERY occasional can of soda as a treat.

wondermega

42 years old. On and off with soda (mostly Coke) for years. I've quit for 2, 3 months at a time, then it would come back with a vengeance. This past Nye I finally said "fuck it that's all" and been drinking mainly water since (occasional la Croix for the heck of it, but I don't "need" it). This is the longest stretch and I don't miss it to be honest.
Now if I could just quit booze as cleanly..

Has anyone done this successfully? I tried it once and it caused the sparkling water to fizz up all over. It was kind of like a Diet Coke/Mentos effect.

I've mostly been doing plain water, adding in Mio or Crystal Light flavoring when I absolutely NEED flavor. It's working for me, along with VERY occasional can of soda as a treat.

What I like to do is put some ice in a tall glass, fill it about halfway with the club soda, then either squirt the mio or dump in the powder, stir it a little, then pour in the rest of the club soda and stir it the rest of the way. This mitigates the foaming somewhat. It's still going to happen, but at least now you see it coming and you already have your flavor in the glass so you can deal with it easier.

Xe4

Banned
What isn't messed up in the US? Damn son.
Don't you have proper government regulations on tap water?
Yes, we do. I have no idea what that poster was talking about. There are EPA standards limiting the amount of lead in drinking water, and even if some places exceed it (I don't know if they do) it's still a long god damn way from being being able to give lead poisining.

A lot of shit's fucked in the US, but mostly on a regional/local level.

MarkusRJR

I've been drinking more water along coffee and tea with a bit of milk (usually decaf since I don't want the caffeine buzz) and it usually helps a lot.

Then whenever I want something more "soda-like" I get either a sparkling water or one of those 0 calorie flavor bottles (like Mio, lemonade, etc) and add only a little bit for a lightly flavored water.

Still get cravings for diet soda pretty regularly but it'll inevitability go away with time I'm assuming.

Gutek

I've been trying a few different things.

I stocked up on some Spindrift when it was on sale for dirt cheap, their Lemon, Raspberry Lime, and Blackberry flavors are really good.

I also make unsweetened tea and use crystallized lemon, lime, or orange to flavor it.

Then there is crystal light mixes as well.

I also like these a lot as well;

0029_TrueWatermelon_10ct_right-350x500.png

Orbis

On a related note, I think my issue ditching diet soda (usually either Pepsi Max, Dr Pepper Zero or Coke Zero) has been the caffeine. If I switch to something without caffeine I end up with a terrible headache and feel like shit and am pretty restless until I get my cola fix. Any tips on dealing with this that doesn't involve coffee?

I've never smoked but the misery I've had getting off caffeine diet drinks has made me incredibly sympathetic to those quitting smoking.

Tigress

I kicked soda by drinking sparkling water. For me, it was definitely the carbonation that had me hooked. Now I just drink a sparkling water whenever I get that old craving and it works like a charm.

So any suggestions for some one who hates sparkling water (it's the taste... it still tastes like unflavored carbonated water or rather that taste comes through despite having some flavoring)?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I haven't deliberately had a non diet soda in decades. Every now and then they'll give you regular coke by accident. I don't say nothin

What is the actual harm from diet soda, medically speaking?

I kicked soda by drinking sparkling water. For me, it was definitely the carbonation that had me hooked. Now I just drink a sparkling water whenever I get that old craving and it works like a charm.

I guess that's one option. I can't sparkling water though. For the sugar fix just go the healthy route and keep fruits on hand. I realize it really helps curb the craving for sugary junk food if I have an apple or something on hand. I literally take an apple or two to work with me every day.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
So, I've finally stopped drinking regular soda. I decided that I was cutting out the sugary drinks because they're awful and I've drank water and Diet MD for months now. However, I think I should keep going and get off of it entirely. My friend started drinking Clear Mountain Ice sparkling water. The different flavors are pretty good and I think I've figured out that the carbonation is what I crave. However, I'm skeptical on if these things are actually any better than diet soda. Would these be a good idea? Or I'm thinking just regular sparkling water, maybe get some flavor like Mio.

There's no actual reason to do so.

On the scale of vices, diet soft drinks are pretty much at the bottom of the list. You do you.

If you keep removing everything in any way objectionable from your life, what do you end up with?

g11

I moved from soda to diet soda and basically just stuck with those for about a year. I didn't notice any bad effects from diet soda, except maybe a slightly increase craving for sweets, but went ahead and moved toward sparkling water with some packets or Mio flavors. I liked that because I could kind of wean myself off the sweet taste by putting less and less in each time. Now I only really put a light squirt of Mio in with a meal but generally just drink sparkling water w/o anything else or just flat water most of the day.

I feel better since but that's probably more to do with getting caffeine mostly out of my diet than anything else with the diet soda. I don't buy that "diet soda causes tumors" or whatever bullshit.

Schattenjäger;243711043 said:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news

Still beats diet soda though

http://nypost.com/2017/07/17/sparkling-water-is-really-really-not-good-for-you/

Sparking water might not be as healthy as water, but if you're replacing a carbonated drink already it's the much healthier version. The second point seems to be correlative and not a causative effect.

Cool source / reference...

You mean ... you don't take EXPotemkin at his word?

KorrZ

Just make the switch to water. Seriously. You will feel and look better, its free most places and after a few weeks you won't miss the mountain of sugar at all.

Just need a little bit of self control and it's easy.

You mean ... you don't take EXPotemkin at his word?

He might be an EXPert...

You'd have to read "Undoctored" by Dr. William Davis.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072HJCJ5R/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Oh, ok... :/
So, what are the relevant scientifically-backed statistics that you're referring to?

EDIT: Oh, here's his blog page

The food you eat is making you sick and the agencies that are providing you with guidelines on what to eat are giving dangerous advice with devastating health consequences.

Who had the audacity to write such an against-the-grain book exposing ”healthy whole grains" for the incredibly destructive genetic monsters they've become?

That's me, Dr. William Davis, cardiologist and seeker-of-truth in health.

Oh goodness...

louiedog

Huh? That's like saying your mind is blown that people can't spend their days eating quinoa and plain chicken breasts because it's healthy. People taste great thing, human behavior doesn't let them forget great thing when having less great thing.

lol. Evolution! I can't help it! I have to make bad comparisons!

Oppo

You just got to bite the bullet and switch off the sweetened drinks altogether.

Plain old tap water is the king of beverages. It'll save you tons of money as well.
Once you're off the sweet stuff for a while you can't even stand the taste of that stuff anymore. It's comically sweet.

All I need is the sweet, sweet taste of my own moral superiority.

Seriously though Hoo-doo is right and this is an easy thing you can do to test your willpower and come out way ahead health-wise.

Bronetta

You're in some really fucked up state if you can't bear to drink plain water...

I know right? Where did things go so wrong that people can't bear to drink regular water and need to have it flavored/carbonated.

The notion that artificial sweeteners (and sweet tastes in general) might produce an insulin response is one of those murky memes that winds itself around the blogs, but it's never stated one way or the other with any sort of confidence.
[...]
Do artificial sweeteners induce insulin secretion
[...]
Overall, the evidence seems to suggest little, if any, effect on insulin secretion as a result of tasting or consuming aspartame.
[...]
The evidence for saccharin's effect on insulin is mixed, but either way, it doesn't appear to have too big of an impact in real world terms.
[...]
We haven't seen people orally taking acesulfame K in a fasted state and having an insulin response.
[...]
there's not much if any evidence that sucralose has an independent in vivo effect on insulin.
[...]
So far as I can tell, according to the literature there isn't an appreciable insulin effect from most sweeteners.

What are you even trying to do?...

Oppo

I know right? Where did things go so wrong that people can't bear to drink regular water and need to have it flavored/carbonated.

I had an ex girlfirend who was like this. said she couldn't stomach plain water. she chugged iced tea all day. I told her she was strange. And it was true!

More like the ”please stop the unscientific vague fear posting"

Artificial sweeteners have become the most studied food ingredients in the world over the past four decades and continue to be safely consumed in all major world markets, especially those that have studied the sweeteners themselves

Nonnutritive sweeteners and cardiometabolic health: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials and prospective cohort studies

INTERPRETATION Evidence from RCTs does not clearly support the intended benefits of nonnutritive sweeteners for weight management, and observational data suggest that routine intake of nonnutritive sweeteners may be associated with increased BMI and cardiometabolic risk. Further research is needed to fully characterize the long-term risks and benefits of nonnutritive sweeteners. Protocol registration: PROSPERO-CRD42015019749

What are you even trying to do?...

He's saying that it's a case by case basis. So unless OP wants to sit around testing his blood sugar with each one of these sweeteners to see if they have an effect on him best to just avoid them altogether. Plain water is not difficult to drink.

rjinaz

I've been trying a few different things.

I stocked up on some Spindrift when it was on sale for dirt cheap, their Lemon, Raspberry Lime, and Blackberry flavors are really good.

I also make unsweetened tea and use crystallized lemon, lime, or orange to flavor it.

Then there is crystal light mixes as well.

I also like these a lot as well;

0029_TrueWatermelon_10ct_right-350x500.png

Right on. The True Lime Watermelon is amazing and it's mostly all I drink.

He's saying that it's a case by case basis [..]

No, he's saying that there is no scientific basis for any concerns.
But he wants to sell books.

What you're claiming is basically on the same page as "Vaccines could cause autism! Some people who have been vaccinated developed autism! So you'd better check it out for yourself!"

And, before you say "Well, vaccines have a positive benefit and this doesn't" - that doesn't change the lack of evidence for any of the "concerns" that you and he are making up.

My above post summarized the interpretation from the randomized controlled trials, the cohort studies were more direct:
In the cohort studies, consumption of nonnutritive sweeteners was associated with increases in weight and waist circumference, and higher incidence of obesity, hypertension, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular events. Publication bias was indicated for studies with diabetes as an outcome

Diet soda is bad for your health.

Top Bottom